• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ive never actually seen anyone say that tho

Rizzi

Turn-Based Strategy is outdated and archaic. Good that it's done away with by everybody nowadays that the technical limitations are overcome. Who just wants to stand around and see animations happening. instead of being immersive

a4ZvAwN.png

ObS1c5a.png

Dang, still that many people playing at once? That's dope.

+ little surprise hidden deep in EULA
DKrKaIFXUAE6yLa.jpg

I'm not surprised Squeenix would put Denuvo in one of its games. I'm more surprised that they happen to put it on this extremely niche game that is overpriced. I mean, you're not gonna lose any first day sales on this game. I don't think anyone is going to clear their schedule so they can crack this on day one.

madjoki

There have been several instances where developers have put out such a statement and it has been bull. As a simple example if memory serves, Ori devs did something similar and it was entirely their mistake.

On the other hand you have the devs that are just super cool and honest about it. I think one devolver game and Endless Space 2, they just said "whoops" and "get it while its hot" as they fixed the pricing

Yeah, I don't entirely buy it. Seems like someone just selected wrong price while updating price for new currencies.

We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening!

"We even tell Atlus Japan, who tell us to fuck off, so your feedback is heard!"

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Longdark?

Hellblade?

Whut...

I wouldn't call Hellblade a horrorgame per se, but it definitely features a good bunch of horror moments

I paint horror very broadly, Hellblade isn't straight-up horror but has a lot of psychological-horror moments. Long Dark is a survival game, but one focused on atmosphere, low supplies, and harsh conditions after a natural disaster (IE, horror in a sort of similar way that the Disaster series is often considered horror).

Horror I view as the opposite side of comedy, it can be attached to any other genre. There are types of games that are typical horror or more what people think of with horror, but I include games with stronger elements to be under horror games even if they are also other things.

I paint horror very broadly, Hellblade isn't straight-up horror but has a lot of psychological-horror moments. Long Dark is a survival game, but one focused on atmosphere, low supplies, and harsh conditions after a natural disaster (IE, horror in a sort of similar way that the Disaster series is often considered horror).

Horror I view as the opposite side of comedy, it can be attached to any other genre. There are types of games that are typical horror or more what people think of with horror, but I include games with stronger elements to be under horror games even if they are also other things.

Yeah, horror is a lot broader than people think. A game doesn't need to be a jumpscareathon to be horror.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Made up quotes from Atlus PR said:
PC Players: We love Japanese Games! Look at the sales of games like Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Nier: Automata, and Trails in the Sky! We also love RPGs! Look at the sales of things like The Witcher 3, Diablo III, Divinity Original Sin 2, the Final Fantasy Ports, and more. Release your games on PC and people would buy them!

Atlus: Making money on the PC? LOL. NOT A CHANCE. Let's DMCA an emulator that was probably using our logos at bit too much!

PC Players: :,(

So yeah basically Atlus hasn't changed their stance at all, has no intention of ever considering another market, and continue to live with their fingers in their ears. Fun times.

Steam Guard is so annoying given it signs me out of the website multiple times a day even when I ask to be signed in, or anytime I buy something.

Steam Guard is so annoying given it signs me out of the website multiple times a day even when I ask to be signed in, or anytime I buy something.

The worst, this morning I was on here complaining asking if it was just me and it took me an hour to put some cards on the marketplace.

Nzyme32

Bought DOS2 today and played for an hour. No idea where I will pull hours to actually finish this though

Gotta get disciplined with how you play I guess. I have the same problem, but I will be settling on only trying to complete one game at a time and not leaving them for so long that I have to feel obliged to start over as I tend to do with these kind of games. PoE is my first target, then DoS, then likely to PoE2 and then DoS2, then Planescape Torment and Tides of Numenera

sadblob

banner-931.jpg

Finished Original Sin 2. Overall I think it's one of the best games I've ever played, and almost the best RPG. It takes everything OS1 did, and does it even better. I'm sure you've all read what's good about the game so I'll list the stuff I didn't like:

-Bugs: I think one in every 7 or 8 quests is bugged, as in you do the stuff and the game does not acknowledges it, or for some reason the quest doesn't end and it stays open in your journal. Minor spoilers
you find some guys turned into animals and receive a quest to cure them. After you do it the quest is still open. Even if you find the person responsible and kill it, nothing happens.
Some prisoners have been missing, you find them but for some reason you can't tell the NPC that's looking for them.
Also for the ending mild spoilers I guess
you make a choice that decides who do you fight, one of the options is bugged and nothing happens, you have to attack manually to enter combat and in my case it resulted in the same battle as the other choice.

-Consequences: it feels like your actions are not that important. In the first part of the game light spoilers
you are imprisoned, you can escape and kill all the guards but not one NPC reacts to this, you get the same responses as before.
in the last act very minor spoilers
you find a dog that tells you that's sad because someone threw his playing ball away, you can find it nearby but the dog doesn't react at all.
. I guess maybe it's a lot to ask for, but it kinda breaks the immersion.

-Combat balance: some builds are ridiculously OP (ranger, summoning, shield tank) and sort of makes it so that other builds are not that attractive. Of course you can use almost everything so it's nitpicking, but a little more balance would've been nice.

I think the bug and the balance can (and will) be addressed in the future so I'm not too worried about it. I want to do another playthrough with the companions I didn't choose, but I'll wait until this is fixed.

To summarize, if you like RPGs you have to play this game, it's simply one of the best of all time. Larian has made an amazing job and I hope they continue making successful games.

Shahadan

I've played the new Danganronpa for like an hour and I feel I'm too old for this shit.
Also 5 monokumas are way too much and the artstyle gets worse with each entry.

Bleh, I'll probably get it refunded

Arulan

I can't stop playing Divinity: Original SIn 2. And when I'm not playing, I'm thinking about it.

This game gives real meaning to freedom for the player. Freedom isn't just being able to wander around a world map. It isn't being restricted to linear quest design via quest markers, following an overly-balanced character progression path, or designing out any possible source of frustration because the developers don't trust the player to find their own way through it. This game allows you to do almost anything you want within the basic mechanical rules. If you want to bring barrels with you and create a wall to take cover from a ranger, why not? Exploration, character progression, and quest design all follow this rule. The game respects your ability to make your own (fun) choices.

Salsa

so like, finishing Metroid Samus returns made me wanna replay Ori, which I never finished

I feel like I complained about this before but what am I supposed to do with this definitive edition shit

I own the original game. I have no discount for the definitive Ed. (I think I did with a voucher but it was timed? lol)

I'm not gonna pay $20 again, so this weird ass decision is straight up preventing me from playing a game I own

is this just hella dumb or am I

so like, finishing Metroid Samus returns made me wanna replay Ori, which I never finished

I feel like I complained about this before but what am I supposed to do with this definitive edition shit

I own the original game. I have no discount for the definitive Ed. (I think I did with a voucher but it was timed? lol)

I'm not gonna pay $20 again, so this weird ass decision is straight up preventing me from playing a game I own

is this just hella dumb or am I

Call me cheap but I'm just waiting till they make it free for Ori owners. Not paying even $5 for the same game.

Salsa

Call me cheap but I'm just waiting till they make it free for Ori owners. Not paying even $5 for the same game.

I mean that's what im saying basically. I'd be fine with $5 but the fact that I have to rebuy the thing is just.. baffling?

and like I said, if they want people to play their game they're promoting the opposite. I have a version of it that I paid full price for and now I just don't want to play it cause there's a "better" version out there which I have to wholly repurchase

what the hell is this

Rizzi

So! I played some of Fortnite's BR mode.
I think it's more fun than pubg. The traps and building stuff seems fun in a chaotic sort of way.
Probably helps that it doesn't look hideously bland, and actually runs well.

Turn-Based Strategy is outdated and archaic. Good that it's done away with by everybody nowadays that the technical limitations are overcome. Who just wants to stand around and see animations happening. instead of being immersive

a4ZvAwN.png

ObS1c5a.png

I think I found out that people who say that aren't actually RPG fans. If you take a look at the various GAF essential RPG threads, there are barely any action RPGs on the top 50. The only highlights on action RPGs are Souls, Mass Effect, and Dragon's Dogma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom