• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

rec0ded1

Just started watching McConnell. Did anyone call him out on the hypocrisy about the obstruction tactic? A tactic they pulled for 8 years?

Gruco

Banned
Um

@AP:
BREAKING: Trump administration considers mobilizing as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants.
True or not, this would be a mistake on the part of the White House.

Muslim ban got much faster and more dramatic mobilization of opposition precisely because it provided a flashpoint of resistance. The immigration roundups have been less public in part because they've been more politically subtle. It's would be a straight up loss for them give the resistance this type of opportunity.

Wilsongt

Illegal immigrants have become the new boogieman. Everyone contorting themselves to support the president's hard on of ruining families and lives.

"B-b-but THEY'RE ILLEGAAAAAL!!" What anout thr green card holders, fuckers?

JP_

Banned
That's interesting because those people are already extreme radicals. Maybe they truly believe their own lies and assume that most of the country are in their column.

Not just loyal in that they believe his lies. Loyal in that they'll resort to violence to protect him. This has been a common theme in his campaign. Bannon/Trump knows their white nationalist base is shrinking -- only way to keep power and continue this crusade is by taking power and keeping it with intimidation and force. The stakes are high for them, their window of opportunity is shrinking, which is why they're willing to take these incredible risks with brazen EOs etc.

Apathy

Illegal immigrants have become the new boogieman. Everyone contorting themselves to support the president's hard on of ruining families and lives.

"B-b-but THEY'RE ILLEGAAAAAL!!" What anout thr green card holders, fuckers?

It annoys me more because illegals is code word for"Mexicans" which is what racists think everyone that speaks Spanish is. They never think illegals are white.

studyguy

It annoys me more because illegals is code word for"Mexicans" which is what racists think everyone that speaks Spanish is. They never think illegals are white.

We're generally always the target for the label of 'illegal' but there's a reason why Paul Ryan booted both the Hispanic Caucus and Asian Caucus. Mexicans aren't the only minority to be hit by ICE raids despite the dogwhistles and I can't imagine the communities take kindly to being ignored.

One month:

C44Qgh3VUAE-zmK.jpg

Did Kim Jong-un watch Memento and Zoolander a billion times before executing this assassination plot? What in the fuck in the world.

An Indonesian woman arrested for suspected involvement in the killing of the North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un’s half-brother in Malaysia was duped into thinking she was part of a comedy show prank, Indonesia’s national police chief has said, citing information received from Malaysian authorities.

Tito Karnavian told reporters in Indonesia’s Aceh province that Siti Aisyah, 25, was paid to be involved in pranks.

He said she and another woman performed stunts which involved convincing men to close their eyes and then spraying them with water.

“Such an action was done three or four times and they were given a few dollars for it, and with the last target, Kim Jong-nam, allegedly there were dangerous materials in the sprayer,” Karnavian said. “She was not aware that it was an assassination attempt by alleged foreign agents.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ank-indonesia-siti-aisyah-police-kim-jong-nam

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah I'm not buying that National Guard story. It's a trap.

Yeah I'm not buying that National Guard story. It's a trap.

Why would Kelly write up an 11 page memo the day of the Muslim Ban EO only to leak it a month later to attack the media? What in the world does John Kelly get out of this other than people thinking he's a psychopath who wants to use troops to do a modern Indian Removal Act?

sangreal

We just wrote an extreme 11 page order for shits and giggles we were never really going to do it is hardly an acceptable excuse

A lot of work goes into crafting executive orders, even shitty Trump ones. A draft might have some details changed but you don't waste resources on a concept you're not interested in

We just wrote an extreme 11 page order for shits and giggles we were never really going to do it is hardly an acceptable excuse

A lot of work goes into crafting executive orders, even shitty Trump ones. A draft might have some details changed but you don't waste resources on a concept you're not interested in
I guess it'd be funny shits and giggles if it was an irrelevant regulation EO but this is literally people's lives and families being played with. This executive order emboldens white radicals into maybe exposing undocumented people on their own. I hate all these journalists constantly tweeting "ITS A DRAFT ORDER AND ITLL NEVER HAPPEN" like it isn't completely horrifying that it was written in the first place.

