• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearing Voices at the local arcade..

The most memorable vocal soundbytes you heard in the arcade that you still recall to this day?

I heard voices all the time at the arcade, loved the hammy ones, the Engrish ones always got a laugh, and those that put so much fear in my heart it may as well have been pumping kool-aid..

my favorites

"Never.. give up."
i hear this in my mind..helps me push forward.

"Dirty Booooy!"
Or whatever the big butch-ish gal in the all girl part of Renegade was saying, i had a thing for her -__-

at the 12 sec mark.."terrifies me still" was always too freaked out to figure out what i was supposed to do to win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-XEINagmaU

the smug "laugh" your shadow would do in DD2: The Revenge, before sinking into the ground & re-emerging from within your body to kidney punch you from the inside..

Ikari Warriors 2 Victory road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1GL8LMmSkk
i always thought he was saying Roooow..effective taunt.

6oamvqf

Thought this was going to be about a ghost haunting an abandoned arcade.
Made me think of an At the Drive in song!
"..there's a little arcade where the poltergeist play their video games..
game over they said , games over they said run and get your quarters in!"
I thought this would be about you hearing ghosts at your arcade..

edit- beaten

if i am at a local arcade..then the arcade IS the ghost.

:(

A local arcade had one of my favorite shooters there in a Neo Geo cab, Viewpoint.
A lot of people tried to play it, but many didn't make it past the first stage.
I can always remember the opening hook of the Stage 1 track playing constantly.

1, 2, 3, 4, HIT IT!

VegaNine

Space Harrier : "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone... Get Ready!"

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: "Who turned out the lights?" / "Pizza Time!" / "Ooh, Shell-Shock!"

Street Fighter II: "Sonic BOOM!"

"HEY HEY HEY, Come on over, have some fun with CRAZY TAXI!"

And of course, "FATALITY".

... Tiger Robocop. In portuguese, you say Robocop as "hobocop", so it sounds TOO similar...

Nobody believed Sagat said Tiger uppercut in Brazil back in the day :lol.

shaowebb

My Arcade moments were rare as I lived hours from the only county nearby with one. I lived in the hills of WV man...sucked. That meant when I was at the mall I'd beg to go the arcade and I had to be selective in what I played because we never stayed long. What did I play? Only one real choice ever stood out.

ICEBEAM!
I almost had a heart attack.
Arctic Attack!
Cajun SLICE!
VIPER BEAM!

Welcome to the fantasy zone!! Get ready!!!
(Space Harrier)

Hadouken!!
Sonic Boom!
Yup!
(SF2)

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
(Afterburner)

Wizard is about to die!!
Elf shot the food!
(Gauntlet)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
TRIUMPH OR DIE!
FACE IT STRAIGHT, SANTA!

Funhouse?! AH-hahahahaha!
Gitcha self a hawt dawg!

FnordChan

Thought this was going to be about a ghost haunting an abandoned arcade.

Ayup, tha ol' penny arcade at the top of Lonesome Hill used to be a crackerjack place to pass the time with yer lady companion, packed full o' pinball machines, pitch 'n bat baseball games, and all manner of them new fangled video games. Then, one fateful day, a young gentleman with an undiagnosed heart condition dropped stone cold dead in the final round of a Dance Dance Revolution competition. It were a 3rd Mix+ that did him in, if I recall correctly. The arcade struggled along for a few years after that, but the death left a black mark upon it and the time of the arcade soon passed. Now it's boarded up and used as storage for Billy Earl, the county amusement machine operator, and it's mostly full a' video poker machines that got banned by the city fathers a few years back. It's cold up on that hill, and if you peek through the gaps in the shuttered windows at night you can see moonlight reflectin' off dusty monitors. Some say they've seen spectral forms floating in those beams of light. And...well, I shouldn't be telling you this, but I heard it from tha' Widow Johnson that if you go into that haunted place during the full moon, stand upon the DDR pad, and say "Boom Boom Dollar" three times while staring into that blank monitor, why that monitor will come to life...and the restless spirit of a young man, robbed of glory and his life, will come for you!

Old Man Fnord

Top Bottom