• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER is pretty much a perfect game

Ninja Dom

I'm trying so hard to get 200,000 points on Level 1-1, but if you miss one thump spot in the later levels then your score gets fucked. Currently sitting at 195,000.

zigg

I'm a bit behind a bunch of you, but I think I've finally got infinite flight down.

Makes replaying old worlds a completely different experience.

Neiteio

I'm a bit behind a bunch of you, but I think I've finally got infinite flight down.

Makes replaying old worlds a completely different experience.
I'm on 8-19 but I don't know how to do infinite flight. I want to learn, though, since I keep seeing rings immediately after banked turns. :-O

Wamb0wneD

I'm on 8-19 but I don't know how to do infinite flight. I want to learn, though, since I keep seeing rings immediately after banked turns. :-O

Im at 7 now. I mean you just have to take a perect turn while flying and that's it lol. Sometimes i screw up because you have to hold up and the direction of the turn kinda at the same time and i dont hit that upper left/right corner sweet spot all the time.

I'm sure this has been said to death but wow I'm really bummed at how quiet the audio is in portable mode with headphones. Any background noise at all makes this a real pain to try to play.

Neiteio

I'm sure this has been said to death but wow I'm really bummed at how quiet the audio is in portable mode with headphones. Any background noise at all makes this a real pain to try to play.
You can dial it up in-game. From the title screen or pause menu, go into Options -> Audio and max it out. You can increase it 100% over the default.

Salaadin

Thumper is the first game of its nature to make me feel something I hadnt felt before. Its almost like my brain and my body are separate. Feels like my eyes are going crazy, my hands are trying to keep up, and my brain is just sort of there. Is this a thing? Or have a lost my mind?

And Im only on level 4 o_O

Watching the trailer, I couldn't even tell how it could be fun. To me everything about it gameplay wise looks like it would be lame, but all this hype.... Damn. The way its described sounds like an experience I'd be a fool to opt out of. Looks like I'm going to have to buy it. Since no PSVR, Switch will do me just fine.

sn00zer

I like it, but the game feels a little light on art assets due to the artstyle. Love everything else about it, played mostly in VR and the game just hits like a brick.

Neiteio

Watching the trailer, I couldn't even tell how it could be fun. To me everything about it gameplay wise looks like it would be lame, but all this hype.... Damn. The way its described sounds like an experience I'd be a fool to opt out of. Looks like I'm going to have to buy it. Since no PSVR, Switch will do me just fine.
There's a high level of precision that doesn't come across in footage. Even if you play casually, like I do for the most part, it's one of the more engaging games out there. The flow of the levels and the audio/visual/haptic feedback for your actions is simply fantastic, and completing a world is so satisfying.

EVO

Im at 7 now. I mean you just have to take a perect turn while flying and that's it lol. Sometimes i screw up because you have to hold up and the direction of the turn kinda at the same time and i dont hit that upper left/right corner sweet spot all the time.

You don't have to hold up to fly, you only need to tap it to initiate the flight. After that all you've got to do is hold A or whatever. Makes taking perfect turns in flight a lot easier.

Neiteio

The first five seconds of 8-19:

START

Chugga Chugga Chugga
Chugga Chugga Chugga
Thump thump thump MISS
BRRRZZZZZZTTTT

Pause - Restart from Checkpoint

x100

Cerium

I need advice for getting the pounds right, because I got stuck on 3-Omega where they expect three pounds in a row and I had to stop when my thumb literally began to blister. It's the first time I've felt, mechanically, that the game is not responding to my will.

Neiteio

I need advice for getting the pounds right, because I got stuck on 3-Omega where they expect three pounds in a row and I had to stop when my thumb literally began to blister. It's the first time I've felt, mechanically, that the game is not responding to my will.
How far did you get on 3-Omega? Did you reach the shield phase? Main thing with that boss, iirc, is you have to pause a moment before hitting the last shot when he sends out two in a row. Some of the thumps are staggered, like thump, thump... thump! You're probably tapping too early. And remember, each part loops, so you can learn the timing and layout by ignoring the thumps and doing practice laps - just be sure to hold A and bank at the turns!

upandaway

Which thumb was it? My thumb was hurting when I was using A as my event button, I switched to ZR and it's been swell ever since. Never had a problem with the pound specifically though

Cerium

How far did you get on 3-Omega? Did you reach the shield phase? Main thing with that boss, iirc, is you have to pause a moment before hitting the last shot when he sends out two in a row. Some of the thumps are staggered, like thump, thump... thump! You're probably tapping too early. And remember, each part loops, so you can learn the timing and layout by ignoring the thumps and doing practice laps - just be sure to hold A and bank at the turns!

I mean the only reason I would need the pounds is if I reached the shield phase.

It's not a matter of tapping anything, it's a matter of pressing down on the joy stick immediately after pressing up to get airborne to collect the circles. The strain of doing that three times in a row in rapid succession tore the skin from my finger.

I can hit one or two each time but three in a row is demanding and actually painful. Timing is not the issue, I'm asking if there's something I can do differently mechanically. Anytime I try it with a lighter touch, the game simply doesn't recognize the pound, mistimed or not.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I feel like I've hit a mechanical barrier where playing further is physically impossible for me.

Neiteio

I mean the only reason I would need the pounds is if I reached the shield phase.

It's not a matter of tapping anything, it's a matter of pressing down on the joy stick immediately after pressing up to get airborne to collect the circles. The strain of doing that three times in a row in rapid succession tore the skin from my finger.

I can hit one or two each time but three in a row is physically demanding and actually painful. Timing is not the issue, I'm asking if there's something I can do differently mechanically. Anytime I try it with a lighter touch, the game simply doesn't recognize the pound, mistimed or not.
Oh, I misread your original post. So it's your thumb on the joystick, from pulling back for the pound. I don't remember having to do that that often (and certainly not hard enough to wear out my thumb). I didn't necessarily try to get all the rings, though. You can pound without getting rings, but I'll have to watch a video of that boss to refresh myself on the timing and layout, and see what you're up against exactly.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
$14 on Steam or $27 on Switch.

How good is that HD Rumble really?

wildfire

Banned
So has anyone here played Dyad? How does that compare to Thumper? I was attracted to Dyad based on how complicated it was so when I look at videos of Thumper I see a lot of simplicity. The only saving grace is that there aren't any bullshit surprises so you're clearly reacting to what is on screen instead of being forced to memorize sections.

That simplicity seems to be why a lot of people are praising it for being laser focused but Dyad shows there are more ways to getting into a groove.

Jyester

Game definitely clicked! Just beat level 5. I feel I've gotten better, and got to know the general flow. Great game! Definitely keep playing once you hit that first difficulty spike around the start of level 4. You'll get the hang of it.

Lasers make me cry every time tho.

Also wish there were different boss characters. The omega stages start with a sense of ominous foreboding, but in the end it's always the same face popping up.

Rumble has never really added anything for me in any game, and it's the same for me in Thumper. Maybe it's different if you're a fan of rumble, but I just never really notice it.

zigg

Thumper is the first game of its nature to make me feel something I hadnt felt before. Its almost like my brain and my body are separate. Feels like my eyes are going crazy, my hands are trying to keep up, and my brain is just sort of there. Is this a thing? Or have a lost my mind?

Haha, this sounds like a more colorful version of how I feel.
Honestly it sorta reminds me of the final level of Elite Beat Agents but all the time. ❤️ that feeling.

Neiteio

These laser things on level 5 are killing me. Can't figure out the rhythm for one part that looks like a double triplet with a skipped beat.
Are you on 5-1? That's the single greatest difficulty spike in the game. Fortunately, it's also a short section and easy to repeat. After that section, your subsequent encounters with the laser ring, in that world, won't be nearly as high stakes. Also, if you keep trying 5-1, you'll reach a point where you shift your focus down the track and intuitively hit all the thumps. It trains you so well that you'll rarely miss them for the rest of the world.

japtor

There's a high level of precision that doesn't come across in footage. Even if you play casually, like I do for the most part, it's one of the more engaging games out there. The flow of the levels and the audio/visual/haptic feedback for your actions is simply fantastic, and completing a world is so satisfying.
Yeah the audiovisual and haptic feedback working together is pretty great, and besides the flow of the levels themselves is just the flow of the game UX in general. Once you start a level there's basically nothing stopping you from playing until you finish other than you explicitly pausing or quitting yourself. Like when you die it just starts right back up at the last checkpoint, there's no continue/retry confirmation screen, it just keeps going.

I think the closest comparisons for me are stuff like Super Hexagon or Super Gravitron or the Trials games. They don't have the auto restart like Thumper but they restart immediately with a button* so they all get me into the same mindset of going forever until I beat the level (albeit in the case of Trials at its best, keep reatarting until I perfect run a level...I'm not good enough at Thumper to try that yet).

*Actually this is my biggest gripe with Thumper. The quick restart button isn't quick enough, I'd like it to just restart immediately from the last checkpoint instead of going to a menu.
Also wish there were different boss characters. The omega stages start with a sense of ominous foreboding, but in the end it's always the same face popping up.
Yeah that'd be nice. So far it just seems like it's just going to be doing slightly different variations, but just something more different would be welcomed.
Rumble has never really added anything for me in any game, and it's the same for me in Thumper. Maybe it's different if you're a fan of rumble, but I just never really notice it.
I think it adds to it but not in a super obvious manner, like it doesn't stand out on its own but in conjunction with or compliment to the audio/video it's really well done. Like it's so perfectly in sync with everything else that it seamlessly blends in as part of the experience, I feel like it doesn't stand out because it's just so well integrated.

Neiteio

I don't mind the recurring boss. Each time he appears, he's a bit more freaky-looking than before. For example, in World 1 he's just a head, but in World 7 he's a head with spiky tentacles!

He reminds me a bit of Nemesis in Resident Evil 3, in how he's a recurring foe who grows stronger with each encounter. Makes him feel persistent, like a thorn in my side. I imagine it'll be very satisfying to smite him once and for all in World 9.

And the dread is still there, to some degree. Every time I reach the omega phase, I'm all like:

giphy.gif

GDGF

Soothsayer

You're "in the zone".

And it's an incredible feeling.

phanphare

Banned

cannot praise it enough. in a game like this it adds so much. every input is more satisfying because of it and when you get on a roll the intensity of the game literally pulses through your hands.

Neiteio

The HD Rumble when you send back a boss's attack is AWESOME.

Feels like this:

giphy.gif

gVNncD.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

...compressed into one glorious time-stopping moment.

Wamb0wneD

You don't have to hold up to fly, you only need to tap it to initiate the flight. After that all you've got to do is hold A or whatever. Makes taking perfect turns in flight a lot easier.

OOOH. Mind blown haha. Thanks!

The HD Rumble when you send back a boss's attack is AWESOME.

Feels like this:

giphy.gif

gVNncD.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

...compressed into one glorious time-stopping moment.

I TOLD YOU MAN! I TRIED TO SPREAD THE WORD BUT NOONE LISTENED! Slam into those mofocking green tiles! Best thing.

Just bought it from the eShop, was surprised my credit card was accepted! I usually buy eShop card codes but I had some remaining balance and didn't want to buy a full $20 card from Amazon.

Excited to have my brain melted by this game.

Q8D3vil

When it lunched i bought it and it was ok, then refunded it because i dont think i would have played more than the initial two hours.
Now i kinda want to buy it again to try it in vr, gonna check the refund policy at oculus.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just bought it from the eShop, was surprised my credit card was accepted! I usually buy eShop card codes but I had some remaining balance and didn't want to buy a full $20 card from Amazon.

Excited to have my brain melted by this game.

Remember to turn the volume up in the options menu

Plum

So, Level 5... holy fuck. This game just got real. S ranks and perfect turns are one thing, now I'm just focusing on not dying. The sheer level of intense concentration this game demands of you is something I've yet to see paralleled. The tagline of "rhythm violence" is fitting as it is perhaps the most "violent" game I've played in a while. You're constantly on the defensive, never allowed any freedom and are only allowed two mistakes before your fuckin' dead, and now Level 5 is bringing the long-as-fuck sections death is starting to feel incredibly meaningful. I love it.

Have fun!

Thanks. I played up to the Level 1 boss and loved what I played so far. Kept dying at the boss and switched to Zelda (that game's pull on me is still very strong, and today is the first time in days that I get a chance to comfortably play), will be going back to Thumper soon. I like the level of challenge so far... Not sure how I'll feel about it when the difficulty ramps up as I keep reading!
Remember to turn the volume up in the options menu

Yeah that was the first thing I did. I'm playing with the Switch in a holder above my bed and with split joycons, with the sound pumped through a speaker resting on the pillow right above my head. Sounds great.

But gotta say I was disappointed with the HD Rumble, can barely feel it. I think it might have to do with the detached split joycons, cause I remember also not feeling it much in Fast RMX when I played like that but felt it much stronger when I played that game in handheld mode. Sucks that for some reason the rumble feels really weak when I play in my favorite position. Will try Thumper with the joycons attached to the Switch later and see if the rumble feels "HD" that way :p

tanuki

Got this yesterday and I'm in love. Made it to the end of level 2, ended with sweaty palms and full of adrenaline. What a game.

The HD rumble when playing with split joycons is fantastic too. This game made me a believer.

Picked this up today and played through the first four worlds. Pretty neat and a lot of fun, reminds me a lot of the BIT-TRIP series in its overall rhythm game feel.

Kinda wish there was more variety in visuals and audio, though. Hoping it mixes things up a little in the future - the levels have a bad habit of feeling really samey.

Neiteio

So what's the key difference between Switches HD rumble, or a gamepad? Is the experience noticably worse on switch if using a pro controller?
The Switch's Pro Controller also has HD Rumble. The effect seems stronger with the Joy-cons, though. And of course, a game has to support the feature.

Neiteio

So is HD rumble just more powerful? Increased number of motors? What separates it from the others?
I don't know what the tech is, but the end result feels more "animated." Like in 1-2 Switch, there's a game where you move the Joycon around and count the number of "marbles" inside. HD Rumble creates much more detailed and precise sensations. Hard to describe.

I don't know what the tech is, but the end result feels more "animated." Like in 1-2 Switch, there's a game where you move the Joycon around and count the number of "marbles" inside. HD Rumble creates much more detailed and precise sensations. Hard to describe.

Yeah, what makes HD Rumble higher definition is that there are more levels of contrast between the highs and lows.

Top Bottom