• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/games-for-windows-live-is-dying-we-check-the-life-support-of-ga/

However, a large number of developers remained quiet about what the future held for their games, so Joystiq reached out to get the official word on what the future may hold for their games past July.

Planned
Super Street Fighter IV / Arcade Edition (Steamworks)
DiRT 3 (Steamworks)
F1 2010 (Steamworks)
F1 2011 (Steamworks)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)
Ms. Splosion Man (Steamworks. No timeline.)

No plans
Dark Void (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (No plans.)
Street Fighter X Tekken (No plans.)
DiRT 2 (No Comment.)
Fuel (No Comment. Delisted from Steam.)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (No Comment.)
Operation Flashpoint: Red River (No Comment.)
Iron Brigade (No plans.)
Fable 3 (No plans.)
Gears of War (No plans.)
Halo 2 (No plans.)
Microsoft Flight (No plans.)
Shadowrun (No plans.)
Tinker (No plans.)
Viva Piñata (No plans.)
Blacklight: Tango Down (No plans.)

And there are some titles that the publishers have not yet responded to Joystiq's inquiry.

Dammit Capcom!!

Deadbeat

Banned
RFG is good news. Ill probably wait for that patch before I play it.

LOL at capcom.

Not surprised about gears. Epic already expressed their opinion on PC gaming many times.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dirt 2 and Fuel are likely having GFWL removed as they've been in quite a few bundles semi-recently, even after being pulled from Steam, and each have a new app in the registry.

komplanen

I want to replay Dark Souls for the third time (1st Xbox 360, 2nd PS3) and I have been waiting for them to remove GFWL so this news makes me happy. I just hope it's before Dark Souls 2 comes out or it'll be for naught.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)"

yeah, that's right, nordic games is going to release a total beast-mode social gaming service, launching with red faction guerrilla. great plan guys. totally ignore the free and easy to implement game service used by 75 million gamers on an active basis. write your own. great move.

scitek

Wow at RF:G Didn't think that had any chance of seeing an update. Glad it is, though! Maybe the online will pick up a bit if it becomes Steamworks. Shit's fun.

RFG is good news. Ill probably wait for that patch before I play it.

LOL at capcom.

Not surprised about gears. Epic already expressed their opinion on PC gaming many times.

They asked Microsoft about it, not Epic. Regarding the other Epic PC game with GFWL, Bulletstorm, EA didn't get back to them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Praise the Sun!

Hell Yes. I picked this up on steam sale but embarrassingly have not played it that much. GFWL removal may be the kick in the ass that gets me to dive into it.

Alienups

Tpm2ZIw.gif

mnannola

Hope this doesn't screw up my Dark Souls saved game, or at least give me time to make a backup that is compatabile with the new service.

Dolor

Hope when they patch those that they also patch in cards. Would love some Dark Souls and RFG cards/backgrounds...

Duress

The only one I really care about is Street Fighter IV. I don't plan on buying a new stick and console any time soon.

An-Det

Interesting that EA was contacted about Bulletstorm and not Epic. I thought the game was published under EA Partners and that they didn't own the rights to it, but I guess not. That's a shame, since I'm playing it right now and it's awesome, and it looks like in a few months no one will anymore. Hopefully that changes.

Tecl0n

Did they really reach out to the developers/publishers? AFAIK SSFIV AE has been confirmed time and time again that it is not getting GFWL removed, you either pay for the Ultra update (Ultra will be steamworks) or be stuck with an offline profile.

kadotsu

Banned
Weird that the Capcom titles won't get an update. Didn't Capcom PR state that almost all titles would have GFWL patched out (on the other hand, it's Capcom).

Sentenza

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Will update, but no set plans yet.)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)
I can declare myself happy to see GFWL die with ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANT DOWNSIDES, at this point.

How will online work for Dark Souls work without GFWL?
If they're smart they'd just use Steamworks matchmaking.
They are already implementing Steamworks in DS2, apparently, so it would make a lot of sense.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Have all games with GFWL removals caused save data loss? I had to restart Arkham City after the update and with a lot of these games I'd rather keep my save data and find a crack if it's an option than bothering with an update to remove GFWL.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also I bet Joystiq got the Dark Souls info from that fake facebook screenshot people posted claiming Dark Souls would have GFWL removed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I can declare myself happy to see GFWL die with ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANT DOWNSIDES, at this point.

But my gamerscore, bro. *

* Please read in the most pathetic nerd voice you can imagine.

Also I bet Joystiq got the Dark Souls info from that fake facebook screenshot people posted claiming Dark Souls would have GFWL removed.

YianGaruga did the leg work in the Steam thread:

Got an answer from joystiq on twitter that it is an official reply from Namco Bandai.

PRAISE THE SUN

Tagyhag

Great news about Dark Souls, though I wish games like Halo 2 and Gears also followed suit. (To show that there might be support in the future)

It's pretty scummy to be selling some of these titles if they will become un-playable at a future date. Microsoft really needs to release a statement of intention in regards to GFWL. Digital distribution sites and the affected publishers need to get on them about this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The article states that Joystiq "reached out" to developers/publishers itself and this was re-affirmed in a very recent tweet (I wouldn't say the Dark Souls Facebook page is "direct from Namco Bandai").

Edit: Beaten.

Top Bottom