• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

NSESN

Toga wants to fuck Deku so bad.

The face she made when Aizawa tried to capture her says everything.
BTW, I am starting to think Toga let Ochako pin her down on purpose back in the camp. She was able to escape Aizawa she would have no problem with Ochako.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
All the dull disappointment I've been feeling of this arc till now has evaporated. Toga is so freaking adorable just look at her <3

6EnzCw8.png

The face she made when Aizawa tried to capture her says everything.
BTW, I am starting to think Toga let Ochako pin her down on purpose back in the camp. She was able to escape Aizawa she would have no problem with Ochako.

I'm telling you guys, there is going to be a TogaXDeku training arc because Toga is a Ninja master and Deku is clearly working his way towards a Dex build.

Veelk

Banned
I think it's notable that despite this being a classic 'opportunity' to sexually objectify Toga's body with bondage, even though she's naked, she's not really drawn in a sexualized way. All the sexualization comes from her personality being very lusty.

Her being nude in these scenes isn't exactly coincidental, but I've seen way worse instances of this in other manga.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The best part about Toga is her relationship to Deku.

Deku still gets flustered around girls. At the beginning of the anime, after becoming swole, he was still flustered, happy, and surprised when Ochako "talked" to him on their first meeting.

He got flustered when Mei fell on top of him and then wanted to touch his body.

Now we have a girl, the only villainess he has actually encountered (I believe?), that is obsessed with him. Only problem is that she just as much wants to stab him in the neck.

I really want to know what the Japanese text said, because if she actually called him "baby" oh boy. She said "I'm so happy" three times lmao.

It's too bad for Kirishima that his part in the arc ended up being the boring part.

Veelk

Banned
Eh, I'm still iffy on Toga. There's a lot of positive unique things to say about her, but at the same time, that she's the only female villain that's introduced while also having the most sexualized personality (and a superpower that has her nude a lot) is kinda shoddy. At best, it's a slightly more effective than usual Vamp archtype which might be arguably okay in isolation, but I just don't don't like that this is the only brand of female villain we got.

NSESN

Kirishima part wasn't boring, it was just too long, it would be perfect if it had one less chapter. It already makes this arc one of my favourites between the unbreakable reveal and his backstory.

About Toga, I didn't like her at first. But the fact that Horikoshi didn't make her the dumb villain she appeared to be at start made me enjoy her a lot more.

FlowersisBritish

Eh, I'm still iffy on Toga. There's a lot of positive unique things to say about her, but at the same time, that she's the only female villain that's introduced while also having the most sexualized personality (and a superpower that has her nude a lot) is kinda shoddy. At best, it's a slightly more effective than usual Vamp archtype which might be arguably okay in isolation, but I just don't don't like that this is the only brand of female villain we got.

In before plot twist that small child character everyone is trying to save is actually a reincarnation of Hitler.

For real though, I get what you mean and I'd probably roll my eye if I didn't love the Yandere character type so much. Yandere and Dandere(? the ones who are extreme apathy) are usually the closest I get to what I like to call soft mental illness where it's not the dramatic LOOK HOW CRAZY I AM (Like Twice and his (maybe?) schizophrenia) and more "today is a depression day. I'm not getting out of bed). Obviously, that kind of personality quirk isn't ever the focus(Which, again is what I like) but of the cast MHA characters, Toga is the only one I can imagine needing to take pills in the morning and then deciding nah (besides twice, but that's a conversation for another day).

Kirishima part wasn't boring, it was just too long, it would be perfect if it had one less chapter. It already makes this arc one of my favourites between the unbreakable reveal and his backstory.

Honestly, that flashback was kind of terrible. The contents might be fine, but it only really served to answer a question we didn't need an answer to and open up more questions we really didn't need to ask at the time. And to delay a punch for two weeks.....

This arc definitely feels like (to borrow a comics term) it was written for the trades. Stuff like the shogi interlude is gonna flow a lot better when it's all collected.

Good chapter tho. Toga + Twice + the walls dude is a fun, high-tension combo.

NSESN

Honestly, that flashback was kind of terrible. The contents might be fine, but it only really served to answer a question we didn't need an answer to and open up more questions we really didn't need to ask at the time. And to delay a punch for two weeks.....
I loved the flashback but I agree that the placement was bad.

