• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As an adult who lives alone what do you do when you get really sick?

Can't ask a roommate to make a run. Can't ask Dad or Mom to help you out. Living alone and you get the flu what do you do when you don't have any of the things you need to recover?

Chicken Noodle Soup, Tea, various drugs for your symptoms etc.
Don't worry about any of that and let it pass.

HardRojo

Call in sick.
Eat some delicious soup.
Play videogames.
Watch series or movies.
Take a nice hot bath.

Not exactly in that order.

SDCowboy

Can't ask a roommate to make a run. Can't ask Dad or Mom to help you out. Living alone and you get the flu what do you do when you don't have any of the things you need to recover?

How does living alone mean you can't ask your folks for help?

Bliddo

You suck it up.
Eventually you'll get better at predicting this stuff and prepare youself when you feel like you're coming down with something. Always keep a minimum stock of the essential stuff too.

I just stock up on things when I get my prescription. When I'm feeling a little better and can take more solid foods I call a food delivery company and get Chinese food sent to me.

Suffer in silence while my cat criticizes me for not giving him my full attention.

Otherwise I medicine the fuck up, make soup, lay on my couch and play video games. I tell my mom but this send her into a full panic because the rare times I get sick she assumes I am clearly dying.

When you're sick as a kid, you stay in bed and your parents bring you food and medicine. When you're sick as an adult, you have to get out of bed and make food and get medicine.

O.DOGG

I just wait it out. It's never been so bad that I can't walk to the store that's right next to my apartment building if I need basic necessities.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I learned how to take care of myself by observing my parents take care of me as a child.

Seirith

I lay in bed or on the couch and be sick, I always have a few cans of soup and various OTC medicines on hand. I only eat canned soup when I'm sick but if I have the flu I usually can't eat for a few days.

Do you have no friends you could ask? Why can't you ask your parents? If you are that sick order on Amazon with 1 day shipping.

However, I am not single so I ask my husband or my parents for help. Also, if I tell my parents I am sick they immediately ask if I need anything.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Die alone.

Call in sick and play video games all day.

These, pretty much. But I also have a grocery store (and a pharmacy) within 2 minutes walking distance, so unless I'm completely unable to do anything (which I don't think has ever happened) I can manage.

EDIT: Also totally this (but with two cats):

Suffer in silence while my cat criticizes me for not giving him my full attention.

I've got a bunch of friend that live nearby.

On the flip side of this, if you have a friend that lives alone and they are sick, offer to go get them some groceries/medicine. It really means a lot.

If for whatever reason I didn't have a couple days worth of stuff and some basic medicine at home I'd go buy some.

If I was dying so hard I couldn't I'd call a friend to pick me up some stuff or something.

If it's anything like flu, food poisoning etc. deal with it alone. I don't like people seeing me in that weakened state anyway. Nor do I want to burden anyone even though I know they would be glad to help me.
No idea why so many grown ass men become whinny babies once they get a little cough.
I have medicine and feeling-sick-food reserves at home, but I can always also order them on demand like a pizza in my city.

If it were anything worse then I will need medical attention and go to the hospital/doctor.

The only real scenario where you would want to have someone at home is not sickness but accidents e.g. if you slipped in the bathroom on the weekend and become quadriplegic and because no one will come home you will slowly die from dehydration lying on the floor in your own piss/poop.
Sweet dreams :*

CodonAUG

Purchase and never eat until sick:
1) Cambell's chicken noodle soup and beef vegetable. 2) Saltine crackers 3) Powdered gatorade 4) Pepto bismal tablets

Have a thermometer and monitor the shit out of your temp.

The moment I start feeling sick I clean my bathroom. If im going to to be collapsing, vomiting, or stranded in my bathroom, its going to be clean.

First:See a doctor

Second: Take any medicine prescribed by the Doctor..

Third: Don't add any over the counter medications to what the doctor gave you, you live alone you may die alone for making a mistake, ask the doctor what over the counter stuff i can take with what you giving me.

Home remedies, ask your parents or someone you know for all natural stuff, i have a liquid Vit C, i take it with water every day i am sick, it flows into the blood stream faster in liquid form...

If you don't feel like you are getting better after 2-3 days on prescribed medication visit the doctor again or head straight to the Emergency room..

Well I just bent over to pick my dog up and heard a crack in my lower back where I have some disc injuries, I collapsed onto the floor. I'm still here. Pretty much just going to ride our the spasms till its tolerable enough for me to stand up and get my TENS machine and some anti-inflammatories.

Alone life is rad.

mhayes86

Prep for it, have some OTC meds always.

This. Keep some stuff stocked just in case. A can of chicken noodle will last you a long while and is easy enough to heat up when you're sick.

Last time I was really sick and my wife was at work, I at least had some energy to run out and grab some pho, then slept the rest of the day after taking a few meds.

Hoo-doo

Banned
First:See a doctor

Second: Take any medicine prescribed by the Doctor..

Third: Don't add any over the counter medications to what the doctor gave you, you live alone you may die alone for making a mistake, ask the doctor what over the counter stuff i can take with what you giving me.

Home remedies, ask your parents or someone you know for all natural stuff, i have a liquid Vit C, i take it with water every day i am sick, it flows into the blood stream faster in liquid form...

If you don't feel like you are getting better after 2-3 days on prescribed medication visit the doctor again or head straight to the Emergency room..

You visit the doctor every time you come down with a mild flu? That's nonsense.

And the doctor will likely just prescribe you painkillers. But then you go to the ER when you still feel sick after two days? Again, nonsense.

Luminaire

This just happened to me. I was out for a week. While I have family two miles away that I can call, it wasn't impossible to get to a store.

The best thing you can do is stock up on meds, make sure your expired stuff is replaced. Get some dayquil as well, which can give you some temporary relief so you can go to Walgreens/Rite Aid/whatever. Make sure you have plenty of water, cans of soup and all that jazz, then just ride it out. I did see a doctor, but that's because work requires a note after three days.

I can order groceries online and get them delivered. Can do the same for prescription free medicine too. And the pharmacy is like 5 min on foot away. Screw preparing. I don´t look that far into the future.

Nivash

Only been really sick once during the 10 years I've lived alone. Caught a really nasty stomach bug. Managed to sustain myself for 3 days on whatever stuff I had at home, but by then I'd developed an electrolyte imbalance and got some truly horrifying stomach cramps. Couldn't reverse it with homemade sugar/salt solutions. Didn't know anyone with a car and actually had to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital which was no more than a few hundred meters away because I could barely get out the door, let alone walk the way there. They put me on an IV and I recovered in short order, could walk myself home after no more than a few hours. Wasn't even seen by a doc but hey, they had more important stuff going on and I wasn't complaining.

Nivash

I live with my wife, but when I saw the 30 Rock episode with Liz almost choking to death by her own the thought really worried me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5rEbfLl3g

I can´t remember if I ever really was choking on something ever since I was a kid, but it´s still good to know this technique.

Haha, yeah. I think of that episode every time I feel a bit queesy :p It did motivate me to learn how to do a self-heimlich however, so I guess I'll have Tina Fey to think if I ever need to use it.

Mr. X

Sleep it off and drink water until I can go to the store like an adult.

You visit the doctor every time you come down with a mild flu? That's nonsense.

And the doctor will likely just prescribe you painkillers. But then you go to the ER when you still feel sick after two days? Again, nonsense.

Are you a young guy? When you get older and sicker you'll grow out of this. Doctors are there to help you, there's no reason not to accept this help.

My big worry about living alone I that there's a high chance I'll die alone if I get in an accident or have a heart attack or something. Like if I slipped in the shower, no one would find me in time.

Zakalwe

Banned
My girlfriend comes over and looks after me for a few days, or my mum drops by with supplies, or I go to hospital and let them do it for me.

(I have Ulcerative Colitis, so I get this quite often).

My big worry about living alone I that there's a high chance I'll die alone if I get in an accident or have a heart attack or something. Like if I slipped in the shower, no one would find me in time.

HELPphone.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
Are you a young guy? When you get older and sicker you'll grow out of this. Doctors are there to help you, there's no reason not to accept this help.

I'm 28. But this thread is about having the flu. I'd imagine people be able to kinda separate the flu from some life-threatening illness, but I might be off.

If you have never-before-seen symptoms or when you feel sicker than you reasonably should, by all means go visit a physician. But a doctor certainly isn't going to prescribe you anything substantial that you wouldn't be able to get over the counter for a flu. It's painkillers, fluids and bedrest.

Top Bottom