Maybe all this fake bait and switch stuff from the administration wouldn't be bad if it was shit like taxes or the economy but people are acting like it's completely normal to play with immigrants like they're pawns. Like this administration is doing

It was probably, much like the anti-gay EO, planned for release in that crazy first week, but the Muslim ban shut the entire operation down and now they're gun shy to try anything.

These are basically "what if there weren't mass protests against the Muslim ban" type scenarios. So protesters should be pleased they scared the administration enough to shelf this stuff.

Gallup:

38/56
Yesss

I think that the Republican breaking point has to be around 33-35. That's when they start seeing the real diehards get skittish, the guys who really run the primaries and make up the margin in their gerrymandered districts.

Now lets see if it ever gets there, lol.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why would Kelly write up an 11 page memo the day of the Muslim Ban EO only to leak it a month later to attack the media? What in the world does John Kelly get out of this other than people thinking he's a psychopath who wants to use troops to do a modern Indian Removal Act?

This administration isn't Yu-Gi-Oh!, they're a bunch of racist pricks who are throwing racist spaghetti against a racist wall to see how much of it sticks.

My theory is they were testing the waters without having to actually enact it first.

Kelly probably wrote it up, and then the ban got shut down by the courts so the plan was off the table. With all the talk about catching the leaks, they still had it on file, and this seems like a prime way to go about it.

If not, davepoobond is right, they were just testing response. I'm still going with trap to catch leaks.

What the hell does testing responses even mean? Conservatives aren't enraged this morning. It's liberals. And liberals have been enraged at everything he's been doing ever since he got elected. I'm not sure whose "responses~" are being tested because the only time his base got mad (Devos) nothing ended up happening.

ascii42

It took Bush how long to get there? It's like Trump is trying to speed run the worst presidency ever.

A lot longer. Bush was over 50% even before 9/11, and it took a long time after that to dip below even that. If I'm looking at the chart right, Bush hit 37% November 12, 2005.

George W Bush hit 25. Thats probably the absolute floor unless Trump trump drops the N bomb on national tv or something.

20% of Americans are white supremacists so saying the n-word during the SOTU would not drop Trump below 25%.

It would take some truly disastrous bungling to drop below 25%. It would have to reach a level of incompetence where the white supremacists think Trump's racism isn't worth it anymore because they can't handle his stupidity. Like, here's a scenario that would have to happen:

Trump gets the info of precise troop locations in Afghanistan and Russia hacks his unsecured phone to get this information and then Russia tells the Taliban to target these troops and then the Taliban brag about hacking Trump's phone and how that allowed them to kill hundreds of American soldiers.

We would need something on that level of total, completely Trump caused fuckery that killed tons of Americans.

20% of Americans are white supremacists so saying the n-word during the SOTU would not drop Trump below 25%.

It would take some truly disastrous bungling to drop below 25% to the point where the white supremacists think this isn't worth it anymore. Like, Trump gets the info of precise troop locations in Afghanistan and Russia hacks his unsecured phone to get this information and then Russia tells the Taliban to target these troops and then the Taliban brag about hacking Trump's phone and how that allowed them to kill hundreds of American soldiers.
Or you know the economy absolutely tanks and gas goes up to like $7. but that's not too likely.

Gruco

Banned
Wow

How low can it go? I bet his floor is like ~25, maybe 30. His ceiling is only like ~45-46 at best though. The last two years of polling show that pretty well.
Bush bottomed out around 28. This was after leaving Iraq in disaster, Katrina, like six special prosecutor investigations, trying to privatize social security, and a once in a lifetime financial crash.

I mean, if anyone can make a run for that it is Trump. I'll be damn impressed if he somehow breaks it.

Holmes

Wow

How low can it go? I bet his floor is like ~25, maybe 30. His ceiling is only like ~45-46 at best though. The last two years of polling show that pretty well.
We're approaching his floor now, but it should stabilize here for a while, which is bad. What's left in order to lower it even more is Republicans and right-leaning indies that will support him unless the economy goes bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom