• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This guy has quite a few for sale.

00m0m_fX0v6igYtIa_1200x900.jpg

Where did you find that? Jesus.

Culver City, California. The Best Buy here had zero systems and zero games on the floor. It was all behind the counter for preorders only. There were a few Joy-Cons though. I have no idea why they didn't have any games at all. That doesn't make any sense.

180 listing in DFW on Craigslist. Lol. I think demand isn't that great and stock will fill up in stores very fast as scalpers stop buying since they can't make profit.

Grassy

A lot of stock in Australia. Perhaps the price was too high here when you could get an Xbox One S + 6 games for $200 less the same weekend.

Yep, and people in the price-reveal thread were trying to argue the Switch isn't overpriced here compared to Xbox One S and PS4... ie: "It's not a direct competitor to PS4 and Xbone, you can't compare them!". What a load of waffle.

It's not sold-out anywhere as far as I know, has there even been marketing for it here? I haven't seen a TV ad, although I don't watch a whole lot of TV.

Neonsands

Neo Member
I have no interest in the switch, but all my military friends seem to be able to find them pretty easily at their base exchanges. Just an added perk, I guess.

Jombie

It's ridiculous in the states, some retailers were limiting people to one game and one accessory. I've personally never seen that with a console before.

Cartho

My local GAME (fairly average size town - Fareham in the U.K.) sold out almost all of its console hardware at the midnight launch. When I picked my preorder up at 5pm on launch day itself all the consoles had sold out, as had Pro Controlllers, Zelda, Bomberman and 1-2 Switch. There were lots of people asking about it at the checkout and the store manager said he was surprised it was selling so fast - apparently it was a bigger midnight launch at this particular store than Xbox One - he said it was a "PS4 sized" launch for them.

Anecdotal, make of it what you will, but considering I don't live in a major city, just a fairly normal sized town it sounds like a fairly decent launch.

Demonfang

Banned
Anywhere London based I can still pick a switch up in store? My switch was defective when it arrived from shopto and i want a replacement NOW ... i cannot wait aha.

MilkyJoe

UK:

Amazon UK is sold out
Game online is sold out
Shopto is sold out
Grainger apparently has stock (I suspect a lot of people in the south don't know it even exists)
Smyths has Neon only
Toysrus us has grey only

Great but not spectacular.

Tesco and Argos have stock too.

Illucio

Banned
Blame scalpers.

Just give it 2-4 weeks when scalpers return the console back and stores will then have a ton of consoles back in Stock even though they just made a new order for more.

MTC100

Banned
There's over $10,000 in purchases in there :/ I checked my local Craigslist out of curiosity. There's over 500 listings...

Don't worry, they won't sell well, in the end they will have a lot of work in selling that stuff, Nintendo is already pushing the production up and Amazon seems to be able to ship another batch within a week.

-Wait, just checked it again and amazon is sold out again, lmao, switch is doing pretty fine it seems.

However scalpers don't seem to earn much money with the switch: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nintendo-Swi...988769?hash=item3d33bc6161:g:likAAOSwXYtYuU6Q

You can get one here for only € 369,- -ok, plus another 18 for shipping, still that doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of scalping.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry, they won't sell well, in the end they will have a lot of work in selling that stuff, Nintendo is already pushing the production up and Amazon seems to be able to ship another batch within a week.

-Wait, just checked it again and amazon is sold out again, lmao, switch is doing pretty fine it seems.

Yeah nothing could possibly be as bad as a Wii. Not that many people really pre-ordered things back then, nearly as much. But yes, I enjoy knowing that most of those investments won't be worth it :p

KOHIPEET

So it seems to be a great launch in the US, but kind of lackluster in the rest of the world. (I guess it sells like hot cakes in Japan though)

This is a bad question to ask the day after launch. The first batch more or less sold out, just like the Xbone and PS4. Now it remains to be seen what the actual demand is and whether Nintendo can match it.

EDIT: Well, reading this thread it seems like I might be a bit mistaken about my premise. Hmm.

score01

Seems to be available for walk in purchase at Argos here in the U.K.

My friend traded in a bunch of stuff at Game last Sunday to pre-order. Was told he would be in phase 3. Got a surprising call yesterday that he could go and pick up his unit. Maybe Nintendo came through with more stock than expected?

Damaniel

Banned
180 listing in DFW on Craigslist. Lol. I think demand isn't that great and stock will fill up in stores very fast as scalpers stop buying since they can't make profit.

I'm seeing a ton on my local CL too (almost half of the first page of video game listings are for the Switch) - far more supply than demand, if I had to guess. I think there's going to be some mighty disappointed scalpers in a few days.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm in Sheffield, 4th largest city in the UK.

GAME, HMV and Grainger have no stock.

Argos out of stock of both models for Sheffield and all other surrounding towns. Smyths likewise although with an estimated re-stock of the Neon next week.

For what little its probably worth this seems like a way stronger launch than the Wii U.

Kinokou

Not sold out from online stores in Norway last time I checked. Stock situation varied city by city, in general my impression is that if you lived in the south you could pick it up without preorder while friends in the north who didn't couldn't get one at all, as well as some who are getting screwed over by having online preorders they will not get until Monday since the retailers weren't allowed to send them the night before.

US -- Every Target in the Tri-State area is showing it as in stock. I actually went and almost impulse bought one but decided to just enjoy Switch on the WiiU for the time being.

Maybe it's YMMV but I don't think it's going to be particularly hard to find a system if you're really trying.

Dinskugga

Sweden.

Sold out at some stores. But not in all major stores chains

Gonna check after the weekend. I think its gonna sell more today when its weekend here.

_Clash_

So it seems to be a great launch in the US, but kind of lackluster in the rest of the world. (I guess it sells like hot cakes in Japan though)

Keep in mind, If I were Nintendo and I rolled out a switch launch I'd want stock on shelves in secondary markets as a priority to boost uptake during the heavy media attention of launch sellout in states and japan.

I'm seeing a ton on my local CL too (almost half of the first page of video game listings are for the Switch) - far more supply than demand, if I had to guess. I think there's going to be some mighty disappointed scalpers in a few days.

It's actually pretty hilarious. I'm seeing them listed as high as $800 on mine. As if that one guy is the only one who could come up with this master scheme.

Ultime

Banned
Redmond, WA. When into Gamestop to buy a screen protector, and I saw they have a few in the floor (mostly neon), plus a few accessories.

A few Zeldas, 1-2 Switch and Bomberman left too.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, wasn't there a similair situation with the Wii U? Eventually scalpers will return all unsold units and people will have an easier time finding them.

Yeah, wasn't there a similair situation with the Wii U? Eventually scalpers will return all unsold units and people will have an easier time finding them.

Yeah pretty much a week after launch Wii u's were easy to find every where. Plus all the die-hard Nintendo fans will have bought theirs and they will stop selling just like Wii u.

Striek

Keep in mind, If I were Nintendo and I rolled out a switch launch I'd want stock on shelves in secondary markets as a priority to boost uptake during the heavy media attention of launch sellout in states and japan.

That would be terrible business sense. Better to stock markets that you know need supply - strike while the irons hot - than hope that stock sellouts in one country lead to better sales in another.

Moreover seeing stock on the shelves in Australia or the UK isn't likely to make someone think "Gee, I should buy it since its sold out in America". More like "oh I can wait until its more appealing since its not rare here".

_Clash_

That would be terrible business sense. Better to stock markets that you know need supply - strike while the irons hot - than hope that stock sellouts in one country lead to better sales in another.

Moreover seeing stock on the shelves in Australia or the UK isn't likely to make someone think "Gee, I should buy it since its sold out in America". More like "oh I can wait until its more appealing since its not rare here".

Makes pretty good business sense to me, Nintendo needs to grow their markets and install base in europe, they're a platform holder and playing a long game. It's not like they're not servicing main markets, IMO making sure every impulse purchase in Europe in the next month is a new customer. Is more important than (speculation for effect) 200 odd K more sold in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom