• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Joeku

I'm having trouble understanding the game's language. I'm struggling with the puzzle bits. I'm doing lots of head-scratching and backtracking. I'm still early on (maybe 90 minutes in?), so maybe I'll get the hang of it as we go on, but at the moment I'm starting to dread these visual puzzles. Either I'm just not very good at this type of puzzle solving, or I'm having trouble understanding what the game is trying to tell me (re. where to go, what to do). I fumble and stumble to the solution, but it seems more frustrating than it should be.

In what way are you getting lost? The puzzles so far seem to be "stand in the right place (as hinted by the floating runes) and look in the right direction". What's your particular issue there, if I may ask?

shmoglish

I'm having trouble understanding the game's language. I'm struggling with the puzzle bits. I'm doing lots of head-scratching and backtracking. I'm still early on (maybe 90 minutes in?), so maybe I'll get the hang of it as we go on, but at the moment I'm starting to dread these visual puzzles. Either I'm just not very good at this type of puzzle solving, or I'm having trouble understanding what the game is trying to tell me (re. where to go, what to do). I fumble and stumble to the solution, but it seems more frustrating than it should be.
It took me a while to understand them, to be honest. For example you have those "gates". If you look trough them from the right direction you can open a hidden past. Also try to focus and listen to the song.

Demption

The fight against Valravn made me appreciate the "cinematography" and lack of HUD. The combat looks awesome,the way they frame shots is weird thing to notice because i don't usually notice that in games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished. Wow. Will write up more later but I loved it. NT accomplished everything they set out to do with this game.

Demption

Just finished. Wow. Will write up more later but I loved it. NT accomplished everything they set out to do with this game.

This game is really commited to it's themes and the story it tries to tell. Atmosphere is so fuckin good. Hellblade will be really high on my GOTY-list.

drotahorror

Just beat it, took around 8 hours. Dope game. Not gonna lie, when I initially took the path towards Surt for my first area, I got really annoyed at the first '3 character' puzzle and put in a request for a refund and deleted the game. I thought I might have been a bit hasty so I cancelled the refund and reinstalled. Glad I did, that Surt area was the worst in the game and all the other puzzles were easier to find/understand. Not to mention I figured the 3 character puzzle out pretty quick upon reinstall.

Anyways, really enjoyed it. Definitely in my top 5 or so games this year. Not sure if I liked it more then Enslaved, but it's definitely #2 or #1 when it comes to NT's games. I also thank them for creating another game that I actually beat. I rarely beat any game it seems now. I've beaten every NT game I've played except Heavenly Sword.

8.5/10

Bit unfortunate I can't go back and get some of the focus story bits. There were breaks in the circle so I was thinking that was chapters I'd be able to select upon beating the game.

Stiler

Is there a way to turn off chromatic aberration in the game?

It's a bit way too overdone imo and it's making things look blurry for me.

Humdinger

In what way are you getting lost? The puzzles so far seem to be "stand in the right place (as hinted by the floating runes) and look in the right direction". What's your particular issue there, if I may ask?

Well, if I clearly understand what the issue was, I don't think I'd be lost. Not trying to be a smartass, just saying, I'm confused as to why it's been confusing. I think I'm just having a hard time understanding how the game works. It's different than any game I've played before.

All I can say is that on the first couple of puzzles, I've spent what seems like an inordinate amount of time backtracking, checking every inch of the geography, all the multiple paths, hitting dead ends, only to somehow stumble across the solution, almost by accident.

I get the general idea (find the right place, look in the right direction). It's getting there that has been a chore.

I think it's just been hard for me to understand the game's language, if that makes any sense. For instance, it took me a while before I understood that I should listen to the voices, that they weren't just harassing me. It also took me a long time before I understood that I should be trying to locate the source of the big, thrumming voice, and make my way to it. It took me a while to see how the gates work, and I'm still not sure I've got it. Something changes, but it can change back again, too. Maybe I was going through the gate the wrong way, or the wrong number of times, or the wrong direction. It also hasn't been clear to me what has changed after passing through the gate. Not to mention, the whole game is kind of disorienting, with all the audio and visual anomalies.

Even after I've navigated that, I've found it difficult to know where to stand. There are approximately 20 ravens hanging in the air. Where is the right place to stand? I solved that one by sheer accident.

It took me a while to understand them, to be honest. For example you have those "gates". If you look trough them from the right direction you can open a hidden past. Also try to focus and listen to the song.

Is that what's happening? Opening a hidden past? And it matters which direction you're looking through them? So when you walk through, you're walking through into another version of the world? Hmm, I hadn't considered that. I thought they were just magic gates that transformed the world somehow.

I did eventually figure out that I should focus and listen to the song, and then follow it. At first, I listened to the voices that said he was the master of illusion, and don't believe your eyes, it's a trap. I guess part of my confusion is the contradictory messages and knowing which voices to listen to...

Maybe it's just early learning curve stuff, and now that I'm getting familiar with the "vocabulary" of the game, it will come more naturally to me. I hope so.

Gitaroo

this game need HDR support.

is the game really better with headphones and home theater surround sound I can barely hear the voice at all? Does it even support physic base audio?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn this game is kinda fucked up. I wasn't prepared. Had to turn it off for the night lol. Those voices were seriously freaking me out.

Momentary

Banned
Is there a way to turn off chromatic aberration in the game?

It's a bit way too overdone imo and it's making things look blurry for me.

If you're on PC turn postprocessing down to medium.

Reposting from last page

This should reduce film grain and eliminate CA in high and very high settings

C:Usersyour accountAppDataLocalHellbladeGameSavedConfigWindowsNoEditor

Open Scalability and drop in
Code:
[PostProcessQuality@2]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=5

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=5

Set the file to read only.

Non-photomode screenshots.
4K Result
35619241064_e7620be0dd_o.png

1440p Result
36456302855_4bbc7ebe95_o.jpg

Also, at 1080p it eliminates it, but the screen is still a little fuzzy from the AA solution implemented on Very High settings.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can you use any regular pair of headphones or do you need like 5.1 surround sound headphones (that I don't have)
Any headphones - that's the brilliance of it.

They primarily use it for the voices she hears in her head so it genuinely sounds like people are whispering directly in your ears from all directions. The effect is completely lost when playing on a 7.1 surround setup (as is the case with all binaural audio).

It's recorded using one of these...

I've not picked this up yet due to "other games" but I am such a fan of binaural audio, it's been around for absolutely years but Lou Reed was my first experience of it and I think it could be so important for games.

It can be such an immersive experience in games and really wish all games would have a binaural mode as it's capable of really putting you inside the game in a way that's far more involving that positional audio.
Yeah, it's really impressive. I think it's a great choice here due to the character's psychosis.

BeeDog

In order to experience the binaural audio, is it alright to plug in the headphones into the PS4 controller jack, or do you HAVE to plug them into the receiver?

Having some issues backtracking in the Illusion area, trying to get some of the lorestones I missed but weird things like bridges having invisible walls are preventing me from doing so. :/ Gonna have to play the game a second time for the platinum I guess.

Jagsrock

Banned
Few hours in and man is this game a cool experience. For one I'm in love with the audio it really draws you in and the voices although unsettling and creepy definitely trigger an asmr response in me haha. The 3d audio is also really great during fights allowing you to hear an enemy behind you and anticipate it's attack. Visually the game looks fantastic and I love how the game toys with your perception. The combat is also pretty engaging and I'm very pleased with it so far. It feels so good when you pull of a perfect block and lay in some strong hits, it's nice that it rewards patience and doesn't just rely on button mashing.Looking forward to the continuing the journey.

Demption

This game also reminded me that i need to play DMC. That game had good atmosphere as well, and gameplay had a good flow to it. Also satanic atmosphere. Ninja Theory seems to like that sort of stuff i guess.

Melchiah

The review thread got me interested in the game, particularly the mentions about its nuanced story. I just wonder if the gameplay will be to my liking, since I didn't enjoy their previous games Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. The comparisons to Souls combat sound appealing though.

Ricitor

Dammit, the game has just gone through its fifth crash. I thought it might have been 60Hz mode but even with that off it still crashed. A real shame as every time I start to get into it the game freezes and boots me to PS4 menu.
Anyone else have this problem? Looking online I see a few mentions but no solutions. (This is on a PS4 Pro).

melkier33

The review thread got me interested in the game, particularly the mentions about its nuanced story. I just wonder if the gameplay will be to my liking, since I didn't enjoy their previous games Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. The comparisons to Souls combat sound appealing though.

The combat is very basic, but I does feel good later on when you start figuring things out. As simple as the combat is I really enjoyed it, feels pretty intense and learning things on the fly is pretty cool.

I am blown away. The audio is on another level with headphones, and it's so immersive I might have to turn the game off for right now. Freaked the hell out man...

Melchiah

The combat is very basic, but I does feel good later on when you start figuring things out. As simple as the combat is I really enjoyed it, feels pretty intense and learning things on the fly is pretty cool.

I found the combat in Heavenly Sword frustrating, so I'm worried about it not being fun for me in Hellblade as well. If it's nowhere near like it was in HS, particularly the boss fights, I'm game.

Ravelle

I feel like they could have handled the voices a bit better mechanics wise, sometimes you're listening to a lore totem and the two ladies in your head start blabbering through it.

Flarin

Damn this game is kinda fucked up. I wasn't prepared. Had to turn it off for the night lol. Those voices were seriously freaking me out.

I'm the same way. I had the day off and was planing on marathoning it, but it got a bit intense and I had to take a break. Looking forward to finishing it in the next few days. Incredible game so far.

I feel like they could have handled the voices a bit better mechanics wise, sometimes you're listening to a lore totem and the two ladies in your head start blabbering through it.

I think thats the point to be honest. Theyre disruptive and don't respect her.

drotahorror

I found the combat in Heavenly Sword frustrating, so I'm worried about it not being fun for me in Hellblade as well. If it's nowhere near like it was in HS, particularly the boss fights, I'm game.

I can't remember Heavenly Sword's combat but Hellblade's is very easy. I played from start to finish on Hard and never died in any combat. I'd say I'm above average for action games but this was very easy, it's about as easy as Ryse Son of Rome's combat. In fact, the combat buttons are basically the same, attack, guard break, dodge, deflect.

One thing that annoys me about this game (and other games in general) is how obvious the combat areas are. You'll be exploring this very tight puzzle area that's too narrow for battle, and then you will come upon a BIG gladiator room which obviously will contain combat of some sort.

It's that sort of video gamey environment design that takes me out of the experience. Especially for a game like Hellblade with its heavy focus on storytelling and immersion.

Filben

One thing that annoys me about this game (and other games in general) is how obvious the combat areas are. You'll be exploring this very tight puzzle area that's too narrow for battle, and then you will come upon a BIG gladiator room which obviously will contain combat of some sort.

It's that sort of video gamey environment design that takes me out of the experience. Especially for a game like Hellblade with its heavy focus on storytelling and immersion.
I know. Every. Single. Time. In a shooter. You enter a room with carefully placed obstacles in a size suitable for crouching behind and you know shit's about to get done. Mass Effect, Uncharted, you name it. Even the big names can't avoid that type of level design.

If I recall correctly it was Quantum Break that stood out to some extent. Then again it wasn't a cover-based shooter.

But you must not forget that we a strongly influenced by games when you play them regularly over years. Dead Space jumpscares were so predictable, for instance. This applies to movies as well. It was obvious Gandalf would 'die' in Lord of the Rings almost right from the start.

It's difficult to avoid that with an observant community which does this for so many years.

Melchiah

I can't remember Heavenly Sword's combat but Hellblade's is very easy. I played from start to finish on Hard and never died in any combat. I'd say I'm above average for action games but this was very easy, it's about as easy as Ryse Son of Rome's combat. In fact, the combat buttons are basically the same, attack, guard break, dodge, deflect.

Good to know, thanks. Now that concern is erased, I think I'll be buying the game next month, since I don't have the time to play it now.

I am blown away. The audio is on another level with headphones, and it's so immersive I might have to turn the game off for right now. Freaked the hell out man...

I'll be sure to play with headphones on then. =)

This combat is really fun to play with and see what different combinations will do. Also i had a dude backed up to a ledge and i was like "I wonder if" I KICKED THE SHIT OUT OF HIM AND FE FELL OVER LOL

Phloxy

https://youtu.be/Jq9s41fU0KA
Some gameplay for anybody on the fence.

I'm going to post my full review after I've had time to collect my thoughts, but let me just say this.

Hellblade reminds me when games didn't feel the need to all be huge,open world games that stuffed themselves with pointless quests, collectibles, and junk to distract from the story.

This game is very intimate, it draws you in to the point of slight discomfort and puts the character and her story front and center. Never distracting you with needless filler, or menial errands to pull you out of it. You go on a journey with her, through the good and the bad. And it makes for something that is still in my head even after have beaten it.

I think it's Ninja Theories best game yet by far.

I feel like Hellblade is the most important game of the year, and probably the generation.

Firstly, because of its development and releasing scheme. It’s about an indie studio taking back its reigns and go all in on their vision. Releasing a game that is essential AAA but shorter and at half the price. It’s the mid tier games and developers making a return in a world filled with big-budget sequels and safe bets.

Then it’s a game that reflects on mental illness in a way that’s probably never been done before (at least like this, so head on). You can tell that a lot of attention went into this aspect by the way that the medical counselors are the first names to appear doing the initial credits scene. The way it’s incorporated in the audio design is nothing short of amazing, you can feel the tension and anxiety with all the voices floating around your head. It’s very easy to connect for someone with anxiety issues (and who hasn’t them?)

Down to the gameplay, combat is simple but effective and packs a punch. It's easy to learn and actually fun to use. Atmosphere and presentation is on an impressive level, some of the best this gen has to offer. Audio design is phenomenal, try to play with headphones to fully experience it (3d sound). Puzzles are engaging and the game is constantly using visual trickery and illusions (and I adore those in games).

We often talk about boycotting games and not spending real money on loot boxes, hats and poke balls. This game deserves our support, to show that this is a good direction for the industry. And at that price, 30€ for a new AAA game, it really deserves it.

FLAguy954

Man some of the imagery in that first half hour is pretty tough to watch when you know people who go through these things.....
8VXuM19.gif

Yup, I'm in the health care field in corrections so I've seen how mental health can affect people.

I'm definitely picking this up now.

shmoglish

Is that what's happening? Opening a hidden past? And it matters which direction you're looking through them? So when you walk through, you're walking through into another version of the world? Hmm, I hadn't considered that. I thought they were just magic gates that transformed the world somehow.

I did eventually figure out that I should focus and listen to the song, and then follow it. At first, I listened to the voices that said he was the master of illusion, and don't believe your eyes, it's a trap. I guess part of my confusion is the contradictory messages and knowing which voices to listen to...

Maybe it's just early learning curve stuff, and now that I'm getting familiar with the "vocabulary" of the game, it will come more naturally to me. I hope so.

Sorry, wrong wording. What I tried to say is, that you can make something like a wall diseappear when you look through the gates and open a hidden door for example. Sometimes you have to make things reappear to build new ways

Top Bottom