• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Batzi

Banned
Went back and re-watched some old trailers, the one with the song Not Your Kind of People is so damn good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Bu1lDD2So

One of the best trailers in recent memory, and, just like with TMWSTW,
Not Your Kind of People's lyrics take a whole new meaning after finishing the game:

"You seem kind of phoney. Everything's a lie"

"You dropped by as I was sleeping.
You came to see the whole commotion.
And when I woke I started laughing.
The jokes on me for not believing."

"We are not your kind of people.
Speak a different language.
We see through your lies.
We are not your kind of people.
Won't be cast as demons,
Creatures you despise."

Love this.

This and "The Man who sold the world" are priceless!
They literally tell you the story of TPP from start to end.

malfcn

A new base of operations.

Also, I did a fob mission. Some how I got fultoned out, by the defense team? I was behind a wall and fit hit by smoke and next thing I saw was me going out a worm hole. No real player defender.

BadWolf

This and "The Man who sold the world" are priceless!
They literally tell you the story of TPP from start to end.

Yeah, MGSV is easily one of the best examples of using existing songs in a meaningful way. Gives me chills.

You should probably spoiler tag that though :p

Of course SCEE fucked up again with dlc ._.

On PSN Store PS3 version has all the new costumes dlc meanwhile PS4 is missing EVA and Naked Snake costume.

The only two I really want fml.

Batzi

Banned
Yeah, MGSV is easily one of the best examples of using existing songs in a meaningful way. Gives me chills.

Spoiler tag? It is no secret. Kojima asked us to look into the lyrics when GDC trailer came out. I looked into the lyrics back in the days and Yong analyzed it and we weren't even close to what Kojima was trying to tell us. We simply disregarded that story plot because it is INSANE!!! You see this Kojima? INSANE! But I love you and I love the story you have given us! Still in shock though!

wiibomb

I need to go back and analyze this and Sins of the Father since Kojima said that is also an spoiler for the game

BadWolf

Spoiler tag? It is no secret. Kojima asked us to look into the lyrics when GDC trailer came out. I looked into the lyrics back in the days and Yong analyzed it and we weren't even close to what Kojima was trying to tell us. We simply disregarded that story plot because it is INSANE!!! You see this Kojima? INSANE! But I love you and I love the story you have given us! Still in shock though!

That is the best part of MGS :)

I need to go back and analyze this and Sins of the Father since Kojima said that is also an spoiler for the game

Looked up the lyrics and yeah you're right, some excerpts:

Far in the distance
There is light, a light that burns these scars of old
All this pain, reminds me of what I am
I'll live, I'll become all I need to be

Pride feeds their blackened hearts.
And the thirst must be quenched to fuel hypocrisy
Cleansing flames is the only way to repent
Renounce what made you

Words that kill
Would you speak them to me?
With your breath so still,
It makes me believe

The Sins never die.
Can't wash this blood off our hands
Let the world fear us all
It's just means to an end
Our salvation lies in the Father’s sins.
Beyond the truth, (Let me suffer now)
In my heart I just know that there's no way to light up the dark in his eyes.

wiibomb

Looked up the lyrics and yeah you're right, some excerpts:

not only those:
Words that kill, would you speak them to me
With your breath so still, it makes me believe
In the Father's sins
Let me suffer now and never die, I'm alive

initially before playing the game I though this song was referring to
David and Eli, the natural sons of BB
, but now I see it was all foreshadowing
The Medic and Venom Snake as a kind of artificial son of BB

amazing.. I'm loving all these bits

BadWolf

not only those:
Words that kill, would you speak them to me
With your breath so still, it makes me believe
In the Father's sins
Let me suffer now and never die, I'm alive

initially before playing the game I though this song was referring to
David and Eli, the natural sons of BB
, but now I see it was all foreshadowing
The Medic and Venom Snake as a kind of artificial son of BB

amazing.. I'm loving all these bits

"Let me suffer now and never die, I'm alive"

Oh man, when you considered how
Venom's life ended and BB screwed him over in the end...
:(

wiibomb

"Let me suffer now and never die, I'm alive"

Oh man, when you considered how
Venom's life ended and BB screwed him over in the end
:(

this:
All this pain, reminds me of what I am
I'll live, I'll become all I need to be

with the very last scene of
Venom crushing the mirror... I still think BB never intended for Venom to follow his orders, but more to assume his persona and do whatever he wanted with the BB name carrying his meme, Venom IS Venom, a second BB, not a tool

I think I might have done this by accident, where's the LZ supposed to be?

I believe the chopper defaults to the landing site you start in, its a much longer run.

How? There are two LZ which you can pick and choose and from either one you will get attacked by
Skulls or regular enemies depending on if you killed them or not earlier.

Well actually
The first time I replayed this mission, I set the landing pad to the one behind the mansion and wasn't attacked at all, except for the zombie enemies that lunged at me. Though the 2nd time I replayed it, I almost got spotted by a skull sniper so I dont know. All I know is its much easier to set the landing pad behind the mansion rather than run through the forest again.

BadWolf

this:
with the very last scene of
Venom crushing the mirror... I still think BB never intended for Venom to follow his orders, but more to assume his persona and do whatever he wanted with the BB name carrying his meme, Venom IS Venom, a second BB, not a tool

I see what you meant but imo the very reason BB let him in on the ruse was because he thought he could make use of Venom, notice how he told Venom the truth only after Diamond Dogs became a success and Skull Face was taken down. Before that Venom was just a meat shield for him, like those people in the hospital.

My overall thoughts on the ending after the second playthrough: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181891046&postcount=19880

myco666

I believe the chopper defaults to the landing site you start in, its a much longer run.

Well actually
The first time I replayed this mission, I set the landing pad to the one behind the mansion and wasn't attacked at all, except for the zombie enemies that lunged at me. Though the 2nd time I replayed it, I almost got spotted by a skull sniper so I dont know. All I know is its much easier to set the landing pad behind the mansion rather than run through the forest again.

There are snipers one both LZ routes. I also find the behind the mansion LZ easier compared to the forest. I remember you having to call the chopper anyway and choose from the two and that it wouldn't default to either one. Might be wrong though as I always call it myself.

wiibomb

I see what you meant but imo the very reason BB let him in on the ruse was because he thought he could make use of Venom, notice how he told Venom the truth only after Diamond Dogs became a success and Skull Face was taken down. Before that Venom was just a meat shield for him, like those people in the hospital.

My overall thoughts on the ending after the second playthrough: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181891046&postcount=19880

this is one of the many things I love from MGSV, you can approach the game by many angles not only in its gameplay, but also in its story, I see what you say, but I also see what other say and what I by myself got as a conclusion, and since the game got open in these regards it is still possible to all things to happen.

may be that is why people got mad at this game, because unlike the other games, this one does not want to solve all plots and doesn't want to give all the answers, it likes to leave you to get some conclusions by yourself

BadWolf

^I really want to listen to that but am stuck at work lol.

this is one of the many things I love from MGSV, you can approach the game by many angles not only in its gameplay, but also in its story, I see what you say, but I also see what other say and what I by myself got as a conclusion, and since the game got open in these regards it is still possible to all things to happen.

may be that is why people got mad at this game, because unlike the other games, this one does not want to solve all plots and doesn't want to give all the answers, it likes to leave you to get some conclusions by yourself

You are spot on there, that is why I find the story, and especially the ending, to be brilliant.

MGS3 is well loved but at the end of the day it's pretty straight forward, most discussions about it end after people say how much they love it.

With MGSV, Kojima went back to some of that MGS2-ness of leaving things open enough for discussion and speculation. Which is perfect for the last entry in the series imo. There's just so much to think about, even down to the friggin songs.

Lender

is it possible to see S+ soldiers in the world?

Yes, seen them multiple times already.

Is it possible to upgrade my heaviest sniper rifle with a grade 2/3 suppressor. I have the grade 1 now, but I would like to know if it's possible to upgrade it.

wiibomb

Yes, seen them multiple times already.

Is it possible to upgrade my heaviest sniper rifle with a grade 2/3 suppressor. I have the grade 1 now, but I would like to know if it's possible to upgrade it.

3 is infinite and that one is limited to a gun made with that exact property, but I have my tranq sniper rifle with a grade 2 suppressor since the longest time..

you just need to develop a weapon with that grade 2 suppressor and the equip it to the tranq sniper rifle through the customization menu

Senoculum

Just found out that if you press back on the analogue and the X button, you can switch sides on the helicopter whenever you're touching down on a mission.

This game keeps surprising me with hidden programming!

wiibomb

Just found out that if you press back on the analogue and the X button, you can switch sides on the helicopter whenever you're touching down on a mission.

This game keeps surprising me with hidden programming!

you can do that every time you are sit in the side of the helicopter, works wonders when you have to blast anyone on any side of the helicopter with the machine gun

Knocking the dust off and picking up where I left off a few weeks ago, Mission 22 apparently.

Just did the whole FOB thing as a main mission and then got interrupted for more tutorializing while trying to leave on a real mission. What a horrible fucking thing this is. I just dived off a rail to kill myself so I can get on with the game.

Let's see if I can make it to the end this time!

NastyBook

Fuck the haters, this game is G-Cup breasts with dinner plate areolas. Just got the second FOB unlocked, so it's time to start spending this money I've been hoarding. Wish they had more 80s songs for Pequod to come in with.

So
Code Talker Extreme
... How do I defeat the
snipers
without pulling my hair out?

Smoke Fakel + Brennan/Serval sniper rifle. Use the fakel to make a smoke screen and snipe them out. Use D.D to find their positions. They will pretty much OHKO you so try to stay behind a cover as well and get Battle dress.

Keep saving for an FOB?

still working on developing the first FOB, but that hasn't really been priority for me. right now i'm working on S-ranking and mission tasks while my nuke is developing. i'll probably platinum the game before the first FOB is fully developed. i like the idea of FOB invasions (shitty greedy konami practices aside), but i really don't care for the level design of MB for this shit. feels too claustrophobic and counter to the open design of the gameplay

RangerBAD

Also, how does setting animal traps work? Does going to ACC cancel them out? Another question I have is do you have to get all the mission tasks for alternative difficulty missions too for the trophy?

Ashura_MX

Also, how does setting animal traps work? Does going to ACC cancel them out? Another question I have is do you have to get all the mission tasks for alternative difficulty missions too for the trophy?
Probably (tasks)
As for traps I place them to cap and do a sideop then acc after checkpoint, works all the time

Golnei

Heh, you really thought Konami would pass on an oppertunity to steal some additional money from your wallet?

I mean, it could be worse. It wouldn't be that unthinkable if the game had met a March release date, but with several showstopping bugs and Chapter 2 coming later, entirely as DLC - with no information given about it before release other than the misleading ingame trailer. In this scenario, the Parasite Suit, Sniper Wolf outfit, GZ suit, PS1 costumes, Raiden, Water Pistol, Paz subplot, rematch with Eli, Child and Wormhole Fultons, Hideo Kojima, female soldiers, Golden Arm, additional cassette tapes and Grey XOF outfit would also be their own pieces of paid DLC, with the Episode 51 video also a separate purchase.

Ashura_MX

I mean, it could be worse. It wouldn't be that unthinkable if the game had met a March release date, but with several showstopping bugs and Chapter 2 coming later, entirely as DLC - with no information given about it before release other than the misleading ingame trailer. In this scenario, the Parasite Suit, Sniper Wolf outfit, GZ suit, PS1 costumes, Raiden, Water Pistol, Paz subplot, rematch with Eli, Child and Wormhole Fultons, Hideo Kojima, female soldiers, Golden Arm, additional cassette tapes and Grey XOF outfit would also be their own pieces of paid DLC, with the Episode 51 video also a separate purchase.

None of that besides bugs, wormhole and female soldiers is essential to my MGS experience, or hell, even my list is non essential. Only mgs4 has female soldiers anyway.

bobawesome

Heh, you really thought Konami would pass on an oppertunity to steal some additional money from your wallet?

Well, there were people in the MGS subreddit and even threads on here talking about how you could use MB coins to purchase the outfits. Looks like that was just speculation.

Top Bottom