• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

MrChom

I'm thinking about trying my hand at some repaints. I've never painted models or miniatures and I've noticed quite a few beginner/tutorial videos on youtube to get me started, but I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any particular paint brands/brush types/anything at all to consider when diving into this area of X-Wing?

I've switched my paints over to P3 as they're nice and easy to deal with. However just about any modern acrylic paint should do. I would say to avoid Citadel Colour/Games Workshop paints, though, unless they're all you have access to as they usually have less paint per pot than other brands, and have a notoriously low amount of pigment.

In honesty, though, it's pretty much a preference thing. If you like dropper bottles go Vallejo, normal flip top bottles P3, and if you want something you know you can generally always replace and see in person go GW. If you are going to paint something and haven't done much before I recommend trying things out just on paper first, as the colours in life may not be as you think they are in your mind....for instance I used an old colour called Deneb Stone to do red and white stripes on a model. This looked fine....until I added white to the highlights of the model's beard.....suddenly I had to repaint large sections as the white had made all the stone colour seem VERY grey/brown and flat.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Won two games yesterday, total blowout. Feels good man!

I'm starting to love the Shuttle, and the Firespray is pretty great.

I've switched my paints over to P3 as they're nice and easy to deal with. However just about any modern acrylic paint should do. I would say to avoid Citadel Colour/Games Workshop paints, though, unless they're all you have access to as they usually have less paint per pot than other brands, and have a notoriously low amount of pigment.

In honesty, though, it's pretty much a preference thing. If you like dropper bottles go Vallejo, normal flip top bottles P3, and if you want something you know you can generally always replace and see in person go GW. If you are going to paint something and haven't done much before I recommend trying things out just on paper first, as the colours in life may not be as you think they are in your mind....for instance I used an old colour called Deneb Stone to do red and white stripes on a model. This looked fine....until I added white to the highlights of the model's beard.....suddenly I had to repaint large sections as the white had made all the stone colour seem VERY grey/brown and flat.

Should the paint be applied right over the base paint that comes with the model, or should I spray paint it white or something first? Does the base paint layer have to be a certain kind of paint?

ghostmind

Well, I just ordered another core game, along with the Millennium Falcon, Slave I, A-Wing, X-Wing, TIE Fighter and TIE Phantom.

Now I need to study up and find some more opponents.

As an aside (since there isn't a thread for it yet), I preordered a full Armada wave 1 collection. Really intrigued by this game.

Icefire1424

Epic picture of X-Wing awesomeness.

I look at a picture like that, and wonder how I've managed to not buy everything available yet. I'm convinced I must have the willpower of a monk, having actually not gotten anything yet (even if my CSI shopping cart has had the same items in it for months now).

Either way, very impressive collection.

MrChom

Should the paint be applied right over the base paint that comes with the model, or should I spray paint it white or something first? Does the base paint layer have to be a certain kind of paint?

Probably best asked of someone who's done a repaint, you should be able to just paint over but I don't know what kind of varnish if any's on those models.

PBalfredo

Just played my first game against an opponent using Autothrusters, with my Outrider and ion turret Y-Wing. Ouch. That was pretty rough. The fact that it changes blanks rather than focuses means if they have focus, they're guaranteed to evade hit. Pretty frustrating to throw out four hits, only for them to evade most if not all of it Doesn't help that the dice hated me tonight. [/vent]

Fou-Lu

I bought the Rebel Aces and my Imperial friend bought a Defender and an Advanced, another friend tagged along with us and bought a Decimator. We played a three person game with 50 points, Decimator on one side, Defender+Fighter on another and A-wing and B-wing on my side. B-wing and Defender died pretty quickly as we kind of ignored our friend a bit who was new to the game with his Decimator, but then he came in and did us a lot of harm. Ended up with just my A-wing against his Decimator, A-wing at full shields and hull, Decimator at 0 shield but all 12 hull. Through a series of incredible rolls the A-wing downs the Decimator with both hull to spare.

