• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 PC dropping GFWL for Steamworks

Gbraga

frnXxyM.gif

Welp, looks like I'll be buying this on PC then. After the crap I had to deal with for AE because of GFWL, I'm more excited about this than any of the new characters.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Honestly, if Capcom is dropping Games for Windows, it's time for them to rework Lost Planet: Colonies
losing cross-platform play. ;_;
, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2/Off the Record, Devil May Cry 4, and Biohazard 5. I think 6 uses Steam and Revelations uses Steam for sure. So that's 6 or so titles that need reworking. I'd prefer them to focus on Bio 5, Off the Record and Devil May Cry 4 exclusively though.

Grief.exe

Honestly, if Capcom is dropping Games for Windows, it's time for them to rework Lost Planet: Colonies
losing cross-platform play. ;_;
, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2/Off the Record, Devil May Cry 4, and Biohazard 5. I think 6 uses Steam and Revelations uses Steam for sure. So that's 6 or so titles that need reworking. I'd prefer them to focus on Bio 5, Off the Record and Devil May Cry 4 exclusively though.

DMC4 actually doesn't use GFWL

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I got a lot of questions about this on Twitter since EVO so I am trying to put together a Capcom Unity post that answers some questions about the PC version. No idea when it will be live but I am working on it.

TheSeks

Yes i heard about that, and it is awesome. But I still want them to remove the GFWL-Cancer from Dark Souls 1 too.

That's not gonna happen since it was a quickie port and used 360/"GfWL" multiplayer matchmaking as code for the soul-stone finding.

Gbraga

I got a lot of questions about this on Twitter since EVO so I am trying to put together a Capcom Unity post that answers some questions about the PC version. No idea when it will be live but I am working on it.

Truly our bacon of hope

El Sloth

Banned
Truly the bacon of hope. Deliver us the message from the top of the mountain.

Edit: Step off, Gbraga! I saw the appropriate tag first!

TheSeks

Well balls.
GFWL is so much fail....

Well, it's not like it's technically impossible... they could do it. But there's no "point" for them to do it when they'll have a sequel out within a year that won't use it and people will play that over the first one. Like I said though: They used the 360 matchmaking code and it was a "quick" port of the 360 version since the framework/API/etc. was there for quick porting to PC (and it shows in how "good" the port is in terms of options/etc.) since they initially had no plans for DS1 to even be on PC.

It's not a "never say never" situation but more "outlook unlikely."

@haunts: I hope you have tons of Cody outfits in said post. Mmmm yes. Only reason I haven't bought the PC port yet: I'm waiting to see the Cody outfits given for free to Ultra buyers.
You should be given that first set of alts out for free anyway and refunding the buyers on consoles because really... screw paying for outfits. :/

Kamina

Golden Boy
Well, it's not like it's technically impossible... they could do it. But there's no "point" for them to do it when they'll have a sequel out within a year that won't use it and people will play that over the first one. Like I said though: They used the 360 matchmaking code and it was a "quick" port of the 360 version since the framework/API/etc. was there for quick porting to PC (and it shows in how "good" the port is in terms of options/etc.) since they initially had no plans for DS1 to even be on PC[/'i].

It's not a "never say never" situation but more "outlook unlikely."

Okay, I see. Well thanks for the Informations. I guess once DS2 is out a lot people will move from DS to that anyway.
I am madly excited for that game.

I think it's pretty much set that Dark Souls 2 won't use GFWL, given how many other developers are abandoning it in favour of Steamworks.

Grief.exe

DS2 PC port is looking so good.

Switch to dedicated servers, Steamworks instead of GFWL, PC lead platform. My hype level is ridiculous.

LQX

I do see why this is shocking anymore. Most likely any game coming to PC will not be using GFWL again.

Orayn

That makes me think, how well does Steamworks handle cheaters/hackers? They ran fairly wild on GFWL in the first game.

You have the option to secure your servers with Valve Anti-Cheat if you use Steamworks, which offers some level of hack/cheat detection and causes players to be banned from all games with VAC if they get banned from one. The onus is still mostly on the developers when it comes to catching major cheaters, though.

Nabs

You have the option to secure your servers with Valve Anti-Cheat if you use Steamworks, which causes you to be banned from all games with VAC if you get banned from one. The onus is still mostly on the developers when it comes to cheat detection, though.

You get banned from all games using that engine, not all VAC enabled games. VAC is pretty decent nowadays, it just takes time to hit hackers since they prefer to ban in waves.

Bluth54

You get banned from all games using that engine, not all VAC enabled games. VAC is pretty decent nowadays, it just takes time to hit hackers since they prefer to ban in waves.

Early VAC banned you from all games on the same engine, but I believe they stopped doing that a couple of years ago and now if you get VAC banned on newer games it's just for that game.

if you don't see the difference between GFWL and Steam, you don't play PC games very much

I know that Steamworks is more functional at a base level. They're about the same at the end game though. Ultimately, Steamworks only benefits Steam/Valve fanboys.

Top Bottom