• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

Jintor

sFivvnf.jpg

//UPLINK REESTABLISHED... BEGINNING SYSTEMS TRACE

i4Bct6z.png

Developer | Firaxis
Publisher | 2K
Director | Jake Solomon (XCOM:Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2)
Platforms | Windows, Mac and Linux, PS4, Xbox One
Release Dates | 28 August (PC) – 14 September (PS4, XBONE)
GAFCOM Status | ONLINE

B8T2ieb.png

As the battle against the alien regime rages on, the remnant XCOM forces must find new allies amongst the feuding resistance groups of Earth. But a new and deadly foe – the elite Chosen – has emerged, bent on recapturing the legendary XCOM commander and laying waste to all who resist. Take command of the fledgling resistance, play peacemaker, and lead your forces to victory over our oppressive alien benefactors.

Good luck, commander.

iKaKZrD.png

• FRIENDS: Three competing Rebel factions provide unique, powerful hero units and political opportunities for the strategy level, if you can balance their petty squabbles.
  • FOES: The Chosen – twisted, powerful nemeses - stalk XCOM operations, kidnapping and interrogating your soldiers to track their elusive prey; destroy their strongholds to bring them to heel.
  • MORE FOES: The copycat alien Spectre, the explosive ADVENT Purifier and the psionic ADVENT Priest join the fray. More bodies for the vivisection table...
  • WAR BONDS: Soldiers bond through battle, producing unique shared abilities – and major consequences for death or disaster.
  • I AM NOT A NUMBER: A host of minor and major tweaks to soldiers – soldier personalities, a fatigue system, and the ability to build skill trees to take random abilities from other classes.
  • SITREP: Modifiers ensure that each mission will be unique, different, and challenging in a brand new ”That's XCOM" kind of way, every single time. Lessening the amount of soldiers you can bring, filling the map with explosives... all kinds of fun things.
  • ALSO MORE ZOMBIES AGAIN: Yeah also we've got zombies. A different type of zombie. That do it for you? You can headshot these ones for a free action and they attack the enemy too. Listen, I don't know, zombies man, you can't get rid of them.
  • TECH FIXES: Firaxis promises it won't be as buggy as XCOM 2 at launch. For reals.

7ppL5lP.png

rG6yY2A.png

TRAILERS | Announce Trailer | Reaper Faction | Skirmisher Faction | Templar Faction | Chosen Assassin | Chosen Warlock | Chosen Hunter | New Enemies | The Lost | Challenge Mode |

VIDEO | Dev Deep Dive (Ft. Jake ”Crazy" Solomon and Garth ”Love you Mum" DeAngelis) | Dev Deep Dive 2 (Ft. Jake ”Greenscreen” Solomon and Garth ”Moderator” DeAngelis) | Dev Deep Dive 3 (Ft. Griffin "Delayed" Funk and Joe "Bad News" Weinhoffer) | Yogscast 80 Minute Deep Dive (Ft. Jake ”WAR OF THE CHOSEN" Solomon) | Eurogamer 80 Minutes of Gameplay (Ft. Jake "They're Not Zombies At All" Solomon) | Also like every major influencer on the ‘net has a preview build apparently, give a youtube search

WRITING | Reddit Developer AMA (Ft. Jake "Teardrinker" Solomon, Joe "Pipes" Weinhoffer, and Griffin "Chipmunk" Funk)

HLjcmHJ.png

RockPaperShotgun – RECOMMENDED
Eurogamer – RECOMMENDED
IGN - WORDS
Polygon - WORDS
PCGamer - WORDS
GameInformer - 93
GamePlanet.au - 8/10

UcEhE6i.png

• I'm new to xcom and what is this
    War of the Chosen is an expansion pack for XCOM 2. It will integrate and overlay the base game, much like traditional Civilisation expansions; it is not a separate ‘campaign'. Reports indicate it also integrates the DLC missions and characters for XCOM 2 seemlessly.
  • Cool so do I get those tech fixes to the base XCOM 2 if I don't buy the expansion pack?
    Nope.
  • Is this going to break all my cool mods?
    Nope. Well, probably not.
  • Are we underwater yet?
    Jake Solomon himself is going to teleport to your location and snap your goddamn neck.
  • Why is this OT so garbage?
    Nobody volunteered so I threw this together last minute.
  • I have three uber tier hero units and my guy STILL got mind controlled by a pectoid and then my other guy missed the 95% shot to free him and now I'm squadwiped!!!!
    That's XCOM, baby!
//TRANSMISSION TERMINATED

B00TE

Awesome OT title lol. Staying up to download and maaaaybe start my campaign tonight. Really looking forward to this and squaring up against the Chosen.

TheMoon

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies
MARIO + RABBIDS: Kingdom Battle |OT| XCOM on mushrooms

okay, I wasn't feeling it at first but as a couplet, these two now work quite well together :D

omg those banners, so good.

Very nice |OT|!

It just struck me that the hero classes will (presumably) be in the character creator. There's a lightyear of new possibilities!

B00TE

The propaganda posters are gonna be fun. Gonna random them for post mission stuff, etc. I got a few nice ones out of the "demo" they put out.

Random'd this one with a squad made up of custom soldiers I got from my friends (and one of my own):
So edgy!

I was all ready to play this tomorrow and am just finding out today that it doesn't release for another 2 weeks on PS4. BOOOOO!

;____;

Minamu

Is xcom 2 any good on ps4(pro)? It's cheap in eu and I've been on the fence for quite a while. I've never played this type of game though, it seems really rough :/ I've seen half a lets play of xcom 1 though, and played a few missions of the free spy stealth game on ps+ a few months ago (difficult af).

On ps4, is it worth getting the more expensive deluxe edition? I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of entrance free so to speak :/

So I purchased the digital deluxe version of this game during the deal a week ago. I plan on purchasing this within the next couple weeks. Should I just wait to start the game until then? Is this campaign entirely seperate from the base game?

datruth29

Does anybody know when Green Man Gaming is sending out their keys for WotC? I bought a key from them when they had that special sale. They usually send it out a day or two before release.

Haha great title

Im just now playing vanilla for my first time. Im glad the game is doing really well

Ohh war bonds is exactly what I like to hear

That title lol.

Going in tomorrow with iroman+commander. Let's go.

Edit: I've disabled the mods of the workshop just in case it causes problems.

Palehorse

Damn. I'm waiting for Mario + Rabbids to get here in the mail tomorrow and also waiting for my key for WotC from cdkeys. I'm going to be very busy tomorrow....

Love it!

Natiko

Banned
I haven't played X-Com 2 at all. I loved the first but the response around launch to the sequel was so mixed I sat it out. Is it a good idea to jump in with this expansion or will it be overwhelming?

Waiting a bit for mod support before diving in, but I've clocked over 300 hours in XCOM 2, and its solidly in my top 5 favorite game. So I'll be playing this asap!

samn

Is xcom 2 any good on ps4(pro)? It's cheap in eu and I've been on the fence for quite a while. I've never played this type of game though, it seems really rough :/ I've seen half a lets play of xcom 1 though, and played a few missions of the free spy stealth game on ps+ a few months ago (difficult af).

On ps4, is it worth getting the more expensive deluxe edition? I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of entrance free so to speak :/

Yep works fine on PS4

You don’t need the DLC

Gryph

I haven't played X-Com 2 at all. I loved the first but the response around launch to the sequel was so mixed I sat it out. Is it a good idea to jump in with this expansion or will it be overwhelming?

It will be overwhelming, but I'm pretty sure that's the point of the expansion honestly. There are so many systems tugging you in different directions that it can seem hard to manage. This game will give anyone who wants to clear every event off the map some serious anxiety...

There are some good toggle options for the different settings though, so you can tailor the experience to your desired difficulty level in different ways.

God I hope Steam's wrong and the game doesn't unlock until 4am UK time which it seems to be saying (currently 23:45 and will unlock in 5hrs, Steam says). Still, chances are I'll be up regardless.

Also on the Steam page it says 'cross platform multi-player'? What?

even the long war nutters like me are excited for this. Lots of moving parts and this expansion is really the furthest Firaxis has pushed variance in their strategic layer designs.

It's going to be REALLY weird going back to "vanilla" after 500+ hours of LW2, but I'll manage.

Vaporak

I'm glad they made this, for a while there it was looking like they were just going to do the couple small dlc's and then move on. But man this release date is so inconvenient for me, just don't have time for it. Really looking forward to playing it with LW2 a couple months from now though.

Here's a list of cosmetic mods that may and may not work. They've all been tested in the Propaganda Center demo, which is as close as we can get to WOTC right now.