The Dust prepaints basically functioned as a base coat and paint went on those incredibly well, I would assume the X-wing minis are the same.

Nete

This sunday I will go to my first tournament. I don't expect to win or even reach a high top, just do it the best I can and use it as excuse to play multiple games in a day against different opponents.

I wanted to use Interceptors, and after toying a bit with a squad builder I think I will go with this crappy list:

Rexler Brath (Defender) 46
-Heavy Laser Cannon, Lone Wolf

Royal Guard Pilot (INT) 27
-Royal Guard TIE, Auto Thrusters, Stealth Device

The alternative was to use a Firespray instead the Defender, or just a couple of INTs with a TIE swarm. I didn't really like how the INTs had to be equipped to fit everything on the later, tho.

This sunday I will go to my first tournament. I don't expect to win or even reach a high top, just do it the best I can and use it as excuse to play multiple games in a day against different opponents.

I wanted to use Interceptors, and after toying a bit with a squad builder I think I will go with this crappy list:

The alternative was to use a Firespray instead the Defender, or just a couple of INTs with a TIE swarm. I didn't really like how the INTs had to be equipped to fit everything on the later, tho.

Try switching that defender over to whisper

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

You should try to get Push the Limit onto each of those TIE Interceptors. Interceptors just work better with PTL.

I agree with wookieofdoom's Whisper idea. Whisper + Adv. Cloaking Device + Fire Control System + Veteran Instincts costs 39 points, leaving you with 7 points. Spend 6 points on a pair of PTLs for your Interceptors and stay at 99 points for the squad, so hopefully you'll get the choice of who gets initiative (you probably want to give your opponent initiative so that he has to move before your Whisper and you can land Whisper wherever you need to).

[edit] If a TIE Phantom absolutely is not an option, you could always spend that last 40 points in your squadron (after putting PTL on your Interceptors) on a Krassis Trelix + Mangler Cannon Firespray. Might be kind of cool, even if the pilot skill is low.

Nete

I don't want to use a Phantom on this tournament, so it's not an option. Nor a Decimator, for what it matters.

The Firespray is a good option, and I actually used that config in some of the last few games I've played, but I don't feel it anymore for this tournament. Same with using a small TIE swarm. I'm in the mood for some Defender action :p

I agree on PTL, tho. I had lots of doubts between that and Stealth, and if I went with the later was just due the "low" PS to dodge certain firing arcs. But even then the abuse of tokens (focus-evade) is still pretty good.

Besides PTL, there are two changes I'm thinking about right now.

1.- "Downgrade" the HLC to a Mangler, switch Lone Wolf for Predator and upgrade one of the Royal Guard with a Targeting Computer... or just go with Tetran Cowell, but I don't really dig this guy.
2.- Rexler and Lone Wolf out, Vessery with either Predator or Outmaneuver in. Mangler change is in here too, while both Royal Guard get a Targeting Computer (to combo with Vessery ability). Or, ignoring his ability, replacing one with Mr Carnor Jax, or giving something like Stealth or Extra Shield for Vessery. Even Cluster Missiles, as a troll option against big targets.

Fuck it. I'll go with:

Rexler Brath (Defender) 40
-Predator

Royal Guard Pilot (INT) 30
-Push the Limits, Royal Guard TIE, Auto Thrusters, Stealth Device

Royal Guard Pilot (INT) 30
-Push the Limits, Royal Guard TIE, Auto Thrusters, Stealth Device

I'm interested to see how you do with that list, Nete!

And I just ordered a shit ton of paints to try my hand at repainting some X-Wing ships and some other miniatures (I recently ordered some Dust: Tactics stuff since it looked interesting to paint and play). I got a mix of P3 and Vallejo paints/washes.

Wish me luck, lol.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

And I just ordered a shit ton of paints to try my hand at repainting some X-Wing ships and some other miniatures (I recently ordered some Dust: Tactics stuff since it looked interesting to paint and play). I got a mix of P3 and Vallejo paints/washes.

Wish me luck, lol.

I just wanted to say thanks again for the thread, my friend and I have been playing this nonstop for weeks now, and it's just so much fun. Gonna do our first epic game next week. Can't wait!

I just wanted to say thanks again for the thread, my friend and I have been playing this nonstop for weeks now, and it's just so much fun. Gonna do our first epic game next week. Can't wait!

That's awesome dude :) and you're quite welcome. I'm thrilled to hear that this thread was able to help get the word out on how fun this game is to the extent that you and your buddy are having a blast with it.

I still haven't played an epic game yet but I would love to try it out. Let us know how it goes!

Nete

Not exactly well :D. I ended with a 1-2 on the swiss and somewhere around the last third of the table, but my crappy decisions had more to do with that than my list.

First game I played against a guy who ended on the top4. He used Dark Curse, Soontir with the full set, and Krassis with Mangler and a couple things I can't remember. I had awful dices (Rexler died after being unable to dodge a single hit at ranges 2-3 during 2 turns even with Focus, and the Interceptors didn't do much better) but he clearly outflew me on the dogfight. A 0-100 loss, with both Dark Curse and Soontir with 1 hull left.

Second game was against another Defender user (we were actually 3 guys with one o_O), but on this case was Vessery with HLC, Veteran Instincts and ¿Stealth?, a single TIE Academy and Whisper with the regular set... except for the crew: he had a Weapons Engineer, for an interesting combo with Vessery. The game started better than the first, with the Academy being quickly destroyed while an Interceptor distracted Vessery and Whisper with a flank feint, but suddenly the disaster happened: when maneuvering to try to hunt Whisper, I did land an Interceptor on an asteroid by a fucking millimeter, getting a hit... and a double damage crit when moving out of it. It was a dense asteroid field so it wasn't easy to move around, but ffs. After that, he had the upper hand and he didn't fail to secure the win. 12-100.

On the third game I faced a Rebel swarm. Biggs with Hull, 2 Rookie X's with Hull, and 2 Z95. Using Rexler as bait, I managed to shoot down Biggs and cripple both rookie X before the Defender became overwhelmed by the incoming fire and the usual swarm collisions. From there to the end, the Interceptors danced around the Rebel ships with awful accuracy, being unable to destroy anything else than one of the X's. 52-40 for me.

All things considered, I'm kinda happy being my first tournament, although I need more practice with the Defender. I'm very surprised I didn't had to play against a Decimator, Rebel YT or double IG list: there were *a ton* of each. My hero, tho, is the guy who played 6 A-wing.

MrChom

First game with Scum and Villainy last night.

2x Tansarii Veteran
- Heavy Scyk Interceptor
- Veteran Instincts
- Mangler Cannon

1x Kath Scarlet
-Veteran Instincts
-HLC
-Navigator
-Inertial Dampeners

The Scyks are slippery but can go down VERY easily if you make a mistake and mine had an unnerving tendency to roll only 1 hit.....which against two aggressors who are evading every turn hurts. Barrel Roll and 3 green dice largely kept them safe.

Kath, meanwhile, was monstrous. Constantly surprising my opponent by using Navigator to place him in the rear arc, stop a turn before a bump, or use inertial dampeners to get 5 dice aimed right at his face. HLC turned out to be a little overkill just for range 3 so dropped in a newer iteration.

=========
789 Scum
=========

99 points

Pilots
------

Kath Scarlet (47)
Firespray-31 (38), Veteran Instincts (1), Navigator (3), Inertial Dampeners (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Tansarii Point Veteran (24)
M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (17), Veteran Instincts (1), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), “Mangler” Cannon (4)

Serissu (28)
M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (20), Squad Leader (2), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), “Mangler” Cannon (4)

Having the Engine upgrade on Kath gives me even more options for landing people in bad positions (and combined with her high PS potentially some arc dodge). Moving in Serissu also gives me potential for free actions, and combined with the green die re-roll should make the opposing player's decisions at least a little harder.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've been noticing the prices on some of these keep getting lower and lower on amazon

I decided to cave and bought the Falcon since I saw one for $21 with prime shipping (tax free, too!)

I need to get the starter set I guess... o_O so many cool ships

Is there a thread for Imperial Assault or should we use this thread for that too? I am really curious about that game too.

Icefire1424

I've been noticing the prices on some of these keep getting lower and lower on amazon

Have a feeling that is largely in part to FFG reprinting most of the early wave stuff. A-Wings, Y-Wings, and several other ships that have been unavailable for awhile are finally available again. Got quite a few "Back in Stock" notices from CSI in pretty short order.

MrChom

Have a feeling that is largely in part to FFG reprinting most of the early wave stuff. A-Wings, Y-Wings, and several other ships that have been unavailable for awhile are finally available again. Got quite a few "Back in Stock" notices from CSI in pretty short order.

FFG is still overhauling initial critical short runs of.....everything. Especially the Falcon.

Is there a thread for Imperial Assault or should we use this thread for that too? I am really curious about that game too.

I don't think there's a thread and I personallly don't mind us discussing it here, but I feel like it should have it's own. I've been thinking of picking it up in the future and if there still hasn't been an OT maybe I'll make it, heh.

ghostmind

I don't think there's a thread and I personallly don't mind us discussing it here, but I feel like it should have it's own. I've been thinking of picking it up in the future and if there still hasn't been an OT maybe I'll make it, heh.

Same with Armada, which is launching in a week or two.

Nete

I wanna be this guy... how do I be this guy?

5x A-wing Prototype Pilots with Chardaan Refit.
The sixth A-wing was a named pilot, but I can't remember which one. Maybe Sojan with Proton Rockets. There are 25 points left, so you can afford any of them, although Tycho would be a bit restricted.

His games were fantastic... and hilarious. At least the two I had the opportunity to watch, as he was on my side on both.

On the first he faced a Omnivader with Soontir and Whisper. He blasted everything out until it was Whisper vs 5 A-wings at full health. Then, the dices started to troll him hard, to the point he lost focus and didn't realize Whisper wasn't cloaked on a certain round but he planned his movements as she was, fucking his anti-phantom web. Whisper killed all the remaining A-wings.

He faced Whisper + Fat Decimator on the second game. He threw everything he had against Whisper, destroying her on few turns, and he started to bang the Decimator with the 5 A-wings he had left. When the Deci was at 4 hull points, he still had 4 A-wings left. Then 3. Then 2. Then 1 A-wing at 1 hull, versus a 1-hull Decimator. At this point he was pulling his hair out due the déjà vu from the first game... when he rolled a Crit. Everybody around cheered for the win, including his rival, until one spectator suddenly said "Hey, the Decimator has Determination, maybe he can discard the Crit". They didn't flip the damage card. Laughs everywhere, the A-wing guy almost crying...
but nope, it wasn't a Pilot crit.

Rootbeer

Banned

I saw a bunch of their stuff at my local gamestore today including Han, Chewie and the other expansion figures.

But no way am I paying $100 for it >.<

I may buy it on amazon where I can get it for around $68, then buy the extra figs at my local store since they have them for 9.99 each (harder to find them for that price online w/ free shipping)

Whoa and Armada coming too? It's too much to keep up with :p Wish I had a friend really into SW who could share the load of buying these things... lol.

Just had a solid game of X-wing, my list

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)

Rexler Brath (37)
Predator (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 100

Vs

Laetin A'shera (18)
Stealth Device (3)

Kavil (24)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Blaster Turret (4)
R4 Agromech (2)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Blaster Turret (4)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Total: 100

Overall, things went well. In the opening rounds, both armies smashed into one another taking even damage. However, my opponent made an error of ramming one of my Tie Fighters in one turn with both of his Ywings and then the next turn being too close to Carnor to acquire a focus token to use for their blaster turrets. This effectively shut both of them down for 2 turns and gave me the time to turn my full firepower onto the Pirates and Laetin, destroying both and making the game heavily balanced in my favour. The Ys made a noble attempt to destroy my forces, and I was very lucky that Kavil wasn't rolling super hot cos I know how scary he can be but Rexler and Carnor chased them down and destroyed them. It was great fun flying Rexler around and he was very destructive, but I never had the opportunity to use his power sadly.

Nete

On the A-wing list thing, seems the guy is playing it again in another tournament today. I've just seen this on Twitter:

YDemRaG.jpg

6j6UEdd.jpg

So cute, so sexy. EDIT: This time seems he was using 6 Prototype Pilots with what looks like 5 Autothrusters. His is one of the few lists not uploaded to the tournament page.

I'm right now messing with the squad builder for my first Scum games tonight. God, I need more Y-wings. And more bombs for Emon.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Welp, it's all led up to this.

yVrHsVFh.jpg

pauC86ph.jpg

A 300 point game, as I took control of the two huge ships and two millenium falcons and one space raider thingy, and my friend having the "Doomshuttle", decimator, and tons of small Empire ships.

Piloting these things were crazy tough. I managed not to run both of them into any of my ships or each other. As I was driving the Tantive I managed to run into my friend's fully outloaded Phantom, thereby destroying it. Rolled for damage to myself but came up with none.

Things were way downhill for him after that. He was fuming. I don't blame him...that's an insane thing to have happened. He's not great at piloting and I'm terrible at determining range at a glance, so that kind of evened out up until now, hah.

Using the big ships was a lot of fun. Dispersing energy and deploying different actions was awesome, and he managed to kill the front part of the Tantive fairly quickly. I didn't realize that it wasn't actually a big deal to have lost the front end, as I still had secondaries in the back, and I quickly ran into his Doomshuttle and blew through his decimator before he forfeited.

He claims it's completely imbalanced, but I don't think it is...so he'll be piloting the big ones and I'll have Empire on my side (I'm thinking two decimators, two slaves, and some small ships) so we'll see how it goes. Can't wait for the Empire big ship.

ghostmind

Wow, that is magnificent.

Those big ships make for amazing models, as well as game elements. I'm working my way through the smaller ships (just got an order in with the Falcon, Slave I, Lamba Shuttle, 2nd Base Game, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and a starfield play surface), but I will have to pick those up in the near future.

Man that looks so fun. I really need to try an epic game asap.

In other news, the paints I ordered are starting to come in and I'm going to be trying my first repaint relatively soon. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the HWK-290 first. I'm also going to be painting miniatures from Dust: Tactics and Imperial Assault (Imp Assault hasn't come in yet but I ordered it).

Hopefully I can pull off some decent paintjobs!

Nete

n7Lt3so.jpg

And my wallet can't be more empty :(. I won't play the game, but I know for sure someday I will buy some of Armada ships just for how pretty they are.

In other news, this saturday I have another tournament, and I will use another weird list. This time, with Scum:

IG-88B &#8212; Aggressor 36
-Predator (3), Advanced Sensors (3), "Mangler" Cannon (4), Inertial Dampeners (1), Autothrusters (2)

Kavil &#8212; Y-Wing 24
-Expert Handling (2), Autoblaster Turret (2), Unhinged Astromech (1)

N'Dru Suhlak &#8212; Z-95 Headhunter 17
-Veteran Instincts (1), Cluster Missiles (4)

I would loved to use Lone Wolf on N'Dru (dropping Inertial Dampeners), but I don't have the card nor can borrow any in time. I would also loved to use Predator on Kavil instead Expert Handling (and VI), but then again I don't have a second one. Or Deadeye instead VI, but... yep, that. I should really start looking on Ebay for these things.

I can't change the list, as the deadline has passed. I will test it tomorrow on a couple games, tho.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So, had another epic battle with my friend. The last time I had the two huge ships, two millennium falcons and one space raider. This time he was piloting the two huge ships with two Y-wings, a B-wing, and the HWK.

PUSZUgIh.jpg

2glgYUsh.jpg

Mb9CAOJh.jpg

I had five TIE Fighters (one Howlrunner), four Interceptors (a mix of high skilled ones), the shuttle, a TIE Advanced with missiles and two Slave ships.

I was completely annihilated.

It was stupid of me to go right for the small ships as I ignored the big ships, as his large ship had all turbolasers charged and was able to attack about ~6 times with just the huge ship in one turn, destroying two ships. Then his transport huge ship fired the ION blast, which is a secondary one use hit that gave one damage to five of my ships and one ION token each (!). Finally he easily destroyed my Slave before I had to forfeit.

I think next time I should go all out on the huge ships...why I didn't do that before, well, that was a stupid move. But man are those games draining. Takes about 5-6 hours per game, and moving 13 ships is a workout, haha. We're going to be playing 100 point games for a while before getting back into the big ships again. Still lots of fun, but man, is it hard to take those huge guys out.

Jamaha

Neo Member
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that according to the rules the long edges should be the player edges, i.e. the deployment should be done along those. Might change the flow of battle somewhat.

Either way, looks great. I'm still stuck playing 100-point games. Mainly because I don't have a large enough table. Thankfully that acts as a some kind of restraint because otherwise I'd have already gone and bought the Tantive IV.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that according to the rules the long edges should be the player edges, i.e. the deployment should be done along those. Might change the flow of battle somewhat.

I was thinking the same, actually. I was under the impression (due to seeing images of other Epic games) that players start on the long edges, not on the short edges.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was thinking the same, actually. I was under the impression (due to seeing images of other Epic games) that players start on the long edges, not on the short edges.

Oh yeah? I just assumed it would be the short edges again. I thought I read someone saying short edges for Epic games but I could be totally wrong.

Actually now that I think about it I was very low on space in deploying my small ships on the short end. Huh! Still made for an interesting setup though.

Nete

A new FAQ has been released, and the madness arrived at FFG forums. Along the Scum things, there is a Phantom nerf. Now, they decloak before any ship moves.

5QZ7MSh.png

I actually love the change, either to use it or to face it. The ship will still be awesome on what it should (glass-cannon with great defense against lower PS), but its stupid mobility won't be insulting to the rival. You will need to think more when using them, and it opens some interesting things. Hell, they will be even able to block other ships and then move to hunt others... Echo should be excellent on this. Sadly it won't go in effect until April 15th. I was looking forward to saturdays tournament :(*

*At the end we only had time for one test game, but the list worked great. Clear victory against a Farlander-B-B-X list, losing only Kavil after a bad move by my part. N'Dru and his missiles are hilarious.

A new FAQ has been released, and the madness arrived at FFG forums. Along the Scum things, there is a Phantom nerf. Now, they decloak before any ship moves.

5QZ7MSh.png

I actually love the change, either to use it or to face it. The ship will still be awesome on what it should (glass-cannon with great defense against lower PS), but its stupid mobility won't be insulting to the rival. You will need to think more when using them, and it opens some interesting things. Hell, they will be even able to block other ships and then move to hunt others... Echo should be excellent on this. Sadly it won't go in effect until April 15th. I was looking forward to saturdays tournament :(*

*At the end we only had time for one test game, but the list worked great. Clear victory against a Farlander-B-B-X list, losing only Kavil after a bad move by my part. N'Dru and his missiles are hilarious.

I would say this a pretty elegant nerf. It doesn't outright make the Phantom unplayable, but it does slightly take away some of its crazy maneuverability. As a big flier of the Phantom, I am okay with this change. I simply just need to readjust my tactics is all.

Won

Just saw the price tag for the Armada box. Nearly had a heart attack. I knew it's gonna be more expansive, but actually seeing it..... :(

Armada stuff looks pretty and sounds fun, but I'm gonna have to stay away from that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I still wanna get in maybe 20 more games of XWing before I decide on Armada.

