• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface like alternative?

Looking for a laptop for someone. She needs something very portable for playing YouTube videos and surfing the net, with decent battery life. But it should also be able to work without using the keyboard. I was thinking a detachable keyboard or laptop with a touch screen.

I was thinking about am older surface but the reviews on Amazon for a cheaper one like the rt are pretty bad.

My budget is about $250 and I'm fine with refurbished or used in great condition. The person doesn't play games or anything other than look at photos, play YouTube, and surf.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Usage pattern suggests any cheap-tablet would work fine?

But in the Windows-space with some laptop productivity in mind - I found Yoga book a really nice buy (battery life is better than surface models up to 2016, it's very light/compact and has a clever hybrid form implementation), although I don't know if you can find the Windows one in your price bracket yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBH5QE8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

norinrad

A Lenovo will cost you less and will last longer. And if you really want to feel like you have hit rock bottom while at Starbucks, get a Dell.

Usage pattern suggests any cheap-tablet would work fine?

But in the Windows-space with some laptop productivity in mind - I found Yoga book a really nice buy (battery life is better than surface models up to 2016, it's very light/compact and has a clever hybrid form implementation), although I don't know if you can find the Windows one in your price bracket yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBH5QE8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is there an Android web browser that supports flash? There are a few sites she visits that require flash to work properly.

openrob

I honestly went through this exact same process not so long ago and I went with the Dell venue Pro 11 which I regret in hindsight.

It's not that the tablet is necessarily bad, but more that it was never really practical to carry around often due to it being quite large and never really practical to use in the house due to being too small if that makes any sense!

I would ask your friend if they actually need it for work. In my opinion I would have been much happier getting a smaller tablet.

I don't think the surface like tablets are bad but if you need a laptop just get a laptop and if you need a tablet just get a tablet but getting one that does both is a bit like a sofa bed - It's a sofa and it's a bed, but it does neither very well

Zenner

I was thinking about am older surface but the reviews on Amazon for a cheaper one like the rt are pretty bad.

Do not get the RT - it did not get the move to Win10, and is not supported anymore. Several basic apps, such as Skype, no longer work on it. Also, it can only run apps from the official app-store; it can't run regular Windows software. (which would normally be fine for your friend's needs, YouTube, Photos, web browse, tho)

You can get a used / refurb Surface 3 for about 250 to 300 on Ebay; the high end of your budget. Edit: A quick look just now, seems like even less. Might get one myself.

norinrad

Not promoting Lenovo, but they have excellent Laptops, like the T models and their tablets are top notch too. My advice would be to get a separate laptop and tablet. You can carry both around easily and both will do what they were meant to do.

All in one is a terrible idea and has always been.

Top Bottom