• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
But what's the point of 53 more MHz when they have the infinite power of the cloud? Games are already 600% more powerful graphix.

Have you played inFamous games before? The gameplay is among the best in the industry and its what fans of the series are looking forward to the most. The visuals are just a nice bonus.

Infamous 2 was incredibly boring after a while. I really like the games and did everything I could possibly muster in both but I wouldnt say they were among the best in the industry. They try, which is a lot better than most devs, but fall short in the first 2. Second son looks like the best next gen game announced for me tho.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not seeing why this game is getting fluffed so much here. It looks like a solid game but nothing groundbreaking.

The graphics are cool but the gameplay looks average.

And you've seen more than 5 minutes of gameplay from an early build? Please gtfo lol...

I'm also noticing a trend as well. Except this is a trend of confirmation bias and persecution complex that comes out every time realism is in brought into a discussion about Xbone. Nobody is picking on Xbone.

Dude did you even see that thread yesterday about the Major Nelson blog post? It was full of shitposts and trolling for 3 pages until people were actually able to discuss the content of the article. A mod had to close it and warn people against that kind of behavior. It isn't confirmation bias, its confirmation.

Dlacy13g

Maybe because Infamous 1 and 2 were great. I agree, from what we have seen (of which has been very little and early work) it looks okay, however people like Infamous.

Wait...why is there some prolonged Infamous discussion in a thread about the Xbox One GPU getting a bump?

On point... Any increases pre-launch are certainly a good thing in my opinion. Once these machines are released I don't think we see any kind of future bumps so its now or never for this box.

Is that gameplay? It looks significantly better than the gameplay clips I've seen (which still look pretty damn good, but suffer from some issues, especially when the view distance increases).

After seeing the Deep Downgrade, I wouldn't trust anything you see that isn't proven gameplay with utmost certainty.

ethomaz

Banned
This is the time where we've gone from the theory of how the hardware works - what do we think the yield is going to look like, what is the thermal envelope, how do things come together - to really having them in our hands. That's the time where you start tweaking the knobs. Either your theory was right dead on, or you were a little too conservative, or you were a little too aggressive. It's actually been really good news for us, and an example of that is we've tweaked up the clock speed on our GPU from 800MHz to 853MHz.
That is a bit late to make these tweaking in the hardware? I mean... after E3 is June/July to launch in November.

When they will start to manufacture the Xbone to launch? August? September?

Seems like they are a little late in the hardware development.

MoneyHats

Banned
Difference is now 40%.

50% difference translated to real world gains of up to 24% in actual game framerate, so a game running 40fps on XBO is running 49.6fps on PS4 with identical settings (According to Digital Foundry)

50% compute - 24% framerate difference
40% compute - X framerate difference

X = 19.2% framerate gains over XBO

So the same game running 40fps on XBO will run 47.7 fps on PS4... fuzzy math but in the end the difference between XBO and PS4 has shrunk a bit. Tweak shadows, lod or AA and devs can easily equalize the framerate with minimal loss is visual.

Is that gameplay? It looks significantly better than the gameplay clips I've seen (which still look pretty damn good, but suffer from some issues, especially when the view distance increases).

Also, what is it doing in a thread about the Xbox 1 GPU speed? LOL.

It's an example of what will now be possible on the Xbox One thanks to the extra 53MHz.

MMaRsu

Banned
Doesn't matter how well the game mechanics are if the world is boring and lifeless and the missions are repetive. Crackdown has a more interesting world and better gameplay mechanics IMO

Crackdown? Lol talk about a repetitive game with a dead ass lifeless world. And I LOVED Crackdown. Your post is factually wrong.

Cidd

ib2pFqqoYTh8AY.gif

Someone put Bish face on that and BANNED!!! at the explosion and we got a keeper.

iceatcs

That's, like, around 2 fps increase on average? It's not a bad thing, of course, assuming that they managed to do this while keeping it cool.
Maybe, if it is only overclock the GPU clock. We might see less than 6% increasing performance in overall.
If you want near 100% effective, you will need overclock memory clock too.

Console could be different.

SMZC

Wouldn't the main appeal be exclusives? Also wouldn't you say the casual market is much greater than the hardcore?

I guess for some people they are. Personally, I really don't care too much neither about Sony's first party studios nor about Microsoft's. So, I'm choosing the console that (I think) will be superior for third party games, which are the ones that interest me the most.

As for the casual market, sure. You can make a console and then decide whether to market it more for the casual or the hardcore player. Problem is, if you try to focus on one, you are always going to compromise on the other. Focusing on the two is usually not a good idea (see the Wii U). There's also the problem of the casual market's unpredictability. If you succeed at grabbing said market, you are going to be showering in gold (ask Nintendo with the original Wii). The problem is, no one quite knows how to grab the casual market. Those who do grab it seem to do it only by fluke.

Microsoft has obviously sacrificed a part of the hardcore market in order to attempt to grab a bigger portion of the casual one. Only time will tell if sacrificing a portion of their hardcore fanbase will be worth it in the end. Personally, I don't think it will be. Xbox 360 was successful precisely because it was associated with the hardcore. To drop that image that your product has only to attempt success at a completely different market is foolish.

I'm also noticing a trend as well. Except this is a trend of confirmation bias and persecution complex that comes out every time realism is in brought into a discussion about Xbone. Nobody is picking on Xbone.

Give me a break. The last Major Nelson thread had to be closed and then restarted with a mod warning attached because it was filled with so much nonsense. Is that explained by a "persecution complex?"

And are you actually advocating that people should come into every Xbone discussion and shit up the thread? That sure sounds like what you're suggesting.

In regards to this topic, the items in the podcast are all unquestionably good things, whether they are minor or not. What additional "realism" needs to brought in here?

stryke

50% difference translated to real world gains of up to 24% in actual game framerate, so a game running 40fps on XBO is running 49.6fps on PS4 with identical settings (According to Digital Foundry)

So the same game running 40fps on XBO will run 47.7 fps on PS4... fuzzy math but in the end the difference between XBO and PS4 has shrunk a bit. Tweak shadows, lod or AA and devs can easily equalize the framerate with minimal loss is visual.

yeah, cos that DF article was totally accurate.

Metfanant

good news across the board really...any increase in hardware specs is a win for gamers...not even sure if a 53mhz increase is anything we would even notice when it comes to real world performance...but as long as they don't feel reliability will take a hit then im all for it!

couple of things

- 53 seems like a weird number
- I wonder why not just a nice even 50?
- why stop at 53? is that the limit before they have started to see issues? And, if thats the case was it a good idea to push to the "limit?" If not, then why not 75? or even 100?​

- Does somewhat scream desperation to me
- We've heard all along that "specs dont matter," the cloud gives us such a boost in performance, etc...etc...etc...

yet here we are the FIRST time they seemingly have ANYTHING on the hardware front where they can put a check on their side of the chart as "better" they come out and start talking about it...just seems interesting...totally could be reading between the lines but it seems to me like as has been speculated they dont want to talk specs because they know the Xbone is inferior...but now that they can hang a 53mhz "lead" on GPU clock speed on the wall its cool to talk about specs....hmmm....​

I will take a ban bet that the final product doesn't look as good as that.

(not permaban though)

Ban bets aren't allowed anymore.

Wtf i dont get it, we havent seen shit except for some screens from probably alpha footage.
Are most gaffers so ignorant ?

Edit: was reply to your quote

There is gameplay footage of that gif, but maybe i'm not understanding your post correctly.
Anyways, infamous talk has no place in this thread, so i'm gonna stop replying about off-topic stuff.

rouken

Nobody? You may have not notice it because you're on the other side of the fence but people are now constantly throwing shit on MS and Nintendo on a daily basis.

I hope you can also remember a recent thread about xbone that has to be restarted because of all the negative discussion that took place when the news was kind of good. And what people are arguing is not even about the news itself but is about Major Nelson.

And now here we are at an Xbone thread again, where Infamous gifs are posted, people not buying the console are concerned about the production of xbones for release and a even a hint of good news about the console is met with negative spinning just so you guys can go to sleep soundly at night.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Give me a break. The last Major Nelson thread had to be closed and then restarted with a mod warning attached because it was filled with so much nonsense. Is that explained by a "persecution complex?"

And are you actually advocating that people should come into every Xbone discussion and shit up the thread? That sure sounds like what you're suggesting.

In regards to this topic, the items in the podcast are all unquestionably good things, whether they are minor or not. What additional "realism" needs to brought in here?

No, I'm not suggesting anything but thank you for putting words in my mouth. Considering we had 3 THREADS of trolling and shitposting about the PS4's unannounced RAM allocation, forgive me if I'm not gelling with this notion of bias people are perceiving. As for this thread, any upgrade at this point is a step in the right direction for MS but lets not act like people are ready to pounce on the first person who gives bad news eg. Cboat.

Biker19

Banned
Announcing an upgrade when you haven't announced your specs in the first place? lol

Yeah, no doubt. It's just damage control from MS.

Hey guys, Microsoft keeps improving their system with changes left and right. You know what this means? It's an embarrassment. It shows they have no confidence in their product. They have no backbone. Why are they bending over for the masses?

Or maybe it's good for all gamers?

It just means that Microsoft knew that they screwed up with both the consumers along with the hardware inside of their console & are now trying to backpedal on almost everything.

SMZC

You can't even compare the 2. There are nearly endless amounts of things to do the GTA games without touching the story. Not to mention, the city's feel a living breathing world in the GTA games, while you can't say the same in games like infamous and prototype

Infamous is far from GTA in terms of what's going on in the City imo. At least the first. Not sure if part 2 was more GTA, but I think there's a huge difference between messing around in GTA with all the mini games and online aspect of the game over messing around running around in Infamous.

But that's just me.

Maybe you can do more things in GTA V (we don't really know enough about Second Son to compare them just yet), but its take on the open world genre, what with the superpowers and all, differs greatly from GTA's. It offers something that GTA doesn't have, even if the latter ends up being the better game, but the two of them are still about giving the player freedom. That's what it boils down to.

onQ123

Last minute clock speed bumps trigger a red flag to me. You can't just increase it without taking a hit on hardware reliability. Microsoft should have learned their lesson from the 360.

Xbox One & PS4 are designed to be really quiet & low powered I'm sure they both have room to play with when it come to the clock speed they are far from pushing the limits like the Xbox 360 & PS3 was when they came out & they are GPU's with almost the same specs with clock speeds of 900MHz & 1GHz.

i-Lo

I will take a ban bet that the final product doesn't look as good as that.

(not permaban though)

Off Topic: Please piss off with this trolling nonsense. While I certainly don't feel like feeding a troll like yourself, top stop this malarkey, here's the vid link.

Metfanant

Nobody? You may have not notice it because you're on the other side of the fence but people are now constantly throwing shit on MS and Nintendo on a daily basis.

I hope you can also remember a recent thread about xbone that has to be restarted because of all the negative discussion that took place when the news was kind of good. And what people are arguing is not even about the news itself but is about Major Nelson.

And now here we are at an Xbone thread again, where Infamous gifs are posted, people not buying the console are concerned about the production of xbones for release and a even a hint of good news about the console is met with negative spinning just so you guys can go to sleep soundly at night.

i think in complete fairness there is a little bit of the old "can dish it out, but cant take it" going on here...

there was a time when Sony, and the PS3 were being absolutely LAMBASTED for the price point, no games, crappy ports, worthless PSN...etc..you name it Sony couldn't do anything right...

nobody from "the other side of the fence" wanted to hear about "well its $600 but stand alone Blu-ray players cost $900." nobody wanted to hear "the devs need time, the hardware is complicated." Didn't want to here "but the PSN is FREE!"

there was easily as much anti-PS3/Sony crap being flung around back in 2006/2007 as there is now...I think Xbox "fanboys" simply need to take a step back and remember some of the things they have been yapping about for this entire current generation and then deal with the fact that the tables have seemingly turned to Sony's favor with this generation...hopefully it can convince them that there is no point in being a fanboy...

this also holds true for Sony fanboys...they should remember what it was like to CONSTANTLY have to defend their system of choice at every turn

WolvenOne

Well, it helps but not much. On my PC, OC'ing my GPU 50mhz only seems to make 1-3FPS difference. I usually have to go closer to 100mhz to get a performance increase that at all worth the trouble.

Yoday

792.gif

No, I'm not suggesting anything but thank you for putting words in my mouth. Considering we had 3 THREADS of trolling and shitposting about the PS4's unannounced RAM allocation, forgive me if I'm not gelling with this notion of bias people are perceiving. As for this thread, any upgrade at this point is a step in the right direction for MS but lets not act like people are ready to pounce on the first person who gives bad news eg. Cboat.

You honestly don't see that NeoGAF is more or less in line with every single online poll ever about PS4 vs Xbone?

Really?

All these threads deflect from the possibility of sequel-itis coming our way.

We should be having threads and twitter hashtags for more new and different IPs.

We're headlining a new generation with games that have had 3 or 4 versions in the previous generation.

Why is it? I like him, reminds me of Dante from the first dmc. I think a cocky character with some personality is better suited for the infamous series than that dry guy Cole.
Now he was an example of horrible character design.

From the beanie to the skinny jeans, I just hate it. Hate it so much that is makes the new Dante from DMC look good.

bGanci

Banned
I guess for some people they are. Personally, I really don't care too much neither about Sony's first party studios nor about Microsoft's. So, I'm choosing the console that (I think) will be superior for third party games, which are the ones that interest me the most.

As for the casual market, sure. You can make a console and then decide whether to market it more for the casual or the hardcore player. Problem is, if you try to focus on one, you are always going to compromise on the other. Focusing on the two is usually not a good idea (see the Wii U). There's also the problem of the casual market's unpredictability. If you succeed at grabbing said market, you are going to be showering in gold (ask Nintendo with the original Wii). The problem is, no one quite knows how to grab the casual market. Those who do grab it seem to do it only by fluke.

Microsoft has obviously sacrificed a part of the hardcore market in order to attempt to grab a bigger portion of the casual one. Only time will tell if sacrificing a portion of their hardcore fanbase will be worth it in the end. Personally, I don't think it will be. Xbox 360 was successful precisely because it was associated with the hardcore. To drop that image that your product has only to attempt success at a completely different market is foolish.
What makes you say Microsoft sacrificed part of the hardcore fan base? I feel like they have successfully appealed to both markets?

You honestly don't see that NeoGAF is more or less in line with every single online poll ever about PS4 vs Xbone?

Really?
I feel like this got far away from the original point about a trend of gaf saying good news about xbox one is actually bad news.

Now you are talking about what preferences people have.

gaming_noob

Most of the people that you perceive to have "persecution complex" ....were they the ones trolling in those 3 threads?

The term should not be thrown around so callously (excuse me if this is not the right word; English as second language, etc). It's a serious mental condition brah.

A lot of people aren't making final decisions until launch. Nothing really matters at all until launch for a ton of people.

Which is how it should be. Who cares about the bump lets see how the games perform day one on both systems.

Really?

Might want to chill a bit bro.

SMZC

What makes you say Microsoft sacrificed part of the hardcore fan base? I feel like they have successfully appealed to both markets?

Like I said, they are forcing a lot of hardcore gamers to pay an extra $100 for something that they don't want. They also made the Xbone's specs purposefully inferior in order to be able to pack in Kinect without having an absolutely insane launching price. Those are sacrifices. They are some of the several reasons why we have seen people jumping ship from Microsoft and into the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom