• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
We are near...

1g3ts.gif

----

I'm interested

Cornbread78

I'm smelling either The Last Guardian or FFvsXIII will be a launch title for PS4. It will make a bigger impact than releasing for PS3 in its late cycle.

Yup, we've been speculating this for quite some time and the timeline for those games and the roadmap seem to cross streams very nicely.....

They're looking very close in terms of both power and design.

their designs seem totally different to me...one will have the advantage over the other in certain areas. coding to the metal for these systems will yield great results for the first parties.

Orayn

their designs seem totally different to me...one will have the advantage over the other in certain areas.

What I meant was that both of them using AMD CPUs and GPUs from the same series makes the architectural differences much, much smaller than the HD Twins. Hard to say how the memory will pan out.

No way. Handhelds are a very different market in Japan, and there's no way they'd let themselves miss the holiday season here.

They're looking very close in terms of both power and design.
Thanks. It seemed the Orbis is weaker because of the discrepancy in RAM count. The good thing is both consoles will be easy to develop for.

Kerub

Banned
No way. Handhelds are a very different market in Japan, and there's no way they'd let themselves miss the holiday season here.

Didn't PS3 have a similar launch? Or maybe that was just in europe. It came out in march over here in EU at least.

Orayn

Didn't PS3 have a similar launch? Or maybe that was just in europe. It came out in march over here in EU at least.

My memory is hazy, but wasn't the PS3 delay in Europe more of a logistics/distribution thing? Like, they were aiming for Q4 but that turned out not to be feasible.

1stStrike

Banned
In speed. 4GB is not enough for a next gen game console with a next gen OS that should bring awesome new features, one of them being multitasking.

You need to go and read up on what GDDR is actually used for.

4 GB of GDDR5 is MORE than enough. My bets are that it'll actually end up with 2 GB, though, cause 4 GB of GDDR5 would be pretty insane.

I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 670 pretty soon, and that's going to cost me about $300~ or so and that only has 2 GB of GDDR5.

There's going to be separate memory in the system for the OS / system processes.

So the next playstation and Xbox will not offer any jump in visuals over current PC gaming as the 360 did ?

PC visuals will jump because the minimum spec (still needing to program for eventual 360 ports), will be raised by the entrance of a higher minimum 720. Think about this: current PC games still need to spec for a version running on a 512 ram machine (graphics, physics and AI that can scale to that denominator), when 720 arrives - that lower bar is raised.

PC gamers should be enthused by arrival of Orbis and 720. This will equate to PC games being less gimped by needing to run on current way under spec'd systems (console).

Orayn

They blamed it on slow Blu-ray production IIRC.

Ah, right. Sounds like we don't have anything with unstable supply this time around, so I can't see the same type of delay happening again.

Sony would be insane not to at least target Q4 in North America and Europe.

So the next playstation and Xbox will not offer any jump in visuals over current PC gaming as the 360 did ?

360 offered visuals comparable to recent PC games at a lower resolution and framerate.

Yawnier

Banned
With these leaked specs, is it safe to say that the PS4/Orbis is possibly going to be somewhere between $400 - $500 at launch, at least in NA?

I'm telling you PS4 won't be out till Feb 2014 for USA.

That matches what I've been hearing from devs, that Sony had pushed the launch back to 2014 because it wouldn't be ready for 2013. But I wonder if they are rushing it so MS doesn't have a holiday season to gain momentum before the PS4 launch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So the nextbox will be much more powerful than Orbis?

I believe the run of current rumours suggest Orbis has a more powerful GPU, less but faster RAM. CPU wise I'm not sure what the latest is. There's talk of Durango have 8 1.6Ghz cores vs 4 3.2Ghz cores in PS4 or a higher number of Jaguars also at a lower clock. I'm not sure we know anything about PS4's OS, but rumours were that Durango will have a 'big' OS wrt resource use.

So, if those things are true, I think you could make arguments on either being more or less powerful than the other. Because I think you're looking at two systems each with relative strengths and weaknesses. But that in the end will offer a similar class of performance and capability. Kind of similar to PS3 and 360 - different philosophies converging on similar performance class.

This is very speculative though. We really need more information, particularly specifics on Durango's GPU, and on OS resource reservations for both.

alphaNoid

Banned
With these leaked specs, is it safe to say that the PS4/Orbis is possibly going to be somewhere between $400 - $500 at launch, at least in NA?

Perhaps yes, however I do believe either Sony or MS is going to offer a $399 model. Don't be shocked if you see MS offer a $99+Live subscription model either. They already did that this gen, and their sales spiked after IIRC.

Orayn

God willing, yeah. I'd be seriously afraid if they went with $500/600 again.

PC visuals will jump because the minimum spec (still needing to program for eventual 360 ports), will be raised by the entrance of a higher minimum 720. Think about this: current PC games still need to spec for a version running on a 512 ram machine (graphics, physics and AI that can scale to that denominator).

Though we are starting to see some actual downports like BF3 and The Witcher 2, and obvious cross-gen games like Watch_Dogs and Star Wars 1313. The live demos of the latter, which were running on PC, should be a pretty decent indication of where Durango/Orbis visuals are headed.

Tonidayo

Sony has been performing very poorly marketing-wise these recent years regarding hardware and first-party titles. The mass public, even today, is still unaware what a PS VITA actually is. I'm not sure why SONY isn't firing these marketing leaders, but as long as they don't these will be responsible for all future financial impacts, negative ones that is as it is with the catastrophic PS3. Both launches of PS3 and VITA were massive failures, and it certainly looks like history will repeat itself. Entertainment is part of everyone's lives, and consumers may get anything they want from competition or other products. The PLAYstation has been created to fullfill gaming satisfaction needs, and one of the reasons Sony has completely lost track of the gaming market despite having more and more people joining this gaming culture is because they have shifted priorities. Or maybe, these marketers working at SONY didn't even know what the PLAYstation was all about. For my internet browsing needs, i use my ipad. For my movies needs, i use my laptop. For my music needs, i use my ipod. Each of us characterize a product with a specific function, that we stick with. The PLAYstation was characterized as a product to satistfy one's gaming needs. That was not taken deeply into consideration, causing loss of millions of potential consumers .

I love talking marketing, i wish i could start a thread and i tried but it appears i don't have enough priviledges. Maybe one of you could have one erupted where we could discuss gaming-related global marketing strategies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I want a conservatively spec'd, developer-friendly machine with a base price of $300 and an emphasis on DD and things other than AAA $60 retail+$50 season pass mainstream action schlock.

Your posts usually aren't this shitty.

Just the thought of MS and Sony launching at or near the same time is blowing my mind! This is going to be EPIC! On all levels... including meltdowns and tantrums!

goomba

Banned
Ah, right. Sounds like we don't have anything with unstable supply this time around, so I can't see the same type of delay happening again.

Sony would be insane not to at least target Q4 in North America and Europe.

360 offered visuals comparable to recent PC games at a lower resolution and framerate.

Thats subjective, personally I thought gears of war showed a "next gen"leap over any recent PC games.

jaosobno

Q4 2013 launch?

Engage high pitched voice mode: FUCK YEAH!!!

And I'd take 4 GB GDDR5 over 8 GB DDR3 any time of day, thank you.

Perhaps yes, however I do believe either Sony or MS is going to offer a $399 model. Don't be shocked if you see MS offer a $99+Live subscription model either. They already did that this gen, and their sales spiked after IIRC.

I'd argue they'll have a $299 or unlikely $199 Live model. No way a $99 model, not until way after (years) launch.

alphaNoid

Banned
I'd argue they'll have a $299 or unlikely $199 Live model. No way a $99 model, not until way after (years) launch.

Perhaps yes, you are probably right. So a $199+Sub sounds more realistic. I honestly feel it will be like $399 or $199+sub.

So nextbox is stronger than orbis? lol good luck Sony.

Debatable. If the Orbis has less, but more powerful cores it means it can do more with each core. However its a recent trend to actually lower core speed and add cores, separate tasks onto individual cores to increase performance. A 4Core Orbis would be good, but it is fair to assume that an 8Core, slower clocked 720 would be more flexible. I will say this, lower clock + more cores is a more modern and up to date design for 2013 and beyond. Its happening in processor design all over, desktop, and mobile.

Time will tell, but I suspect they will be HD twins next go around. Multiplat games will look/run similar on each system and web sites will do comparison videos. First party games will shine on each platform, taking advanced of the metal.

i-Lo

In speed. 4GB is not enough for a next gen game console with a next gen OS that should bring awesome new features, one of them being multitasking.

Look at what ms and sony brought to the table with 32MB and 50MB respectively. Are you saying that is now going to rise 20 folds in PS4's case (I am not counting XB3 here because rumours are that large chunk for ram will be reserved for the Kinect 2 as well OS)?

What are you people expecting out of a console designed to play games first and foremost? I am not happy with 4GB GDDR5 if the multimedia related OS tasks take up a quarter of it (which is why I wondered whether there'll be a slower cache of LPDDR3 akin to PS Vita). But you guys should get your priorities straightened out when it comes to a "game" console. It's not a PC. Personally, I don't know what would require the hearsay exorbitant 1GB for the OS.

injurai

Banned
Sony has been performing very poorly marketing-wise these recent years regarding hardware and first-party titles. The mass public, even today, is still unaware what a PS VITA actually is. I'm not sure why SONY isn't firing these marketing leaders, but as long as they don't these will be responsible for all future financial impacts, negative ones that is as it is with the catastrophic PS3. Both launches of PS3 and VITA were massive failures, and it certainly looks like history will repeat itself. Entertainment is part of everyone's lives, and consumers may get anything they want from competition or other products. The PLAYstation has been created to fullfill gaming satisfaction needs, and one of the reasons Sony has completely lost track of the gaming market despite having more and more people joining this gaming culture is because they have shifted priorities. Or maybe, these marketers working at SONY didn't even know what the PLAYstation was all about. For my internet browsing needs, i use my ipad. For my movies needs, i use my laptop. For my music needs, i use my ipod. Each of us characterize a product with a specific function, that we stick with. The PLAYstation was characterized as a product to satistfy one's gaming needs. That was not taken deeply into consideration, causing loss of millions of potential consumers .

I love talking marketing, i wish i could start a thread and i tried but it appears i don't have enough priviledges. Maybe one of you could have one erupted where we could discuss gaming-related global marketing strategies.

It's more of a problem with them not having the assests to just go gung-ho with advertisement. Sonys value has dropped incredibly over the past years as a whole. While SCE is arguably their most successful branch but they can't just be loose with their spending. I think thy are doing great with the PS3 and if they get a strong launch off next-gen they could probably get the Vita to ride along side the PS4 in success.

The_Monk

I really did not wanted to go with 2 consoles again next-gen like I did with the PS360 but if MS gives more reasons to subscribe Gold (by that I mean something similar to PS Plus), if I can still have my 360 Account with all my GoD, XBLA and 360 games nextbox compatible and if they release it months or even a year earlier than Sony I might bite on Day One due to hype and upcoming Xbox exclusives.

Then I would have to get PS4 sure, but for someone who love his PS3 (Sony is amazing in Europe in my opinion) and only uses the 360 for its exclusives this hype sure is looking interesting for myself.

Me too. I would like to read/participate in a similar thread with this subject!

Cornbread78

I believe the run of current rumours suggest Orbis has a more powerful GPU, less but faster RAM. CPU wise I'm not sure what the latest is. There's talk of Durango have 8 1.6Ghz cores vs 4 3.2Ghz cores in PS4 or a higher number of Jaguars also at a lower clock. I'm not sure we know anything about PS4's OS, but rumours were that Durango will have a 'big' OS wrt resource use.

So, if those things are true, I think you could make arguments on either being more or less powerful than the other. Because I think you're looking at two systems each with relative strengths and weaknesses. But that in the end will offer a similar class of performance and capability. Kind of similar to PS3 and 360 - different philosophies converging on similar performance class.

This is very speculative though. We really need more information, particularly specifics on Durango's GPU, and on OS resource reservations for both.

Now that is what I've been looking for. Good breakdown. It's teh little things that will matter with performance then.

Now if Sony can not screw everything up at launch with pricing, availability, launch software, marketing, etc....

I'll probably get both anyhow like I did with the Wii and PS3.

So nextbox is stronger than orbis? lol good luck Sony.

Reading is fundamental.....

reading-rainbow.png

Sorry dude, I had no idea other, but I had to find that gif

Mrbob

I don't see a scenario where Sony launches in Japan first. Worldwide studios is heavily western based, and more content will be ready. If anything, the lack of Japan development will hurt the launch in Japan.

Orayn

Thats subjective, personally I thought gears of war showed a "next gen"leap over any recent PC games.

Gears of War got a PC version that was considered not very demanding to run at higher resolutions and twice the frame rate when it came out.

Top Bottom