• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

Raonak

Banned
Unless you use manual update, I think Vita will only ping every hour. If that hourly ping happens in a new location, you will get a new radar page.

These locations don't have to be far. I have one radar page for my home street, and another radar page for the next street (just one block away).

Actually, it seems to automatically check every 30 minutes.
yesterday I had these 3 automatic updates in a row:

3:22 PM
4:22 PM
4:52 PM

Im guessing I was at the same place at 3:22 and 3:52 which is why it never did an update there.

Actually: all my automatic updates are happening at either 22 or 52 minutes.
All of them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can anyone beat this. :)

ya3Jx.jpg
Damn, what is the reason for this huge surge? Took the Vita to a big city? :)

I'm taking my Vita to a big city tomorrow. Currently i have 48 people met in Near.

I'm still getting the error message in Near even after restoring the database. Funny thing is my activity shows me as having started playing Uncharted for the first time (even though the save still takes me to the right chapter).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can someone explain what's happening in this picture?

6937407551_3958d51c68_b.jpg

It happened during automatic scan. An unpopulated location on my home, just a few blocks away. Zero players as shown by the smiley counter, yet it showed the group that always appear when I'm home. So what's going on?

Does have something to do with the asynchronus nature of the app? as in, in that moment, there wasn't a single player in that location in real-time? I don't know.

I was almost sure the app is bugged until I scanned from from the university and it showed a new group of people. But now instead of one fixed group, I have two. Both haven't changed much since last week.

Edit:

I uploaded the image using Flickr. Hands down one of the slickest mobile apps I've seen. I haven't downloaded the official mobile app in a while, as it used to be rubbish, but now I wonder if it was updated to perform like this ever since. Either way: zexy.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So you have to have a 3G Vita for this?

Because shit mine ain't working. No location data at all on my Vita for anything.

Pachimari

So you have to have a 3G Vita for this?

Because shit mine ain't working. No location data at all on my Vita for anything.

You don't need a 3G Vita for Near.

--

All of a sudden my Near app worked this morning. It's pretty awesome how there's 10 people around me and Everybody's Golf seem to be the most popular. I found 3 Discoveries as well, a Rayman Origins ghost challenge, and a Hustle Kings avatar and in-game cue.

How do you get the radar to show? Is that a 3G specific feature?

I was hoping near would more or less work like StreetPass just with a bigger range and more detail but as it stands I just can't wrap my head around it.

Deadstar

I was hoping near would more or less work like StreetPass just with a bigger range and more detail but as it stands I just can't wrap my head around it.

You don't need 3G to use it. I use it with my Wifi model. Basically you launch near, then click on the near logo and it will get your position. After that you should see people near you. If you aren't sharing your online ID you'll be anonymous and I don't think you can see other id's. If you share your id you can click on other people to see if they dropped any gifts.

jambo

You select an entry from Out-and-About and the radar shows

I kinda prefer the way near works, with your Vita telling the near servers where you are and then the near servers sending back a list of people who are also in the area.

patsu

Can someone explain what's happening in this picture?

6937407551_3958d51c68_b.jpg

It happened during automatic scan. An unpopulated location on my home, just a few blocks away. Zero players as shown by the smiley counter, yet it showed the group that always appear when I'm home. So what's going on?

Does have something to do with the asynchronus nature of the app? as in, in that moment, there wasn't a single player in that location in real-time? I don't know.

I was almost sure the app is bugged until I scanned from from the university and it showed a new group of people. But now instead of one fixed group, I have two. Both haven't changed much since last week.

Edit:

I uploaded the image using Flickr. Hands down one of the slickest mobile apps I've seen. I haven't downloaded the official mobile app in a while, as it used to be rubbish, but now I wonder if it was updated to perform like this ever since. Either way: zexy.

Perhaps when you discovered the new location, no one was around ?

The radar shows you the number of players in the new location over a period.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I live in Colorado, so things are rather spread out. I figured the first time I load up Near, it would be searching in a 20 mile radius and find 2 people. Surprisingly, in the span of a single mile, I've already found 16 people!

Near is a bit addictive, and it's a lot more functional for America than Streetpassing.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I live in Colorado, so things are rather spread out. I figured the first time I load up Near, it would be searching in a 20 mile radius and find 2 people. Surprisingly, in the span of a single mile, I've already found 16 people!

Remember though that this could be 16 people spread over 10 days since either they were last there, or last did a Near scan. Click on their avatar and it will give you the time and date they were last logged.

steveovig

It'd be really cool if you could get more detail as to the locations of other players around you. Maybe not exact details of address location but something as to where you can alert them that you live nearby and maybe you could meet up with them or arrange something. That'd be cool to be able to use my Vita to make new friends with common interests really easily.

Toki767

It'd be really cool if you could get more detail as to the locations of other players around you. Maybe not exact details of address location but something as to where you can alert them that you live nearby and maybe you could meet up with them or arrange something. That'd be cool to be able to use my Vita to make new friends with common interests really easily.

You can always message someone and talk to them that way? A few people have actually messaged me from finding me on near and I've just been chatting with them on and off. One imports a bunch of Japanese games too. It's definitely a nice way to meet people around you, but I could see why they wouldn't give you the other person's exact location.

JWong

Banned

It would make Chris Hansen's life much harder. Or easier if he got a Vita.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You can always message someone and talk to them that way? A few people have actually messaged me from finding me on near and I've just been chatting with them on and off. One imports a bunch of Japanese games too. It's definitely a nice way to meet people around you, but I could see why they wouldn't give you the other person's exact location.

Doesn't it give out the name of the road where an item was located when you claim it through Near?

steveovig

I just think it would be cool if they had a special friend request you could send saying that you lived nearby and you wanted to add them. It would eliminate the hassle of writing something to them first and they would know automatically you lived in the vicinity of the other person.

Twinduct

Hmm, so I've been getting the exact same 'gaming goods' from the same two people for like four days in a row. The goods in question is a ghost data for Rayman origin. The people in question is ... gofreak (And some guy I friended via near) :p
Weird glitch I guess :<

(Btw I beat your time gofreak)

Ken

Hmm, so I've been getting the exact same 'gaming goods' from the same two people for like four days in a row. The goods in question is a ghost data for Rayman origin. The people in question is ... gofreak (And some guy I friended via near) :p

I'm getting like 5 SSD songs every day.

I haven't read this thread yet, but please tell me I'm not the only one confused by both Near (the app) and the way 'gifts' and 'goodies' work.

For example: Super Stardust HD tells me "there's a gift ready to be send from Near"... but I can't manually select and send it to friends... it seems that it's sending out gifts by itself to my friends and random people I've encountered.

Vice versa, I'm also getting gifts from people that don't even know they sent it to me.

Isn't that kinda weird? If it's a setting, sure. But shouldn't the app ask you to send gifts first?
I'd rather select friends to send gifts to myself, instead of sending it out to all my friends!

I'm still very confused as to why it keeps showing 5-10 more people each day I scan, yet only shows up with the same 5-8 knuckleheads on the radar radius (which seems to keep decreasing in radius, used to be 10 now it's down to 3 miles).
How do you show those supposed 100+ people? How "near" are they really? Within 150 miles? I have no idea.

It tells you where you are. It doesn't tell you where the people you find on near are. Only their distance from you.

I could have sworn I was able to see street data for a person who came up in Near, but forgot how to get back to that menu.

Lol, I usually get >3000 here in Tokyo

Screens please.

Still with the "An error has occurred".

I think that is related with Uncharted gifts, because it happened just after i got two gifts that, when I tried to got them in the Black Market, didn't appeared. Then, neared stop working, and I'm still with data of yesterday.

I made a restore... and after I logged again, near updated and the two gifts appeared again. I got them, and stuck again.

I'm going to restore the Vita and try to not get the gifts, to see if this fix the problem...

Edit: Don't work at all. After the restore settings, still with the "An error has ocurred". No gifts or any new information from near. We'll have to wait for an update :(

Edit2: Ok, using "restore vita system" you fix the error, but it delete all the internal data, so the historic of near seems lost. At least it's working again.

Edit3: Now I have another problem. Vita say that I'm not sharing my online ID, even if I allow to share it :(

Oni Jazar

So is the Uncharted black market completely automatic or can you initiate a trade in any way? I've gotten one card from Chubigans but I take it that's something that just happens without any user intervention? I don't understand and I need more cards.

So is the Uncharted black market completely automatic or can you initiate a trade in any way? I've gotten one card from Chubigans but I take it that's something that just happens without any user intervention? I don't understand and I need more cards.

Automatic. You only select what kind of gift you actively search and when you find people that has any item that you don't have of that cathegory, they auto-gift to you.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I'll be back... :)

pixelbox

The near numbers seem fishy. Why everytime i update in my house, it goes up by 3 people . What, 3 people are buying Vitas a hour?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Traveling to Montreal on Thursday. Going to see how near operates! :D

It's funny since I think everyone here does this too. At least knowing I have 3G helps me a lot. I've seen numbers increasing in several regions I track too. I've had around 15 gifts but none of them for games I have.

It's funny since I think everyone here does this too. At least knowing I have 3G helps me a lot. I've seen numbers increasing in several regions I track too. I've had around 15 gifts but none of them for games I have.

it's time to buy those games.

EDIT: just got 2 more games good. 1 for modnation racer and hustle kings.

Twinduct

hehe travelling to Namibia (Drive from Johannesburg to Swartkop, like a 26 hour drive) at the end of march. Near is gonna be fun! ... Here's hoping T@g comes out before then.

Kurdel

Banned
Near still doesn't work for me.

I put my MAC adress in Skyhook 5 days ago, and still nothing... "An error has occured" ...

Oppo

I had a peek at near this morning and it said there were 75 people around me playing within 1.0 km, and I was like it's 9:30am on a Tuesday in a residential neighbourhood, you have got to be joking....

patsu

I had a peek at near this morning and it said there were 75 people around me playing within 1.0 km, and I was like it's 9:30am on a Tuesday in a residential neighbourhood, you have got to be joking....

The data is collected over a time period. You can click on them to see when they "checked in" I think.

Oppo

The data is collected over a time period. You can click on them to see when they "checked in" I think.

ah, that makes more sense. at any rate, lots more hits than I would have expected. I haven't taken the thing anywhere yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can someone explain the Near gifts for me? Like for Super Stardust, i have gotten some gifts that unlocks soundtracks. But is it impossible to unlock these soundtracks without getting the Near gifts?

I also have gotten notice in Super Stardust that says something like "new gifts are now available for upload to Near", but how do i upload these?

patsu

I'm still very confused as to why it keeps showing 5-10 more people each day I scan, yet only shows up with the same 5-8 knuckleheads on the radar radius (which seems to keep decreasing in radius, used to be 10 now it's down to 3 miles).
How do you show those supposed 100+ people? How "near" are they really? Within 150 miles? I have no idea.

I don't have the "X new players everyday" problem. My guess is it's a bug that crop up under specific conditions. e.g. If their Near setting files are corrupted, users may end up with a new anonymous id every time they check in (Online id sharing is off by default). This is pure guess work on my part.

I could have sworn I was able to see street data for a person who came up in Near, but forgot how to get back to that menu.

Screens please.

Yes, if you have passed/met a Vita user at a close enough distance *and* time, they will be flagged as an "encountered player". When you look at their gamer cards, click on the Near tab, it will show the street where you encountered him/her, together with other specs like Gamer Match rating.

The easiest way to see this is to go to the Discoveries area, and click on the people under "encountered players" button.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Remember though that this could be 16 people spread over 10 days since either they were last there, or last did a Near scan. Click on their avatar and it will give you the time and date they were last logged.

What if it was 2 people an hour before?

Top Bottom