• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

A few little bits from Brad Shoemaker's Twitter.

Hey, now that the embargo's up I can say that Bastion is a fantastic game and you would be out of your fool mind not to play it.

Coming from me/us, you can take that however you want, but I'll be shocked if my voice doesn't join a like-minded chorus today and tomorrow.

Vire

DaBuddaDa said:
Everyone in the gaming press has been *wink wink*ing this game this past week. They can't talk about it because of a strict embargo up Tuesday, but they've made it blatantly obvious that this is one of the greatest games of the generation and the best downloadable title of the year bar none. Expect a mid-90s metacritic.
Not quite the response so far but solid all around.

Seems fairly mixed in that they either "get it" or don't.

Gametrailers 8.7

DaBuddaDa

Vire said:
Not quite the response so far but solid all around.

Seems fairly mixed in that they either "get it" or don't.

Gametrailers 8.7
Yeah, maybe not. Added up the scores posted in this thread gives an 86 score. Not too shabby, and I think it might tick up a bit as the more lenient graders haven't released scores yet (ign, gameinformer).

okenny

Banned
What I gathered from the Destructoid review that I find a bit worrisome is that you can fall of the edges of the game map apparently? There's a lot of edges in this game and narrow paths leading from one battle area to the next (from what I've gathered from videos). I haven't seen any falling off that I can remember since watching the gameplay videos but it leaves me a little worried about how that may get frustrating.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
SalsaShark said:
I will pay whatever they ask once this hits PC on day 1.

Kasavin is pretty much my favorite person in the industry.

edit: if you read this, mad props Kasavin! you made it!

Jumped on live thinking it was out today, had to dl an xbox update and everything.

Also your post made me think of this pa strip.
215151481_UL3fw-L-2.jpg

http://revision3.com/trs/bastion TRS video review, they really liked it, no review numbers.

DustinC

okenny said:
What I gathered from the Destructoid review that I find a bit worrisome is that you can fall of the edges of the game map apparently? There's a lot of edges in this game and narrow paths leading from one battle area to the next (from what I've gathered from videos). I haven't seen any falling off that I can remember since watching the gameplay videos but it leaves me a little worried about how that may get frustrating.

You can fall off the edges, but it doesn't happen that often unless you're not paying much attention. Even if you do, you only take a slight amount of damage and you'll drop right back down onto the stage near where you fell off. Also, if you land on an enemy, you'll cause a little damage to them.

I'll strongly disagree with Sterling's comments on the combat involving a lot of button mashing too. There's no way you can make it through anything past the mid-point without using ample use of your shield and dodge roll, and plenty of enemies will require you to switch between projectile and melee weapons on a single stage. I'd love to see someone get through the Who Knows Where stuff by just walking around and tapping X.

Edit: Here's the link to my Gaming-Age review too: http://www.gaming-age.com/review/xbox360_xbla/bastion

Vire said:
Seems like reviewers are harping on the story being a little weak.

Greg! *Shakes fist*
if they give the game a 9 and say the story is "a little weak" then that really means that its the easiest thing to comment not-gushingly about :)

Vire

Cromulent_Word said:
if they give the game a 9 and say the story is "a little weak" then that really means that its the easiest thing to comment not-gushingly about :)
Haha, I'm just teasing.

That's a fantastic score.

cackhyena

Stallion Free said:
I gave up after the first two paragraphs because of how poorly written it was.
I've never read Destructoid before that, but it seemed fine to me. Seems like valid complaints. All things I was thinking about watching videos the past few months following the game.

okenny

Banned
DustinC said:
You can fall off the edges, but it doesn't happen that often unless you're not paying much attention. Even if you do, you only take a slight amount of damage and you'll drop right back down onto the stage near where you fell off. Also, if you land on an enemy, you'll cause a little damage to them.

I'll strongly disagree with Sterling's comments on the combat involving a lot of button mashing too. There's no way you can make it through anything past the mid-point without using ample use of your shield and dodge roll, and plenty of enemies will require you to switch between projectile and melee weapons on a single stage. I'd love to see someone get through the Who Knows Where stuff by just walking around and tapping X.

Edit: Here's the link to my Gaming-Age review too: http://www.gaming-age.com/review/xbox360_xbla/bastion

Thanks for that. I'd like to say I'm shocked that Jim left out such an important detail but I gather his words were in service of his negativity. Reading his take, I got the idea that falling would happen often and be more punitive. I'm not afraid of reading reviews from people I generally disagree with but a risk I take in doing so is being feed bad information.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
cackhyena said:
I've never read Destructoid before that, but it seemed fine to me. Seems like valid complaints. All things I was thinking about watching videos the past few months following the game.
I'm sorry, but I just couldn't take something like this: "The Kid types the intro to his review, knowing what must be done. He takes a pause to think of something devastatingly clever to say, but he's a videogame reviewer, so he knows he'll fail. He types another sentence. Another sentence still. The words flow from his fingertips like fine wine from a spilled jug at a party where everybody's wearing something nice."

adambash

Neo Member
Stallion Free said:
I'm sorry, but I just couldn't take something like this: "The Kid types the intro to his review, knowing what must be done. He takes a pause to think of something devastatingly clever to say, but he's a videogame reviewer, so he knows he'll fail. He types another sentence. Another sentence still. The words flow from his fingertips like fine wine from a spilled jug at a party where everybody's wearing something nice."

I think everyone who reviewed this game probably thought about starting with that third person voice. Thankfully most realized it was a bad idea.

adambash said:
I think everyone who reviewed this game probably thought about starting with that third person voice. Thankfully most realized it was a bad idea.
Well Destructoid is the village idiot of the enthusiast games press

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:

He's parroting what the announcer would say to him writing the review. It's not great, but it's not complete self-indulgent ramble. There's at least some context to why it's there.

That said, he certainly hasn't unsold me on the game. A lot of his complaints seem trivial and contradictory to me.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Destructoid giving another average review and all other reviews giving great scores. Yep it's a good game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
He's parroting what the announcer would say to him writing the review. It's not great, but it's not complete self-indulgent ramble. There's at least some context to why it's there.

That said, he certainly hasn't unsold me on the game. A lot of his complaints seem trivial and contradictory to me.
The narrator uses terrible similes?

cackhyena

1-D_FTW said:

What's contradictory in it? All I'm seeing so far are complaints to what I was wondering about as far as quality. I still want the game, but this quote sums up what I was expecting out of the game in the first place. I think he meant to say "satisfied" at the end there, though.

"There is fun to be had with Bastion, most certainly, but my advice is to keep one's expectations low. If a player goes in expecting a simple dungeon crawler with little to offer besides mindless combat and the base joys of acquiring power, then one will leave quite satisfying."

I knew it wasn't going to be the deep experience something like Torchlight 2. Which is fine. I'm just not seeing what's to harp on in the review, really. Again, I don't read this site's stuff, so I dunno.

Bento

Bah! Just saw the GT review and I feel they confirmed my worries that the narrator probably should have been skipped. Regardless, watching that video made the combat seem very good and with some beautiful visuals to boot, so I'll probably just mute it and play it with my own soundtrack.

First time I've ever audibly laughed at a video game review. The only justification for the 'score' that I was able to find in Sterling's review was that he overhyped it and it didn't live up to his hype. Is this par for the course with his work? Cause this was also the first time I've ever read a review of his.

cackhyena

Bento said:
Bah! Just saw the GT review and I feel they confirmed my worries that the narrator probably should have been skipped. Regardless, watching that video made the combat seem very good and with some beautiful visuals to boot, so I'll probably just mute it and play it with my own soundtrack.
Without the narrator and the visual style it has, I'm not sure what it has going for it over other games of similar types. I still wanna hear the guy speak. If only for a once through.

19 & 21 said:
First time I've ever audibly laughed at a video game review. The only justification for the 'score' that I was able to find in Sterling's review was that he overhyped it and it didn't live up to his hype. Is this par for the course with his work? Cause this was also the first time I've ever read a review of his.

He rolls with whatever is most likely to receive hits.

Vire

19 & 21 said:
He also gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5 and FF13 a 4. He's an idiot and does it for attention.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
19 & 21 said:

Don't bother reading another one of his reviews.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
darksagus said:
Loooooove the art style. Ill be picking this up once it hits PC for the art alone, regardless of gameplay.
Supposedly they are reworking the controls and stuff, but I still hope they keep in the controller option.

AEREC

I was already getting From Dust and Cold War, but just noticing this game for the first time today it looks like I will be getting it as well.

Bento said:

Wait, so all the other reviewers like the narrator and one doesn't so the narrator should have been skipped? I don't really get this line of reasoning.

Top Bottom