• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should refund anyone who bought Metal Slug Anthology

Seriously, the input lag on this game is inexcusable. It's not even playable.

Just how, how did this get approved as a PS2 PS4 port?

Isn't there anything I can do about it?

I've never felt so cheated in buying a game :(

Edit:

Confirm lag with ps4 pro boost mode as well.
Only game that has no input lag is 6.

Certinty

Contact support, it's worth a try.

Saying that I doubt they'll care. Just Cause 3 got to a point where it was unplayable due to terrible performance yet they still wouldn't refund me.

Chaostar

Haven't played Metal Slug on PS4 but I have a similar issue with Cluster Trucks.

The game actually shipped with no option to invert horizontal axis! In 2017! Wth, it was only 2.99 but I still can't get a refund. Unplayable to us inverted heathens.

Come on Sony, step up.

Brannon

Haven't played Metal Slug on PS4 but I have a similar issue with Cluster Trucks.

The game actually shipped with no option to invert horizontal axis! In 2017! Wth, it was only 2.99 but I still can't get a refund. Unplayable to us inverted heathens.

Come on Sony, step up.

Damn, you can't invert it in the custom control options on the home screen, or is that just buttons?

PillarEN

Is it just like the PS2 version or is the OG PS2 version without severe lag?

Could OP have a HDTV that has large input lag compared to the good ol CRT which most of us remember playing Metal Slug games on?

Zubz

Banned
Wait, I thought the Wii version worked well. Why couldn't they just try to figure out what the difference between the two was & update the PS2 port of they're planning to resell it a decade later?

I've been playing the anthology very recently and I didn't notice any input lag. Maybe it's on your end? The games played just fine for me and was a lot of fun.

I've been playing the anthology very recently and I didn't notice any input lag. Maybe it's on your end? The games played just fine for me and was a lot of fun.

Played it last week and I didn't have any issues either. I played the 3rd game with rotating family members. Not a single complaint.

ethomaz

Banned

Played it last week and I didn't have any issues either. I played the 3rd game with rotating family members. Not a single complaint.
The game (original) has a half-second input delay... it is noticeable but nothing that will break the fun or be unplayable... 90% gamers won't even complain and play just fine.

Said that I don't believe SNK (?) will fix the original to Sony updated the ISO in the emulator lol

Damn that sucks, I wouldn't expect them to port a game without enhancing or fixing issues. Definitely get in touch with Sony Support and give them your feedback.

ethomaz

Banned
Damn that sucks, I wouldn't expect them to port a game without enhancing or fixing issues. Definitely get in touch with Sony Support and give them your feedback.
It is not a port.

It is a emulation using the same original ISO... it plays like original... the enhancements of the emulation are more in performance and graphics... not gameplay.

sounds like the same old delay. i remeber playing the old wii version, which was laggy as well.

if you have a laggy tv i image you will notice it.

E-flux

Contact support, it's worth a try.

Saying that I doubt they'll care. Just Cause 3 got to a point where it was unplayable due to terrible performance yet they still wouldn't refund me.

I managed to get a refund from them once, the customer support told me that they would never refund anything again for me when i bought the US version of p4 arena which was region locked without any sign on the store page.

Chaostar

Damn, you can't invert it in the custom control options on the home screen, or is that just buttons?

Wait there's a custom controls screen?

Haha didn't know I'll check and update my post, thanks!

Edit: I can't find any options for controller outside of games, help me, what am I missing?

Seriously, the input lag on this game is inexcusable. It's not even playable.

Just how, how did this get approved as a PS2 PS4 port?

Isn't there anything I can do about it?

I've never felt so cheated in buying a game :(
Try setting your TV in to PC mode. It made a big difference for me.

I remember being keenly aware of the input lag when I played MS1, so i tried MSX and noticed it was gone. Its probably just an MS1 thing.

Wait, I thought the Wii version worked well. Why couldn't they just try to figure out what the difference between the two was & update the PS2 port of they're planning to resell it a decade later?

I always assumed the reason the Wii versions of those SNK collections performed better was just due to the Wii just being more powerful, the Wii being stronger than the GameCube, which was stronger than the PS2 and PSP.

Wasn't this also the problem with Capcom vs. SNK 2 PS2 Classic version because that version didn't perform as well as the GameCube and Xbox version?

Jawmuncher

Yeah I remember playing that metal slug on my friends PS4. Was sickening to see metal slug treated so poorly with that input delay.

Billfisto

Wait there's a custom controls screen?

Haha didn't know I'll check and update my post, thanks!

Edit: I can't find any options for controller outside of games, help me, what am I missing?

