• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Silent Hill 2 (dat ending...)

Ahasverus

It's real shitty none of the Silent Hill games are on Steam.
The devilification of SH post 4 was really unfair.

The shittiest of SH games is still miles ahead of most horror games. Homecoming, for example, has that bit in the cemetery that was nerve wracking.

No Silent Hill is not better than western Silent Hill. If only we knew that back then instead of whining.

Oemenia

Banned
Sorry OP, now you're stuck in eternal damnation with the rest of us Silent Hill fans.

327e7980a82b5686be8db04758c9c9a4--silent-hill--its-always.jpg
Angela's case is pure misery, probably the saddest part of the game.

Paracelsus

This is the music that did it for me when I played it the first time in SH2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPaYGVLifY

It's so repetitive, short loop, yet simply incredible. It tells you "your memory of the fact was completely wrong, and the truth is far worse than you could possibly imagine. Congratulations, now you get to lose your f*ing mind".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Isn't it amazing the game was written by non-native speakers and acted by non-actors? I firmly believe this is the best written game ever released. The attention to detail and dedication to its themes and symbolism is so consistently strong throughout the entire game. It's just peerless.

Silent Hill 2 is probably the best argument for 'games as art' I've ever played, especially since it's an experience elevated by being a game rather than any other medium. One of the best games ever made.

Isn't it amazing the game was written by non-native speakers and acted by non-actors? I firmly believe this is the best written game ever released. The attention to detail and dedication to its themes and symbolism is so consistently strong throughout the entire game. It's just peerless.
These.

You can't come up with something more disturbing or horrifying than Abstract Daddy.

CGiRanger

Banned
Silent Hill 2 was a masterclass of storytelling and narration in a genuinely creepy and utterly disturbing environment.

The game eschews the more traditional "scares" that games like the original Silent Hill relied on and instead weaves a tale that builds tension and increases the insanity of the situations as you progress further in the game.

Each character at first feels like random people that have nothing in common and you start out confused as to why they're even there. But the further you go the more you realize how connected you are to them.

I think at the time of its release it got a lot of flak for "running through the endless fog" and that is sort of correct for the first part of the game, there is a lot of that. But I felt thanks to the superb sound editing that running through that fog was genuinely tense and I always felt something creepy was going to jump out at you, even if it never manifested.

The environments were characters on their own, the one that really got me was the Prison, with its laws-of-physics-defying layout, and how you just kept going deeper and deeper underground, and once more the sounds that kept following you just made the place really a place you didn't want to be in.

I'd also echo the recommendation to play Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Granted, the gameplay of "run away" is not really realized well. but where the game shines is in it's storytelling, with particular emphasis on how it really does mess with your head thanks to the inclusion of the "Psychology" element, of how the game "profiles" you and how the in-game content subtly changes based on your responses.

The ending of course is what makes you go WTF, and also the credits scene of the "results" of your psychological profile.

Oemenia

Banned
This is the music that did it for me when I played it the first time in SH2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPaYGVLifY

It's so repetitive, short loop, yet simply incredible. It tells you "your memory of the fact was completely wrong, and the truth is far worse than you could possibly imagine. Congratulations, now you get to lose your f*ing mind".
His reaction says it all, in fact when you step out of the room the state of hotel doesn't even shock you since he now has to face his crime.

I'll check out Shattered Memories as many people have said, but after playing SH3 and SH4 though I want to take a break from the franchise for palette cleansing purposes. But seriously, I just can't see how the franchise can top this game purely because of the ending.

Top Bottom