• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Mike M

Nick N
"I don't know, I don't have much experience with logistics," Yanice says. "If I had to guess, if they were going to move it, they'd probably have it staged near the main gate, most likely on a cart or wagon of some sort. It may even be disguised somehow, if they were trying to keep it secret."

Her eyes widen as a thought occurs to her. "If your friend was captured, then my father undoubtedly knows about it. Even if we sold him on our story about discussing art, he's paranoid enough to assume you're here looking for her. He's almost certainly contacted his men to be on the lookout for you, if he hasn't already told them to move her or the shipment somewhere more secure."

She looks nervous as she looks from Fhiess to Sagishi and Ludwig. "My father is an exceedingly dangerous man, not to be trifled with," she says. "If you go up against him in this, you may not leave the city alive."

Fhiess ponders the information given. If it's true that the Kin would find a place to hide and secure the cargo if Peaseblossom is found, then that would at least mean that it delays using the shipment for foul motives.

The warning given only improves his resolve. He and responds calmly, "We've survived events just as bad, if not worse than what your father might try to do. I might not be a great warrior, and an even worse inspirational Bard, but I couldn't be any more safe with the friends that I have."

Mike M

Nick N
((If the others are down with that. If you're going to continue the investigation to the point that you're going to start making skill checks, it's going to happen concurrently with what's going on with the other group.))

Mike M

Nick N
The front gates of Hammerfall are much the same as they were when the Endowed arrived a few days ago. They're still closed, though there is a line of carts and wagons waiting to go out the postern gate. There aren't many--not a great number of people want to actually leave the safety of the mountain, apparently--but none of them look to be carrying the crates that they sent off with the Kin as payment for Chamber Mafun's vote.

None of the buildings in the area are particularly noteworthy, though it is difficult to tell just how large they are since they know from experience now that such structures can extend well into the stone of the mountain.

All in all, it seems a perfectly uneventful morning.

Nezumi

All in all, it seems a perfectly uneventful morning.

((If there ever was an introduction to some real fucked up shit... Super busy at the moment but a quick and dirty perception check can't hurt I guess.))

Perception : 1d20+3 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5

When they arrive at the gate Sagishi is once more taken in by the massive structure. How the hell did the dwarfs build this? They are so small. Did they climb onto each other's shoulders...?
He gets lost in thoughts about stacked dwarves and would not spot Peaseblossom if she were to be dragged away directly in front of him...

Fhiess isn't sure a search would be worthwhile if they're out in an open area and their shipment isn't readily apparent. He starts to wonder, "Do you think they have some other outlet to transport glurg? We had only found the hobgoblin encampments in the middle of the remote forest thanks to Peaseblossom's help.. This can't be the only way to deliver goods right? What other direction would it have to go? Maybe.. under-" He starts to think he is saying something silly considering they are already underground, but a thought sparks, "Underground..? What if they took the contents deeper into the ground?"

((It's ok, Giraffe Vision™ has this))
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=173727]Perception: 1D20 + 4 = [19]+4 = 23
[/url]
((Also using a detect evil))

Ludwig keeps his eyes open as they approach the gate, tuning the senses he'd use to spot predators lurking in the savannah to see any unusual or shady activity going on.

In response to Fheiss's musing, he says "That's an interesting point. What would be deeper underground, though? The doubleground? The deep-dark? The shadowcaverns? The underdark? The- waaaaaiiiiit, isn't the underdark an actual place, and where they said Drow come from or something? Shit, you might be on to something."

Mike M

Nick N
Ludwig's heightened sense of awareness doesn't detect anything out of the ordinary, nor does his magical probing of the area turn up anything but Sagishi's presence.

Sagishi's own senses seem unusually dull, today. Must be the lack of invigorating sunshine.

Other Team:
Oliff isn't too pleased to hear he may be indebted to Svift. "I just received word from the print house that the flyers beast the deadline. They're distributing then now, so it's as near to perfect timing as we could hope for."

He snags the sleeve of a passing page. "I need to send word to Rios," he says. "Tell the Speaker that we will not--hm, actually, wait, I've an even better idea."

He grabs a piece of paper and starts scribbling. Looking up, he sends almost surprised to see the Endowed. "Well?" he asks. "Haven't you a floor vote to observe?"

It's hall past 9 bells. The motion won't need brought to the floor for another half hour.

Keranos raises an eyebrow at Oliff. "Please try not to do anything to jeopardize this vote," he says courteously. "For you, this may seem like just another day of politics, but try to remember that this time the stakes are much, much higher than just voting rights."

He follows along with Thosar, unless Oliff decides to engage him in conversation.

((Nothing I can think of, I'm good to move on))

Ludwig stares intently, taking in his surroundings. "Hmm... yes... just as I thought. There's a whole lot of nothing here. I don't think we're going to get anywhere aimlessly looking around. Ready to head back?"

Fhiess nods, "We've only learned where they're not taking the glurg by going here. I wish it wasn't at the cost of making Leifford suspicious of our activity.. I'm ready to return."

Mike M

Nick N
Ludwig, Sagishi, and Fhiess rejoin the others in the grand hall of the House of Targus, where they meet up with Barrow and Vess only a scant few minutes before the vote is supposed to open. The drowess seems positively jubilant, and Barrow seems as proud of his legislative accomplishments as he ever was about counting himself among the Endowed, mistaken or not.

The stairs to the gallery aren’t amenable to Ludwig’s anatomy, but the central chamber of the House itself is cathedral-like in its proportions, and the grand doorway to the house floor is more than tall enough to accommodate him. With a mixture of cajoling and threats, Barrow is able to talk his way past the guards in their ornate armor. There’s no seating available to them, but they at least have a front row seat to see how the sausage is made, as it were.

The House is built almost like a stadium: There are three sections for the legislators, one for each Chamber of the House, arranged around the dias in the center. The upper levels are the gallery, which is already filled with spectators as vendors wander up and down the aisles, barking their prices for refreshments. More than a few drow are in attendance, obvious in the way they tower above their neighbors when seated.

At ten bells, someone approaches the speaking trumpet on the dias. Vess furrows her brow, which catches Barrow’s attention. “Who’s that?” he asks.

“That’s the parliamentarian from the Chamber of Ossc,” she says. “What would he be doing at the podium, unless--”

The representative from Ossc seizes the trumpet and begins speaking, and the crowd quiets down to listen. It’s a dry litany of rules and bylaws being invoked, and in the end it’s thoroughly unclear what it is he has even said, but a wave of astonished murmurs rocks through the gathered audience.

“He’s moving for a vote of no confidence!” Vess gasps. “They’re going to hold a snap selection for the new Forge Lord before proceeding!”

Barrow casts a sidelong glance at the Endowed. “By the Oneiroi, lads, what did you have the publisher put in that advisory memo?”

The vote for a new Forge Lord is conducted through secret ballot, and as the individual legislators are called upon one at a time to deposit their vote in the hopper, a steady stream of pages and aides comes and goes delivering the news of the votes in the other Chambers. Ance has delivered, as expected, and Mafun seems to have honored their side of the bargain, regardless of the fate of Peaseblossom. House Pandam is secured. It isn’t long before news comes of Yarl and Narn voting to pass the measure as well, but it is joined by the news that the Forge Lord of Ell has vetoed the measure.

Vess tugs at a braid of her hair in an anxious tic. “It all depends on who is selected Forge Lord of Targus, now,” she says. “By Eilistraee, if they elect someone from Chamber Farni, they might doom us!” She tugs on her hair with both hands as she releases a groan of frustration.

“Now, now, lass, things aren’t necessarily so dire as that,” Barrow says, patting her on the arm with a meaty hand.

“Aren’t they though?” she says, wheeling on Barrow. “The previous Forge Lord was of Chamber Lunus! Chamber Ossc just opened up proceedings to depose him! Tell me, who could that have struck a bargain with, if not Farni?”

As though in answer to her question, the Master of Ceremonies ascends the podium, and seizes the speaking trumpet. “The vote is tallied,” she announces. “And, with a majority of 168 votes, the venerable Chamber of Targus has selected, for its new Forge Lord, Vozzo Oliff!”

With a sharp intake of breath, Vess grabs at Barrow’s shoulder for balance, a broad grin on her face. “He’s done it!” she hisses. “My goddess, I don’t know how he headed off Farni’s play, but he’s done it! My people will finally have a voice!”

Thosar grins wide at the news, a sense of relief that the work has paid off. "I suspect Oliff used our trump card on Farni's majority whip. We hadn't made use of it since we'd secured a mojority of the chambers... seems to have come in handy."

"I can't believe it.." Fhiess expresses with an almost uncertain wonder, "Just the handful of us managed to help set in motion such an important change."

Obviously Barrow helped too, but only because of Fhiess' deceit and promises of adventure and heroics. Realizing this, he approaches him slowly. Dipping his head then raising it once more, he confronts him in apology, "This couldn't have happened without your help.. but still, I'm sorry for tricking you. I was desperate to redeem myself."

Keranos watches the spectacle with considerable distaste. He is relieved when it becomes clear that they have succeeded at their goal, but that's mostly because it means they can finally get moving. Granted, there were some parts of this process that exhilarated him, but seeing it all brought to bear around him in such confusing fashion is just too much.

"Ms. Talbot," he says, "Congratulations on your victory. Now would you mind lending us your power, so that we may be on our way?"

Ludwig looks on to the proceedings with mostly disgust, barely able to hide his contempt at being in a legislative chamber. Still, a gleam of pride slips into his expression as more and more chambers announce their support of the bill. He's particularly pleased to see Yarl and Narn's affirmations. Maybe his gambling system will take off, and capitalism will prevail over the state just yet.

He turns around to look for the others, only to see Keranos is already talking to Talbot. "Better go join them before Keranos starts a fight in the House," Ludwig mumbles to himself as he walks over to join them.

((Anyone else want to get a reaction in before the scene continues?))

((I had been planning to, but I figure it will wait until we see Vess' response. Galen wasn't going to do too much immediately anyway. Also, he's going to need to acquire some material components.

Sorry I've been so inactive. It's been rather busy here.))

Mike M

Nick N
Vess looks momentarily surprised at Keranos's request, as though she'd forgotten the bargain she struck. But she recovers nearly instantly and adopts a genuine smile. "But of course," she says. "I can't possibly thank you enough for what you and your friends have done for my people."

When the crystal is presented, its glow completely suffuses the material when held in the proximity of one of the Endowed. She lays her hands upon it, but is momentarily distracted by the sound of a gavel striking on the sound block and Oliff calling for order. He pats the air in front of him to silence the wave of sporadic whooping and clapping at his ascension to his new position before he brings the speaking trumpet to his lips.

"My fellow citizens of Forgerun, you do me great honor to name me as your Forge Lord of the venerable House of Targus. It is a trust I hold with the highest regard, and I swear upon the bones of my ancestors that I will do all that I can to be mindful of your collective concerns and guide with a steady hand.

"Already, such concerns have been brought before me, and I feel duty bound to act upon them. My people, the entire world of Somnus is in a state of crisis; we may think we are safe here beneath our mountain, but Forgerun does not exist in a vacuum. What takes place beyond our walls affects us all, no matter how remote or removed it seems. What we need in these dark days is consistency and constancy of leadership and policy.

"As such, I formally withdraw my bill granting the full rights of citizenship to the denizens of the Underdark who have fled that tyrannical regime to seek sanctuary in our welcoming kingdom."

Vess's hands fall away from the crystal as she stares slack-jawed at Oliff's words. The grand room fills with indistinct murmurs among those assembled. Some of the Drow in attendance have stood to their feet.

Again, Oliff motions for silence. "I understand the concern, but right now the important thing is that our fine government steer a steady and straight course through the coming storm ahead of us. The bill as written would inject chaos into the political order at a time we can least afford it. The question of the rights of the Underdark refugees is an important one, but first we must attend to the immediate threat we face. Then, when the clouds of uncertainty have cleared, I promise I will reintroduce the matter for consideration."

"What?" Vess hisses. "What?" Her robes stir as though caught in a slight draft, and the air around her crackles with energy.

Upon witnessing the news, Fhiess quickly scans the audience for any members of the Kin wearing a ring or any faces he might recognize.

Rolling 1d20 + 6
( 10 ) + 6 = 16

Keranos sees the anger building up in Vess and feeds off of it. He turns to stand with her, looking toward Oliff. His eyes glow neon purple and the air around him begins whipping around.

"I am with you, Vess Talbot," he says to her quietly.

He projects his voice to a thundering boom and screams toward the stage.

"HOW DARE YOU?" he shouts at the top of his lungs. "YOU HAVE GONE BACK ON YOUR WORD, OLIFF. CORRECT THIS TRANSGRESSION IMMEDIATELY, OR YOU WILL ANSWER FOR IT."

((Using Thaumaturgy to amplify my voice.

Let's get this party started! :) ))

Ludwig's concern over Keranos making a scene instantly evaporates as Oliff makes his power play. The J'raffa shakes his head in disgust. "Typical statist pig. The second he gets more power, he shits all over everyone that helped get him there." Giving Thosar a quick acknowledgement before talking to Vess, he says "Could be the case. If he's not the ringleader, hopefully the controller's nearby."

Looking to Vess, he says "I guess there aren't enough market forces pumping through this building to smooth things out and make people honor their votes yet, maybe I should see to it that the invisible hand is applied harder." He makes no effort to stop Keranos. To the contrary, he falls in behind him, looking ready to head off any would-be security.

