• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World - Open beta is up for preload (PS+ required)

Grinchy

Banned
Info: http://www.monsterhunterworld.com/us/topics/beta/

Download:https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0102-CUSA07713_00-0000000000000000 (Click on Free Game Trial)

It starts December 9th at noon EST and goes until December 12th. You can co-op with 3 other people. It says you can't do friend invites during the beta, but you can play with friends by just giving them the room code.

I'm pretty pumped to check this out tomorrow. This is the first digital game I've pre-ordered in a long time. I don't even care about my Amazon Prime 20% off new games deal because I want this one digital.

Hopefully I can play it on an account that doesn't have PS+ since I prefer to multiplayer on an account with my preferred username instead of the one I have PS+ on.

EDIT: Looks like I was able to launch it. Who knows if it will make another check when starting a game.

EDIT 2: Looks like I can play it just fine on an account without PS+

xviper

finished the first mission, the monster didn't even hit me once and after every few hits he falls, and he died way too quickly, looks like they lowered the difficulty for the newcomers

it's only the first mission, i'll try the others

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah I chose prioritise frame rate. Yikes if that is prioritised.

Started on beginner with hatchets. Monster went down quick, I'm guessing your gear is quite levelled as well though. Little nag buttons everywhere that seem to do nothing.

In the middle of fighting and R1 keeps popping up. Press it and I sheathe my weapons? I thought it would be to mantle or something? Also is there a 'jump'? I went to controls but could only see type 1 or type 2 not the mapping.

xviper

completed all missions on solo since Multiplayer is broken

the game is a lot easier than the previous ones, i don't mind that, there are few minor changes, but it's still Monster Hunter as we know it

my final impression is THANK YOU, CAPCOM

First time player of the franchise and enjoyed what I’ve played so far. Can anyone say how exactly do you jump or how to launch onto a monster. Impressed me enough to probably buy this on launch.

Hope there’s more create a character options. Hopes there’s colour option since I settled on old man with a beard.

Only done first 2 so far and it does seem pretty easy. I haven't really played an MH since Tri on Wii so I might be misremembering difficulty.

As of this time multiplayer is still broken. Finished all of the missions solo but I didn't really take the time to explore. People are saying Rathalos is in somewhere but I've yet to see it.

Peroroncino

playing the beta was a bad idea since I ended up more hyped for the game, seriously, this shit can't come fast enough

As of this time multiplayer is still broken. Finished all of the missions solo but I didn't really take the time to explore. People are saying Rathalos is in somewhere but I've yet to see it.

weird, MP works fine for me

as for Rathalos, on every map there are 3 main monsters, inlcuding the one you have to kill to clear the mission

Grinchy

Banned
I'm waiting on someone I'll be playing with, so I just did the first mission twice. Once to beat the monster as quickly as I could and the second time to run around, explore, craft, ect. Just basically get the details down. The longsword feels just like I expect it to.

This game is going to consume me. It's very much Monster Hunter, but feeling current with the rest of the industry for the first time since the PS2/PSP days.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Playing this and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Should it be just slashing away at the animal for like 5 minutes straight?

Grinchy

Banned

I played for over an hour with someone and had no problems at all outside of how annoying it is to enter the ID.

What problem are you facing?

Played with my friends all morning! We almost beat rathalos, gonna gather in a few hours and do it, then diablos. Can’t wait for final release, gotta get used to the fleshed out movesets with the new mechanics but I’m having a blast.

Had connection errors a few times but created new matches until everyone got in

Rathalos is in 3rd mission start at camp 17 and take the path to the nest it’s along a vine way and you’ll crawl through some brambles

To mount things easier go to ledges and hit roll to launch yourself then hit monster, do this when opportunity presents, turn on the glider mantle to extend the opportunity.

Keinu

That 20 minute limit for the hunt, is that just a beta thing or is it going to be there in the final version also?

Apart from that I really enjoyed it.

weird, MP works fine for me

I played for over an hour with someone and had no problems at all outside of how annoying it is to enter the ID.

Some matchmaking error however it works if you do a search by criteria instead.

That 20 minute limit for the hunt, is that just a beta thing or is it going to be there in the final version also?

Apart from that I really enjoyed it.

It's usually 50 minutes for quests. I think the 20 minute timer is because this is a build that was used for one of the expos (GDC?) so they want faster turnover of people trying it out.

My personal picks for weapons that "Feels GOOD!" :

Great Sword - old faithful, now with a true charge slash that does BONKERS DAMAGE and a crazy cool new rising slash from sliding down.

Hammer - hunters have been working out, charging is very easy to manage now along with new set of attacks to chain with. Also - SPINNING SLIDE JUMPS.

Gunlance - Finally some really weighted attacks that finishes with a PIERCING EXPLOSIVE STAKE. All I'm going to say is: Slam discharge > stake > wyvern fire.

Bow - Clean and simple third person aiming. The ability to easily follow up a shot with another that's a charge higher is such a surprise.
I haven't been able to get dodge follow up right yet but I imagine it feels really awesome to pull off. Drilling Rocket Arrows = WIN.

Long Sword - SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER. WEEB DREAMS COME TRUE.

Switch Axe - Shining Finger/*insert anime battle quote here*.

End report. I just wish the missions weren't 20 minutes long, I just want to explore every square inch of the maps.

Hope others are enjoying the demo as much as I am!

*Edit*
some beginner friendly tips: there isn't a designated jump button but your character can perform jumping actions from leaping off ledges, sliding down hills or while climbing- following up with an attack.
The Insect glaive however has a jumping maneuver with r2 + x i believe. At points you can also use your slinger to grapple onto "wedge beetles" by aiming with L2 and using circle on the beetles.
You initiate mounts by performing a jumping attack on a monster, it might take a few successful attacks to trigger a mount. From there you have to spam triangle while avoiding being thrown off (shadow of the colossus/dragon's dogma style) before toppling the monster.
You can also adjust various hud stuff through the menus like hiding weapon button prompts, and u can find useful details for weapon handling under the hunter's notes.

To mount things easier go to ledges and hit roll to launch yourself then hit monster, do this when opportunity presents, turn on the glider mantle to extend the opportunity.
How do you even activate the Glider mantle?
The lack of info for newbies is frustrating.

Game is awesome. Glad the series is finally released from the shackles of weaker hardware, because the lack of loading times improves the experience exponentially.

Is the Beta not available in Australia? I can't find it on the store front.

If you are talking about the store on ps4 it should be under games > demos.

Side note:

I agree that the demo is pretty hard for new comers to find things, there's just so many things the demo is giving that its easy to get lost (not to mention the sprawling maps!)

Thankfully the main games always ease players in really easily by introducing each hunting mechanic step by step. I'm sure the full release of Worlds wont be different.

Grinchy

Banned
The radial menu might start to feel better to me over time, but it sure feels strange at first. I also find myself trying to scroll through the standard menu with L1 + square and circle, and then when I move my camera while scrolling, it of course brings up the radial menu that I didn't actually want to have up.

There's a setting in the menus to toggle how u use items in the radial menu, u can set it to use item on r3 press instead of always accidentally using an item when u bump the right stick.

Hoping for a way to disable some of these options, there's just way too many xD

F31 Leopard

During my playthough I was like did he just pulled of some Plesioth hip check bs.
vDIUkUi.gif

Grinchy

Banned
There's a setting in the menus to toggle how u use items in the radial menu, u can set it to use item on r3 press instead of always accidentally using an item when u bump the right stick.

Nice, that is a way better option for it.

I tried the bow earlier and it was fun as hell. I've always been a longsword and hammer kinda guy, but I tried the bow on a whim and it's very cool.

Does anyone know how you can tell which armor sets are good for the different weapons? In Freedom Unite it would specifically tell you that one was for blademaster, one was for ranged, ect.

I generally stick to sets with skills that I find suit my playstyle, back in the 3u and 4u days I leaned towards lance and switch axe so skills like evade, attack and crit up are my go to.

If u are working on slower weapons like hammer and gs the quick charge skill was always a godsend - even for bows.

Now with MHW u have the benefit of skills by simply wearing armor its going to be way more flexible to try out different skills to suit whatever need u might want.

You can always look up what the community have been experimenting too, lord knows what monstrosities people are min maxing with!

Poppyseed

Yeah I chose prioritise frame rate. Yikes if that is prioritised.

Started on beginner with hatchets. Monster went down quick, I'm guessing your gear is quite levelled as well though. Little nag buttons everywhere that seem to do nothing.

In the middle of fighting and R1 keeps popping up. Press it and I sheathe my weapons? I thought it would be to mantle or something? Also is there a 'jump'? I went to controls but could only see type 1 or type 2 not the mapping.

Frame rate made me want to vomit. Couldn’t play it. No matter the mode the frame pacing is some of the worst I’ve seen.

Jingo

What mode are you playing ? Resolution or framerate? Also im a total newbie, cant pass the second boss, the time always runs out, should i be targeting specific zones? Im talking about balroth i think.

Grinchy

Banned
I generally stick to sets with skills that I find suit my playstyle, back in the 3u and 4u days I leaned towards lance and switch axe so skills like evade, attack and crit up are my go to.

If u are working on slower weapons like hammer and gs the quick charge skill was always a godsend - even for bows.

Now with MHW u have the benefit of skills by simply wearing armor its going to be way more flexible to try out different skills to suit whatever need u might want.

You can always look up what the community have been experimenting too, lord knows what monstrosities people are min maxing with!

Ok that's what I had done. I basically just set up a glass cannon type of archer, prioritizing the attack stat with the armor at the cost of defense. That's cool that they do that in these games now. I was just so used to the old method.

chozen

The Beta was great. Enjoyed the Insect Glaive, Light Bowgun, and Hunter Bow. Excited for full game.

nowhat

OK, so what is this monstrosity or am I missing something - is there no invert Y? Not found on the main menu options or pressing "options" while in-game at least. I may be "that guy", but no invert Y makes this completely unplayable for me.

Edit: scratch that, it was just hidden a bit in the in-game options menu. I think this should be adjustable from the main menu as well, but thankfully the option exists.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There's some major clipping issues going on. The axe was literally fused with the character every time he was running.

My wife found it to be very boring. There's no real story was her biggest complaint. She didn't like how slow the axe was and following the green light was kinda boring.

I thought it was a prettier Monster Hunter game. I liked some aspects of it. The marketing for this game made it look so much better than it actually is.

I'm not super impressed by it. I wouldn't mind playing it when it's out, but I'm not rushing back to the beta. I was so bored in the training area with the barrels. There's nothing to really have fun with. Some of the barrels can be ignited, but it's just not that impressive.

I guess for someone who owns the previous entries. That this is awesome, but I think it might bore some more modern gamers looking for more. I have 3 and 4 on 3DS and I've played MH on PS2, so I'm not really complaining.

Keinu

My wife found it to be very boring. There's no real story was her biggest complaint. She didn't like how slow the axe was and following the green light was kinda boring.

No story in the beta, but I'm under the impression there will be a full story in the final game.

From wikipedia:
The game will feature a story mode offered through the quest system. Unlike previous games, where the story mode led the player through and to complete the "Low Rank" quests, before opening the game to more difficult "High Rank" quests without a story driver, World will have a narrative that continues into the "High Rank" quests. Instead of quests that required the player to slay a number of smaller monsters or collect resources, World will offer these as Bounties or Investigations that can be achieved alongside the main quests.

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
completed all missions on solo since Multiplayer is broken

the game is a lot easier than the previous ones, i don't mind that, there are few minor changes, but it's still Monster Hunter as we know it

my final impression is THANK YOU, CAPCOM

Yup they are fairly easy, although i miss the horn sound and victory sounds of the last game. The once here are nor really rememberable tbh.

What also rubs my the wrong way is the f"ing narrator. I mean its fine to get people going in the beginning, but to tell me to not focus on that enemy bc you need to do the big monster is lame.

While some little things annoy me, i think i will buy the full version. Still a portable version is missed, lets hope for capcom that the eastern market isnt too upset about the lack of a portable version.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No story in the beta, but I'm under the impression there will be a full story in the final game.

From wikipedia:

That's interesting.

The person talking to your character was uninteresting. Id like to see more of the game myself. My wife just didn't like it. She thinks AC Origins is a lot better looking than MH World.

I don't like to skip around the object at times to find clues, but that's forgivable. I just expected something a bit more free or open to roam. I had a grand idea in my mind, but it's still MH.

Fbh

Did all of the single player missions.
Combat is still really fun and it looks pretty nice (it's cool seeing this franchise on decent hardware for a change )

But it still looks like it's going to be the same grind fest and time waster as always. As fun as this beta is, once I have to kill the same monster 20 times in a row and then go farm minerals and catch bugs for 30 minutes I'll soon be bored and tired of it.

Keeping my hopes on the single player being cool. If they focus on making it fun and have good pacing and leave the hours of grinding to multiplayer I might still pick it up.

Top Bottom