• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

Eccocid

Ok, screen tearing is extremely high on me. On every map especially at Crossroads. Whenever i turn camera its like 4 or 5 frames on one frame. I asked about it to other ppl and they say that they dont have it that much. Is it because i play on SDTV? Having a SDTV can increase screen tearing?

KGKK said:
So just bought the game, downloading the patch and charging the headset as we speak, cant wait! So to pair for HQ mode all I have to do connect it via usb on the headset dock right?

No, connect straight to the headset, without the dock to pair. There is a stealth port right above the on/off switch.

spwolf

there is nothing hardcore about SOCOM... It is just more realistic, and rewards you if you play it in the same way you would do it if it was real... Anyone who likes FPS can like SOCOM.

In fact, I think SOCOM rewards newbies as well since maps are so well designed, there is no perfect place to be, everything can be approached from several directions, and quite often, when they notice you, players go around your back, instead of going directly towards you.

When someone mentions "hardcore", it sounds as if game is only for the experts and is inaccessible. Which is not true. SOCOM is easier to learn to play than Warhawk, because it plays like common sense.

Eccocid said:
Ok, screen tearing is extremely high on me. On every map especially at Crossroads. Whenever i turn camera its like 4 or 5 frames on one frame. I asked about it to other ppl and they say that they dont have it that much. Is it because i play on SDTV? Having a SDTV can increase screen tearing?

I know its not that bad for me on 720p. The conversion from 720p to 480i might not be very good.

spwolf

Eccocid said:

i only noticed screan tear when i was in 32 user server, and it was basically lag. Without lag, there is no single framerate issue that I noticed.

Did you try going into lesser populated servers, or some different channels/servers to make sure it is not caused by connection? I am playing on 720p tho...

Maggot9 said:
Can someone explain the logic in having to install the game to your drive when you buy the disc please.

Because not everyone that owns the game bought the disk copy. Having those that bought the BD movie install the full game essentially puts you on the same page as those that purchased the game from PSN meaning there won't be a discrepancy in load times between the owners of the different SKUs. Warhawk was the same way.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
........ still waiting for this to come to Aus, its got some mystery release date for some reason, but meh, i was in the Beta and its a truly awesome experience, i dont know how people can complain about the graphics, i though they where pretty freakin good and the lighting was real nice as well. Seems theres still issues that the Beta didnt iron out, hopefully thats all good before it comes out in Aus.

Eccocid

btw i choose EU channel from options but when i go to channel selection it still gives me whole channels including US and ASIA. Problem is i dont know which ones are exactly EU servers. I know that French, german ones are from EU and there is also one just one common EU room, but what about those English speaking servers? are they eu or us?

Since i am not french nor german or spanish etc i have to play on EU room which doesn't have many ppl in it. Haven' tried any of the US ones due to lag.

Cartman86

Banned
spwolf said:
there is nothing hardcore about SOCOM... It is just more realistic, and rewards you if you play it in the same way you would do it if it was real... Anyone who likes FPS can like SOCOM.

In fact, I think SOCOM rewards newbies as well since maps are so well designed, there is no perfect place to be, everything can be approached from several directions, and quite often, when they notice you, players go around your back, instead of going directly towards you.

When someone mentions "hardcore", it sounds as if game is only for the experts and is inaccessible. Which is not true. SOCOM is easier to learn to play than Warhawk, because it plays like common sense.

Warhawk is fun, but for me the autolock on and terrible on foot controls ruin any sense of learnable skill. The only skill I find is when in the Warhawk.

Eccocid

LOL i was used to play MGO before SOCOM, now at the beginning of every match i press Triangle to activate SOP but it doesn't work of course :p

RotBot

Why the fuck do I have to select my custom control config in game every time I start up? Am I doing something wrong?

ecnal

i'm still getting kicked back to the XMB after matches randomly. :/

this is becoming extremely annoying.

dralla

RotBot said:
Why the fuck do I have to select my custom control config in game every time I start up? Am I doing something wrong?

nope, just one of the bugs from the beta that wasn't fixed.

Doel

RotBot said:
Do it in the Options screen on the main menu.

J-Rzez

spwolf said:

While it does play like real life common sense there's a problem with this. People lack common sense a lot of the time. You see it all the time even in this game for example, dude goes running with the 3 VIPs by himself, in the wide open, in between 3 opposing team members. The other problem is, many people think that every shooter is to be played like CoD4 and Halo anymore, and they go running around bunny hopping with the trigger glued down.

This is one of those games that requires common sense indeed though, which includes understanding teamwork and strategy. And which ever team has more common sense and uses teamwork with strategy, will win nearly all of the time.

They really need to beef up the servers. Especially the 32player ones which can be nearly unplayable at times, and tend to lock up and boot everyone out after a round or two for some reason. There needs to be more ranked games in general, especially 8v8 ranked medleys.

EazyB

Banned
I was gifted this game today. I've never played a SOCOM game and a lot of your guys' impressiongs, especially the tech issues, never had me that excited for it. Nevertheless, it's installing right now and I'm pretty pumped to see what the series is all about. I also haven't played on PSN yet so we'll see how this goes.

Hellraizah

Game seems OK but fuck..... WHY NO SOUTHPAW? I'm so horrible with normal "right handed people" controls (even though I'm right handed).

btkadams

how do the clan invites work? i havent got one, are they not working today? i saw on the message thing when you login that some clan functions wouldnt be up, maybe thats why i havent got an invite yet... ;)

Nos_G

btk, check your ingame (not xmb) message box, I definitely sent you one.

As for the others, I'll get your invites for the clan out as soon as I can.

btkadams

Nos_G said:
btk, check your ingame (not xmb) message box, I definitely sent you one.

As for the others, I'll get your invites for the clan out as soon as I can.
i did earlier today and ther was none but maybe thats because of that message from the devs saying that not all clan functions and such would be operational today until they fix it. but i will check again in a few minutes.

EazyB

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
good lord this patch is downloading slow
No joke. So far I've installed the game, downloaded the PS3 2.5 patch, installed it, and am now downloading the SOCOM 1.1 patch.

I'll probably have to install that thing too :p

Hey, I just got the game today and I'm looking to play with some Gaffers later tonight. I'll be on after the Sox game in about an hour.

I'm up for the clan too if you have room.

PSN: TheSecretBaldwin

Phntmbanana

Neo Member
I'm still not too sure about the game there have been times when I really enjoy the game, and it reminds me of the old times in previous Socoms and others when I think its an unplayable mess...

JB1981 said:
Probably has more to do with the fact that this game was beta-tested like crazy, was patched about 5 times during the beta to 'fix' the issues, yet those issues still exist on release day and have not been resolved. This is an ONLINE-ONLY game and the online is broken.

Perhaps it should have been delayed.
Unfortunately, SCEA was planning on publishing this game last year, but since Slant Six Games couldn't do both Confrontation and Tactical Strike at the same time, they had to hold back Confrontation. SCEA didn't want to hold the game back any longer since it already received countless delays. People would be complaining just as much (if not more) if the game was delayed until next year to get everything solved. Since the game is online only (not a game with some offline like LBP), patches can fix issues so SCEA can publish it as is for now. I can tell the game came out earlier than it should due to no trophies and other things missing. But after a while, it will run great just like Warhawk (Warhawk was a mess at launch).

Kabuki Waq said:
its also a nice way for fanboys to excuse obviously lazy devs or rushed products.
I wouldn't call Slant Six lazy. I'd more so say SCEA wanted the game out this year and not wait any longer to release it.

Anyway, I'm about to get this but cannot decide which I'll get. I'm leaning towards download, but part of me thinks I should go disc just in case I highly dislike it (but should be fine).

tenchir

Slant 6 better fix the clan system, I could never find you guys in the game. Also how do you get teh IW-80? I can't find it anywhere.

