• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

IHaveIce

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLP0IGRMQ_Q

Good quality Exile multiplayer. Includes suicide via personal ordinance.
Good to see the Banshee is hard to fly.

Jesus, this thread went to shit last night. Some people will defend just about anything.

Customization options removed? "Yeah, it's their visions, man."
AAs all look the same? "Well, they're Forerunner so you can't do anything else with them."

Drop your balls, HaloGAF.

Yeah it is the same about some of the guys who are complaining, some people will complain about everything.

Of course it sucks to have options like whole Gametypes, Flag dropping etc removed, but Sprint? come on man, I get that some don't like Sprint, but who clearly believed it would have been able to be turned off was really confused.
The armor abilites is really very weird, I mean ok from a fictional standpoint it makes sense, but for multiplayer it is just rubbish.

I think we can keep on complain about forge and theater, because here everyone expected some kinds of big improvements

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Come to think of it, I remember someone from 343 mentioning that players without a hard drive would need a flash drive. Maybe there is some way to install multiplayer that isn't installing a disk to the hard drive.

USB memory sticks at 16 gb can be had for like $10-$15 these days

Catch is you have to format it for Xbox 360 use only which isn't a big deal

Ryaaan14

Banned
Exactly. Disc 2 is not playable, it only starts an install, but the install is not required to play Campaign, only Infinity.

360 Arcade users are fucked then since MP is apparently that 8GB requirement that was going around. Yikes.

lol literally everyone thought it was because of SpOps.

The more likely non-smartass answer to that would be the same reason why dual-wielding couldn't be toggled. It's a core mechanic for the game, it's not a variable anymore. Maps and gameplay were built around Sprint this time around just as the dual-wieldable weapons were nerfed to shit in Halo 2.

So shitty programming is more likely? Yea no, laziness is more likely.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Not only is it not a big deal, but it's automated. Still a huge pain in the ass though for people who use their 360 as Halo machines. Not enough USB ports to support charge & play, wired headset, and flash drives at once.

Redford

aka Cabbie

If anyone knows, what would the best read/write speeds be? I'm in this boat and my 360 has turned it's nose up at a few of mine in the past.

BravoHalo

ogii1.jpg

this pretty much sums it up.

the GAFmanwich courtesy of @alisonst

Just noticed there's no killcam or instaspawn in that video, it has the classic 5 seconds wait while staring at body plus boop boop boop beep.

The match was in theater, you can see the menu at the end of the video:

Can you install games to a flash drive? I know you can't use theater or browse forge maps with one.

So any new word on any alternate control schemes being added?
I really hope that is a possibility.

A scheme with AA and Sprint on the shoulder buttons needs to be in the game.
I wish I could see the outcome of all of HaloGAF locked in a studio for 3 years and forced to make a Halo game.
It would never get out of pre-production meetings. It would just be a constant whiskey infused fight of what people wanted to do with the game.
So, have the playlists for MP been announced? And what about map voting, how is that going to work this time?
The playlists, at least this is what they are right now.
Embrace the infinity, it's so fun.
So basically disc 2 isn't playable. It's like a Forza disc.
Frank actually used Forza as an example for how it worked. It also looked from a screen out in the wild that you can actually download the second disc content from Xbox Live as well.
ogii1.jpg

this pretty much sums it up.

the GAFmanwich courtesy of @alisonst
This is...uh..very sexual

You're probably right. Laziness brought us a lot actually, the broken CE pistol, the H2 button combos, and the Halo 3 ranking system.

wtf does that have to do with anything?

you seriously think they CANT add a sprint toggle? like thats beyond programming capabilities?

They absolutely could. They just DIDNT.

lol, you can't honestly believe that.

I honestly believe they could have added the option but didn't. Yes I do.

Ryaaan14

Banned
wtf does that have to do with anything?

you seriously think they CANT add a sprint toggle? like thats beyond programming capabilities?

They absolutely could. They just DIDNT.

Let me restate my first response.

The more likely non-smartass answer to that would be the same reason why dual-wielding couldn't be toggled. It's a core mechanic for the game, it's not a variable anymore. Maps and gameplay were built around Sprint this time around just as the dual-wieldable weapons were nerfed to shit in Halo 2.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Anyone else hate the sound of the DMR? It feels like they cheapened it by simply making it louder.

