• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not only is there no actual preload... you still have to decrypt the files as if you had preloaded.

Amazing.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I never had to decrypt. That's odd that it wants you to do it.

Anyway, it's not crashing anymore. I'm not sure why it did the first two times. Time to kick ass.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I never had to decrypt. That's odd that it wants you to do it.

Anyway, it's not crashing anymore. I'm not sure why it did the first two times. Time to kick ass.

Weird. Do you have Arkham City PC? Or did you pre-order through Steam?

Oh dear. You guys are not going to be happy. I'm sure not.

So I tried to run it with PhysX on High... nope, on the benchmark it stuttered like crazy, ran like shit. Tried on Normal... still shitty. Turned it off... ok, not bad, but...

Well, let's just let the results speak for themselves.

Specs:
2500k @ 4.5 Ghz
8 GB of RAM
Vertex 2 SSD
Nvidia GTX 570 @ 900/2050 (285.79 drivers)

Settings: Max everything, DirectX 11, 8x MSAA, Physx OFF, Vsync off

Minimum: 0
Average: 38
Maximum: 58

What. The. Fuck. Unless I'm just an anomaly and others with similar specs get great performance, Rocksteady and Warner Bros are in for a nasty reaction from PC gamers, especially high-end ones.

Might try to throw in my 8800 GT as a dedicated PhysX card and see if it works or if the performance still sucks.

Also: you know it's a bad sign when the Nvidia logo stutters EVERY time you load up the game.

snack

So I tried to run it with PhysX on High... nope, on the benchmark it stuttered like crazy, ran like shit. Tried on Normal... still shitty. Turned it off... ok, not bad, but...

Specs:
2500k @ 4.5 Ghz
8 GB of RAM
Vertex 2 SSD
Nvidia GTX 570 @ 900/2050

Settings: Max everything, 8x MSAA, Physx OFF, Vsync off

What. The. Fuck.
Wow. I don't know what to say. OPTIMIZATION?!

inky

That sounds like bad news considering with how little you could run Batman AA properly. I thought the UE was very well optimized...

Mairu

Specs:
2500k @ 4.5 Ghz
8 GB of RAM
Vertex 2 SSD
Nvidia GTX 570 @ 900/2050 (285.79 drivers)

Settings: Max everything, DirectX 11, 8x MSAA, Physx OFF, Vsync off

What. The. Fuck. Unless I'm just an anomaly and others with similar specs get great performance, Rocksteady and Warner Bros are in for a nasty reaction from PC gamers, especially high-end ones.

Might try to throw in my 8800 GT as a dedicated PhysX card and see if it works or if the performance still sucks.

Also: you know it's a bad sign when the Nvidia logo stutters EVERY time you load up the game.

That's disappointing, my system is worse than that (i5-750, gtx460)... guess I shouldn't expect a great performance :(

Jtrizzy

Well that fucking sucks, but it's not surprising. I don't think any PC games this fall work at release. I predict Nvidia will release new drivers that don't do shit! Yay.

Do you have a dedicated physX card?

Don't need one when PhysX is off. I will try putting an 8800 GT in and seeing if it runs better with it dedicated on Normal/High.

Edit: UPDATE I may have a solution. Give me 5 mins to test.

Edit 2: UPDATE 2

Apparently AA destroys the game's performance. Turned off AA and DX11... 150+ FPS. Ok. Turned on DX11. 90+ FPS. Ok.

Turned on 4x AA, ran benchmark, here's what I got :

Minimum: 0 (yes, there is random stuttering during camera pans at times, absolutely RETARDED)
Avg: 54
Maximum: 98

Ok, better. But why? Nvidia inspector shows that there's Transparency Supersampling special bits for Batman Arkham City, Bad Company 2, etc and it was automatically enabled. Let's try turning that off...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
edit: Nevermind, just bad AA performance. Phew, crisis averted! I never try to go over 2x AA in any game, anyway.

edit: Nevermind, just bad AA performance. Phew, crisis averted! I never try to go over 2x AA in any game, anyway.

Yep, horrible AA performance.

4x MSAA is ok. It stutters in the benchmark when panning the camera.

32x CSAA is unplayable and avgs under 40 FPS.

Ridiculous. The way it's meant to be played, indeed.

K701

Banned
UGH. My comp's wifi usb adapter crapped out on me so I had to tether my phone to download this. I'm actually bridging the wifi on the phone and not using the data so the carrier wont come bitching at me. 950 KB/s :/

Edit: My PS3 was downloading crap so it slowed it down. Getting 1.5 MB/s now.

Will be done in 2 hours

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Somebody check on TheExodu5. News of unsatisfactory performance is sure to come as a shock to him after his undying belief that the delays were to improve the game.

spk

UGH. 950 KB/s :/

You poor soul

Yep, horrible AA performance.

4x MSAA is ok. It stutters in the benchmark when panning the camera.

32x CSAA is unplayable and avgs under 40 FPS.

Ridiculous. The way it's meant to be played, indeed.

Are those numbers really that ridiculous though? What kind of performance were you expecting in the game @ max settings + AA (stuttering aside)

You poor soul

Are those numbers really that ridiculous though? What kind of performance were you expecting in the game @ max settings + AA (stuttering aside)

Um, yes? You realize 32x CSAA is just 8x AA with some extra coverage samples/color correction essentially?

I was expecting 70-90 FPS with those settings.

Here's Arkham Asylum benchmarks with a worse system than mine using 16x CSAA:

System Specs:

GPU: eVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 8.17.11.9755 1536Mb(700 / 1401 / 3696) OC-(775 / 1550 / 2010) @ 1680x1050
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 9400(R0) @ 3.6Ghz
Memory: Mushkin 2x2GB Blackline DDR2 1066Mhz @ 1080
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-PRO
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Disk Drive: LG DVD Writer
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA II
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling 750 Watt Quad Slincer - Blue
Monitor:Dell 2007 WFP

Batman Arkham Asylum v1.1 + PhysX - DX10

Normal PhysX no OC: Avg-72, Min-40, Max-108
High PhysX with OC:: Avg-74, Min-43, Max-120

MSAA - 16X Q
Detail Level - Very High
Bloom - Yes
Dynamic Shadows - Yes
Motion Blur - Yes
Distortion - Yes
Fog Volumes - Yes
Spherical Harmonic Lighting - Yes
Ambient Occlusion - Yes
Hardware Accelerated PhysX - Yes

CSAA really isn't much more intensive than 8x MSAA. 8x MSAA isn't intensive for a game like Arham Asylum at all.

But it runs like dog shit on Arkham City.

comrade

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
x2 6950's @ 900/1350

Everything set to max, no AA, tessellation set to normal, physx off.

Game runs like shit. Getting as low as 13fps during the opening
Bruce Wayne
fight.

Going to try it in DX9 I guess. This is pretty ridiculous though considering how Arkham Asylum runs like complete butter with everything maxed.

spk

Um, yes? You realize 32x CSAA is just 8x AA with some extra coverage samples/color correction essentially?

I was expecting 70-90 FPS with those settings.

Here's Arkham Asylum benchmarks with a worse system than mine using 16x CSAA:

CSAA really isn't much more intensive than 8x MSAA. 8x MSAA isn't intensive for a game like Arham Asylum at all.

But it runs like dog shit on Arkham City.
Ok I understand now

Playing the real game now... avg fps in the first few scenes has been around 40. 4x MSAA, maxed, 1080p, PhysX on High.

I'll try turning PhysX down to Normal but this is a joke so far. The game dropped to 7 FPS during a quick scene transition. :|

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
x2 6950's @ 900/1350

Bruce Wayne
fight.

Going to try it in DX9 I guess. This is pretty ridiculous though considering how Arkham Asylum runs like complete butter with everything maxed.

I'm not alone. Looks like even AMD users are having problems, without AA even. And with SLI 6950's! So perhaps this isn't a driver problem...? If this isn't driver related and really is the game itself, FUCK YOU WARNER BROS for not spending the last SIX WEEKS optimizing it.

That's a pre-emptive fuck you, of course.

LOL, I guess I know why now the game defaulted to FXAA High. I am guessing somehow Rocksteady screwed the pooch and antialiasing is fucked up in performance somehow? Doesn't add up.

wiggleb0t

Banned
i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
x2 6950's @ 900/1350

Bruce Wayne
fight.

Yikes... Will definitely wait for either patches, fix from AMD and probably pick it up when it's on steam sale for $5 if they think it's cool to release such a gimped version esp for it running that horribly on ATI hardware..... Do you have MSI afterburner or any tool to monitor how much gpu usage is being used? Is crossfire even enabled? Either way :|

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I have the exact same system as you...with everything set to max i get:
TWXxU.jpg

I was shocked the game ran so badly....this is a disgrace....my GTX570 shouldnt have to sweat this much just to get the game running smoothly.

Its especially funny that the Nvidia logo stutters....serious patch this shit.

I'll try running the game with AA off or very low....but right now im pretty hurt by the benchmark......even though in game so far the game runs flawlessly 50+

P.S Gonna try finding some tweaks in the .ini files....im bound to find a way to get that random single digit fps out.

Hylian7

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
x2 6950's @ 900/1350

Bruce Wayne
fight.

The fuck?! I just built a new computer that has your same CPU, but my video card is just a single HD5850. If yours is struggling with 2 cards that are more powerful than mine, then I am seriously concerned about this.

It seems ridiculous that the game does not run well on these really high-end systems.

Mairu

My system:

i5 750 @ 3.6
8gb ram
gtx 460 1gb oc'd slightly

Game runs like shit with dx11 on, but trying it now with dx11 & AA off and it seems fine. Guess no dx11 for me! Couldn't get more than 20fps avg or 30fps max with it on.

Nelo Ice

Banned
My system:

i5 750 @ 3.6
8gb ram
gtx 460 1gb oc'd slightly

Game runs like shit with dx11 on, but trying it now with dx11 & AA off and it seems fine. Guess no dx11 for me! Couldn't get more than 20fps avg or 30fps max with it on.

My rig
I5 2500k @stock(3.3)
4gb ram
gtx 460 1gb(stock)

I'm getting like an average of 30 fps and a max of 51 fps or so yet my min fps goes down the shitter at 7, 1 or 0 with dx11 on and AA off.

Chesskid1

Banned
got around 25 FPS with that weird stutter that goes down to single FPS like you other guys.

high everything /w high FXAA.

turned off FXAA. just crashes now, 2x in a row.

FIEEF.png

turned FXAA back on, doesn't crash at menu anymore.

weeeee. 6850. (1600p)

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
For those people who are just worried about the game running at all on weaker systems, you should be fine if you could run Arkham Asylum. After adjusting my settings, I'm averaging 30 FPS. It's on medium settings, which is slightly better than what the console versions looked like. I hate to turn off Dynamic Shadows, but it seemed to be quickest solution to keeping the framerate up. I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow.

AMD just released a new performance Driver that includes Arkham City Optimations. Report back how this driver goes.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/catalyst_11.11_hotfixes/amd_catalyst_11.11a_windows_vista_7.exe

AMD Catalyst 11.11a performance driver features:

Batman Arkham City
improves DirectX 11 performance for single GPU and CrossFireX configurations

Rage
Delivers AMD CrossfireX performance scaling
Resolves a number of image / stability issues seen with the title:
Fix geometry corruption, sometimes seen in Bash TV entrance
Fix issues with Low-memory conditions on 32bit systems.
Fix issue with extreme corruption with missing textures on 32bit systems.
Fix memory leaks when deleting/reusing sync objects.
Fix hitching and pausing, especially noticeable on some Quad Core systems when doing races and Stanley Express runs.
Fix some missing shadows

Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Improves performance on single GPU configurations
Resolve corruption seen when enabling Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series

Battlefield 3
Resolves intermittent corruption seen when playing the game at specific camera angles

Applicable Products:
This article applies to the following configuration(s):

Software
Batman Arkham City
Rage
Battlefield 3
Elder Scrolls : Skyrim
Hardware
AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
Operating Systems
Windows® 7 32-bit Edition
Windows® 7 64-bit Edition
Windows® XP 32-bit Edition

Update

DirectX11 is indeed the culprit, at least combined with MSAA. With DX11 and MSAA on, the minimum FPS shoots up from 2-3 at times to 45.

Runs sooooooo much smoother in DX10 mode.

WTF, Rocksteady. Seriously!?

Benchmarks with DX11 off
Settings: Max settings, 1080p, PhysX: HIGH, Vsync OFF, 32x CSAA

Minimum: 27
Maximum: 99
Avg: 54

scitek

Maybe it's specifically tessellation or something. That shit's a performance killer if implemented Crytek-style.

Zimbardo

wasn't there a video where Nvidia showed one GTX560 vs an 8800GT ...and the 560 had physx enabled and running it well?

LOL!

i don't think so, tim.

demolitio

I kind of thought this would happen after the delay but this is getting ridiculous now as it seems like every single game has performance problems at release. Hell, Saints Row 3 is another example just recently and that was developed in-house this time!

I hope there's a miracle and it runs well for me with 2x AA I guess.

Maybe it's specifically tessellation or something. That shit's a performance killer if implemented Crytek-style.

Nope. I just checked, turned on DX11 with Tesselation OFF.

Same performance. YUCK.

Also, when you turn off DX11, it forces DX9 mode. However, you can also force DX10 mode in the ini. Let me try that.

I kind of thought this would happen after the delay but this is getting ridiculous now as it seems like every single game has performance problems at release. Hell, Saints Row 3 is another example just recently and that was developed in-house this time!

I hope there's a miracle and it runs well for me with 2x AA I guess.

Saint's Row 3 runs like butter in DX11 mode. Very well optimized game.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Nope. I just checked, turned on DX11 with Tesselation OFF.

Same performance. YUCK.

Also, when you turn off DX11, it forces DX9 mode. However, you can also force DX10 mode in the ini. Let me try that.

Saint's Row 3 runs like butter in DX11 mode. Very well optimized game.

Not for me. Can barely break 30 FPS even on lowest settings at lowest resolution. AMD is my issue, though. PC issues are starting to bum me out.

Chesskid1

Banned
yeah running nicely here in DX9.

went from 20FPS to 50FPS. ati, no more single FPS stutter.

i'm just going to ignore DX11 for now, time to play. still looks great, i prolly can't tell the difference unless i see side by side shots anyways.

masterkajo

So by installing the new CCC 11.11a it should fix this problem for DX11? I am still downloading Batman... very slow here.

Zimbardo

running i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 regular gtx560 1gig cards (1 dedicated to physx = High)

1080p/DX11
everything set to max except Tesselation is normal, and using FXAA (currently on medium, tried it on high and it didn't seem much different at all)

min fps = 1
max fps = 60
average is 35

benchmark stutters a fair amount at times ...ie, camera turning around at the start and during the part with that lion statue on the building.

maybe the benchmark is fucked somehow? i dunno. seems kinda screwed up.

edit: i had vsync enabled during the bench. i play all my games with vsync on so i don't care about frames above 60 right now.

running i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 regular gtx560 1gig cards (1 dedicated to physx)

1080p/DX11
everything set to max except Tesselation is normal, and using FXAA (currently on medium, tried it on high and it didn't seem much different at all)

min fps = 1
max fps = 60
average is 35

benchmark stutters a fair amount at times ...ie, camera turning around at the start and during the part with that lion statue on the building.

maybe the benchmark is fucked somehow? i dunno. seems kinda screwed up.

edit: i had vsync enabled during the bench. i play all my games with vsync on so i don't care about frames above 60 right now.

Turn off DX11. With DX11 off, max settings, 8x MSAA, PhysX on High, my avg FPS is 57. All those stutters are eliminated in DX9 mode.

DX11 is apparently fucked in this game, or the drivers are. We'll see.

Way to go, Rocksteady/Warner Bros. What a great fucking release. Assholes.

Top Bottom