Plus I kinda gotta figure out where to put all this stuff, haha.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I dunno, I think the Phantom got better. Ioning it doesn't stop it from decloaking anymore, and you no longer can block its decloak (it would have to block its own decloak by landing in a bad spot the previous turn). Sure, the Phantom can't decloak and then move at the same time, but it still has hyper mobility at the end of the day and now there are fewer counters to it.

I think the change makes all squadrons slightly more competitive against Phantoms in a general way, but eliminates two hard counters to Phantoms.

Just saw the price tag for the Armada box. Nearly had a heart attack. I knew it's gonna be more expansive, but actually seeing it..... :(

Armada stuff looks pretty and sounds fun, but I'm gonna have to stay away from that.

Yeah, Armada is for the 1 percenters.

I personally like the decloak errata. I'm looking forward to how this will potentially change the meta as a whole. I'm assuming this change combined with Autothrusters will make Soontir Fel even more commonly used, though.

Saw 2 dudes playing it at the shop last night.

Looked awesome.

ghostmind

Since we don't have a dedicated Armada thread (yet), I thought I would introduce the 1st wave products, and also the 2nd wave, which were just revealed, and will be available in the 3rd quarter of 2015.

1bMfjM5.png

Core Game (includes Victory-class Star Destroyer, Nebulon-B Frigate, CR90 Corellian Corvette, and ten squadrons total of X-Wings and TIE Fighters). $99.95USD

a96p8rK.png

Wave I (currently in shipment)
jcgHQOu.jpg

Victory-class Star Destroyer ($39.95)

Gladiator-class Star Destroyer ($29.95)

Imperial Fighter Squadrons ($19.95)

Assault Frigate Mark II ($39.95)

Nebulon-B Frigate ($19.95)

CR90 Corellian Corvette ($19.95)

Rebel Fighter Squadrons ($19.95)

Wave II (3rd Quarter 2015)
6QuLCCU.jpg

Imperial-class Star Destroyer ($49.95)

Imperial Raider ($19.95)

Home One ($39.95)

MC30c Frigate ($29.95)

Rogues and Villains ($19.95)

Armada seems so cheeky to me. The Rebellion could never really go toe to toe against the Empire in capital ship engagements. Even a Victory class should be capable of easily wrecking a Frigate and Corvette. Going to be even more ludicrous when they get access to the Imperial class.

Icefire1424

Armada seems so cheeky to me. The Rebellion could never really go toe to toe against the Empire in capital ship engagements. Even a Victory class should be capable of easily wrecking a Frigate and Corvette. Going to be even more ludicrous when they get access to the Imperial class.

Some "suspension of disbelief" is necessary definitely, but I do think it's pretty cool to be able to play out some of the capital ship battles that weren't really present in the films - only got a "taste" of it at the end of Jedi, and that was still more focused on the fighters.

I will say however, that the price point of most of the capital ships will probably put it out of the range of quite a few gamers though. Miniatures are expensive, but given that some of these ships cost $50 on their own...yikes. Granted, I know there will still be some epic collections out there, but I don't see this one getting the same following X-Wing did due to the price of admission.

Armada definitely looks awesome (and thanks for making that comprehensive wave 1 & 2 post!), but I'm going to be passing on it. I might give it a chance later in its life cycle when it gets a bit cheaper, though.

I started work this week on my first repaint featuring the HWK-290. I wasn't going for anything radically different since I was mainly aiming to change the base color of the Moldy Crow to a lighter greenish-grey color, but I did repaint all of the accents and details after going over the entire ship with two thin coats of a pastel green.

More than anything I was using this repaint as an exercise in practicing and applying techniques like keeping the paint thin/consistent, detailing the accents (those stripes on the nose were a pain in the ass), and weathering/using a wash. I still need to paint the rear thrusters and highlight a bit around the ship as I only just applied the black wash to it last night after getting the base colors down. I also might add in some light blaster damage here and there before finally adding the matt varnish layer (I'll be using a gloss varnish on the cockpit glass).

These pictures don't show the turret very well since the lamp is directly above the mini - I just took these really quickly before heading off to work. Feedback welcome!

Top Bottom