• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Will believe it when I see it, I just hope if it does exist it doesn't lead to rampant piracy of Vita titles, and thus Sony has to take some drastic measure to stop it. Or is piracy of Vita titles possible because of the proprietary cards and downloads from the store being the only way of getting games?

Truth be told I am not a fan of homebrew and such simply because it typically leads to piracy, but I can't ignore the sales implications of a "hack" like this. Strangely enough it would move units. It's just a matter of if those units would actually be people who will buy content.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No, you are supposed to crack the one that actually has region locking first! Seriously though, weird that Vita was cracked before 3DS.

The Wii and DS got cracked wide the fuck open, and Nintendo got pissed and LOCKED THEIR SHIT THE FUCK DOWN.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Vita resurrected. Software isn't selling on the thing to begin with. How can piracy destroy what wasn't there. This will move units if the homebrew/emulation is there. That OLED screen and buttons? Imagine.

Oh this is great for the homebrew possibilities, but terrible for getting developers to make actual games for it.

Sony's system uses its own memory cards to stop hacking.

Nintendo's system uses SD Cards and they still ain't hacked when they released a year earlier.

I just find that funny lol.

I don't hack my systems but to whoever does, hope yall enjoy doing...whatever yall do when you hack your systems. The stuff that I've seen being done with hacked systems is pretty cool, I should get around to doing it with a extra system or something...

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
hehehehehehehehhheheheheheheh
PSVITA RISE.

Derrick01

Banned
Vita resurrected. Software isn't selling on the thing to begin with. How can piracy destroy what wasn't there. This will move units if the homebrew/emulation is there. That OLED screen and buttons? Imagine.

Piracy will crush what little chance there is left of third parties putting games out, just look at the PSP for your example. I'd rather have new games than the ability to run some crap 12 year old game on an emulator.

I'm buying one if they make a decent DS emulator. Apollo on dat OLED is going to look great. Poor Vita software though, piracy is going to kill it before Sony does.

Alebrije

Maybe Sony did it...auto hacked...

DR2K

Banned
Wow before the 3DS. Amazing.

I might reconsider getting a Vita if I could play back ups, make a better UI, and maybe some DS, N64, DC and maybe PS2 emulation.

Omikaru

Hopefully this doesn't lead to piracy, but if this is real then that ship has sailed. :(

I'd have preferred it if hackers focussed on the 3DS, because that has a reason why I'd want to bust it open: to circumvent that fucking region lock. On the flip side, I really have no desire to hack/exploit/CFW my Vita. Homebrew isn't really my thing.

Kokonoe

Banned
There isn't much reason to hack a 3DS for homebrew as the PSP is good enough. Vita actually is a drastic improvement in hardware, so it makes more sense to target that first. It also has a better screen for homebrew.

Cool, if this will let me play my UMD rips that aren't available on PSN I'm happy. On the other hand, I don't want the Vita to die just because it has potential to allow piracy and give awesome hardware sales but kill software sales.

TheExodu5

Banned
Awesome news. Here's hoping for good SNES and PSX emulation.

This would make a fantastic portable emulation device.

C'mooooon PS2 Emulator. PS2 emulator and I'll buy the damn thing.

Given how high range PCs have trouble doing that though, I'll remain sceptical

I think that because of legacy of PSP homebrew scene and Vita being a lot more suitable device for homebrew than 3DS (being more powerful) there is more talented crackers trying to crack the device.

also hackers and sony aren't on the friendliest term.

But I guess nintendo SWAT team also hit a lot of flashcard makers before.

This is fantastic news.

It's a user mode hack. Which means people can't use it to pirate Vita games.

But they can use it to run homebrew, emulators of the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, AMIGA, MAME and such, at full speed.

hachi

Banned
I would expect that ease of use will be the decisive factor in terms of impact. If they release a utility as simple as, for instance, Bannerbomb was on the Wii, I could see dangerous times ahead for publisher reactions and fear of piracy. If it remains a hassle and bricking your expensive toy is a danger, it should only reach niche enthusiasts.

yesjacknicholson.gif

- J - D -

I can almost hear the hearts of everyone in the industry's software development side break. A tiny, barely audible snap. Followed by weeping.

ronito

I didn't buy a psp until cfw, after that I bought two. Maybe I will get a vita after all but ill believe it when I see it

Of course all I used my psps for was to play PDX games and snes games don't think Sony made much money off me outside of the hardware

hachi

Banned
There isn't much reason to hack a 3DS for homebrew as the PSP is good enough. Vita actually is a drastic improvement in hardware, so it makes more sense to target that first. It also has a better screen for homebrew.

Virtual Boy emulator.

Luigiv

Why are people obsessed with doing this with Sony products? Its not like the pretence that games consoles are the best tech hold up any more; and with a wide range of PC's/Tablets/Phones it all seem like a massive waste of time.

Bit sad really.

Sony Products? People do this with every product from every manufacturer.

LeleSocho

Banned
I just got an erection thinking about the emulation possibilities.

Who cares about pirated games it's all about emulation

I'm torn on what it would mean, but I think we are jumping the gun here. Lets see the hack actually working before we start declaring things alive and dead at the same time.

The idea of this being a really cheap, portable, emulation device is very exciting.

I hope the emulators on it work great and then the Vita just needs to die quickly so the prices crash.

It's really sad it's such an unappealing console that the emulation aspect is what gets my attention.

Top Bottom