More or less fully functional:
  • Military Camouflage Patterns
  • More eye colors
  • More armor colors
  • HistoricalCamoPack
  • Mass Effect Armor & Camo Pack
  • New Countries
  • Custom Face Paints
  • Lipstick Pack (Facepaint)
  • Stargate Glyphs
  • More hair colors
  • Symmetrical Kevlar Arms!
  • Valkyria Chronicles Country Pack
  • MGS 4 Frog Trooper Outfit
  • Anarchys Children Extra Options
  • SliWhists SPARK Pack
  • Adam Jensen's Glasses
  • Stenchfury Modular Armors
Tested by tiagobmiranda:
  • Destroyer's Female Hair Pack
  • Destroyer's Female Hair Pack 2.0
  • Lara Croft Squadmate
  • Hotline Miami Masks Pack [W.I.P]
  • Invisible Heads
  • XCOM EU/EW Ports: Tier 1 Armour
Barely functional:
  • Eyepatch Right (no texture)
  • [Customisation Set] Im Too Fancy For Thouse Ayys (some textures/materials might not be working right)
  • XCOM EU/EW Ports: Helmets (textures don't load and can cause crashing)
  • WA'sCustomGear (texture errors)
  • Halo ODST Armour (no textures)
  • XCOM EU/EW Ports: Extras (no texture, causes lag)
  • Halo Reach Marines Pack (texture errors on helmets, not textures on everything else)
  • EW MEC Ports (no textures, slight lag)
  • ME3 Tali Squadmate (no textures besides face plate)
  • ME3 Kasumi Squadmate (some textures load, others don't)
  • ME 3 Cat-6 Mercenaries Pack (no textures)
  • CX Praetor Armor (Doomguy / Chick 2016) (leg & 1 helmet textures work, error on transparent face plate, no textures on arms and chest)
  • Warden Gear (no textures and/or texture errors)
  • ADVENT MEC For SPARK (no textures)
  • XCom EW helmets for SPARK's (texture errors and/or no textures)
  • Spart's SPARKBashes (some textures work, others turn neon, some have bits that bug out)
  • Capn' Bubs (some textures work, others broken)
Tested by tiagobmiranda:
  • Marvel Squadmate - Deadpool (no textures)
  • [PAYDAY] Payday 2: Masks (no textures, which is no surprise since there is a disclaimer at its description stating that it doesn't work with the propaganda center)
  • Star Wars Helmets (no textures, causes lag. R.I.P. Platoon, and thanks for the awesome mod)

Kin5290

I'm still churning my way through my Long War 2 campaign. Down to the final Avatar Autopsy shadow project.

I might hold off on getting this until most of the mods I like to use get updated.

The only real complaint I've read/heard is that the Geoscape looks cluttered and messy and it's almost impossible to concentrate on one thing without something pulling you away and then another thing pulling you the other way. I guess I'll get used to it but simplifying the UI is a tough job when there's all this shit going on. Maybe it's a little too much for what the UI was originally designed for.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The only real complaint I've read/heard is that the Geoscape looks cluttered and messy and it's almost impossible to concentrate on one thing without something pulling you away and then another thing pulling you the other way. I guess I'll get used to it but simplifying the UI is a tough job when there's all this shit going on. Maybe it's a little too much for what the UI was originally designed for.

I was kind of noticing the same thing from the Youtube 'Let's play' people.

There are some cool new additions, but it does get rather cluttered/scattered in an unintuitive way.

You kind of get used to it, but this is a big part of why the whole mobile base thing is kinda of a pain. Feels like you're getting jerked around scanning everything around the world.

edit: It's hardly a deal-killer though. I think you have to rationalize it in that it's better for the game's systems to be more robust and the UX kind of creaky than to simplify the game so that this kind of UX works smoothly.

I wanted to get it on PS4 for the longest time, but ultimately opted for PC.

Im glad I did, as I dont think I could handle the load times and framerate on PS4.

Sentenza

Ahead of the release I'm trying to decide if I want to play this with the "simplified form" of the old DLCs or if I want to keep them in the original form.
I know the expansion offers the option, but I'm not sure what sort of difference it makes.

Also, this is a feature in this expansion that curiously enough no youtuber or preview/review seems to address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxIFTbKB3c
Essentially there will be a series of fixed "scenarios" to solve as individual puzzles.

Not sure why it's getting ignored, because I think I will have a lot of fun with it.

Top Bottom