• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best new fighting games released this Gen *to-date*?

HotHamBoy

If I'm not mistaken Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite & Pokken Tournament DX wrap up this year's major releases for the genre.

It may be too soon to say for those two, particularly Marvel, but how do you feel about how the genre is doing this gen?

I'd love to know thoughts about which games are the best in gameplay and in package, but I'm also curious about how you feel this gen compares with last gen. Last gen was a huge return for the genre. I feel like we haven't seen as many 3D fighting outside Tekken 7, Pokken and ARMS. No Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter!

(Edit: I don't know if you guys consider Arena fighters like the Gundum Vs. games to be their own thing.)

Here's the list so far, in no particular order:

Killer Instinct
Guilty Gear Xrd (Rev 2)
Street Fighter V
Mortal Kombat X
Blazblue Central Fiction
King of Fighters XIV
Super Smash Bros. 4
Pokken Tournament (DX)
ARMS
Injustice 2
Tekken 7
Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite
Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel
Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2
Naruto shit

Does Nidhogg 2 count?

Let me know if I'm missing something.

You know, I honestly think all of these games have their merits. They're all pretty strong in one way or another (although I don't fuck with Xenoverse or Naruto so I can't comment there.) Nothing I would say is straight up bad *as of right now.* Even kusoge like Nitroplus Blasterz is fun as hell for the dumb shit it is.

SFV has been the most disappointing for me. It's come a very long way since release but that first year was rough. MvC:I is off to a much better start as a product, despite what seems to be weak opening sales.

My personal favorite this gen has to be the Guilty Gear Xrd series. It just nails everything. It looks amazing, plays fantastic, the package is big and deep, the netcode is solid. Everything you could want. Revelator 2 is a great deal for $40, it's packed with content and polish. The weekend Flash Sale price of $20 was criminally low.

Tough to pick between KI, KOF14, and Tekken 7 for me honestly. But in terms of sheer hours played and just the fact it even exists at all, I might have to go with KI as my favorite for this gen.

Special mention for Injustice 2 and MKX which were awesome too.

Damn, this gen has been pretty packed with quality fighters come to think of it.

redfox088

Banned
In deep into BB:CentralFiction and GGR2. I have been in love with those two series and DBFighterz seems to be another strong entry into the Arcsys Pantheon. I guess I like anime fighters more than anything. Tekken is good and SFV is serviceable. Here's hope the we have the return of the prince(Soul Calibur)

Under Night in-Birth EXE:Late[st] is my pick. I hope people see the light of Under Night when it launches in English again end of this year.

But also, Tekken 7.

Caim

Under Night in-Birth EXE:Late[st] is my pick. I hope people see the light of Under Night when it launches in English again end of this year.

But also, Tekken 7.

All of this plus REV 2.

Under Night also has a really nice tutorial and mission mode for each character.

I'll definitely be double dipping on the english version.

Killer Instinct is the best. There is a lot of other good games, but most of them are sequals to other good games. Old KI games were ok, but nothing amazing.

This new KI is probably my favourite 2D fighting game ever.

1. Killer Instinct
  2. Guilty Gear Xrd - Rev 2
  3. Blazblue Central Fiction
  4. King of Fighters XIV
  5. Ultimate Mavel vs. Capcom 3
  6. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
  7. Mortal Kombat X
  8. Injustice 2
  9. Tekken 7
  10. Street Fighter V
  11. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

AAK

Best packages?

That is the NRS games (Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2) EASILY. No other developer comes close.

Best Gameplay?

Subjective, but I appreciate 3D fighters the most so Tekken 7 for me.

After that, I had the most fun with Mortal Kombat X. Followed by Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, and then probably followed by Marvel Invinite.

*Assuming you only mean the current gen games.

definezen

Banned
#1 for me is Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
rev2-Baiken5.jpg

(Injustice 2 is pretty fun too)

HotHamBoy

I don't really consider DOA5 LR to be a current gen game since Last Round first released on Last Gen before being ported to current gen later.

Same for USFIV, UMvC3, Skullgirls 2nd Encore.

Seijuro

I think the state of the genre is that it's stagnating, almost all of the listed games were available in a previous iteration last gen.

But most of the current gen releases are excellent and feel like definitive versions of their series.

For my money the best/most complete games of these are the Netherrealm games and Arcsys games.

Injustice 2 is phenomenal in content and execution and has probably the most AAA production values and polish out there.

I also recently got back into Blazblue with Central Fiction after skipping the series for 5 years. That's some value for your money right there. Dozens of modes, very different fighters, a very deep and rewarding system, tons of content.

Tekken 7 is also great, altough online matchmaking/ connection issues never really got fixed.

mas8705

If we had to pinpoint it, I would say that KI definitely showcased how a "Next Gen" fighting game should look and the support that it got over the years. That said, I do have to agree on Guilty Gear XRD since it basically took the idea of "2D fighting with 3D models" and refined it to such a point that you sometimes forget that the 3D characters move and fight like their 2D counterparts.

Something to which we could definitely see be challenged even further when Dragon Ball Fighter Z comes out. With the way that has played and the reception it has gotten, I wouldn't be shocked at all if it is seen as the best new fighting game in this generation.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
King of Fighters XIV is so fucking good. Like it isn't the prettiest game of the bunch by far. But it is just so good. Fantastic effort by SNK.

JavyOO7

I've only played Smash 4 and ARMS in that list. And between those two, I've played ARMS way more. I'm so glad it was made and hope Nintendo keeps putting out more characters/stages/arms and hopefully pushes the lore story that is seen on their jpn twitter to the game.

Neoxon

• Gameplay: MvCI, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Xrd
  • Content: Injustice 2, Smash 4, MKX
  • Overall: Guilty Gear Xrd

SFV, KoFXIV, ARMS, & Smash 4 get honorable mentions for Gameplay. As for SFV, it does have clear problems as of S2.5, hence why I didn't list it in Gameplay despite it being fun (IMO).

hawk2025

Out of the ones I’ve played — as a casual player:

- MvC:I
- KoFXIV
- Tekken 7
- Injustice 2
- SFV
- Killer Instinct
- Pokken

Might be early for MvC ranking, but at most it would drop below Tekken.

Syril

My favorite has been Rivals of Aether for being a Smash-type game that actually has something of its own feel distinctive from Smash Bros. and is the first one I've ever played to not make me ask why I'm not just playing Smash instead.

Hasney

I only enjoy one on one multiplayer, so I don't cade about arcade or story or any of that jazz and I prefer SFV by a country mile.

That said, if the USFIV PS4 version counts, I play more of that.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I made love to MKX. My only regret is not attending a tournament during it's prime.

Seems like every fighter I've touched this gen has been solid even if it wasn't for my taste.

Raptomex

I really enjoyed Smash, Killer Instinct, and MKX. Still need to play Injustice 2.

I don't know if Ultra SF2 counts but I want to try that as well. After I get the arcade stick for Switch.

kunonabi

Guilty Gear Xrd (Rev 2)
Blazblue Central Fiction
King of Fighters XIV
Tekken 7
Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

These would be my picks although it might be too early include Infinite. It's stupid fun to play right now though despite its issues.

Tekken 7 is also kind of borderline.

Guilty Gear Xrd and UNIST are my favorites. If arena games count then I would definitely throw in Gundam VS too. Great gen for fighters again.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Killer Instinct is quite comfortably the best in my opinion.

The best tutorial, lots of modes, plenty of characters who are all completely unique in fighting styles, combat seems to perfectly blend depth with accessibility, NetCode is objectively the best of this generation and probably any fighter ever and is hugely enjoyable to watch as a spectator.

SFV
GGRV
MVCI
T7
Absolver

Killer Instinct is quite comfortably the best in my opinion.

The best tutorial, lots of modes, plenty of characters who are all completely unique in fighting styles, combat seems to perfectly blend depth with accessibility, NetCode is objectively the best of this generation and probably any fighter ever and is hugely enjoyable to watch as a spectator.

So far Marvel has the best netcode of any fighter to date imo. Absolutely flawless.

Top Bottom