This arc definitely feels like (to borrow a comics term) it was written for the trades. Stuff like the shogi interlude is gonna flow a lot better when it's all collected.
I agree 100%. The flashback placement still is bad tho.

FlowersisBritish

I loved the flashback but I agree the placement was bad.

Which is so weird because there was a perfect place for the flashback when Kirishima got knocked back first from Rappa's blows?

Honestly, the eight precepts of whatever have been nothing but a disappointment for me, and I think it says a lot that the most interested I've become for the fights is when the VA alliance shows up. Twice's "TADA!" pose is more fun to me than any of the jobbers we've just met. Which really bums me the fuck out because I adore the plague mask/bird mask aesthetic sooooooo much!

NSESN

Which is so weird because there was a perfect place for the flashback when Kirishima got knocked back first from Rappa's blows?

Honestly, the eight precepts of whatever have been nothing but a disappointment for me, and I think it says a lot that the most interested I've become for the fights is when the VA alliance shows up. Twice's "TADA!" pose is more fun to me than any of the jobbers we've just met. Which really bums me the fuck out because I adore the plague mask/bird mask aesthetic sooooooo much!

I liked Rappa (hope he joins the VA) and Mimic in this arc, and I liked the fights, but yeah they are just there so we can have fights and nothing else. After this chapter, I don't believe we will se Overhaul fighting in this arc anymore.

Metal B

The arc is not very good in my opinion. There are multiple problems with it:

1. It moves too slow. It feels like we spend years in the this basement.

2. Because of all events playing inside the basement, the backgrounds are very boring. I bet, the flashback happend, because Kouhei also noted the lack of variation. Good thing, we still didn't reach Bleach's level yet.

3. I completely lost any kind of sense of progression and orientation. I can understand, that this also the theme of this arc (the heros are as lost as we are), but it makes for a very unsatisfying experience over such a long period of time. We don't know, if the heros are getting closer to the end, have won the upper hand or are actually in the disadvantage. I'm just on the "What ever" stage at this point.
This is a reason, why i love One Piece more. Oda setups the stages (like the number of villains) and gives us detailed maps through a story, so that we have better perspective of the situation. The Dressrosa arc took much much longer to feel as burned out as this basement arc.

4. Too many characters. The focus jumps in all direction and there is nobody, who actually leads the story, gives us a center point or a narrative to follow. It's just characters trying to get from A to B and other character trying to stop them.

I hope, we're finished soon .

NSESN

2. Because of all events playing inside the basement, the backgrounds are very boring. I bet, the flashback happend, because Kouhei also noted the lack of variation. Good thing, we still didn't reach Bleach's level yet.

3. I completely lost any kind of sense of progression and orientation. I can understand, that this also the theme of this arc (the heros are as lost as we are), but it makes for a very unsatisfying experience over such a long period of time. We don't know, if the heros are getting closer to the end, have won the upper hand or are actually in the disadvantage. I'm just on the "What ever" stage at this point.
This is a reason, why i love One Piece more. Oda setups the stages (like the number of villains) and gives us detailed maps through a story, so that we have better perspective of the situation. The Dressrosa arc took much much longer to feel as burned out as this basement arc.

4. Too many characters. The focus jumps in all direction and there is nobody, who actually leads the story, gives us a center point or a narrative to follow. It's just characters trying to get from A to B and other character trying to stop them.

I think you are overreacting. In the last 10 chapters we had 2 fights, 1 flashback and started another 2 fights this week, that was also the time that he was sick so we had less pages per chapter overall.
Comparing this arc to Dressrosa feels so wrong.
The bird cage was Namek's explosion levels of slow

Like I've said, this arc is gonna read a lot better in trade. Each plot thread is advancing fairly quickly, but there's a LOT of them, and they're splintering off in interesting ways.

LotusHD

Banned
All the dull disappointment I've been feeling of this arc till now has evaporated. Toga is so freaking adorable just look at her <3

I gotta agree, arc just got a lot more livelier, she giving me Harley Quinn vibes (somewhat) with that athleticism and general craziness. But yea, not really feeling the Eight Precepts villains so far, and I also gotta agree on that flashback coming at an awkward time.

Veelk

Banned
I think it's more that Horikoshi is finally feeling the challenge of expanding his world while maintaining his pace.

The Eight Precepts aren't bad. In fact, the underlings themselves are fun characters as we're going through them. But that means we gotta spend time on them, so we slow down from what is meant to be a fast paced, frantic assault and haven't progressed much in terms of learning what the mastermind (Overhaul) is doing.

I don't see it as bad, but panel space is a zero sum game, so if you want to fully explorative segments like Kirishima living up to his ideals, you're gonna need to sacrifice some panels for it and other stuff is put on hold. The most I would say is Horikoshi could probably be more efficient with it if he switched up what was happening as it went along instead of two entire chapters of Kirishima and Fat Gum's fight. But then you'd hurt the explorative nature of their fight because they'd be done in segments instead of given their own cohesive slice of the arc. That's a sacrifice that might be worth it, but it's not an altogether bad choice to not do so. All this to say is that I agree this arc isn't perfect because the scale is starting to outgrow what the pacing can manage, but the content is still good.

I think this is fair criticism.

Feels like an arc that will work better in a single read, but I also do agree it's a weaker arc and probably my second least favorite (School Festival Arc is my least). Still at worst decent at best good, which is something I'll take.

NSESN

I think this arc had an extremely good start but it is having some problems since Horikoshi got sick, the story itself has no problems imo, it is just the art and pacing that seems off.

I think this arc had an extremely good start but it is having some problems since Horikoshi got sick, the story itself has no problems imo, it is just the art and pacing that seems off.
Yeah, my adrenaline was rushing when they first started entering the place but it has slowed down quite a bit. The pacing is just off.

The question is I have for this arc is: Will they save the girl?
I've had a feeling that she's not gonna make it ever since Mirio let her go while Deku wanted to go all in. It's gonna be a FMA scar moment for deku probably, couldn't even save a little girl.

Hundreds of authors out there, yet one choose to compare to Oda, why, Horikoshi isnt and cant be Oda. HeroAca isnt and cant be One Piece. I dont think or at least hope people dont want One Piece clones.

LotusHD

Banned
What he mentioned really isn't something I'd describe as being an Oda thing. He's just reminded of a recent shounen arc where for him it was a lot easier to keep up with what's happening location-wise, as well as have a general feel as to what enemies are out there for the protagonists to defeat.

Metal B

Hundreds of authors out there, yet one choose to compare to Oda, why, Horikoshi isnt and cant be Oda. HeroAca isnt and cant be One Piece. I dont think or at least hope people dont want One Piece clones.
I'm not saying, that the manga should copy One Piece. There are just tools out there, which help to create a story with a fast pace, many charakters and in a tight space, while still making it focused and fun to follow.

Another similar example would be the new Judge Dredd Movie. It plays only in one apartment complex, where almost anything looks the same and is overwhelming grey. But the film producers used tools smartly to give the audience a better chance in following the story.
First the heros start at the first floor and the bad guys controll the top floor. Just with this information, we know the goal of the story: get to the top. The apartment complex is designed with a big open space in the middle. This is a great orientation point and the audience can through the movie get informed, how far the heros are away from reaching there goal. Second the bad guys constantly inform us, on which floor the heros are at the moment "They reached the 30 floor!". Third all major players are introduces before the party starts, so we know about the challenges on both sides. New enemies join the action at the end of the movie, but they are greatly introduced, fit the theme of the story and the audience know more about them in comperation to the heros, which makes for a exciting encounter (classic bomb under the table scenario).

I think, the bad guys in the basement arc should simply have a map, where they coordinate there plan and update informations (instead of the cliche boardgame). This would inform the audience about the progress both sides are making and build up exciting encounters, since we know about there opponents but not the heros.
Also it is a basement, there should be different rooms, which could create exciting encounters and backgrounds. A boiler room, storages, maybe a barrack, a labor, etc. Not just hallways (as a Pen n' Paper Dungeon Master this is one weak dungeon).

One Piece has become so formulaic that yeah, we don't need a clone there. (just re-read water7 and ennies lobby and the writing has gone so downhill in the current arcs).

I don't know, i feel it hasn't been that long actually. The invasion arc also had these kind of focus-shifts along it and no lead either so yeah, feels to early to start criticising it IMO.

And Toga now has Eraserhead's blood. That's definitely fucked up, she could use that in the future.

Top Bottom