• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein: UE4 running on "systems we cant name yet"

Instro

If it scales like the other UE engines then it will be on anything that can run the APIs needed, which would likely be everything except the 3DS(no programmable shader support correct?).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Maybe Unreal 3.5 at best for Wii-U

Are you including Vita (less powerfull in rought terms copared to PS3) and excluding Wii U (more powerful than PS3) because you think that Wii U will be NOT supported by them, or because...I don't know.

Setero

Neo Member
Systems plural confuses me, I expected it to be a new Microsoft console, especially given Epic Games relationship with them, but I really can't see Sony's new console that far in development.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Systems plural confuses me, I expected it to be a new Microsoft console, especially given Epic Games relationship with them, but I really can't see Sony's new console that far in development.

Other 3rd parties use UE quite a bit so this new engine will be scalable for a variety of platforms given they can run the engine.

Hato-kun

Ugh. If Microsoft actually call it the 720, I will kill myself.

Were people assuming the next Nintendo after the 64 would be the 128?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So if this focused on and showcased ipad 3s and iphone 5s (and by extension, could be supported on pretty much everything out there home console wise, including existing consoles), where is the 'profound effect' it'll have? On the production side rather than the 'player facing' side?

When UE3 was introduced it suggested a level of technical sophistication that players should expect from games.

If UE4 is showcased first on mobile, it might be a harder sell for the players compared to that. UE3-based games could easily tap what that hardware can do.

That wouldn't really be congruent either with Tim Sweeney's talk about wanting console makers to offer a big leap etc. Surely he and Epic knows that if a new UE rev is being marketed publicly, people - consumers - will expect to see a big leap from it too. I think devs also...are they crying out for a new unreal engine for mobile? I think they will be crying out far more for a new engine for next-gen home hardware...that's where developers will have new problems that Epic will seek to solve.

So despite talk about iphones and all that, I think Epic knows that it needs 'big' hardware to showcase UE4, for the first time at least. They need to spell out the case for a new engine, a case I don't think is really there with mobile or ipad3 or iphone5. I expect it'll be shown first on PC, then on new consoles. No doubt it will support mobile too, but that'd be for the convenience of developers rather than as an attempt to blow the socks off consumers.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Shit dudes he said Wii U in the list, then consoles he couldn't.

Batman, Aliens runs on UE3 and are coming to Wii U, SHOCKING NEWS

iamvin22

Industry Verified
popcorn_2.gif

Of course he can't name them. That's Sony and Microsoft's prerogative...and Nintendo's hopefully going to rename the Wii U, too.

Busty

Banned
Just wanted to say that I'm offering free hugs to anyone who seriously believes that the WiiU will be able to run UE4.

When you find out that this is not going to be the case you'll be upset. You'll need a hug.

Just PM me your location and I'll jump on my scooter and come by and administer a hug.

Don't call me a hero. I'm just doing what I can.

Just wanted to say that I'm offering free hugs to anyone who seriously believes that the WiiU will be able to run UE4.

When you find out that this is not going to be the case you'll be upset. You'll need a hug.

Just PM me your location and I'll jump on my scooter and come by and administer a hug.

lol. What will you do if it does?

It clearly isn't trolling. Nothing any developer has said suggests that the Wii U is so much more powerful than current consoles that it can run game engines that could not run, albeit in a lesser capacity, on PS3 and 360. If it runs at a decent framerate and decent resolution on Wii U, it isn't a stretch to suggest that it could run with fewer bells and whistles on existing consoles. It's simply the flipside of saying the Wii U can run current games but at 1080p, 60fps and with a few more shaders, which is a suggestion you find all over Neogaf.

Grape

Banned
So basically it comes down to the fact that it's going to take a while before it gets here... UE4 could actually be like Duke Nukem forever, took forever to complete and left most of it's victims with a "Meh" at best =^.^=

Epic sure loves attention.

Of course they are, it's their (main) job and it was pretty obvious to me, at least.

I don't think it says much about the machines' power either. They'll obviously be better than what we have now, enough to create a new engine. If Vita can handle UE3, I'm sure WiiU can handle UE4.

squidyj

UE4 will run on Wii U. I'm not sure why you think it wont

tkscz

That's a console he could name.

I really hope the Samaritan tech demo will turn somehow into a game. That looked like a cool thing.

Not really, considering that after E3, Nintendo pretty much made a lot of devs be hush hush about their projects. Hell, I thought I'd hear a lot about killer freaks, but nothing. Stuff about DarkSiders II suddenly stopped.

Guys, he specifically said Wii U right before he said "AND systems we cant name yet". So yeah, 720 and PS4.

and Dreamcast 2

Jibbed

Yes.

March 2013

See what you did there.

Does anyone honestly think the next generation of consoles will be revealed this year? 2013/14 seems much more realistic if you consider what we've been hearing recently from Microsoft and Sony.

I know it's mostly people trolling about the iPad 3, but I'm sure the thing will be pretty impressive nonetheless.

It's all three next gen systems, Wii U included.

I'd have to say this too, I can imagine (even in their most basic iteration) prototype consoles already up and running tech like this.

Krilekk

Banned
That's a console he could name.

I really hope the Samaritan tech demo will turn somehow into a game. That looked like a cool thing.

Since Epic has a history of tech demos being made from assets of games using them (UE and MMX functions were promoted with Unreal, UE2 was promoted with Unreal 2, UE3 was promoted with Gears of War) and not wasting artists on stuff for wowing people I'm pretty sure Samaritian will not only turn into a game, it is a game already.

Top Bottom