It's completely missing the echo of the Reach DMR.

Just listen. You can seriously hear the air in between shots with the Reach DMR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX_GruYTaJk&t=3s

but not so with the H4 DMR http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a5TyN2PvzfA&t=2m41s

All I hear is the sound of a thousand failures. :p Most of the new gun sounds are edging on too close to real-life rifles but they sound pretty good overall.

Magnum is inexplicable though..

Frank actually used Forza as an example for how it worked. It also looked from a screen out in the wild that you can actually download the second disc content from Xbox Live as well.

Yeah, disc 2 is 100% definitely not playable. Same as Forza 4. There is an option to download disc 2's contents from Xbox Live if it is not already installed.

Let me restate my first response.

If more people took the time to think about things after they read them, then there wouldn't be an endless shit storm in here over effectively nothing - on a stupidly constant basis.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Not only is it not a big deal, but it's automated. Still a huge pain in the ass though for people who use their 360 as Halo machines. Not enough USB ports to support charge & play, wired headset, and flash drives at once.

?
Two in the front, two in the back

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm very curious if the texture pop issues with the floor demos had anything to do with the 2nd MP disc needing to be installed. Maybe the early builds were forced to disc stream and couldn't handle the buffering or something.

?
Two in the front, two in the back

I'm gonna pretend I knew about that one in the back...

feel

Embrace the infinity, it's so fun.
We'll see once it's out there being played by a million assholes in matchmaking. Seems like an unpleasant power weapon fest, plus jetpacks, camo, xray vision, etc. But I really want to like it, will definitely not be steering away from it when I get the game.

Exactly. Disc 2 is not playable, it only starts an install, but the install is not required to play Campaign, only Infinity.
Yeah, disc 2 is 100% definitely not playable. Same as Forza 4. There is an option to download disc 2's contents from Xbox Live if it is not already installed.
Aaww. Do you have a source for this info?

We'll see once it's out there being played by a million assholes in matchmaking. Seems like an unpleasant power weapon fest, plus jetpacks, camo, xray vision, etc. But I really want to like it, will definitely not be steering away from it when I get the game.

Well your jetpacks, camo, xray vision, and shit are in everything, not just infinity.

The thing about personal ordnance is that people get usually one, maybe 2 drops a game, and from my experience with the game, global ordnance dropped significantly less power weapons onto the map than in some maps in previous Halo games.

Even if and when there are quite a few power weapons in rotation, the starting rifles are so strong that they always dominate the majority of the combat.

You're right of course that things can change once the general pop has their dirty hands on the game, but I saw no easily apparently flaws/crying for abuse.

feel

Well your jetpacks, camo, xray vision, and shit are in everything, not just infinity.

The thing about personal ordnance is that people get usually one, maybe 2 drops a game, and from my experience with the game, global ordnance dropped significantly less power weapons onto the map than in some maps in previous Halo games.

Even if and when there are quite a few power weapons in rotation, the starting rifles are so strong that they always dominate the majority of the combat.

You're right of course that things can change once the general pop has their dirty hands on the game, but I saw no easily apparently flaws/crying for abuse.
Cool.

BTW there's no AAs in the Slayer Pro playlist according to that lead designer video.

Ryaaan14

Banned
With complete respect, and I mean that, I really wonder what Halo would currently look like if not for this man.

txN2wl.jpg

I have a very difficult time believing 343 would have taken that route had it not been to keep every last fan, like those who played Reach as their first Halo game...

And this isn't a rhetorical question to pass blame. I literally wonder what would have been the next phase of Halo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLP0IGRMQ_Q

Good quality Exile multiplayer. Includes suicide via personal ordinance.

Good stuff lol

iAdD6tvDyZjVM.gif

I'm very curious if the texture pop issues with the floor demos had anything to do with the 2nd MP disc needing to be installed. Maybe the early builds were forced to disc stream and couldn't handle the buffering or something.

Installing will help with the pop-in, but not eliminate it. The limitations of the hardware rely heavily on streaming, so there will always be evidence of it. Next-gen consoles shouldn't have this problem.

Sordid

I'm still super hyped to get Halo 4 (and say good riddance to Reach) but a few of 343's decision are pretty baffling. No forge colours and a lack of custom options make me a sad panda.

If anyone is interested I have some green Halo 4 Warrior avatar armour, a Steam key for Just Cause 2 and a Steam key for Supreme Commander 2 going spare. PM me if you want any of them and I'll give them away when I get home from work :)

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm still super hyped to get Halo 4 (and say good riddance to Reach) but a few of 343's decision are pretty baffling. No forge colours and a lack of custom options make me a sad panda.

I'm not baffled by Forge colors at all, but certainly am surprised by the lack of custom options as far as gametypes go. This is the first time a Halo game has ever made it so you flat-out can't play a traditional gametype even with custom options.

Sai-kun

Banned
Good stuff lol

iAdD6tvDyZjVM.gif

Installing will help with the pop-in, but not eliminate it. The limitations of the hardware rely heavily on streaming, so there will always be evidence of it. Next-gen consoles shouldn't have this problem.

I'm so glad this works now. I tried so hard to do it at PAX and it just didn't happen. Most that happened was that it would pop my shields!

zap

I'm sure 343 would want to add a lot more things, but can't due to the deadlines set. If they wanted to make the perfect Halo game, it would never come out!

Also, can you call down personal ordnance indoors? I assume you can, but...where does it come from?

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm sure 343 would want to add a lot more things, but can't due to the deadlines set. If they wanted to make the perfect Halo game, it would never come out!

Also, can you call down personal ordnance indoors? I assume you can, but...where does it come from?

It materializes inside.

There are so many simple things that should have been in this game but are not.

-Dedicated servers
-Spectator mode
-forge color
-diverse custom gametypes
-REAL EFFIN RANKS
-Good launch playlists
-flags not dripping with glue
RUbxH.gif

When it comes down to the base gameplay/gunplay the game looks really solid, but the tools built around the gameplay are disappointing.

Ryaaan14

Banned

-Dedicated servers
-Spectator mode
-forge color
-REAL EFFIN RANKS
-Good launch playlists

When it comes down to the base gameplay/gunplay the game looks really solid, but the tools built around the gameplay are disappointing.

I am not going to agree or disagree with any of your bulletpoints, and honestly I was going to keep my trap shut about all this angst, but I am pretty damn shocked and offended you guys won't give them the benefit of the doubt after spending years building the game and we're merely observing the game for 5 months.

This is the first time there's been such negativity on here from a Halo game pre-release, and I can't help but think 90% of this rage comes from people's lack of satisfaction from Halo Reach. We're coming off the heels of a popularly less-than-satisfactory Halo game, pretty much for the first time ever. But a lot of you are really being borderline disrespectful even if you're keeping your basic manners in check.

I will say though, a few people are making great arguments towards fundamental decisions, and thank god there are at least a few of those people.

Elros

Here is what I have collected for rank progression (the second column is the XP required after achieving the previous rank) :

uG2kWXeGSz.png

Is anybody able to find a pattern, or is this thing as "random" as Reach's is ?

Kibbles

Just noticed there's no killcam or instaspawn in that video, it has the classic 5 seconds wait while staring at body plus boop boop boop beep.

Loved it when the ordnance dropped on him and committed suicide haha.

And when he dropped the overshield and ran guns blazing at people, was no shield and picked up the overshield at the last second to finish them off. >_<

I am not going to agree or disagree with any of your bulletpoints, and honestly I was going to keep my trap shut about all this angst, but I am pretty damn shocked and offended you guys won't give them the benefit of the doubt after spending years building the game and we're merely observing the game for 5 months.

This is the first time there's been such negativity on here from a Halo game pre-release, and I can't help but think 90% of this rage comes from people's lack of satisfaction from Halo Reach. We're coming off the heals of a popularly less-than-satisfactory Halo game, pretty much for the first time ever. But a lot of you are really being borderline disrespectful even if you're keeping your basic manners in check.

I will say though, a few people are making great arguments towards fundamental decisions, and thank god there are at least a few of those people.

I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative. The game looks really good and I look forward to playing but I've just been disappointed/frustrated that things that have been begged for countless times by masses aren't in the game while we were told to trust them when asked.

Omni

-Dedicated servers
-Spectator mode
-forge color
-REAL EFFIN RANKS
-Good launch playlists
RUbxH.gif

Dedicated servers, Forge colours and spectator mode aren't "simple" to implement. Can almost guarantee the playlists will be altered later on and the flag thingy isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

Top Bottom