• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Dashboard Leak - Version 2

Lunzio

This is starting to make its rounds around other gaming sites, and it feels so much like a controlled leak...

That being said, I like the snappiness, but I'm not 100% for Metro. It's not terrible, but it's not terribly appealing to me either.

Daffy Duck

As someone mentioned before.. No ads yet. Where do you guys think they will go? Mayberry under that what's new section? Also I hope there is more variance in the size you can make the tiles lik in win 8.1

Ads have been pushed from tier 0. They appear in lower tiers. I'm sure it was Nelson who said this, I remember reading it just not sure who said it.

I will never use it for bing, ever.

You downright refuse to use a search bar on your console? Why? It's a genuinely efficient way of navigating the store and your library. Why go digging when you can say/type "Xbox Bing Fez" and be brought to the download/play button instantaneously?

RedAssedApe

Banned
You're seriously going to navigate the dashboard with your iPad? I highly doubt that. I highly doubt anyone will do that.

Sounds so convoluted when you can just use your controller or the unruly Kinect.

Second screen is faster for some apps simply because of the touch interface. For example, YouTube has the functionality where you can link your tablet or mobile and when you play a video on it, you press a button to opt to view it on your tv instead.

Don't have a kinect though so this might be neglible if it handles voice recognition for searching well.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
So with smart glass , will the ui picture be streamed to your device or will it just be like a blank canvas and still have to look at your tv while swiping on your device?

Alpende

Not a fan of the Windows 8 interface. It's cool that you can do stuff while waiting for a match or something. But that's something I'm probably not going to use, I don't think it's possible to do something productive while waiting for 2 mins.

KoopaTheCasual

damn, the problem i have is, i use my xbox to play video games, not do 99% of the shit i saw on the UI.

I will never use it for bing, ever.

That was the funniest thing about this 'leak'. Casually promoting Bing, instead of anything else, lol. My gut is telling me this is definitely not a conventional leak, but an honest attempt by MS to show how the UI really works, no strings attached, so we won't see hundreds of "this is not real time!" comments. To have playable software, a finalized XB1, and understanding of current level of progress of both games and OS, he must have connections to MS, and he wouldn't be stupid enough to upload a video with his face and name on youtube. Regardless, I admire MS trying to really hit home the "look, our UI is really functional" message. For that alone, I commend this video.

On topic of the actual UI, I can't say I'm a fan of metro on desktops at all. Also, the individual icons are way too big. Seems like a waste of space. However, apart from the aesthetics, I really like how smoothly it ran. Still wish they'd scale down the size of the icons down considerably.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
A shame that the guy didn't go into the system preferences.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The video is still up so MS either released this or at least are ok with it.

Isn't that the way they've designed it? To allow you to do multiple things at the same time?

Yes, but we don't know if you can do everything while playing a game/watching a movie/etc. that you can do just from the dash. I am just saying we still have to wait to know the limits of the system.

watership

And you think Metro is the reason?

My PS3 and 360 were so a head of the time then. :p

This is a little different I think. You don't have full access to the dash while a game plays. Both the ps3 and 360 have a mini dash that needs to exit fully out of the game to get to some features.

rocK`

Banned
You downright refuse to use a search bar on your console? Why? It's a genuinely efficient way of navigating the store and your library. Why go digging when you can say/type "Xbox Bing Fez" and be brought to the download/play button instantaneously?

Same reason I prefer to use touch tone rather than speaking instructions. the amount of work required to provide clear instructions and waiting for feedback that my instructions werent clear is more time than me going to look for Fez in games.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Same reason I prefer to use touch tone rather than speaking instructions. the amount of work required to provide clear instructions and waiting for feedback that my instructions werent clear is more time than me going to look for Fez in games.

I'd disagree here. Saying "Xbox, Bing, Fez" gets me to Fez a good 45 seconds faster than searching through the A-Z listing inside the games store.

You're alone on that one. Backing out into the dashboard is not multi-tasking. Looking at the dashboard is not a task. Now if he had accessed another app, like Bing, then that would be multi-tasking.

In terms of a game console it is. running the dash and running a game were two almost separate things as you had to stop one in order to run the other. Now you can do both.

nillapuddin

So with smart glass , will the ui picture be streamed to your device or will it just be like a blank canvas and still have to look at your tv while swiping on your device?

In the article last week I believe they said it would mirror the dashboard while out of game

FINALBOSS

Banned
Have they actually live demoed the snapping for stuff like Skype since the initial reveal?

Not that I can recall.

In terms of a game console it is. running the dash and running a game were two almost separate things as you had to stop one in order to run the other. Now you can do both.

Really? Cause I could hit the PS button on my controller and bring up the XMB. I could press the guide button on my 360 and bring up the mini dash.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I like avatars because the ones that come as preorder bonuses can be sold on eBay to cover a percentage of your purchase lol. Cag in full effect

You assume that navigating through voice commands will be a difficult task? You don't think you're making a snap judgement at all?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I hope that bit of lag between hitting the button and the game minimizing/maximizing is fixed. I want that to be seamless.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
That was the funniest thing about this 'leak'. Casually promoting Bing, instead of anything else, lol. My gut is telling me this is definitely not a conventional leak, but an honest attempt by MS to show how the UI really works, no strings attached, so we won't see hundreds of "this is not real time!" comments. To have playable software, a finalized XB1, and understanding of current level of progress of both games and OS, he must have connections to MS, and he wouldn't be stupid enough to upload a video with his face and name on youtube. Regardless, I admire MS trying to really hit home the "look, our UI is really functional" message. For that alone, I commend this video.

On topic of the actual UI, I can't say I'm a fan of metro on desktops at all. Also, the individual icons are way too big. Seems like a waste of space. However, apart from the aesthetics, I really like how smoothly it ran. Still wish they'd scale down the size of the icons down considerably.

This is not a controlled leak, what? Having the guy saying its "buggy" on the video lol

Ricky_R

I'm not a fan of Metro in Windows 8, but I think it looks nice here. I also think this design fits much better with a gaming console.

*Thumbs up*

My hope is the pins are totally customizable like W8 or WP8 and I'll be happy as hell.

Also people complaining about it looking like W8?!?!?! It's a W8 Device lol.

Stimpack

Lets be fair though, this is a random leak, not a well thought out x1 dash reveal displaying its potential :)

Eh, don't confuse me with most people who are just out to bash Xbox/Microsoft. I'm not saying it can't, I was just saying that backing to the dashboard isn't multi-tasking.

I hope that bit of lag between hitting the button and the game minimizing/maximizing is fixed. I want that to be seamless.

Totally, at PAX playing Ryse was exacerbating, you had to time counters and attacks akwardly because of input lag. That may have been why 50+% of Xbox games were running on PC at PAX lol.

That's not so bad. I was expecting it to be a screen where you put in your credit card information, and you buy game time with minutes. This is really a much better direction for Microsoft

Top Bottom