• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MINDHUNTER |OT| Netflix Original Series - Oct 13

Watched the first three eps. Quick thoughts:

1) Great acting. Loving Bill. Holden is alright. Like his girlfriend. Glad to see Anna Torv. Guy playing Kemper is pretty fantastic (and creepy)

2) Really like the atmosphere and style. Got that Fincher feel.

3) I feel like this takes place in the same universe as Zodiac and Se7en.
Se7en and Zodiaca universes are as far apart from eacother as possible.

ZanDatsu

Seems I'm in the minority in thinking it was pretty mediocre, the acting in particular. A lot of it fell flat for me, just didn't like any of the characters. There was something off with a lot of the conversations, too many times characters were so eager to deliver their lines it just came across as unnatural to me. It's a shame because I think the idea is really interesting and I usually like these dark themes surrounding criminal psychology.

I'm 8 episodes in and I've really enjoyed it so far, but Ford is really getting on my nerves as the show goes and it becomes increasingly more clear how
he's essentially very similar to the criminals he is profiling and the theories can be applied to his behaviour.

Burt

4 episodes in, I really like it. Funnier than I thought it'd be at times. And I can't tell if Holden is a weaker actor or just a fucking nerd. He's definitely, like, Silicon Valley Jared-adjacent.

4 episodes in, I really like it. Funnier than I thought it'd be at times. And I can't tell if Holden is a weaker actor or just a fucking nerd. He's definitely, like, Silicon Valley Jared-adjacent.

He's a fucking nerd, haha. I'm surprised at how funny it is too.

1) Great acting. Loving Bill. Holden is alright. Like his girlfriend. Glad to see Anna Torv. Guy playing Kemper is pretty fantastic (and creepy)

2) Really like the atmosphere and style. Got that Fincher feel.

3) I feel like this takes place in the same universe as Zodiac and Se7en.

haha doesn't this technically do take place in the same universe as Zodiac??

I just finished it, it was so so good

I'm 8 episodes in and I've really enjoyed it so far, but Ford is really getting on my nerves as the show goes and it becomes increasingly more clear how
he's essentially very similar to the criminals he is profiling and the theories can be applied to his behaviour.

I am only 3 episodes in and that is my take as well (the the story is about how it was need a patologic mind to start studying patologic minds). Ford personality and behaviour are exactly like his target studies. Like he is obsessed to the point of being awake in the middle of the night ironing clothes, social insecure and have difficulties to understand the opposite sex (he mentions that Debbie is his first girlfriend since high school I believe), and that dialog between him and Debbie about his mother kind of indicate some issues in that relationship as well. The fact that he wanted to edit the FBI deviations word list only to exclude the words his girlfriend uses and his newly adquired sexual behaviours (and not other words that may be perfectly normal in the context of sexual revolution) seems to me an act to validated his issues, like a need to self reafirm that he is normal. Plus the interviews clearly have an impact on him.

Foggy

Just finished watching the series and I enjoyed it immensely. It certainly isn't structured to be satisfying in the way most shows are built, but while I'm not sure much praise I'm going to give for bucking certain arcs and structures, I do respect it. If anything it's nice to have a series revolve around true blue set pieces of people talking.

The only thing that rang hollow was the FBI centric conflict towards the end. It felt so alien and outlandish which I'm sure was at least partially intentional, but I think the show could've done a better job of placing us in that context.

Regardless, I loved it.

Hjod

Banned
I've gotten about 3 episodes in, and it feels somewhat like the book. I read it years ago so I can't really say I remember it that much, but I'm loving the feel of the show.

And they fucking nailed the casting of Ed Kemper.

Sloane

Banned

I watched the first episode yesterday and liked it a lot but some of the acting felt unbelievably bad, especially the first meeting between Holden and Bill --- and wtf was that meet cute? Other than that, really looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

Khoryos

I'm only three episodes in, but I just realised who the guy they keep cutting to is (once I saw his van) and it made the while thing feel really futile. Like, real sterling work guys.

I watched 5 episodes on Sunday, and had dreams about Kemper. Not like, terrifying dreams... Just creepy, with a sense of dread hanging over them.

Dec

Ya this guy sounds and talks exactly like Kemper. A lot of exact word for word sentences taken from his interviews.

Finished it last night.

Overall I really enjoyed it and will definitely be around for season 2. I hope
Bill gets more screen time, he's easily my favourite character in this.

I am only 3 episodes in and that is my take as well (the the story is about how it was need a patologic mind to start studying patologic minds). Ford personality and behaviour are exactly like his target studies. Like he is obsessed to the point of being awake in the middle of the night ironing clothes, social insecure and have difficulties to understand the opposite sex (he mentions that Debbie is his first girlfriend since high school I believe), and that dialog between him and Debbie about his mother kind of indicate some issues in that relationship as well. The fact that he wanted to edit the FBI deviations word list only to exclude the words his girlfriend uses and his newly adquired sexual behaviours (and not other words that may be perfectly normal in the context of sexual revolution) seems to me an act to validated his issues, like a need to self reafirm that he is normal. Plus the interviews clearly have an impact on him.

On the money.
Way I see it, in Blade Runner terms, Holden is a Replicant that is slowly but surely coming aware and to terms with the fact he himself is a Replicant through his dawning realisation he is not so far removed from the sociopaths he is conducting interviews on. They're all hunters and he is no different on a fundamental level. To him, the hunt is simply in a different realm. He is, as the title implies, the Mindhunter. This all becomes apparent early on, and I don't think there was any significant intention of delaying that realisation by the audience, the show almost spells it out from the jump, but it is still interesting to look for the cues where they present themselves. I think a rewatch of this first season will be more interesting than usual because of that added objective.

Anna Torv is a boss

Only ever saw her in Fringe, but between
the two Olivias
and Dr. Wendy Carr, she’s impressed me with her range

Also Groff’s acting grew on me once I realized I don’t necessarily have to like his character.

Four episodes in, I love how the show doesn't have the mandate to depict murders or dead bodies every episode for the sake of providing viewers with cheap thrills. Instead it uses its time to go deep into criminal psychology, its history and complex character work.

And yet there is this mounting tension and dread where you feel like something is horribly wrong.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Great show, really picks up by episode 4. Bill's
son is freaking me out

Edit: For all of Holden's instincts,
he's really barking up the wrong tree with Dr. Carr.

Finished season, some thoughts:

I think the themes are sharp(and, maybe, increasingly relevant) and some of the performances are really good, especially some of the killers and the dude who plays bill.

Bill especially is a great character I think, a 'too old for this shit' fed at first glance, but so much more and very complex imo.

Too bad Manic Hippie Dream Girl doesn't get any real character development, but she seems to mostly exist as a catalyst for some of the power/sexuality/control themes for the main character. She does look great naked, so I guess they got that part right.

She does look great naked, so I guess they got that part right.

aff0c6dbab5a1508a0b879317e1bf2a880fd6ee5_hq.gif

Did Holdens girlfriend remind anyone else of Olivia Munn?

EDIT:

And why do people hype the throughline of
BTK
so much?

forrest

formerly nacire
Started this today. 3 Episodes in and had to stop myself. Gonna let the wife catch up and binge the rest with her. Loving it so far. Very good start!

kirblar

I think the themes are sharp(and, maybe, increasingly relevant) and some of the performances are really good, especially some of the killers and the dude who plays bill.

Bill especially is a great character I think, a 'too old for this shit' fed at first glance, but so much more and very complex imo.

Too bad Manic Hippie Dream Girl doesn't get any real character development, but she seems to mostly exist as a catalyst for some of the power/sexuality/control themes for the main character. She does look great naked, so I guess they got that part right.
The parallel with the home lives and
Bill managing to open up when his work life intrudes while Holden closes up was really well done.

Linkura

Mid-episode 2 now, initial impressions:

-First episode was slow as fuck and honestly not too interesting, but decided to keep watching since that was mentioned a lot in this thread. They just dragged it out way too much as if it's all totally new to the viewer. It's not; it's new to the characters on the show, but there's no real reason for them to drag it out for us. I got the point early on. They probably could have trimmed the episode in half and had it be just as impactful.

-Second episode is quite a bit better but there's some issues. The whole girlfriend subplot is just annoying at this point even though I know what the purpose is. The main character is kind of annoying too, just seems too eager and clean-cut for my tastes.

-Dude who plays Ed Kemper is awesome.

Ashhong

I'm only on episode 6 but can someone maybe give me some clues as to who the person they keep showing in the intro is?

knkng

Just finished watching the first 5 episodes a little earlier. Man, this is right up my alley! Absolutely loving it so far.

However, episode 4 spoilers:
PEPSI... so damn distracting during the interview.

I watched episodes 1-4 Sunday, and 5-10 last night. It was really good. The visuals, the sounds - those were on point. The characters?

Holt's character Bill was phenomenal. He played the hard-edged older partner but was still relatable.

Anna's Dr. Carr was not only a woman trying to make it in a male-dominated agency, but with
her character's secret of being a lesbian, really made of a balance

ALL THE SERIAL KILLERS were awesome. They played their creepy factors to the max.

Obviously, the last character Groff's Holden. I didn't know what to make of him.
Sure, he had the ambition, but he was kind of robotic until he interviewed Speck. Then he got full of himself until he showed the emotion of being psychologically damaged by Kemper

kirblar

There's a lot of dualities playing off of each other in the series, one I liked was that
Wendy's conversation with her GF foreshadows that Holden's GF is going to have to pick him or her studies because she's in the exact same position Wendy is where being associated with an FBI agent would hurt her career in Academia.

This is true, but as of episode 9, he's just a full blown sanctimonious shit.

The stuff with Roger Wade was fucked. Totally destroyed that dude's life.

While obviously that case didn't require FBI interference, it's hard to feel bad for a guy who literally wouldn't stop touching children no matter how many people asked him too. He was asking to be fired. I feel worse for his family. Even if he wasn't a predator you stop fucking touching kids if the parent asks you to.

Holden might be a good profiler, but he's a terrible law enforcement agent.

While obviously that case didn't require FBI interference, it's hard to feel bad for a guy who literally wouldn't stop touching children no matter how many people asked him too. He was asking to be fired. I feel worse for his family. Even if he wasn't a predator you stop fucking touching kids if the parent asks you to.

That's true, you have a point, but it's still messed up.

Top Bottom