Unable to find any Kin to demand leverage based on the agreement, but finding danger. Fhiess turns to his team, "There's a fight broiling! We might not have a chance to find the mind control device or convince the Kin to work to ensure the deal can be completed."

((Galen utterly failed an Insight roll.

And by utterly failed, I mean he rolled his second 1 in a row.))

This is an entirely unexpected turn of events, and, seeing tensions rise, Galen quickly positions himself between Keranos and Oliff, walking quarterstaff in hand and hanging firmly at his side. "This doesn't have to turn to violence," he reminds his companion, but his address to the newly risen Forge Lord is more stern:

"So you would make promises and toss aside your word as benefits you? Clear stability, it is plain to see: when none can know that an action agreed upon by the governing body will be allowed to stand, then will the leadership of Forgerun be firm and stable. Do you see yourself some tyrannical ruler, keeping your subjects safe under your guiding hand?

"Your actions teeter upon the edge of madness!"

((Galen doesn't have anywhere in particular he is going with that; rather, it is a thread meant for someone else to pick up and weave as they will. He knows there are others among the group who can carry it forward much better than he.

He is also more concerned with Keranos' potential actions than he is Miss Talbot's, as one seems more cool-headed than the other, but he is willing to back Talbot and the party however events transpire.))

((
I'm a bit busy atm, but he's definitely with Thosar that Oliff might be under the influence of a crystal.

Incidentally, that is exactly what Galen's failed Insight roll was to determine. Is Oliff acting of his own free will? What if he has dominated his own mind in some nefarious scheme?

Will the dragons once again rise as Forgerun's unseen rulers?))

Mike M

Nick N
Oliff seems unperturbed by Kernaos's outburst and Thosar's admonishment, smiling genteelly as he again motions for calm and patience. The squad of men at arms closing ranks around the podium are a less comforting measure, as they cast their wild gazes about at the cloaked Drow scattered in the large chamber, repeatedly adjusting their grip on their halberds.

"I understand the disappointment you must be feeling, and I apologize for it, but horse trading and compromising is the nature of politics! Yes, this is a setback--a temporary one, I assure you--to the Drow citizenship matter, but in exchange for that one small concession, I was able to form a coalition of interests and increase my power and authority a hundred fold! The agenda of the Chamber of Lunus is now the agenda of the entire House of Targus, do you really not see what a boon that is? Think of all that we can accomplish when we are not spending all our efforts fighting the tide against us! At long last, the wind is finally at our backs!"

Vess storms forward, her eyes alight with silver radiance. "Do you think I give one whit about your agenda?" she says, sneering on the last word. "Your agenda Oliff, your agenda? For years I have worked toward justice for my people, and now at the culmination of all my toiling and efforts, you think yourself justified in snatching it away from us to enhance your own power?"

"Now, Vess--"

"Now nothing!" she howls in response as an aura of energy ignites around her. The spectators are streaming out of the building in a near panic at this point, though the Drow remain either rooted to the spot or are fighting the current to reach her. "I invoke the right of forcible reconsideration!"

Oliff scoffs openly. "The right of forcible reconsideration? Come now, are we barbarians, Vess? The Gottermang has not witnessed such madness in centuries!"

"My challenge stands! You will not take this from me, Oliff!"

Oliff's face darkens as he seizes the sides of the lectern and leans forward. "You have no standing to invoke forcible reconsideration," he says, annunciation each syllable with absolute clarity. "You are not a citizen of Forgerun."

"I invoke it under the aegis of the office of party parliamentarian!" Vess announces, turning in a circle to address the audience as she does. "There is no citizenship requirement to serve as an unelected officer of the party, and the bylaws of the Gottermang are explicit in their allowance of any officer of a party to claim the right of forcible reconsideration!"

"If you do this, your precious pet issue is finished!" Oliff shouts, his face congested with the blood of rage. "Already, you may have gone too far for me to reintroduce the legislation at a later date! Stand down, you maniacal woman!"

"All I hear is in your words are the reasons I must proceed!" Vess retorts.

Oliff's arms fall to his sides as his calm demeanor reasserts itself. "So be it," he says gravely. "As challenger, it is your right to chose your champions first. But know this, Vess, you have no conception of the forces I have to call upon in answer. The Drow will never know citizenship in Forgerun after this. I hope you can live with yourself with that knowledge weighing upon your shoulders."

Vess looks about wildly. The stands have cleared out, and there are a fair number of Drow who have assembled on the floor, their faces grim. Her eyes find Keranos's. "Please," she implores. "Please help me!"

Keranos meets Vess's gaze with an easy smile. He doesn't know the specifics of what's happening, but the part about choosing champions gives him the gist of it.

He looks again to Oliff. "I, Keranos, God of Storms and protector of all that is just and fair in this world, shall answer the call and serve as Ms. Talbot's champion!" He takes a few dramatic steps forward as he speaks. "These good Drow people WILL be counted as citizens of Forgerun before the day is done, with all the rights and privileges thereby granted!"

Silently, he transmits this thought into Oliff's mind. After today, you will be ruined, if not physically then by reputation. You speak cryptically of unknown forces, but you cannot begin to comprehend the enemy you have made on this day, you two-faced snake in the grass. Prepare to regret this moment for the rest of your life.

He turns to his friends, again wearing that easy smile. "Who among my companions would like to join me in serving as Champions of Ms. Talbot?" Unsure of exactly how many champions are allowed to be picked, he calls to the mass of Drow attendees. "Perhaps some of her countrymen would like to join as well?"

Based on the argument as to whether the bill can even be guaranteed now, Fhiess decides that there is still a chance that he may need to leverage the deal made with the Kin should Oliff's denial continue to be enough to stop the bill even after losing the challenge. "You overstep your boundaries, Oliff! I know very well some powerful figures that I can convince would not be interested in your decision," Fhiess announces boldly, "you're only facing the first obstacle!"

To the party he explains, "If we act as champions, then word will surely spread that standing around me are the finest warriors, and I can't be proven wrong on that fact."

Shrugging, Thosar rolls his eyes. "I am only here in the interest of saving the world today. Having already agreed to assist you in return for your contribution to the greater good, we would be remiss not to help you here. You do not stand alone."

He looks over to Barrow. "I don't suppose you could lend some weight to the argument? This would be one way to go down in forgerun history. You'd be a legend and at the same time never be pestered for favors again."

Ludwig cracks his hooves in anticipation and grins. "You know, I've always wanted to rough up a high ranking state official. Downing his champions won't be quite as fulfilling, but it should still be satisfying. Besides, like Thosar said, it would be dumb to just stop here. Count me in if this is a multi-person thing."

Mike M

Nick N
A ragged chorus of cheers comes from the perhaps half a dozen Drow who have gathered on the floor near Vess and the Endowed.

Barrow turns to Thosar, ashen-faced. "Forcible reconsideration!" he says. "That be only a fancy-britches two-faced politician word fer trial by combat! For each man Vess sets afield, Oliff can pick another t'stand in his name. Neither of them will back down, neither! Ye'll not convince her to give up her cause, and if there's anything I know about Oliff, it's that he can't abide t'lose face in his first bloody hour of being Forge Lord!"

"Well then," Oliff shouts again. "Is this your chosen representation, Vess?"

Vess casts her gaze over those assembled. Counting her and her Drow, a total of 13 stand aligned against Oliff. "Face me!" she cries. "Face me and receive your judgement!"

Oliff arches his eyebrows in surprise. "Face you, Vess? My dear, perhaps you should have read your precious statutes more closely, I've no obligation to take to the field myself. No, I exercise my right to designate a proxy to fight in my stead." He grabs the tunic of an aide trying to sidle away from the brewing conflict and mutters something in his ear before sending the young lad running off.

"I expect my representatives will be here presently. You may wish to prepare your rabble."

Nezumi

Sagishi does not like the way the situation is unfolding at all. He is still convinced that Oliff is not acting on his own volition. However it doesn't seem that this is a matter that can be looked into right now. So he takes up his crossbow and cocks a bolt, hoping that he needn't shoot to kill.

During the lull, Keranos calls everyone into a huddle.

To Barrow and Vess, he says, "So, this trial by combat. What exactly are the stakes here? Does victory mean that Oliff is deposed as the... uh... leader of the senate? Will it mean the vote can be held and the voting rights will be established?

"Also. I presume there are rules for the combat itself. Is this a fight to the death? Is there anything that combatants are not allowed to do? If it's not to the death, then how badly are we allowed to beat them before we must stop?"

<Knowledge: History on arena combat and dueling for political causes
1d20 = 11 + 3 + 1 = 15>

"I was mostly expecting the brawl to break out right here.. I don't like that Oliff is allowed to set up his own terms for the fight; what if he does something to make the fight unfair?"

He jolts suddenly and whispers to the party, "What if they know where the glurg is!?"

Top Bottom