Doel

tenchir said:
Slant 6 better fix the clan system, I could never find you guys in the game. Also how do you get teh IW-80? I can't find it anywhere.
You need to be in a clan that uses the British SAS.

tenchir

Doel said:
You need to be in a clan that uses the British SAS.

Damn it. So we should schedule a game for next weekend so we can have a get together. We should do this until they implement a way for us to find each other and join each other's game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
man.... this lobby system was stupid 6 years ago and its still here. why the fuck can i not invite my friends? the "add friend" shit never works :mad:

tenchir said:
Damn it. So we should schedule a game for next weekend so we can have a get together. We should do this until they implement a way for us to find each other and join each other's game.

i was only in the game for about 30 mins but i swear i saw you join the game.

slider

M_A_C said:
I've never played Socom online before, and I'm doing pretty well. I've got a 2-1 k/d ratio. I also played some CoD4 last night also, and I was getting owned, so I wouldn't worry about it being to hardcore.

I really like the large levels and pace when compared to CoD4. Everyone isn't just running around like idiots, you can take your time, find a good spot, etc.

Thanks fella, that's finally sealed it for me. I think I'll pick it up this week.

can someone here answer a couple of my questions. how good is the connection needed while playing online? I'm asking since I'm from Indonesia, and the internet in my country is generally not very good to play online games.

CoD 4 are playable with a very noticeable lag, MGO is almost unplayable sadly because that was my fave online games when I still studying in US. LBP beta (co-op mode), Tekken DR, and Soul Calibur is pretty much broken since I always got failed connection or get kicked out of online lobby.

the only games I probably can play is Warhawk. I haven't tried it, but my friend says he got really good game and he live in the same area as I am so I assume I can at least play that.

I was very interested with SOCOM mainly because from videos I've seen, it really reminds me a lot to MGO. without the metal gear quirk of course, but I like the probably slower pacing compare to CoD4 which I'm already bored to death playing.

also, is there any offline game at all? like, can I play 4 player 2v2 split screen or perhaps match against bots? that would at least make a fun substitute if it turned out that online in unplayable for me.

Xater

Callibretto said:
can someone here answer a couple of my questions. how good is the connection needed while playing online? I'm asking since I'm from Indonesia, and the internet in my country is generally not very good to play online games.

CoD 4 are playable with a very noticeable lag, MGO is almost unplayable sadly because that was my fave online games when I still studying in US. LBP beta (co-op mode), Tekken DR, and Soul Calibur is pretty much broken since I always got failed connection or get kicked out of online lobby.

the only games I probably can play is Warhawk. I haven't tried it, but my friend says he got really good game and he live in the same area as I am so I assume I can at least play that.

I was very interested with SOCOM mainly because from videos I've seen, it really reminds me a lot to MGO. without the metal gear quirk of course, but I like the probably slower pacing compare to CoD4 which I'm already bored to death playing.

also, is there any offline game at all? like, can I play 4 player 2v2 split screen or perhaps match against bots? that would at least make a fun substitute if it turned out that online in unplayable for me.

I don't know if that is any indication but I played a pretty good game before with Americans (I am located in Germany) while donwloading something with my Mac.

There is no offline component at all.

spwolf

Callibretto said:

no offline...

.... however servers are worldwide, so just like Warhawk, once the game launches in Asia, you should be able to play it without issues...

Baker

Banned
Due to my patience level, I was not able to play Socom this weekend.

1. Installed data
2. Started game - Update
3. Started game - Save data corrupt
4. Delete save data
5. Notice my hdd is really slow after installing Socom
6. Delete install data
7. Repeat Steps 1 - 4
8. Start game - Get into lobby - Game load
9. PS3 locks up

Yeah, I just can't take shit like that. Does the save file just automatically corrupt whenever you do the 1.10 update? So what happens when the 1.20 update comes out? All our work will be gone?

PuMa

revolverjgw said:
How big are the maps in this game?

Some maps have two sizes depending upon the round configuration.

Edit: Give it another go Baker! The game is awesome. It sounds like you may have had some rough luck with your install. I didn't have those issues.

Top Bottom