• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Unison

I'd love to buy all of these, but do these ports go on sale often on PSN?

I wonder how long it will take to get a drop...

side note:
Always make sure to check the ingame settings/options after downloading a game.

I don't know why but some stuff like censoring and filters are switched "ON" on default.
Sometimes you miss out a lot when censoring is effective.
i.e.:Uncensored Shock Troopers feels like a different (and much better) game.

So awesome to see that these got patched and very much look forward to picking them up... when i EVENTUALLY am able to get a switch that is

REALLY hope the system could truly become the new homestation of retro games :)

Neff

Wow these look so much better now, especially on the Switch screen. I'm going to buy more.

...and then you remember that Switch has no d-pad.

Nobody believes me until they've tried it, but I'm amazingly impressed by how the Switch's native (not Pro) sticks hold up to fighting game moves. Probably the best non-stick controls I've used for fighters outside of SNK's microswitched pads. They're just the right size to meet that sweet spot between d-pad comfort and stick accuracy.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but... Do these Neo Geo games have an option for scanlines?

They do, but only with a soft screen filter enabled, which isn't great. I just go with no filter since it seems to be the best across TV and handheld.

Loona

I asked this earlier in the thread though: how worthwhile are these games if you will never play them with another person?

I asked this earlier in the thread, and somebody recommended Waku Waku and Shock Troopers, but there was no explanation as to why.

Are the campaigns still satisfying to play alone? Is there even a campaign in Waku Waku? Any replayability? How about length?

Convince me to buy the best single-player experience from this NeoGeo selection!

I don't have much experience with Shock Troopers, but Metal Slug 3 is worth it for its final level alone - it's bigger than the everything that precedes it and is a complete narrative arc in itself. Quite a ride.

Waku Waku 7 pretty much indulges in having fun mashing anime archetypes together, and that sense of fun is reflected in the animations and endings throughout - while KoF98 built its reputation in the competitive scene (as opposed to its more story-heavy predecessors), WW7's appeal has mostly been in its general charm and sense of fun, which doesn't really require other players to be enjoyed.

boxoctosis

Anyone want to update us on what Metal Slug is like post patch please?. Tempted to buy it yet again, but wonder what the frame rate is like in particular.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The King of Fighters '94 is tomorrow's ACA release: it just appeared on the European eShop in the "Coming soon" cathegory.

I think someone earlier in the thread said that it was to save memory space. Although I have no idea why Hamster are concerned with saving memory.

I know the Switch has a dubiously small amount of internal memory but worrying about compressing a 40 MB ROM in the year 2017 is ridiculous.

I found that for pixel accuracy 133 should be near 4x while 100 is actually 3x resolution of the NeoGeo resolution when in 1080p, in 720p (which applies to portable) 150 is your best bet

Thanks a lot! It really helped getting these scanlines looking as they should. Out of pure curiosity could you explained the maths involved because I don't seem to understand what these ratios stand for.

Edit: nevermind, figured this out.

jjasso21

Hmm, looks like I pick up a few of these then. Glad to see they were fixed in such a short amount of time. Thanks everyone!

Props to Hamster. Not even 2 weeks since launch and they already got 6 games patched, with noticeable improvements. Good stuff.

Tain

Tried the patch last night, and yeah, audio still has a delay but the visuals are much better.

As far as display options go, I think that A2 is the sweet spot for me. Sharp pixels tend to look like nonsense to me at these resolutions and screen sizes (well, on my TV via dock, maybe it'd be nice handheld), and while the filtering method isn't at all ideal, I think the image is more cohesive with these scanlines than without.

My most wanted wish list:

Real Bout 2
Last Blade 2
Neo Turf Masters
Blazing Star
Crossed Swords
Windjammers
Garou
Baseball Stars 2

hurry up Hamster, I want to give you money.

Tain

Now that these are finally patched, I may jump in!

I asked this earlier in the thread though: how worthwhile are these games if you will never play them with another person?

I asked this earlier in the thread, and somebody recommended Waku Waku and Shock Troopers, but there was no explanation as to why.

Are the campaigns still satisfying to play alone? Is there even a campaign in Waku Waku? Any replayability? How about length?

Convince me to buy the best single-player experience from this NeoGeo selection!

They're arcade games, so you can expect a 30 minute to one hour runtime if yuo're proficient enough to beat them or if you credit-feed them. But have you ever tried clearing an arcade game without using continues? It feels like an insurmountable task at first, but you'll make tangible (and probably surprising) progress through repeated attempts. There's a lot of fun to be had playing Shock Troopers and Metal Slug 3 this way, and they will last you a loooooong while. I would suggest those over the fighting games.

7roject28

...and then you remember that Switch has no d-pad.

It's small enough that you can roll your thumb around it like a d-pad. I tried it playing it like that on Blaster Master and Shovel Knight and it works pretty well. Haven't tried a fighting game though.

Glass Joe

Wow these look a lot better post-patch (Shock Troopers and Metal Slug 3). I'd never played these games before, so thank you to whoever gave the heads up that there was a violence option (default set to off) for each!

I have Metal Slug 3, Shock Troopers, and NAM-1975. Audio delay seemed similar in all of them, but it's hard to say definitively without measuring.

I'm debating doing some recording and direct side by side comparison. But knowing my luck I'd put in the effort and a patch would drop immediately after. If there is no word from Hamster in the next few days maybe I will.

Their tweet for the patch is a bit garbled so unclear if this is it. Glad they are making an effort to communicate in English even if we get some funny stuff like this.

We have updated the whole 6 titles relaesed on ACA NEOGEO series for Nintendo Switch.We are sometimes subject to update for better quality.

And for comparison here is the Japanese tweet with machine transition which makes it sound more like they are still working on it.

Nintendo Switch「アケアカNEOGEO」シリーズのアップデートパッチの配布を開始しました。対象は配信中の全6タイトルです。ご迷惑をお掛けして申し訳ございませんでした。今後も品質向上を目指してアップデートを実施させていただくことがございますがよろしくお願いいたします。

Distribution of update patch of Nintendo Switch "Akeaka NEOGEO" series has started. The target is all 6 titles being delivered. I am sorry for the inconvenience. We will continue to update with the aim of improving quality in the future, but thank you for your continued patronage.

Are Mark of the Wolves and Windjammers not going to happen since their exclusive (I think) on PS4/Vita?

Well, MOTW port was handled by Code Mystics and Windjammers is DotEmu. They're both updated ports with extra features (online play, etc) included. The Arcade Archives stuff is handled by Hamster and they're basically just pure emulation with a couple toggles and dipswitches that can be activated. I imagine SNK and whoever owns Windjammers rights probably aren't going to let Hamster have a crack at those, and I feel like Sony had a part in helping fund those ports specifically as well.

Just purchased Waku Waku 7. Highly underrated game that a lot of people never knew existed. Fun to pick up and play but it makes me want to track down my original cart of the game.

Top Bottom