• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

Asd202

My thoughts from the sales thread:
There's almost none left, that's true but FF started well in this generation selling around 2 million than it just droped. The question is why? Was it the market? Maybe but that same market did bought XIII in big numbers. Why did they not come back for the other FF games on the console? The only answer I can think of is they didn't want sequels or the quality of the said games was not up to par.

Tales of Xillia also sold better than Final Fantasy XIII-2 in Japan. So it Tales of Xillia 2.

Final Fantasy no longer holds the staying power it once did in Japan. Dragon Quest does, but not Final Fantasy. Japan never associated Final Fantasy with RPGs as the West has, Dragon Quest is the iconic RPG for them. And it's probably easy for them to ignore a Final Fantasy game that doesn't look good to them, as the games probably aren't that much of a curiosity, whether good or bad. Whereas a lot of Westerners buy Final Fantasy because of the name, even if they think of the game as bad, their curiosity leads them to buying the games. Whereas it seems like it is very easy for Japan to move on from Final Fantasy and give attention to other franchises like Monster Hunter.

I would like the West to be able to move on from Final Fantasy a similar way to how Japan is doing. But I do understand the Western phenomenon that is Final Fantasy. It will be harder and take longer for the West to move out of the Final Fantasy 'bubble', so to speak.

I think it can and will happen eventually, though. Especially if Square Enix doesn't turn their development around.

I'm not surprised. #1 they're sequels to sequels and #2 each one seems to be worse than the one before it. I've watched some Twitch streams and this game seems really fecal.

I wouldn't worry about FF as a brand though. 14 is doing well and 15 seems to be pretty hyped. If 15 doesn't match 13's sales then it's time to worry.

God is in his heaven, all is right with the world.
LOL

Dark_castle

booma2srq.gif

Alarming numbers, but there's gotta be a lot of people that will not pick up an RPG sequel without finishing the predecessors first.

And MAN, it's hard to love both FF13-1 AND FF13-2. I found them quite different in a lot of ways.

Both had terrible characters and stories

I hope this finally puts Lightning and her ilk to rest

What a horrible phase in the series gawd

Goli

I think everyone, including SE, saw this coming. That's why the game is as it is and was given the budget it was. Nobody expected another million seller. *shrug*
The game is still pretty good in my opinion though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This game is a bigger bomb than the bomb in the salikawoods, which is a location from the last good final fantasy game!
HYPER dead or ULTRA DEAD and can only be revived by unicorn blood and a sprig of whistleyist from a cave in the Sahara.

Jisgsaw

And considering the budget for the game was probably way lower that the one for the other games, I am expecting SE to have more reasonable expectations and it will probably become profitable when all is said and done.

That's a reasonable assumption.

But the hurt on the franchises image could cost them way more than what they will have gained with this triology.

If XV fails, I think we will have witnessed the fall of one of the biggest franchise in the gaming world.

Shion

It's gonna be outsold lifetime in Japan by GTAV.

Japan has allowed the West into their domestic console market by spending years offering people nothing. The kids I teach there talk about GTA, Call of Duty, and Minecraft almost as much as Monster Hunter or Pokemon.

Japanese publishers really need to step up their game before they become completely irrelevant.

Toth

I always question the sanity of people when they want game companies to fail with their games. My favorite is that now they will make 'good games'. The reality is that one bad game could mean the end of the company. People still wonder why SE gravitates toward the profitable mobile scene.

RPGCrazied

Anyone want to guess how fast the price will drop in NA? Didn't XIII-2 drop price pretty fast? I give this no more than 2 months before its $19.99.

duckroll

Honestly they probably still made profit off it.

Have you seen the game?

It ain't exactly Crysis.

That doesn't change the fact that this is the flagship title for Square Enix this year, and it is a major title in their flagship Japanese franchise. It's embarrassing. We're not talking about a tiny publisher who is happy making low budget stuff which is profitable to survive here. We're talking about one of the biggest publishers in Japan with a staff in Japan of over a thousand people.

Dark_castle

Watch the western sales beating that of Japan.

The days of FF reigning in its mother land is over.
FFXV worldwide release confirmed.

Hopefully lesson learnt.

I honestly don't think XV looks any more promising than XIII looked before it came out, and for all we know it's going to have the same god awful writing and voice acting and such and such that was wrong with XIII. All I've seen from XV is a weird looking all male cast and bullshit gameplay footage. Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful, but so far there's nothing really to suggest that it's about to get any better. I'm hoping to eat crow.

Anyone want to guess how fast the price will drop in NA? Didn't XIII-2 drop price pretty fast? I give this no more than 2 months before its $19.99

I will go with your prediction.

And honestly I might be willing to drop money on this and get it.

This will ironically be the first XIII game I actually pay to play.

sonicmj1

Let's also ignore that it still outsold the next game in the week by almost a 3:1 margin.

I have said it before and I will say it again: the JP market is horrific now for any console game.

In GTAV's first week, it sold almost 100,000 units more, or 360,115 copies. That's a Western game. In Japan.

RPGCrazied

That doesn't change the fact that this is the flagship title for Square Enix this year, and it is a major title in their flagship Japanese franchise. It's embarrassing. We're not talking about a tiny publisher who is happy making low budget stuff which is profitable to survive here. We're talking about one of the biggest publishers in Japan with a staff in Japan of over a thousand people.

I bet X/X-2 HD remaster sells more than LR.

BumRush

Why can't SE have a team start working on full HD remakes of 6, 7, 8 and 9? Those games are infinitely better than 13 - from a story, combat, exploration perspective. Please, they'd sell millions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Expected. Meanwhile, FFXIV ARR is suprisingly a quality game and the sale exceeded SE's expectation.
You see, SE. Crap never sells.

Rootbeer

Banned
surprised they made a 3 after the big drop in #2 to begin with... dammit SE. You could have used the time to work on something people actually wanted to buy.

2009: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 1,501,964
2011: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) - 524,217
2013: Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 277,082

That is insane. Well done Japan. Hopefully the US will follow their lead.

LuuKyK

Yeesh, instead of being happy because a game didn't sell well, go play something else, as others said this won't affect the sales of XV or Bravely Default, so buy and enjoy that whenever/if it launches.

RPGCrazied

Why can't SE have a team start working on full HD remakes of 6, 7, 8 and 9? Those games are infinitely better than 13 - from a story, combat, exploration perspective. Please, they'd sell millions.

It's easier to just release them as is. I'd probably expect to see an iOS version before to long. Its sad, I'd love to see some sort of remaster for 7, 8 and 9. That's a lot of redrawing the backgrounds though.

It's really tragic how that franchise wasted a whole (overly long, even) generation to attract new people to it and stay relevant. Western markets especially will largely have to re-learn to enjoy and understand what a Japanese RPG is once XV comes around. I wonder how that will go.

Top Bottom