• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlyne Yi accuses David Cross of being racist toward her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Charlyne Yi accuses David Cross of being racist toward her

gvngkjwykjnyxdhc5q5k.jpg

Earlier this week, actress, musician, and Paper Heart writer Charlyne Yi tweeted about her first meeting with David Cross, who she says was casually racist in a way that left her on ”the verge of tears." Yi, who's also a poet and comedian, wrote that when she met Cross 10 years ago, he made fun of her clothes and then spoke in some kind of mock Asian language. She claims that when she sat there in shock over a successful, middle-aged comedian picking on her, he switched his accent to a Southern one and asked if she was going to fight him with karate.

Cross responded:

In case anyone misses the subtle bullshit at the end of his tweet there, Rashomon is a classic Japanese film directed by Akira Kurosawa exploring unreliable narrators who all recall different versions of the same event. Because, you know, she's Asian.

Dimmle

Love Mr. Show and Arrested Development but holy goddamn is that a textbook non-apology. Extremely gross and bad look.

Sanjuro

In case anyone misses the subtle bullshit at the end of his tweet there, Rashomon is a classic Japanese film directed by Akira Kurosawa exploring unreliable narrators who all recall different versions of the same event. Because, you know, she's Asian.

Bit of a stretch.

"I don't remember", "Maybe we're misremembering" and then capping it off with #Rashomon.

Apparently apologising while not being a dick is quite difficult.

That's more because it's the most famous film about unreliable narrators twisting the same incident than 'lol she's Asian'

Bit of a stretch.

Oh what do you know about Kurosawa?

rtcn63

Cross seems like a guy who did/does a lot of drugs and can't remember how much of a douchey wierdass he'd been while high

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

Or maybe he was referencing Rashomon for the bolded reason and not because she's Asian.

LogicStep

Holy shit.

Couldnt just make a clean apology..

Do these people not have people who know how to write a good apology?

I need to expand my previous business idea where rich people can pay to have someone remind them every morning not to say the n-word.

Pretty big fan of Cross's work on Mr Show and AD, but yeah...for some reason this is super unsurprising to me. I feel like I've heard him do pretty offensive racial stereotypes for bits before, but maybe I'm just constructing memories. It's been a while since I saw Mr Show.

Pepboy

Eh... If he quoted #SevenSamurai or #BreakfastAtTiffs, sure. That would be a direct reference because of her heritage. But are there really that many well known movies with multiple unreliable narrators?

Also it sounds like she has (edit2: Filipino) ancestry, not Japanese.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know, not sure if I'd be up for apologizing for something I don't recall doing. Now if multiple people said you did the thing, or you have a history, yeah. And really, what does she get out of making it up? But I can see why someone wouldn't immediately get down on their knees, especially when the admission can hurt their job prospects, if they don't recall doing it.

Love Mr. Show and Arrested Development but holy goddamn is that a textbook non-apology. Extremely bad look.

He has a couple of preceding tweets that are more directly a denial—or that he has no recollection and it sounds way way out of character for him—and asking her to contact him directly and others who were also there.

I think it’s not much of an apology because he doesn’t really think he said it yet.

If you don't remember doing something like that, it means either you were drunk or high, or you do it a lot. The idea that you can be that blatantly disrespectful to someone to their face and not even remember it sort of makes you an even bigger asshole.

#prometheus

L Thammy

"I can't believe I have to write this"

I'm trying to remember if that's ever been a good idea to include in a response, outside of when it's a reply to white supremacists whining.

While obviously a shitbag move, the guy is a comedian and might have tried to joke about something like this? I don’t know Hollywood should burn to the fucking ground.

FiggyCal

Banned
Love Mr. Show and Arrested Development but holy goddamn is that a textbook non-apology. Extremely gross and bad look.

It's a non-apology because he's denying the event took place. It would be weird to apologize for something he doesn't think happened.

Eh... If he quoted #SevenSamurai or #BreakfastAtTiffs, sure. That would be a direct reference because of her heritage. But are there really that many well known movies with multiple unreliable narrators?

Also it sounds like she has (edit: Phillipine) ancestry, not Japanese.

#Hoodwinked. But I don't know if that would've gone vey well.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What a goddamn shame, my respect for David Cross has fell through the floor.

Who could be cold-hearted enough to be mean to Charlyne Yi? Jesus.

CookTrain

"I can't believe I have to write this"

I'm trying to remember if that's ever been a good idea to include in a response, outside of when it's a reply to white supremacists whining.

"I can't believe they're making me do this, but I'm sorry... ok?"

#mortalkombatannihilation

How do you misremember somebody saying "Ching Chong Ching" to you in a belittling manner?

#ThreeMenAndABaby

Exactly, smh at the whole "I don't remember so maybe your memory is faulty" defence. Victims generally find it harder to forget things than the perpetrators

Also it sounds like she has Chinese ancestry, not Japanese.

Bet Cross feels really dumb for that karate comment now.

Chojin

Also it sounds like she has (edit: Phillipine) ancestry, not Japanese.

Eh we all look alike right? (Its Filipino/Filipina)

Lunar15

Man, it's nuts to me how people don't realize that even if the accusation is exaggerated or false (doesn't seem to be the case here), how much better you look if you just own up to it and acknowledge fault?

I've legitimately made jokes towards people that were, in retrospect, offensive, yet they politely didn't show offense or tell me about it. Once I realized I went and apologized and told them I realized my mistake, and specifically that I realized why it was a mistake. Does it really make up for what I did? No, but Jesus Christ, that's how you apologize.

At some point we have to all recognize that we've all done regretful shit in our past. None of us are perfect or free from criticism. But it's on ourselves to own that shit. To recognize the mistake and point out how we're going to fix it.

gun_haver

Sounds like he was probably drunk as hell, being an asshole and doesn't remember.

David Cross is part of that early 90's kind of left wing when Asian jokes/impersonations were still going on without much said about it. He threw the word retarded around constantly as the butt of a joke. He takes shots at easy targets in his stand up (basically anything with a whiif of poor dumb southern religious people or a combo of those).

Never really liked him.

Marcel

Demonstrative white guy: We need to fight racism yall, there can be no confusion on this.
POC: You said a racist thing to me and here's how it happened
Demonstrative white guy: Look sweetie you must be confused

norm9

Well, he claimed that she's misremembering, so that just goes along with it.

Ching chong karate bullshit is something that's not hard to remember coming from a celebrity that you're probably a fan of.

With that said, his apology sounds crappy. Either apologize or don't.

Or he's citing Rashomon because of, you know, the bolded?

That said, pretty fucking tacky to include it anyway.

It's been years since I watched Rashomon, but isn't just perspective of events being disputed? Cross is saying this didn't happen at all.

Blader

Or he's citing Rashomon because of, you know, the bolded?

That said, pretty fucking tacky to include it anyway.

FiggyCal

Banned
He goes all the way back to Rashmon instead the more known The Usual Suspects and Kaiser Soze?

Yeah ok.gif

I think he doesn't want to call her a liar, but that what she's remembering is inaccurate. Kaiser Soze was kind of a villain and made up his story on the fly.

neshcom

Banned
What a shameless response and to pass it off as both people misremembering is just cowardly. People remember when they've been insulted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom