• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

As always - refrain from talking about illegal streaming/torrenting sites. Only sites such as Crunchyroll, Funimation, Daisuki, Hulu and Amazon are allowed. Do not link or discuss illegitimate sites.

CkhIZagUkAEXBho.jpg

SYNOPSIS

Mob Psycho 100 is a webcomic (published in manga tankobon format by Weekly Shonen Sunday) by ONE, best known for his other webcomic One Punch Man, often distinguished from Murata's manga version also called One Punch Man - the one that was adapted into an anime last year - by simply calling it ONE or the webcomic version. Despite what some people would like to think, the two series are not connected beyond the author, surface level similarities and slight winks and nods.

RESOURCES

PV1
PV2
Official Site
STREAMING HERE ON CRUNCHYROLL

CHARACTERS AND STAFF

Director: Yuzuru Tachikawa (Death Parade)
Studio: BONES
Character Designs: Yoshimichi Kameda (Key artist on One Punch Man)
Series Composition: Hiroshi Seko (Owari no Seraph)
Art Director: Ryou Kouno (Space Dandy)
Color Design: Shihoko Nakayama (UN-GO)
Director of Photography: Mayuko Furumoto (Noragami)
Sound Director: Kazuhiro Wakabayashi (Eureka Seven)
Music: Kenji Kawai (Fate/stay night)

Shigeo "Mob" Kageyama - VA - Setsuo Ito (New Voice Actor)

Kageyama Shigeo (a.k.a. "Mob", モブ means John Doe) is a 8th grader with psychic abilities. He could bend spoons and lift objects with his mind from a young age, but he slowly began to withhold from using his abilities in public due to the negative attention he kept receiving. Now, the only thing he wants is to become friends with a girl in his class, Tsubomi and to become physically stronger with the Bodybuilding Club. With his psychic "mentor" (who has no psychic powers) he continues his daily life, attempting to realize his purpose in life and why he has the powers he has, and what he should do with them.

Arataka Reigen - VA - Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku in Code Geass, Osomatsu in Osomatsu-San)

Reigen is a self proclaimed psychic who exorcises evil spirits and leads a spirit council. In reality he is a con man looking to make a quick buck on paranoid clients who believe in the supernatural. His methods of dealing with the occult usually involve throwing salt. He is also Mob's mentor and boss, and despite being somewhat worried about Mob's real powers, he genuinely cares for the kid.

Ekubo/Dimple - VA - Akio Ootsuka (Kuroo Hazama in the Black Jack series, Batou in Ghost in the Shell)

Dimple is an evil spirit with a desire to become God. Once the leader of a cult and a powerful psychic, he is now Shigeo's self-proclaimed spiritual adviser after being defeated and losing 99% of his power. He is known to have a very foul smell, and has been described by multiple characters as "disgusting and unsettling."

Kageyama Ritsu - VA - Miyu Irino (Akito in Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, Episode in the Monogatari series)

Ritsu is Shigeo's brother. Ritsu is very clever and serves on the student council. He excels in academics and everything else he tries, but none of that matters to him as much as psychic power. He longs for the Esper abilities his brother has always had and was frustrated by his own inability to do things like bend spoons. He is a perfectionist with a not-so-hidden dark side. His brother is more important to him than anyone or anything else.

Hypron

Awww yiss. Haven't read the manga but I loved OPM (both manga and anime), so I'm really looking forward to this.

It gives more value to my Crunchyroll sub too, as two of the anime I was watching on there finished a couple weeks ago.

Blablurn

I have no idea what this is. Even with watching the trailer. But dude got so much credit after One Punch Man. I'm in anyway.

Aki-at

So hyped for this, stopped reading the manga so I could enjoy the ride with the show.

ONE saving anime in consecutive years.

Qvoth

hype 100%
starting reading the manga few weeks ago, it really is awesome
but i think i still prefer OPM

D-Man

I love OPM and I heard tons of great things about Mob. Really excited to see just how good it truly is.

In preparation for the upcoming premiere, people mind find interesting this translation of an interview with original author ONE and director Tachikawa.

4chan said:
>Interviewer
With the release of the the teaser PV to the public, we've had fan reactions like "The original's art flows really well" and "The mood of the original isn't destroyed at all". As the person who runs the TV production, what are your own impressions, ONE-san?

>ONE
Even though it's my own art, it's become really livid. I was thinking "Is it really okay to draw it like this?". (laughs)

>TACHIKAWA
Hahaha (laughs)

>ONE
With this becoming an anime, I really get the impression I found my design eventhough I'm really idealistic, like "this angle is really as expected", I really felt like this is an upgrade from the original style.

Interviewer
Did the supervisor expect the fans' reactions?

>TACHIKAWA
When a manga gets turned into an anime, the biggest worry is; how far are we gonna take over the original's atmosphere in the animation? When we first got the Mob Psycho 100 project, we discussed a lot of topics like "maybe we should make Mob a bit more good-looking, make him a bit more slender, to accompany the current anime industry's taste".

>ONE
From the beginning I've been anxious regarding the designs, so when it was decided this was going to become an anime I was thinking "will the current art really cut it..." and it bothered me. So when the anime came and the topics of making Mob more handsome and going with stylish art were brought up to me, I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

>TACHIKAWA
Then I thought, doing that to Mob Psycho 100, wouldn't it be wrong? The first time I read the original work, I thought we just had to bring over that peculiarity of the atmosphere that it had. So when the PV was released and I saw the fans' reactions I was really happy, right. I thought it was a really good thing we kept drawing it like that.

>ONE
It's thanks to the guys at the production team who just went with the style of the original work and finished something really amazing. And because of that, I too think it's good we didn't change it.

Interviewer
This is just hypothetical, but could it have happened that a spotlight would be put on Mob and Reigen's bodies with character designs aimed at girls?

>TACHIKAWA
Looking at it from the anime production's perspective, it really became symbolic and easy to draw when stepping away from that sort of design. Making the hair rustled, putting in highlights and making everything sparkly, there are plenty of animators who are good at that sort of stuff, I think. Everyone who's participating in this loves ONE-san's art style, that's why things have sort of flowed into this direction where we make the best of the original work's designs in order to pursue ONE-san's art's "flavour".

>ONE
Mob is a character who is dull and unpopular, so I think changing him into someone more handsome would turn it into a completely different story.

Interviewer
Originally, when the anime project was decided, ONE-san, how did you feel?

ONE
I was surprised, actually. At the very beginning I received an e-mail from the editor-in-chief saying "The Mob Psycho 100 anime project has been decided", but it was a time I was working on a manuscript so I only replied "Thank you very much". Then one night while I was out, it came to me; "Huh, yesterday that mail said 'anime project'".

TACHIKAWA
Ahaha (laughs). "Huh" - after collecting yourself.

ONE
I thought I just had to confirm this with my ears so I immediately called them to confirm. So surprised, I slowly asked "Eh, are you really doing an anime project?", I didn't believe it at first, you see. I got to work in such a grateful environment and I was really happy.

Interviewer
What were the supervisor's initial impressions on Mob Psycho 100?

TACHIKAWA
When the anime project was decided, I had only read until around volume 6, but before that there were some worries.

ONE
Fufufu (laughs)

TACHIKAWA
What is the correct way to put this on TV? When the time came, no one really had a "vision" that came right up. No one thought "hey, if it's in anime form it should be like this", not the kind of work you can imagine that for easily. But exactly for that reason, while still worrying, I myself got interested in all the challenges we would have to face in order to create an interesting work.

Interviewer
Overall, working for the supervisor, what parts were particularly fussed about?

>TACHIKAWA
We've talked about this just now as well, but concerning putting it on TV, I thought that the undescribable atmosphere the original work has, that you feel when you first read it, needs to be treated as something really important. And we love ONE-san's panel layout and ability to draw, so basically coming up with a way to keep the atmosphere of the original while also inevitably having it different. We're really endeavouring on a new trial here, thinking about how to bring those panels to the animated world and things like that.

>Interviewer
Forgive me for saying it like it's nothing, but it really seems like an animation that was very easily brought over from the original work, doesn't it?

>TACHIKAWA
That is true. I think it's a broad-minded work. Looking from the presentation perspective it's a lot of fun.

>ONE
The staff wanted to go for a more traditional "what if we draw it according to the original" direction. To me, it felt better to draw without being restricted by the original work, so quite the opposite. For example, in the scene where Mob and Teru fight, in the manga many parts were cut out and simplified where in the anime we added original parts and it's really become interesting. I myself look forward to it every time.

Interviewer
I feel one of the virtues of the original is the gag pace, but it seems hard to drop that into the anime, I feel.

>TACHIKAWA
It is hard. The tempo of conversations and the way of taking in the pacing is particularly important during gag scenes. But I think peoples' tastes in those parts vary, so we won't know until we see the audience's reaction. But when I listen to the voice actors' performances I do think everyone is going to give it a laugh.

>ONE
I was able to observe the postrecording sessions and I surprisingly laughed during the gag scenes. Maybe it was because of the fact they have voices now (laughs). Sakurai-san (Reigen's VA)'s performance as well, I really feel like the audience is going to be made to laugh, it's super interesting.

>TACHIKAWA
Everyone in the cast really added a good flavour, don't you think. People will find their own pleasure in the surreal performance so I think people are going to laugh and it'll be great.

Interviewer
ONE-san, you've heard virtually every performance from the cast, how was it?

>ONE
I was shocked at how much the voices added to the work. There's the original vision that carried over from the manga, but hearing it for the first time was quite a sensation, since when I first drew the manga I had no idea at all about the voices for the characters. When I started drawing the manga, for a while, I hadn't determined the ages of the characters at all, with the exception of Mob. When the anime came around, things like that became surprisingly fundamental, I think I delved much deeper into the characters than ever before.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
maybe we should make Mob a bit more good-looking, make him a bit more slender, to accompany the current anime industry's taste
anuxi_rum.gif

This'll be on Hulu right?

do we know how many episodes this is going to be? i'm expecting 12-13 like OPM?

On the website there's 12 slots (so 12 episodes) under "Story." Someone datamined the episode names, here.
For those curious, someone on /a/ translated the titles, here: Spoilers

There might be another cour but I don't know where to look for that confirmation.

Moaradin

This'll be on Hulu right?

On the website there's 12 slots (so 12 episodes) under "Story." Someone datamined the episode names, here.
For those curious, someone on /a/ translated the titles, here: Spoilers

There might be another cour but I don't know where to look for that confirmation.

Based on episode titles, I think it will be 2 cours. The title for episode 12 doesn't sound like something they would end on. (minor manga spoilers)
The Tsuchinoko chapter in the manga is an omake and it happens pretty early on. Sounds like the anime is moving that around which makes perfect sense since it would fit right in with the arc directly after the Claw stuff.

Yeah because it's better :p

I think it's better than OPM in a lot of ways too. Just saying that it's very different.

Zero²

Just noticed the broccoli at the OP lol

Just saying that the broccoli moment is one of the most epic twists to happen in any manga ever. That insane foreshadowing!

If the quality from the first episode can keep up, this will certainly be in the running for one of the best TV anime ever. In experimental visuals, it's like the crazier episodes of Space Dandy, or Tatami Galaxy and Yuasa's other works, or even somewhat akin to wild short films such as Shinya Ohira's Wanwa the Puppy. It unites all these unusual techniques and striking visuals under a coherent, consistent aesthetic, so it doesn't feel like it's throwing random stuff at a wall to see what sticks either. Very impressive indeed.

Top Bottom