• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch confirmed to have motion controls [Up: Waggle, not gyro]

Mr. Koizumi is clearly ripping and tearing on the go

DMgcCiZX4AEExVY.jpg

nampad

I don't feel like motion controls work well with the fast gameplay of Doom.

Anyway, seems like gyro aiming is the new hot shit for a lot of people.

Lots of people seem to have missed the OP update. No gyro aiming a la Splatoon.

Errr.. maybe I wasn't clear. This was the statement they made while the media was playing the original demo, and when there was no "motion controls" option in the settings menu.

That being different now suggests they've changed it to include gyro controls.

Gyro + analog is much faster and more responsive than analog alone, so I don't really get this complaint. Since it's very fast and fluid gameplay gyro assist will only make it easier to aim.

deleted

Regardless of motion controls I would like to see the other control schemes. I hate to click the sticks that often, hopefully there's a better layout for me.

PetrCobra

If this is indeed motion control aiming and not some other, minor motion control shenanigans, and if they don't screw it up, I'm going to have to buy this. Damn you, Id.

tsundoku

This is a great post

Works incredibly well for Salmon Run in Splatoon which has some extremely quick enemies.

Everything in Salmon run moves really slowly and that's a gamemode about resource management but mostly idiotic personnel management. And a tutorial mode to teach you to try other weapons.

Gyro aiming does work fantastically in multiplayer deathmatch modes in the rest of Splatoon's online though, which might more closely resemble the kind of experience you'll have in DOOM

mazillion

What the fuck is wrong with you the BOTW motion is so awful on both consoles

I prefer to play in handheld so always being able to keep the screen pointed at my face is better. In splatoon you have to tilt the device up or down away from your face just to look up or down. I'd much rather just use the analog to aim up or down and the gyro for fine tuning from there.

Everything in Salmon run moves really slowly and that's a gamemode about resource management but mostly idiotic personnel management. And a tutorial mode to teach you to try other weapons.

Gyro aiming does work fantastically in multiplayer deathmatch modes in the rest of Splatoon's online though, which might more closely resemble the kind of experience you'll have in DOOM

You're kidding? There are some crazy fast enemies in Salmon Run. 200% is insane with these fellas:
300px-Goldie.jpg

Nabs

Err, and dual analog does? I played through DOOM on PC with Gyro Controls and it was absolutely perfect.

prag16

Banned
If this means gyro aiming will push me towards buying this on day 1.

Don't have a Switch yet, but gyro aiming would put this on my radar for when I do.

However at this point I'm assuming this just means some kind of shitty gesture based melee or glory kills, until proven otherwise. Hope I'm wrong.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Don't have a Switch yet, but gyro aiming would put this on my radar for when I do.

However at this point I'm assuming this just means some kind of shitty gesture based melee or glory kills, until proven otherwise. Hope I'm wrong.
Pretty sure that's what it is.

What the fuck is wrong with you the BOTW motion is so awful on both consoles

...huh? What did BotW do so differently for you that you didn't like it?

>deathmatch modes
Ah, YOU are my teammate who never seems to play the actual damn objective!
/s

nampad

Have you played any games that use gyro aiming? Because this doesn't make sense unless you simply haven't

I am playing Zelda: BOTW right now and have played a lot of other games with motion controls before like Killzone: Mercenaries.

At the latter, I really enjoyed the motion controls in the single player where I had more time to take my shots. When I used it in multiplayer, where I had to take shots fast and consistently, I performed way worse with the gyro aim.

Err, and dual analog does? I played through DOOM on PC with Gyro Controls and it was absolutely perfect.

From my experience, yes. Not as good as KB/M of course though.

renzolama

No way. Guaranteed that within an hour I would get so keyed up with DOOM's music/gameplay that I'd end up accidentally throwing the Switch across the room during my violent motion-controlling.

Dammit.

Way to go from "Not interested, played it on ps4 already" to "Yes! Day 1! I love gyro controls!" and to "I'm so disappointed"

That motion controls option was in the first preview build journalists saw last month. 99 percent sure the only thing it does is let you shake the right JoyCon to do melee attacks and Glory Kills. I played the game with the motion controls setting on and that's all it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZqoNEZqXuc

Oh damn, I'll add that to the OP. Do you have any footage of that option in the settings menu? I recall seeing the options menu from back then but no option for motion controls.

That would be weird if you saw it in that demo but other footage didn't have it.

Top Bottom