• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Well taking the quote with some salt, they might be more forgiving to it being used outside MP/ PVP.

No, there tends to be very little "b..b...bb..bbut" room in these sort of things. Especially when they make it clear like they have here with the WASD issue. They will likely ban folks no matter what.

Hmm, Blizzard didn't ban the people who used X-Mouse Button Control-script in SC2 (a program that lets you bind any button to any button, including mouse scroll so you'd be able to do some impossible maneuvers with tricks).

So why would this be banned?

Because: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662316885?page=15#290

Im just trying to be honest here. I don't think its a good idea to try and find a way to get around what they have specifically stated. Any kind of flimsy past precedent ain't gonna save you from the sounds of that post. They are very clearly saying they wont allow it. IMO its not worth it.

Before you get too happy, here's the current script people used in the beta.
http://code.google.com/p/diablo-iii-wasd/wiki/AHKscriptWASD and in the first few lines it gives a disclaimer to view this blue post

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662316885?page=15#290

This is such a dumb argument. Why is this sacred to them? They stripped out and entirely revamped the skill and attribute systems, they completely redid the game's art style, they made it a purely online experience with no modding, they legitimized real money transactions between players. Why do they draw the line at allowing WASD movement because "it's part of the Diablo legacy"?

Fuck that.

Their game, their rules. Live with it. Or don't bother playing d3.

I'm not getting bent out of shape over whether or not they change it, I'm getting bent out of shape over stupid reasoning. Blizzard's philosophy of game design has never put anything on a pedestal. That's why they've gotten as far as they have. Stamping their feet and saying "JUST CUZ" (like you are doing) is not rational design methodology. You don't make games based off of internet meme-level reasoning.

HenryHSH

Their game, their rules. Live with it. Or don't bother playing d3.

KuGsj.gif
I'm glad developers don't have your mentality.

Alex

I wouldn't risk it, that's for sure, it's not like WoW where there are fees to cling to thus why there are entire armies of bots running around the world and in battlegrounds. Here they got nothin' to lose by purging you, cept selling another box.

I'm glad developers don't have your mentality.

There's always at least one of them in any thread for anything. Like some kind of fucked up hall monitor.

GorillaJu

If they were to actually ban people who use movement scripts instead of just finding a way to make them non-functioning, I don't think it'd be because they themselves don't like it as an option.

They just want to protect the integrity of their product, and more importantly, they'll want to retain their player base when RMAH means the longer they play the more money they make. A not insignificant amount of people will just throw their arms up and quit like children if they feel others are gaining an unfair advantage over them. If a majority of the audience thinks its cheating, then Blizzard will take the stance that it's cheating.

It shouldn't matter to these people how you enjoy your single player, non-competitive game (of course, there are inevitably going to be fools who actually take PvP seriously despite the fact that it's not going to be balanced for #eSports PvPing). It shouldn't matter, but you really can't expect too much out of anonymous Internet games.

notsol337

marked forever
Torchlight 2's moddable

IM JUST SAIYAN

I bought both already <3

I got Diablo 3 to play with most of my friends since they don't even know how good Torchlight is (le sigh) and I got Torchlight 2 to play with my ONE friend who will appreciate it.

Going to be a loot whore summer :D

Realyn

Oh please. Did I miss the point where "fuck that" "what a dumb argument" "fuck it, I'm still using it" became a discussion?

We have no plans to add WASD or allow it
They released a very clear statement and your ranting on for one whole page how you are still going to use it. Sorry if I'm the hall monitor saying: respect the developers and play the game it's supposed to be played.

Alex

Oh please. Did I miss the point where "fuck that" "what a dumb argument" "fuck it, I'm still using it" became a discussion?

They released a very clear statement and your ranting on for one whole page how you are still going to use it. Sorry if I'm the hall monitor saying: respect the developers and play the game it's supposed to be played.

About as much of a discussion as telling people to be quiet or dont play the game. When you become a mod, then you can tell people how to post, until then let people vent in their own ways and discuss the ins and outs of it. People discussing the legality of it, which is a very grey area like it is with a lot of online games with edits, ini tweaks, etc, isn't exactly disruptive.

Just keep in mind as great as the game looks, some people aren't here solely to fellate Blizzard, I know, sick shit right?

You may return to policing the halls for developer respect and integrity now, luckily on the internet no one will stuff you into a locker!

Dresden

I don't get what people have against mouse clicking.

Are these people console gamers?
...jesus fucking christ, do you people just like missing the point

where the fuck did you get the impression that WASD movement implementation = NO MOAR CLICKING

holy shit

uh, no

what the fuck is this shit

WASD isn't cheating, it's not botting, and it's only going to make the game more accessible for those that need it. Blizzard's response that it's somehow contrary to the spirit of the game is directly contrary to the spirit of Diablo 3 itself, a game that has inspired tons of controversy from its change re: art design to skill trees to the basic concept of in-game economy and health management.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Freki

I don't get what people have against more options.

Are these people console gamers?

If there is a superior path then it's not an option anymore. That's what Blizzard stated - they didn't want people to feel pressured into using wasd because of it superior nature.

And I'm personally thankful for that.

CoD should let me use the kb/m on the 360, just saying.

good point!

So...while working on other stuff, I came up with the perfect subtitle for |OT2|. Though I'm still undecided for |OT1|.

It's a line of dialogue from the beta, so you may be able to guess what I'm thinking of, and I'll probably use it unless there's a better line to (ab)use later in the game.

Alex

CoD multiplayer should let me use the kb/m on the 360, just saying.

Alternate peripherals and often inaccessible control methods for a console is clearly the same shit as swapping from two standard RPG control methods under the same template on the same platform.

I don't know if youre just going for maximum derp here, or what.

If there is a superior path then it's not an option anymore. That's what Blizzard stated - they didn't want people to feel pressured into using wasd because of it superior nature.

I can see the sentiment, but being that its just a co-op loot hack, I disagree with it, it's not a twitch shooter.

Realyn

which is a very grey area like it is with a lot of online games with edits, ini tweaks, etc, isn't exactly disruptive.
Picmip in Q3 is a grey area if you play public.
Picmip in Q3 isn't a grey area if you enter a tourney with specific rules.

The same logic applies to D2/D3. You can do whatever you want if you play for yourself, but it changes if you accept a EULA/ToA stating certain things.

About as much of a discussion as telling people to be quiet or dont play the game. When you become a mod, then you can tell people how to post, until then let people vent in their own ways and discuss the ins and outs of it
I like how you are making up stuff. Did I ever say my post would be a discussion? No. Have I told someone what to post? No.

it also annoys me because they directly get in the way of customization and modification.

WASD isn't cheating, it's not botting, and it's only going to make the game more accessible for those that need it
Well, lets define cheating. If I steal money on monopoly I'm gaining an unfair/immoral advantage over the over guys. Same applies to wasd and (maybe) getting to 60 faster.
Oh, and for the record. I mod quite abit in Civ5 and would use wasd myself if it would be enabled. But it isn't. And they released a statement saying why. Still I don't need to act all crazy, acting like I have a right on modability.

but being that its just a co-op loot hack, I disagree with it
RMAH? Console port? They have alot of different interests in only enabling mouse.

Freki

I can see the sentiment, but being that its just a co-op loot hack, I disagree with it, it's not a twitch shooter.

This "co-op loot hack" is about killing speed and acquiring loot faster. In order to reach an optimum I probably would be forced to use wasd - and that's not how I imagine a Diablo game. Therefore I'm thankful this isn't in and they use the classical point-and-click control scheme.

injurai

Banned
WASD wasn't put into the game because it was creating two different control schemes one of which couldn't provide the same quality gameplay experience as the standard scheme.

Boken

Banned
Alternate peripherals and often inaccessible control methods for a console is clearly the same shit as swapping from two standard RPG control methods under the same template on the same platform.

I don't know if youre just going for maximum derp here, or what.

And yet my argument is exactly the same as Freki - I'm not arguing about hardware implementation, but the functional difference.

Theres a difference between the preferred (360 controller) and the superior control scheme (kb/m). You make an abitrary distinction that this game isn't a twitch shooter, but people can take it just as seriously. People will feel forced into the superior control scheme.

valeo

So...while working on other stuff, I came up with the perfect subtitle for |OT2|. Though I'm still undecided for |OT1|.

