• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

dickroach

how is the Charge OP and how can I exploit it?
just finished Inkwell Isle 2. most of the levels only took me a handful of tries, but I died like 40 times on the last form of that dragon boss -___-

Seyfert

i am LTTP but this is one of the first game lately that i can play without doing any homework before it to get more enjoyment. This reminds me how game used to be work , simple but fun just pick and play.

Finished the game last night, it was dope and hell of a ride. One of my favourite game this year. it deserves to be a series from now on, would love to see it on comic/TV show too.

Was stuck at Robot, Dragon, King Dice , Train and Devil most of the time.

King Dice after just figure out i can just run all the way to the side to avoid all cards it is much easier to deal with. Same as snake pattern on Devil.

jholmes

just finished Inkwell Isle 2. most of the levels only took me a handful of tries, but I died like 40 times on the last form of that dragon boss -___-

Seems like the charge is pretty OP on the Bluto pirate boss, who is playable off the hop in Isle 3. Maybe give him a shot.

I'm told it's also OP against the bee but it didn't help me any there.

BiggNife

The charge is OP because it has a very high damage output for its rate of fire. There isn't really a way to exploit it, it just kills enemies faster than other weapons do.

Like jholmes said, the pirate is definitely the easiest boss to kill with the charge shot because you barely have to aim.

dickroach

so it's not really OP, just pretty P
and yeah, it made quick work of the pirate guy

just got the achievement for collection all the coins in all of the levels, so I guess I'm done with the run & guns :( those were fun. the one on the docks or whatever was a real pain in the ass though.

I like how when I go to the menu, and check the list, I see I've beat about 20 levels, and it says they all took me 1-3 minutes... but I've been playing this game for 5 hours.

Finally!

I finally beat King Dice!

Now for his boss...

...who's just as hard as I figured! How does one even dodge the
snake attack? I have yet to dodge it without gettin hurt...

so it's not really OP, just pretty P
and yeah, it made quick work of the pirate guy

just got the achievement for collection all the coins in all of the levels, so I guess I'm done with the run & guns :( those were fun. the one on the docks or whatever was a real pain in the ass though.

I like how when I go to the menu, and check the list, I see I've beat about 20 levels, and it says they all took me 1-3 minutes... but I've been playing this game for 5 hours.

It just displays the time of your highest ranking run, iirc

eso76

Finally!

I finally beat King Dice!

Now for his boss...

...who's just as hard as I figured! How does one even dodge the
snake attack? I have yet to dodge it without gettin hurt...

You just run to the opposite side of the screen ? It won't reach there.
But sometimes you get seemingly random damage (at least i haven't figured what causes it) when it retracts, so i instinctively just jump when he does and i'm ok.

Alternatively, duck under one of the creases.

But sometimes you get seemingly random damage (at least i haven't figured what causes it) when it retracts, so i instinctively just jump when he does and i'm ok.

I've tried running, but...

If one of the imps decides to run out at the same time, I can't seem to avoid damage. I'll surely figure it out, I have faith that the devs didn't make damage unavoidable!

tauke

If one of the imps decides to run out at the same time, I can't seem to avoid damage. I'll surely figure it out, I have faith that the devs didn't make damage unavoidable!

I prefer to run into the gap and duck until the head retracts during that attack as you can get damage at the edge of the screen randomly even without any *obvious* imps on the screen.

I prefer to run into the gap and duck until the head retracts during that attack as you can get damage at the edge of the screen randomly even without any *obvious* imps on the screen.

Alright, thanks for the tips! I'm aware that Teeth and the devs are investigating some errant hitboxes on this attack in particular, so...

...worst case scenario I can wait for the patch!

N° 2048

Umm anyone else having that empty feeling once finishing this game?

Same thing that happens with Souls games once I finish them.

That conquering satisfaction feeling...maybe I'll play Bloodborne lol

Suggestions?

dickroach

Suggestions?
Thumper

while it's a totally different genre, it gives that same feeling of a little but of frustration, but a ton of accomplishment when you get passed a stage, with all of your failures making you stronger.

Tizoc

So a few things
1- What are the upgrades I should aim to get?
2- Any tips to beating the blue ball boss early in the game? I keep messing up my timing and am not figuring his pattern pretty well :V

PSqueak

Banned
So a few things
1- What are the upgrades I should aim to get?
2- Any tips to beating the blue ball boss early in the game? I keep messing up my timing and am not figuring his pattern pretty well :V

1.- Smoke Bomb is a really versatile charm that will always be useful and has no downsides, basically the best charm.

2.- just be aware of edges, you need to gauge if he's going to bounce off the wall or land on the very edge.

Plum

God damn I'm not liking the randomness on the dragon boss. If I don't get fucked over by cloud placement in the first phase I get fucked over in the second by those goddamn little fire bastards. Then in the third phase I just immediately get obliterated because I never have enough time to figure out what's happening. It being an auto-scrolling fight is just frustrating.

dickroach

I just thought I got through dice guy's stage... and then I didn't :(

God damn I'm not liking the randomness on the dragon boss. If I don't get fucked over by cloud placement in the first phase I get fucked over in the second by those goddamn little fire bastards. Then in the third phase I just immediately get obliterated because I never have enough time to figure out what's happening. It being an auto-scrolling fight is just frustrating.

I don't think the clouds are random. like you definitely start out with the same set up every single time. the attacks are random though.
the second phase, just try and keep your eyes on the fireballs, and which direction they're facing before they jump. there's enough clouds that you'll land on another one just trying to avoid the attack.
the third phase totally sucks though. try and stay near the bottom when the balls are shooting out and be conscious of when he's about to do the flamethrower move and get to the top real quick.

SMG

I also swear there is a bug where you can take a hit after the snake has started to retract. One of the only quirks and it comes at the very end boss.

Grazzt

I also swear there is a bug where you can take a hit after the snake has started to retract. One of the only quirks and it comes at the very end boss.

I noticed that too, but only when you shoot it when it's retracting. As long as you don't shoot you'll be fine. Watch out those little imps.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
So a few things

You can duck under his punches in the first 2 forms and continue shooting him.

When he flips a coin in his mouth you can parry off the question marks.

dickroach

I think you were just getting hit by one of the little purple devils coming in from the side.

also I love what happens when you chose the other answer when given a choice before that boss.

beat it a little bit ago. great game. I'd been looking forward to it since E3 three years ago when it was announced, and it was one of the main reason I got a XB1. not disappointed at all.

1upsuper

I just learned that
the eight ball boss in the King Dice fight is a reference to Melon Bread. How'd I miss that? Best recurring Treasure boss.

Oakinn

Just beat king dice but encountered a huge glitch that worked in my favor. I had multiple hearts left and he was on the ropes (hit him with the huge super and multiple hits) but this thing happened and made the end of the fight super easy.

i hate that off screen damage, no idea why, not even an minion is coming. i don't see any kind of telegraphed attack to indicate its coming.

can a dev maybe elaborate on this?

Plum

I don't think the clouds are random. like you definitely start out with the same set up every single time. the attacks are random though.
the second phase, just try and keep your eyes on the fireballs, and which direction they're facing before they jump. there's enough clouds that you'll land on another one just trying to avoid the attack.
the third phase totally sucks though. try and stay near the bottom when the balls are shooting out and be conscious of when he's about to do the flamethrower move and get to the top real quick.

Yeah, that third phase is where it gets me. I can go into it with all three hearts and I still get obliterated. I haven't stayed near the bottom, though, so I'll do that when I can work up the nerve to try again.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh no

the Robot

I have to get good at these damn flying sections don't I?

EDIT: I fucking hate that these sections take away my dodge. Its the most frustrating part of this game, hands down. Let me evade things

Oh no

the Robot

EDIT: I fucking hate that these sections take away my dodge. Its the most frustrating part of this game, hands down. Let me evade things

50 deaths later you will get it!

don't expect to beat this game in three days is what i figured out lol

Teeth

i hate that off screen damage, no idea why, not even an minion is coming. i don't see any kind of telegraphed attack to indicate its coming.

can a dev maybe elaborate on this?

There's an errant hit box on the left side of the screen. Though, to be honest, you are supposed to be hit on the furthest left and right sides when he flattens out and pulls back (his tongue extends as he pulls back).

The way you're supposed to avoid damage on the snake is to move under te arched sections, then duck when he flattens out.

The wall bounces are the tricky thing. There's some times where it's hard to tell how much he's going to hit the wall and bounce off, when I saw that situation coming I just noped out and got to the other side as far away as possible .

Coreda

Any tips to beating the blue ball boss early in the game? I keep messing up my timing and am not figuring his pattern pretty well :V

I kept close to it as it moved and dashed below in the opposite direction when it jumped (and as others have pointed out keeping in mind the rebound effect when it reaches the sides of the screen), doing the same thing in phase two but ducking for the punches. After that it's pretty easy but at first I wasn't using dash so I died quite a bit.

Tizoc

You can duck under his punches in the first 2 forms and continue shooting him.

When he flips a coin in his mouth you can parry off the question marks.

Oh thanks. i was playing the game at around midnight so my head was a little drowzy :p
What benefits do i gain from parries btw, at least in this fight?

Suggestions?

Challenge yourself. There are so many ways to do so. Beat the game using only a specific weapon, try expert mode, beat it only using three hearts or no charms whatsoever etc

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a known bug where robot gets stuck on the second form? I mean, it was way easier, but it felt like cheating. :p

Bydobob

But you can go small and fast instead, which gets you out of the tightest spots. It’s every bit as useful as dodge, you just haven’t got used to using it yet.

Is there a known bug where robot gets stuck on the second form? I mean, it was way easier, but it felt like cheating. :p

There is a glitch that freezes bosses in an animation. I fought Dice King once and his hand stood there with no cards coming toward me. Stuck there till he died

Another instance of this happening was one of the mini boss fights on his stage (match the cards).

And I’ve had a couple more.

Got all the contracts on the second island to add to the first, most of them with the standard shooter. Gonna try out the charge and seeker shooters on a couple of the bosses and maybe even try to get my first perfect before going on to island 3. I have to say I like the plane levels more than I thought I would too, the bird one was challenging but fun and rewarding.

dickroach

Got all the contracts on the second island to add to the first, most of them with the standard shooter. Gonna try out the charge and seeker shooters on a couple of the bosses and maybe even try to get my first perfect before going on to island 3. I have to say I like the plane levels more than I thought I would too, the bird one was challenging but fun and rewarding.

I equipped Charge after 2 and didn't drop it till the end. it's good. it's real good
it does un-charge every time your get hit or parry, so I really don't think it's OP. it's just the best weapon in the game

How many hearts did most people have when you face the Dice Kings final form, I'm finding two or three isn't enough :(

It’s easy once you get the hang of it. Got an A tank on him. You can Time you party on the die to make it hit the number of spaces you need to move to get an extra heart or safe space. After some practice, you should be able to reach him with six hearts easy

You’ll just have to learn the two patterns of each mini boss. They are all fairly simple to navigate. Dice king himself is simplistic. Just need to party the pink cards.

dickroach

Dice King I was fine with the regular amount of hearts going in. I'd fucked up enough times where I had the patterns of every one of those bosses down pat.
he's not that hard. jump dash to get to the first card and then just keep bouncing on the same card till you feel comfortable to go on to the next one. and then just charge shot up to kill em.

the Devil I needed to use Double Heart

I equipped Charge after 2 and didn't drop it till the end. it's good. it's real good
it does un-charge every time your get hit or parry, so I really don't think it's OP. it's just the best weapon in the game

That's what I hear from a lot of people, wanted to beat Matchsticks with the regular shooter before changing things up, now that I've managed that I'll be experimenting a bit more.

Nbz

Oh no

the Robot

I'm also awful at the flying stages, robot took me like an hour to get through. By comparison Bee tower I did on like my 5th try

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But you can go small and fast instead, which gets you out of the tightest spots. It’s every bit as useful as dodge, you just haven’t got used to using it yet.

I don't like using the small form because of the sudden acceleration, I always careen into some other obstacle. I'd honestly prefer it if it shrank me but kept me the same speed.

I honestly just like the flying stages least about this game in general I think. No loadout options to experiment with and the challenge seems the most based on "here are three different types of projectile maze on screen, hope you didn't accidentally trigger them in a formation that corners you with no way out"

Top Bottom