You're not missing anything, there is no invert option in Cluster Truck. The publisher (Tinybuild) complained on Twitter that it was too much effort, went silent for six months, and then tweeted that they thought it was done already and the patch was out. People told them they didn't get any patch and they just went silent again.

Chaostar

You're not missing anything, there is no invert option in Cluster Truck. The publisher (Tinybuild) complained on Twitter that it was too much effort, went silent for six months, and then tweeted that they thought it was done already and the patch was out. People told them they didn't get any patch and they just went silent again.

Wow, OK thanks, back to feeling cheated and annoyed.

Sorry. No problems on my end besides one part of a mission in 3. Other than that it runs great. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Intel_89

This problem is quite bad in the european version of the game, from what I've seen the US PSN version runs much better.

HotHamBoy

The Wii and PS2 versions were developed at the same time. Wii version ran better because hardware was stronger.

The PS4 is just emulating the PS2 game which is emulating the NeoGeo. In addition to the input lag from the original, you now have added lag from overhead emulation AND the HDTV.

Part of the appeal for a developer to release these Classics is that they don't have to actually port the game, it's running in an emulator with upscaled rendering options. They aren't going to "fix" anything in the original code.

MSA is just a really terrible candidate for PS2 on PS4. For the record, don't buy any of the SNK PS2 Classics on PS4.

SNK's PS4 ports of Metal Slug 3, Last Blade 2 and Garou MoW are all great, though. I'm pretty sure the Hamster NeoGeo collection is also solid but it's VC-style emulation.

I've owned (and own) better/worse individual versions of Metal Slug games, but I've never really noticed what you guys say about Anthology on PS2, all the way back to the disc I got the day it came out.

I can feel the difference when I enable Game Mode on my KS8000 for Street Fighter V, when I really need it, so I should be able to notice.

You should be able to get a refund OP. I did once for the standalone releases of Metal Slug 1 & 2 on PSP, since the slowdown was too much for me.

Menitta

Wait, if the Anthology is bad on PS4, how's the PSP version on Vita? I remember when I bought MS3 I was recommended the Anthology but I held off because of this exact reason.

Fox Mulder

Yeah I remember playing that metal slug on my friends PS4. Was sickening to see metal slug treated so poorly with that input delay.

The brand new stand alone releases for all the Neo Geo stuff run like shit on the Xbox one. The companies that hold the rights just don't give a shit.

Wait, if the Anthology is bad on PS4, how's the PSP version on Vita? I remember when I bought MS3 I was recommended the Anthology but I held off because of this exact reason.

I've been playing PSP Anthology since I got my Vita at launch. Has been one of my go to games since. Doesn't have the missing hit flash problem the Wii version has, and I've beaten them all front to back many, many times without any sense of being crippled by input lag. It's got these milisecond loading pauses when cycling through the initial character select, and that's all I can think of.

If you absolutely need the very best experience, that release of MS3 was the way to go, but since there's more than one great game in the series, Anthology shouldn't be on a blacklist in your mind.

Menitta

I've been playing PSP Anthology since I got my Vita at launch. Has been one of my go to games since. Doesn't have the missing hit flash problem the Wii version has, and I've beaten them all front to back many, many times without any sense of being crippled by input lag. It's got these milisecond loading pauses when cycling through the initial character select, and that's all I can think of.
Ok that's good. Guess I'll be picking that up.

I already picked up the Code Mystics port of MS3 and fucking loved it, so I definitely want to play more of these games.

Theonik

The PS3 port by M.2 is great. (Neo Geo Collection) I don't know if the PSP versions of that are the same or if they are Vita bound.

Here's some poorly filmed offscreen video of me playing Metal Slug Anthology on PS4 just now, with my controller and hands visible. I stop a few times to very clearly demonstrate the button press->action response time... it's instantaneous for me. No input lag.

https://youtu.be/mtTkN8LNft8

JP

Maybe they will give you a refund, I've had a couple from them when I asked.

To be honest, I have absolutely no issues playing the collection. I loved it on the PS2 and I love playing just as much on the PS4. The PS2 version may not be the best version of these games available but I am definitely happy with it and it's something I often return to.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The PS3 port by M.2 is great. (Neo Geo Collection) I don't know if the PSP versions of that are the same or if they are Vita bound.

PS3 port was pretty good, but the hitflashes were wrong. Which, I admit, is a pretty minor issue. Kind of annoying how they had to seizure proof basically everything that came out on the Neo Geo for the re-releases.

TheYanger

A couple minutes in you're in the tank in that video and jumping, after killing the helicopter. button press, thumb completely off the button in the air, THEN the jump happens. clearly laggy.

Top Bottom