• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Seems like a surefire disaster for consumer confidence if Nintendo actually pulled the Wii U from the market.

There's no reason to pull it from the market.
Nintendo has enough money to ride it out until there's no more demand for it, so the product dies by itself...also they have still a few games to promote like MK and DK.

Wotanik

Banned
This however, does not. See, I was thinking the smaller set of numbers would have the smaller section, like this.....

Because I didn't know if you were serious or not. It's logical to go from the smallest one to the biggest one: second -> minute -> hour/day -> month -> year/1 -> 10 -> 100. Isn't it very logical? =)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The pyramid analogy makes no sense. You don't build a pyramid from the top down, so if days are the top of the period, why would you start with days in a date? You build a pyramid from the base up. If you want to defend D-M-Y, you can't use a pyramid to do it.

Y-M-D is the format that makes the most sense, because dates are always numerically increasing which makes arithmetic possible. That's why computer dates are handled that way (when they're not handled as integer number-of-seconds-in-Unix-epoch). Of course North America doesn't use Y-M-D, so I guess we're both wrong.

But given that in regular conversation year is not significant in many cases (ie when I say "I'm going to the mall on Sunday", I don't need to tell you which Sunday, you just assume it's the chronologically next Sunday--so when I say "I'm going to Jamaica on February 18th", I don't need to say of what year), then we leave the year blank because it's a given, and we only say the Month-Day portion!

Because I didn't know if you were serious or not. It's logical to go from the smallest one to the biggest one: second -> minute -> hour/day -> month -> year/1 -> 10 -> 100. Isn't it very logical? =)

That's why the number 1234 means four thousand, three hundred and twenty one. It's logical to go from the smallest to the largest when reading left to right.

nikatapi

There's no reason to pull it from the market.
Nintendo has enough money to ride it out until there's no more demand for it, so the product dies by itself...also they have still a few games to promote like MK and DK.

So there is demand for it now?

Just kidding, i agree with you, they'll just have to do whatever they can to put more games on the console, maybe do more collaborations with Japanese 3rd parties, and in the meantime prepare for the next step.

SmokyDave

What about time, man?

If I say it's 16:31, I'm putting the smaller units first (because there is no 31st hour), but then hours are larger units of time than minutes, so maybe I'm putting the larger units first.

Huh.

rjc571

Banned
If I verbally asked a European person what day it was, would they actually say "it's the 24th of January" as opposed to "January 24th"?

javac

I don't know why we are taking about date formatting but Day Month and Year makes the most sense.

The day changes you know...every day. 24th today and 25th tomorrow. Once we hit the end of the month the day resets to 01 and then the month changes +1 and once the month reaches 12 it resets to 01 and the year changes +1. Makes sense right?

I'm still confused why we are talking about this 0_o

SmokyDave

If I verbally asked a European person what day it was, would they actually say "it's the 24th of January" as opposed to "January 24th"?
I can only speak for myself, but yeah. I'd say today was the 24th of January.

Well, I'd probably just say 'it's the 24th', but you get the idea.

Well, when you put it that way it does make sense. I'll still use the backwards way though. :)

The pyramid analogy makes no sense. You don't build a pyramid from the top down, so if days are the top of the period, why would you start with days in a date? You build a pyramid from the base up. If you want to defend D-M-Y, you can't use a pyramid to do it.

Y-M-D is the format that makes the most sense, because dates are always numerically increasing which makes arithmetic possible. That's why computer dates are handled that way (when they're not handled as integer number-of-seconds-in-Unix-epoch). Of course North America doesn't use Y-M-D, so I guess we're both wrong.

But given that in regular conversation year is not significant in many cases (ie when I say "I'm going to the mall on Sunday", I don't need to tell you which Sunday, you just assume it's the chronologically next Sunday--so when I say "I'm going to Jamaica on February 18th", I don't need to say of what year), then we leave the year blank because it's a given, and we only say the Month-Day portion!

That's why the number 1234 means four thousand, three hundred and twenty one. It's logical to go from the smallest to the largest when reading left to right.

Year Month Day?! Now that's a whole new can of worms. Damn it Gamestop/Ubisoft/Nintendo! Look what you've unleashed!

Like you said: Wii U sales at 1 and 1.8% is just wow.

5. Batman: Arkham Origins (360, PS3, Wii U, PC) - <650,000 (PS3 + 360 = 98.2%, Wii U = 1.8%)
6. Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag (360, PS3, Wii U) - <630,000 (Wii U = 1%)

after reading this, ubisoft has every right to cancel the wii-u version.

IvorB

We can use the pyramid because it demonstrates an order which can be followed from top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top. It show how illogical it is to go middle, first then last. But I agree the yyyy/mm/dd is also valid.

The US military uses YYYYMMDD, as in, today's date is 20140124. Then it just goes all to hell when you convert it to a Date-time-group...

241058SJAN14

IvorB

I guess it would depend on the European to be honest. They might even say: "Jest dwudziesty czwarty stycznia."

yeah, I read the article, son... and I worked in business journalism for a while.

you can see that there are two "sources" of Ubisoft... one properly identified with name and position, even with a proper quote, with the specific event and date when it happeed...

and the other is a vague quote from a nameless "Ubisoft spokeperson".

I'm not saying that that's EXACTLY what happened, but I'm just saying it's bad journalism and there are reasons to be skeptical about the story.

Still plenty of time to adress the issue. This issue/rumour is on for like what more than a day ?
You're telling me nobody was contacted ? nobody at ubisoft reacted ?
Nothing on a watchdog feed on a social network ( doesn't matter witch one )

I hardly doubt it's the journalists fault ...when they( ubisoft ) aren't communicating. it's , last time i checked , still one of their biggest titles for 2014 you'd think that they would be aware if something like that was happenning.

a simple "The game is still on track , we'll investigate what happenned on our end" and the whole issue would be over by now.

Wotanik

Banned
I have no idea what this topic is about anymore...

It is about the possibility if Watch_Dogs is released in our parallel universes and what time format they are using in those worlds... also if they have Wii U or Wii Ü there, or maybe even Wii You. Or something. Just make your own theory.

Vlade

I prefer to represent the day of the month (and similarly year and month) in a single digit using the alphanumeric decimal system modular 36, that is, the 1st would be 1, the 11th is a, and the 31st is u, it saves space and is therefore highly logical. computers can easily understand it and i find it important to have an opinion about clerical conventions. The same system can be used for the months. I prefer to list the year first so that my excel spreadsheets sort chronologically naturally. this way, December 25th, the year of our lord two thousand and eleven is simply 1iu-b-o. could not be easier, shorter, nor better. unless....

A high of 2 Monday. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey?
matt-smith.gif

The release date for Watch Dogs is currently wrong. They have 28.02, but they meant to put 2802, 788 years into the future.

Yep gonna need a tardis for this one

QaaQer

To avoid confusion, months should always be represented by 2 or 3 letters, as on best before dates on packaged foods.

edit: haha, do I ever sound like a govt employee.

royox

And the ride continues. Just another month.

Wait, in the pyramids, why is the month section larger than the day section?

Because a Month is a "pack" of days. And a year is a "pack" of months.

1 Day ---> 24h
1 month--->30-31 days
1 year -----> 12 months.

Wotanik

Banned
Because a Month is a "pack" of days. And a year is a "pack" of months.

1 Day ---> 24h
1 month--->30-31 days
1 year -----> 12 months.

This is what I've been saying. From the smallest unit to the biggest unit. Highly logical.

-> 1 second
1 minute -> 60 seconds
1 hour -> 60 minutes
1 day -> 24 hours
1 month ->28-31 days
1 year -> 12 months

And there's your pyramid. Biggest unit is the biggest block. =)

Mr-Joker

Banned
I love it how this thread went from the Wii U version of Watch_Dog maybe being cancelled to what's the best way to right the date.

By the date/month/year and year/month/day are the correct one, month/day/year is wrong and should burn in hell.

I am a supporter of month day year. I feel that gives a good reference point right at the start. A day is mostly useless on its own, if I say 14 that could be any month of any year, it gives you no real info on where in the calendar year it is. A year is too broad and usually in the context of most situations you probably know what year you are searching for. The month gives the most general info of when a date is, I believe it's the most important date so that should go first to put the rest of the date in proper context. That's my take on this stupid subject.

And being american I would say either it's the 24th or January 24. I would never say it's the 24th of January. That sounds so weird.

Griss

Wait, so Americans would actually say 'It's January 24th' instead of (the correct) 'It's the 24th of January.'? Get the fuck outta here. That's blatantly wrong. I'm surprised any of you ever show up for anything on time, or that your airline industry functions at all.

As for Watch Dogs, I've read the thread and I have absolutely no fucking idea what the story is with it right now. 50/50 call in my head right now as to whether it's cancelled or not.

Wait, so Americans would actually say 'It's January 24th' instead of (the correct) 'It's the 24th of January.'?

I usually say one of the two, or just the day (24th). I don't really have a preference for any of the three options, so I just pick one at random and it works itself out.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As for Watch Dogs, I've read the thread and I have absolutely no fucking idea what the story is with it right now. 50/50 call in my head right now as to whether it's cancelled or not.

It's canceled and released as timed exclusive on 28th of February.

Wait, so Americans would actually say 'It's January 24th' instead of (the correct) 'It's the 24th of January.'? Get the fuck outta here. That's blatantly wrong. I'm surprised any of you ever show up for anything on time, or that your airline industry functions at all.

So, I schedule an interview with you on January 24th -- and let me stress that I'm saying January 24th, not 1/24 (not that that would be confusing either). What day are you showing up for the interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom