• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the fights in Mortal Kombat more memorble then the ones in MK:Annihilation?

Slayven

Everyone remembers Cage vs Scorpion and Liu Kang vs Reptile.

But if you put a gun to my head only thing i can remember from annihilation is Kang turning into a dragon. Shit I forgot Jax was in there and corny as fuck.

Hell i remember the live action tv show and cartoons that were pretty damn good more than annihilation.

Because the fights in Annihilation were terrible/happened in the blink of an eye so they could ram in every MK character in existence. (I'm Sub-Zero's brother! Ok well I'm leaving the movie now forever!)

That Scorpion/Johnny Cage fight was a good five minutes long if not more.

The fights in Annihilation had too much shitty CGI, or in the case of Jaxx, terrible props. The fights in the first film were at least by and large practical.

Because Annihilation was fucking awful and killed the film franchise dead

I do remember that mudfight though because Sonya was somehow worse at fighting than OG Sonya who had no martial arts experience at all

But if you put a gun to my head only thing i can remember from annihilation is Kang turning into a dragon. Shit I forgot Jax was in there and corny as fuck.

Hell i remember the live action tv show and cartoons that were pretty damn good more than annihilation.

The background music during the fights make it memorable imo.

The music for Liu Kang vs Reptile was great.

Ensoul

I was embarrassed to have taken my friends to see Annihilation.

I profusely apologized.

I loved Mortal Kombat (I know it was cheesy and all that but I was a huge MK fan at the time)

MKA was soooooo bad. It's no wonder just about none of the cast returned.

pbayne

I seem to remember they somewhat adhered to tournament rules in the first one at least for a while. So i guess the fights actually had tangible stakes maybe??? And they were slightly more grounded.

I have no earthly idea what they were fighting for in the second movie. Just remember it being a bunch of wacky bullshit.

The fights in the original MK were actually trying to be cheesy kung fu movie fights, with the odd special ability thrown in to up the stakes. Even Johnny Cage vs Goro is 'just' a fist fight.

Annihilation was comparatively just a spot fest.

I legit watched MK1 like every few weeks for the next two years leading up to MK2 since it's 1995 release, love it so much. Seeing MK2 in theaters...man talk about heart broken at that mess. :(

AAK

It was all about the tunes for me.

The first major fight involving Johnny, Sonya, and Lui against Shang Tsung's men had the main theme by Immortals playing. The soundtrack and energy during the Lui Kang vs Reptile fight was top tier. The music build up during the Scorpion and Johnny Cage fight before they entered the Nether Realm also did volumes in building the hype. The music did so much.

In Annihilation, the only tune I remember all that well was Baraka vs Lui Kang with Future Sound of London's "We Have Explosive" playing in the background. Other than that I draw a blank.

That's because the first movie was more like the game. You had closed off fighting between opponents that looked like a game stage. Scorpion and Subzero were very cool.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
She was pretty bad but they did an ok job of hiding it IMO

Also bonus points cause she karate chopped the shit out of some mook right in the neck

giphy.gif

SeanC

As bad as it was, I think you remember the first movie fights more because the characters and story were better. That gets you more invested.

Man, there has been reboot talk going around since the start of last year IIRC and I kinda want to see what would happen if they do it.

Lord Fagan

The first Mortal Kombat film is hallmarked by inspired direction, a worthy cast, and a marked respect for taking the source material seriously.

Annihilation was obviously intended to succeed it's predecessor, but since it lacks all those superior qualities mentioned above, people are more apt to actively repress the memory of their exposure to it.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the stars of Mortal Kombat, as far as I'm concerned. Both of the ninjas were powerful and mysterious in the first film. All the "ninjas" in Annihilation have shitty dialogue and go out like chumps. Gotta do it right. Gotta take it seriously.

Compbros

As a kid I watched MKA dozens of times because MK got me into games. Without looking literally anything up I'm gonna try and remember the fights.

Liu/Sub-zero vs. Scorpion?
Sonya vs. Mileena
Sonya/Jax vs. Cyrax....I think someone else was there too.
Raiden vs. Nameless henchmen
Liu vs. Kahn
Sindel vs. Kitana
Noob Saibot vs. Sonya/Jax....I feel like one of these were Ermac though.
Was Sheeva in this movie? I feel like she fought someone.
Jax vs. Motaro
Jade vs. Liu
Kinda Liu vs. Nightwolf
....Seriously, was Sheeva in this movie? I know rain was and got killed by Kahn early.

jwhit28

The framework of a tournament makes up for so many storytelling holes in why people are fighting and why weapons aren't being used.

Oscar

Yeah the only fight I remember in annihilation was Sonya/Jax vs Cyrax.

OG had some really memorable fights.

Cage vs Scorpion
Cage vs Goro
Kang vs Reptile
Kang vs Sub Zero

Top Bottom