• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gastric Sleeve experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zushin

Howdy GAF,

So basically I have been obese for most of my life. Between 2012-2014 I managed to go from 205kg at my heaviest to 105kg through traditional means of diet and exercise. At the start of 2015 my Dad took his own life, which got me started on binge eating again and unfortunately since then I've stacked back on about 60kg. Since 2015 I've been trying hard to eat right, but I just keep fucking it up which leads to a bit of a nasty cycle. It's frustrating because it felt much easier the first time for some reason.

Fast forward to now and I've been looking at gastric sleeve options to limit the amount of food I can eat and hopefully get me back to where I was at least. I've just taken out private health cover (Australian here) to cover most of the costs and the waiting period for preexisting conditions is a year. I haven't 100% decided if I will go ahead once the year is up but I wanted to get the ball rolling to have that option open.

Just wanted to see others experience with this type of surgery and how they found the experience? Not being able to drink at meals seems like the biggest change to me that I will have to adjust to, how did you guys find that? Also, say if you're exercising and need to drink some water to rehydrate, is water forever limited to just sipping? Was your weight loss successful? Do you regret/not regret getting the surgery?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

SMattera

You've already established that you can lose weight and that your problem is psychological.

Maybe consider a therapist instead.

saizo

If you only weigh around 165kg~ I'd try and avoid it. Any surgery, no matter how minimal, carries a myriad of risks.

Granted there's a laparoscopic option (with cameras) which is less invasive, there's always the chance of something going wrong. Recently had someone come in for a routine removal of their gallbladder, and now they have a three abdominal wounds that need constant attention.

Not to mention post-op you're looking at a risk for developing a bowel obstruction. Now these are all lower risk depending on age, but it's still something you want to avoid as much as possible.

I have a coworker who went to a kind of diet/therapist thing that helped her manage her weight properly. She's lost 100lbs in about a year and occasionally still gets to eat the good stuff. Get some support in whatever way you can, I mean we have a a thread dedicated to it!

Zushin

Sorry for the late replies, I actually had forgotten I made this thread.

You've already established that you can lose weight and that your problem is psychological.

Maybe consider a therapist instead.

I actually have tried that and unfortunately it just hasn't stuck for whatever reason :(

If you only weigh around 165kg~ I'd try and avoid it. Any surgery, no matter how minimal, carries a myriad of risks.

Granted there's a laparoscopic option (with cameras) which is less invasive, there's always the chance of something going wrong. Recently had someone come in for a routine removal of their gallbladder, and now they have a three abdominal wounds that need constant attention.

Not to mention post-op you're looking at a risk for developing a bowel obstruction. Now these are all lower risk depending on age, but it's still something you want to avoid as much as possible.

I have a coworker who went to a kind of diet/therapist thing that helped her manage her weight properly. She's lost 100lbs in about a year and occasionally still gets to eat the good stuff. Get some support in whatever way you can, I mean we have a a thread dedicated to it!

The thing I'm weighing up in my head is the risk of surgery vs the risk of obesity. I'm 24 at the moment, but my family has a history of diabetes and I really don't want that (obviously lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom