• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
This is true except that wii U or the latter machines are "the same" than this generation. There is no need to make new development tools (or not too different) to work with the new machines as all the companies had to do with x360/ps3. Basically the architecture will be very close.

So in theory you could have better (much better) things at launch in this machines than in other generations.

Besides I don't think we will see things like uncharted 3 (or better) at wii U launch. It's my personal opinion, I hope I'll be wrong.

There are two reasons why I could see this: 1) Lazy devs, 2) time constraints. A dev is rushed to get the game ready for launch. Even then, if one dev can already have a game looking better on the Wii U than PS360, than why not multiple devs with multiple games.

Azure J

I'm pretty sure the rumor that FOXCONN will be manufacturing the WiiU was brought up already but anyways, I guess this confirms it. (if it wasn't already confirmed)

It's an old-ish financial forecast by HSBC for FOXCONN (Mar. 27, 2012), basically saying that they are expecting a strong 2nd 2012 half, mainly from the launch of WiiU and Iphone 5.

(economics is def. not my thing - I hope I'm not reading it all wrong)

Old?

I'm going to be fucking broke this year, aren't I? :lol

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Dual pointing? Sounds iimpossible to operate. Even the thought using the controller with our off-hands seems really tough.

One reason I'm glad they switched from wiimote standard is that the controls for Pikmin 3 will be closer to Gamecube convention. Didn't like what I read about the compromises they made for NPC Pikmin.

MDX

I still think that you guys are crazy for even considering that Oban for Wii U.

The codename has meaning in Japanese
The timing is very similar
The partners are the same.

Either its a BS rumor,
The reporter attributed the wrong company to the information,
or its a strange coincidence.

BurntPork

Banned

Either its a BS rumor,

Strange coincidence.

And the timing doesn't work because the chip isn't set to enter mass production in time for a 2012 release, so unless you think Wii U is getting delayed it's out of the question.

I guess that 33% of the time is the time you spend on gaf

No, I spend 40% on Gaf.

About the CPU, do we know approximatively how much cores will it have ?

Everything is pointing to three dual-threaded cores, like the 360 except OoOE.

About the CPU, do we know approximatively how much cores will it have ?
We don't KNOW diddly. Some rumors say it'll be super powered,some say it won't be much better than current-gen systems. I even read one thing saying it was just an overclocked Wii CPU. As you can read right nw, people are discussing this Oban chip as well, which is a combined CPU/GPU. Unfortunately, there are just too many rumors to figure out the truth.

Dual pointing? Sounds iimpossible to operate. Even the thought using the controller with our off-hands seems really tough.

One reason I'm glad they switched from wiimote standard is that the controls for Pikmin 3 will be closer to Gamecube convention. Didn't like what I read about the compromises they made for NPC Pikmin.
PC Pikmin played a lot better than the original. Played both back to back and it was a heaven to earth difference. However, since Pikmin is an strategy game it could benefit a lot from a direct touch control method in the subscreen.

Dual pointing could be great if a game is designed with the player limitations in mind.

Either its a BS rumor,

The meaning in Japanese being "Bitchy old woman" from what I can see... :-D

NeonZ

They announced that the next Smash Bros is coming to WiiU and 3DS and that they will connect in some way. But nothing about being different games.

It's exactly the other way around. They'll have some kind of connectivity, but they're confirmed to be different games.

Sakurai said that his aim with the 3DS version is to offer players a slightly different experience from conventional Smash Bros. games.

http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

You can see how he keeps mentioning the 3DS version having some kind of co-op and collectible focus while the Wii U version would be a more traditional experience (aside from the connectivity feature).

I don't know if you are crazier than me (I'm not.... so you are :p ). All I know is that I'm going to buy the Wii U and most of the games Nintendo will put on the system.
I just love their games. No need to ask questions :)

That said I'm happy to read this thread once in a while so I can just imagine what it could be (or not) with you.

And also for that Nintendo is certainly magic !

Oddduck

PC Pikmin played a lot better than the original. Played both back to back and it was a heaven to earth difference. However, since Pikmin is an strategy game it could benefit a lot from a direct touch control method.

Dual pointing could be great if a game is designed with the player limitations in mind.

I think Pikmin will be the game that shows everyone the possibilities of RTS games using the Wii U controller.

BlackJace

I think Smash Bros 3DS will focus more on the Adventure mode aspect.

I think this is good because I don't want another Brawl scenario where it seemed like SSE took up a lot of dev time. Keep it simple Sakurai.

z0m3le

Banned
BG: sorry, I was replying to the conversation of abandoning the wiimote, I quoted from you as EC was pages back and I thought it would be rude to reply to him after you, but I do think 2 wiimotes should have always been explored as a control option, granted no analog would probably be a bit off putting though a new Nunchuk with IR isn't completely out of the question.
Runing sub HD doesn't disqualified as a next gen gaming. Resolution is just a part of the visual's equation.

You are purposely dancing around the issues z0m3le. If in your opinion Kameo or PD Zero are not generational leaps. You had Project Gotham at launch which represents a clear show case of a generational leap in visuals.

This part of your post i have issues with because plain and simple is self constructed so you can give some type of reply. First because is so obvious, "the visual in games improves as a generation goes by" "so 2 later released games (Creed and Oblivion) look better". That's never being up for debate in the first place.

I am not dancing around anything, its quite obvious that we are talking about two different things, from just the way the game looks, PGR3 looks a lot like 2, granted there is improvements but not what the average Joe would associate with a 10 fold increase in visuals.

But what you are talking about, I think I agree with... PGR3 couldn't be done on Xbox.

ecosse_011172

lherre's posts make me a sad bunny.

If someone with knowledge of the hardware state that matching a high current gen standard (Uncharted 3) is unlikely despite the next gen machine being easy to develop for is as clear a sign as any that it's essentially a 360 with some more RAM :-(

BG: sorry, I was replying to the conversation of abandoning the wiimote, I quoted from you as EC was pages back and I thought it would be rude to reply to him after you, but I do think 2 wiimotes should have always been explored as a control option, granted no analog would probably be a bit off putting though a new munching with IR isn't completely out of the question.
That could have some cool uses. But you know for what i settle right now? A nunchuck with a gyro, basically Motion + nunchuck with some improvements. What's cool is that Nintendo can do this withouth splitting the user base.

I am not dancing around anything, its quite obvious that we are talking about two different things, from just the way the game looks, PGR3 looks a lot like 2, granted there is improvements but not what the average Joe would associate with a 10 fold increase in visuals.

But what you are talking about, I think I agree with... PGR3 couldn't be done on Xbox.
Not to be offensive :) The bolded part is insane z0m3le. Wow.

Similar in that both are racing games in the same franchise. Visually? Not even in the same realm. X¬D

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
AiQIA.jpg

Please tell me this is the picture placed at the end of the OP of the Nintendo E3 2012 press conference OT.

lherre

Accurate

If someone with knowledge of the hardware state that matching a high current gen standard (Uncharted 3) is unlikely despite the next gen machine being easy to develop for is as clear a sign as any that it's essentially a 360 with some more RAM :-(

The main word there was "at launch".

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I think Pikmin will be the game that shows everyone the possibilities of RTS games using the Wii U controller.

But Pikmin is also an adventure game. That's why I find it appealing, all the decisions are being made by a character, Captain Olimar, and not some kind of 1st person God or general overlooking a map. For that reason I don't think Nintendo will actually use the touch screen for the main gameplay, tossing Pikmin.

DrWong

Is the lack of "expected progress" due to lack of development time with confirmed hardware or tools, lack of horsepower or another reason?
Budget + time I guess, nothing to do with hardware capabilities.

DrWong

Yep, and releasing a powerful systeme doesn't mean automatic über stunning visuals, you need to work for it. I know Nintendo has magic but hey...

z0m3le

Banned
The main word there was "at launch".
Fixed functionality sharers on die confirmed, I mean you did basically say ps4 and xb3 could reach a majority of their potential at launch, so Wii u's is "locked" in someway.

Also, I agree that I might be crazy, I linked PGR2 in an earlier reply, the cars look pretty good, though obviously PGR3 looks better, especially the back grounds

guit3457

Can someone explain to me why the people trust in lherre so much? I have read his comments in a spanish forum where we both post and I haven't found anything remarkable.

ChuyMasta

This reminds me of the time when Matt Cassamassina speculated the norm for Wii games would be RE4 caliber. His logic was developers are familiar with the architecture of the hardware so they don't have to spend so much time developing from the ground up.

Now we know what happened with the Wii. There's probably 5 games that really match RE4 in terms of quality.

What am I saying, even if the next console had the capabilities to produce Uncharted 3. How many will we realistically get?

Hey remember when I said I can't wait for the bitching to ensue when launch games don't look a lot better than this gen. Looks like it's already happening :p

Can someone explain to me why the people trust in lherre so much? I have read his comments in a spanish forum where we both post and I haven't found anything remarkable.
works with the dev kits I believe

ecosse_011172

Seriously. You guys need to settle down and learn to think. Launch 360 games didn't look leagues better (hell worse in some cases) or XBox games.

The point is that (from what I understand in this thread) current tools and middleware are stable and current practises can be used for the Wii U so there isn't the huge learning curve that there was with the 360 at launch so expectations should be higher than with the 360 launch.

If launch titles won't exceed previous generation visuals then there's clearly a reason for it.

I don't understand why there won't at least be a decent improvement in textures if RAM is significantly higher (as rumoured).

lherre

Accurate
Fixed functionality sharers on die confirmed, I mean you did basically say ps4 and xb3 could reach a majority of their potential at launch, so Wii u's is "locked" in someway.

erhm no ... i didn't say something like this ... I think Ace and DrWong are understanding my words better.

And we are comparing with uncharted 3 ...

walking fiend said:
beside the fact that there would be leaks, if there was going to be exclusives, I would have expected their previous reel to be at least mostly made of simultaneous releases, not only old releases.
Probably a lot harder to fill an E3 2011 reel with mostly footage from games that won't release anywhere until late 2012.
antonz said:
If the next xbox has a tablet controller that hurts nintendo even more because they lose their uniqueness and are left with an underpowered box that just does what the other does but not as well
Not unlike the Vita trumping 3DS in control possibilities. But being the followup to the bigger success, having a head start, exclusive games, and now a price advantage have kept 3DS from being usurped. So far.
AceBandage said:
No. He's saying devs don't have to rewrite the book with the Wii U, PS4 or Durango.
Heh. Kind of like going from GCN to Wii.
Gahiggidy said:
If they'd stuck on the remote path solidly, though, we'd get an improved version of Wii controls, hopefully without such compromises necessary.
ecosse_011172 said:
It could be the most powerful, easiest to develop for thing ever, and it would still take a lot of time/people/effort to simply make as much impressive stuff as is in AAA PS360 games. If most third party games are just multiplatform, and most of Nintendo's games go for a very different aesthetic, it wouldn't be surprising to see nothing that directly compares to Uncharted 3 in a positive way.

tkscz

I actually believe only ONE third party game is going to look better than it's next gen brethren, and that's Assassin's Creed III. I think the U version will look closer (not exactly like) to the bull-shots than the PS360.

The point is that (from what I understand in this thread) current tools and middleware are stable and current practises can be used for the Wii U so there isn't the huge learning curve that there was with the 360 at launch so expectations should be higher than with the 360 launch.

If launch titles won't exceed previous generation visuals then there's clearly a reason for it.

I don't understand why there won't at least be a decent improvement in textures if RAM is significantly higher (as rumoured).
3rd party developers don't give enough of a shit?

And for all we know there will be improvements, just nothing big at best.

Oddduck

So I have a question for you guys.

If Nintendo came up to you right now and said "You can have the Wii U the way it is right now or we can trade away our awesome Wii U controller for significantly more graphical processing horsepower and ram".

Would you make the trade, or do you want to keep the way Wii U is right now and keep the touchscreen controller?

I think this might be true simply because of the schedule and timing.

Not only the schedule and timing, but IGN's rumor that tied in with it as well. Once I learned of Nintendo's GPU additions I began to change my view on the amount of possible shaders it would have. I realized after-the-fact that the 6670 pretty much matches with that.

In fact here is an interesting coincidence. The dev kit GPU was supposedly underclocked to 450Mhz. And my take was Wii U's modified GPU would be clocked at 600Mhz.

DK GPU - 640 (ALUs) x .45 x 2 = 576 GFLOPs

Final GPU - 480 (ALUs) x .6 x 2 = 576 GFLOPs

Maybe it's because I'm a lefty and have to learn to do things right-handed makes it sound easy. :p

But a quick example would be in a FPS. The left pointer controls the camera, and the right pointer would be the gun.

Wasn't Oban some sort of fusion chip? (CPU/GPU)

An SoC.

Strange coincidences.

fixed

Everything is pointing to three dual-threaded cores, like the 360 except OoOE.

Yep.

We don't KNOW diddly. Some rumors say it'll be super powered,some say it won't be much better than current-gen systems. I even read one thing saying it was just an overclocked Wii CPU. As you can read right nw, people are discussing this Oban chip as well, which is a combined CPU/GPU. Unfortunately, there are just too many rumors to figure out the truth.

One thing is certain is that no rumors say the CPU is super-powered. In fact the CPU has been pointed to as being the problem as to why some can't get much out of Wii U.

z0m3le

Banned
This reminds me of the time when Matt Cassamassina speculated the norm for Wii games would be RE4 caliber. His logic was developers are familiar with the architecture of the hardware so they don't have to spend so much time developing from the ground up.

Now we know what happened with the Wii. There's probably 5 games that really match RE4 in terms of quality.

What am I saying, even if the next console had the capabilities to produce Uncharted 3. How many will we realistically get?

The difference there was that ps360 was different, not that the Wii was had to develop for. This time Wii U and PS4/XB3 will be virtually the same

Oddduck

I actually believe only ONE third party game is going to look better than it's next gen brethren, and that's Assassin's Creed III. I think the U version will look closer (not exactly like) to the bull-shots than the PS360.

Actually, it will probably be Alien: Colonial Marines if anything.

Gearbox are the only ones acknowledging the possibility for the Wii U Aliens could have better graphics than 360/ps3 versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom