• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Metal Gear Solid series rankings (Voting ends Feb. 20)

paskowitz

1. MGS3 (Assuming we can include subsistence this was the perfect MGS game)
2. MGS1 (A truly amazing game for its time. It is was got so many hooked on the series)
3. MGS4 (Controversial in its reception. Its highs were high and its lows were low. However, in the end I loved it)

How people consider MGS2 is beyond me.

Sky Chief

I played MGS1 then MGS2. I have always bought and played the vanilla version btw (no VR mission/substance/subsistence/HD pack, e.t.c.)

The biggest problem most kids have was no more sorridu snake. Once you get past that - MGS2 is a brilliant game that greatly expands the MGS lore. Also, Raiden is a great character once you get past how he looks.

I feel that MGS2 also has aged better than all the other games (yes even MGS4). MGS1 feels a bit clunky and dated, MGS3 is clunky as fuck (again vanilla MGS3 had the worst mechanics of the series, haven't played subsistence) and then you have the much refined MGS4 with the shitty story.

I agree with all the above and also think that in MGS2 NOT playing as Snake and observing him instead also helps to make him seem like more of a badass.

I played all games in order of release and think MGS2 was the best.

ScOULaris

Yea, he planted a tracking device on the Ray.

Ah, damnit. Beat me to it.

How he managed to break free of the cuffs, sprint toward Ray, dive head-first off of Arsenal, whip out a tracking device that he had hidden in his ass or something, and stick it to Ray before it jetted off into the sea is beyond me. That's just how badass he is, though. Raiden, meanwhile, just sat there whimpering like a helpless, handcuffed J-Pop manchild.

I guess we're also supposed to believe that Snake then swam all the way to Manhattan in time to give Raiden a new outlook on life at the end.

ultron87

How he managed to break free of the cuffs, sprint toward Ray, dive head-first off of Arsenal, whip out a tracking device that he had hidden in his ass or something, and stick it to Ray before it jetted off into the sea is beyond me. That's just how badass he is, though. Raiden, meanwhile, just sat there whimpering like a helpless, handcuffed J-Pop manchild.

I guess we're also supposed to believe that Snake then swam all the way to Manhattan in time to give Raiden a new outlook on life at the end.

:lol

It actually makes the things he does in Twin Snakes seem reasonable.

Man, I love MGS2.

Imm0rt4l

Like a
Big
Boss.

Special J

Banned
3 will win, I can't be mad it's a lot of fun, but the game is feels more like Bond and Rambo meets Snake.

lol ya. hell 3 doesnt even have SOLID SNAKE in the game (game is called metal gear SOLID), nor ninja, nor any of the fantastic fourth wall breaking stuff, humor, or interesting puzzles. mgs3 is still good but doesnt compare to mgs1.

ScOULaris

It actually makes the things he does in Twin Snakes seem reasonable.

Hey, now. I wouldn't go that far.

1247731508415097j.gif

SOME-MIST

1. MGS
2. MGS2
3. MGS3
I really preferred the boss fights and dialogue in the first game moreso than any other installment in the franchise. The Sniper Wolf fight + end dialogue is among my favorite in the series.
after 3 it would go MGS4 > MGS:pW > MGS:pO

Ridley327

lol ya. hell 3 doesnt even have SOLID SNAKE in the game (game is called metal gear SOLID), nor ninja, nor any of the fantastic fourth wall breaking stuff, humor, or interesting puzzles. mgs3 is still good but doesnt compare to mgs1.

The Sorrow's entire character is basically one giant cannon being aimed at the fourth wall.

Sky Chief

1. MGS
2. MGS2
3. MGS3
I really preferred the boss fights and dialogue in the first game moreso than any other installment in the franchise. The Sniper Wolf fight + end dialogue is among my favorite in the series.
after 3 it would go MGS4 > MGS:pW > MGS:pO

The thing I always remember about MGS are the codec conversations, some of those are amazing.

Ra1den

Why though?

Not being facetious just genuinely curious

I felt the missions were a lot more fun in PO. PO was a blast thanks to great level design and fun missions, PW on the other hand didn't grab me the same way. I also preferred the more traditional boss battles of PO over the ones in PW.

Not to say I didn't like PW of course, I put in 100 hours and cleared everything, and had tons of fun with the co-op. And while I didn't find it as fun as PO, the game design made sense because of the plot and scenario, so I'm fine with it.

iMNz4Nrn0o2Ew.gif

I remember the first time playing this section and being blown away by the blood, seeing it gush as you sliced the enemy with Raiden's sword.

Imm0rt4l

My problem with mgs3 is everything has taken a more fantastical approach, it seems they really wanted to make the legend of big boss by making his fights against seemingly supernatural enemies, though they weren't that far from being characters you'd expect in MGS lore, I feel this in turn transferred to the beauty and the beast bullshit in mgs4 who were even more uninteresting than MGS3's boss characters. Don't get me wrong though MGS3 had the best boss fights, the characters were just kinda uninteresting save a few of em. The bosses set a bad precedent in terms of storytelling.

chara_pain_pic.gif

When the leaked documents for mgs3 was released and this guy appeared in it, a man who controls hornets. I called fake. So stupid.

Ridley327

Also, and I don't know why people still harp on about this, but the reason why it's called Metal Gear SOLID is because it's in 3D, not because it's about Solid Snake.

MGS3
MGS1
MGS4
MGS2

I have MGS PW for PSP lying somewhere but I could never get into it because of PSP's single stick. The controls were terrible to me. I'm glad the MGS collection will fix that <3

1. MGS2; Probably a top 5 of all-time for me. Proof of what Kojima can do when he disregards everything the fans of a series want and just does his crazy own thing. Absolute brilliance from top to bottom, I don't think I'd change a single thing about it.
2. MGS3
3. MGS1

---

Kill it with fire: MGS4. The complete opposite of 2. The worst game I've ever played. It DESTROYED my love for the franchise, something I didn't think possible. Awful story, ugly graphics, terrible loading, shit bosses, only two proper chapters, it feels too segmented, the plane sections are terrible, and OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT ENDING. I hate Kojima so much for it. Cunt.

Haven't played the handheld ones.

It's kinda crazy that one series has a game I love to death (2) and one I hate with passion (4).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
1. MGS3
2. MGS1
3. MGS2
4. MGS Peace Walker
5. MGS4
6. MGS Portable Ops

MDSLKTR

1. MGS2
2. MGS1
3. MGS4

As good as mgs3 was, it's the only mgs I finished only twice (compared to my 20+ playtroughs of mgs2). Maybe it was the fact that it wasn't 60fps? Or that it started turning into a manga from this point? MGS2 is a timeless masterpiece, fuck the fanbase for turning a ballsy developer into a fanservice whore. I don't think I will ever like a mgs again because of the direction the franchise has taken now :(

squadr0n

1. MGS3 Best of the series, had everything
2.MGS1 Best Story
3.MGS4 Best Gameplay, Why was each chapter so short? Had so much potential!

Hoping that MGS5 will just be a huge sandbox!

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (MGS4)
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (MGS3)
  3. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (MGS2)

Top Bottom