It's a line of dialogue from the beta, so you may be able to guess what I'm thinking of, and I'll probably use it unless there's a better line to (ab)use later in the game.
It's just a topic, dude. Don't take it too seriously. We will all be too busy playing the game to read it.

injurai

Banned

May 14th bars our way, but the will of a Gaffer is stronger!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I want WASD as a secondary way of moving my character while I'm mousing around the inventory, looking at tooltips, or whatever other mouse tasks.

Freki

"I tried to count how many we've killed, but I lost track." - Would be pretty fitting for an |OT2|

Although it would be somewhat of a lie as there's a kill statistic in the char selection/details screen... :-D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Yoshichan's descent into madness should be the OT

SupaNaab

WASD feels like an extreme change to Diablo. There is a significant difference between the amount of time it takes to drag a mouse then it does to press a keybind. WASD would be standard among the top players in PvP. If WASD was allowed it would definitely be severe in effecting balance.

FINALBOSS

Banned
WASD feels like an extreme change to Diablo. There is a significant difference between the amount of time it takes to drag a mouse then it does to press a keybind. WASD would be standard among the top players in PvP. If WASD was allowed it would definitely be severe in effecting balance.

Makes you wonder why they didn't just put it in in the first place if it's the "superior control method"

Why artificially handicap your players? Lol

Cause it's the original spirit of Diablo?

Freki

Makes you wonder why they didn't just put it in in the first place if it's the "superior control method"

Why artificially handicap your players? Lol

Cause it's the original spirit of Diablo?

Same reason you don't make syndicate and x-com shooters... oh wait...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sleep is my last issue!

When Diablo 3 is released, it's a battle of survivability.

God bless.

Umbasa.

Realyn

Just watched the "not safe here" trailer and thought about the cinematics. They can't be on the dvd's can they? Afaik first retail copies were mined a month or two ago.
Then again, the quality of those cgi's is amazing. I can't really imagine them beeing in the day1 patch either.

Hum? :/

Alex

Havent read the Blizzard forums in awhile but checking the bluetracker stuff at the Diablofans site I had forgotten how much I wanted to choke the people over there.

I was mostly surprised how familiar and WoWish some of the complaints seem, I figured there'd be more of a split. Like its the same breed of "HOW DARE THIS BE CHALLENGING, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY LIKE A COMPLETE CHUCKLEFUCK AND COLLECT ALL THE LOOT ON ALL DIFFICULTIES!" kind of nonsense.

I think this sort of the thing is the one major time I'd use the word entitled. As in you are not entitled to play harder difficulty modes if you suck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Havent read the Blizzard forums in awhile but checking the bluetracker stuff at the Diablofans site I had forgotten how much I wanted to choke the people over there.

I was mostly surprised how familiar and WoWish some of the complaints seem, I figured there'd be more of a split. Like its the same breed of "HOW DARE THIS BE CHALLENGING, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY LIKE A COMPLETE CHUCKLEFUCK AND COLLECT ALL THE LOOT ON ALL DIFFICULTIES!" kind of nonsense.

I think this sort of the thing is the one major time I'd use the word entitled. As in you are not entitled to play harder difficulty modes if you suck.
I usually never do this, but ever since Starcraft 2, my brain is doing the 'you fuckers didn't even play Starcraft 1/Diablo 1/Diablo 2/ etc and you're here talking about how you're a Blizzard megafan'. I know it's not right of me, but I really do have the childish mentality of thinking WoW fans interject themself into Blizzard's other franchises.

Kalnos

Banned

It shouldn't even be an issue, either. This isn't WoW where people can (truthfully, from when I played Vanilla/BC) claim that they didn't see the content. You see all of the content in the game on normal. It's a good thing they don't have any sub fees so people can't say "I pay for this!!".

LowParry

It shouldn't even be an issue, either. This isn't WoW where people can (truthfully, from when I played Vanilla/BC) claim that they didn't see the content. You see all of the content in the game on normal. It's a good thing they don't have any sub fees so people can't say "I pay for this!!".

It's all about the loots. If you can't face the challenges, get some friends. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom