• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix plans to spend $8 billion to make its library 50 percent original by 2018

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16486436/netflix-original-content-8-billion-dollars-anime-films

Image: Netflix

Netflix plans to increase the amount of money it spends on developing and producing original television and films next year, to an eye-popping $8 billion. The company has given a ballpark projection near that amount in the past, but Netflix bumped it up during its third-quarter earnings announcement today by an additional $1 billion to make clear to investors and Hollywood both that it plans spends to quite a lot of money to lock down ownership of its own entertainment.

With Disney and other high-profile names increasingly moving content into closed garden ecosystems, Netflix’s future lies in making sure it controls its own destiny, and in ensuring it doesn’t take too big a hit when third-party content owners pull licensing deals out from under its feet. The ultimate goal, reiterated today by Netflix executives, is one the company has laid out before: a library containing 50 percent original TV and film content by the end of next year.

On a video call with analysts this afternoon, Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos clarified that a sizable chunk of that $8 billion will go toward toward producing 30 new anime series and 80 new original films, all slated for release in 2018. While the company has often kept concrete viewership numbers under wraps, Sarandos’ willingness to drop the anime and film metrics is a positive sign that its investments in those areas are going well.

Their original production has been a gamble, but I think it's paying off. It's smart too. As Netflix grows larger and larger, other studios have recognized how dangerous of a rival they are and started pumping up their prices that Netflix has to cough up. Then they wised up even more, and started their own streaming services. This way Netflix can fight back against ballooning prices studios are wanting to charge them.

Please spend less on your awful original movies.
Agreed. Great original TV. Awful original movies.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The writing is pretty much on the wall at this point. Their library will continue to dwindle if they don't keep stocking up on original stuff.

shaneo632

Really exciting what Netflix is doing. I love that they pick up movies from festivals like Sundance/TIFF that I'd otherwise have to wait like 18 months to watch on iTunes for £10 a pop. Pretty much the main reason I have a Netflix sub tbh. Couldn't give a toss about their non-Original library.

EDIT: People saying their Original movies suck need to check out some of the docs and less-popular indie films.

Mathieran

Banned
I guess since everyone is pulling everything so they can start their own subscription based apps Netflix has no other choice. Dammit it's gonna be worse than cable by the time this is all done.

I watch more Netflix shows than any individual network now. That's fucking crazy. On top of that a lot of them are at the top of my list of shows I'm currently watching.

Now I'm going back to Ozark.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
A big test for their original movies is going to be Bright.

Hopefully they reach that quota by adding more original content as opposed to removing other stuff

Even now with some really solid stuff coming from netflix we get better things leaving the service at the same time :(

Have any of their other movies been as good as 'Beasts of No Nation'

Meyerowitz Stories is debatable. I don't like it as much as beasts of no nation but it was still great and one of the best movies this year. Just came out a few days ago

HoJu

They should start doing shows like house hunters international. It's perfect background television.

Also, The Meyerwitz Stories, Okja, Gerald's Game, and Hush are solid films. they're going for quantity over quality, when is fine since there's enough good stuff there.

Kaizer

Banned
They already premiere too many damn shows every other week - it's ridiculous. They barely give anything anytime to breathe or grow organically before they're trying to throw another show on you. Some restraint would be nice.

They need a fantasy series.

... this is a horrible trend. I want old movies and shit. Not shows that I half watch and forget about

Yeah. I got Netflix for classic watching and to explore new stuff. I kind of dislike how now I have less access to non-Netflix content than before.

Tagyhag

I mean, that's cool and all, but I still like having licensed movies too.

Wish they added more foreign films as well.

- J - D -

Never seen it, but it looks good. Honestly, I have watched a ton of their movies in comparison to their TV shows. The last one I watched was....I dunno...about the son of satan or something? Adam Scott? It wasn't very good. Can't even remember the name.

That movie you're talking about is called Little Evil. It's bad.

It's true, the large majority of their original movies are inexplicably crappy compared to their tv output.

They already premiere too many damn shows every other week - it's ridiculous. They barely give anything anytime to breathe or grow organically before they're trying to throw another show on you. Some restraint would be nice.
This might sound crazy, but I kind of agree. I used to watch all their new TV shows as they came out, but I just can't keep up anymore. There are so many good shows out there right now I don't have the time to watch. I have a large enough backlog without Netflix adding to it.

It's true, the large majority of their original movies are inexplicably crappy compared to their tv output.
I goofed. I meant to say "I have not watched many movies in comparison to the TV shows."

Hydrus

I think I'm gonna end up canceling then at some point. I don't want to keep paying monthly if I only like 1 or 2 of their original stuff.

I don't think it's that inexplicable. Most creators with good original stories to pitch for movies would rather pitch them to film studios than Netflix (as opposed to TV, where they might prefer to pitch to Netflix than traditional TV networks). Netflix will get good original movies when they either are willing to budget more than anyone else (Scorcese and The Irishman) or when they buy them from film festivals (they've got a few Oscar hopefuls this year that fall into that category).

shaneo632

Netflix Original films I would recommend:

Drama:
Beasts of No Nation
The Fundamentals of Caring
Tallulah
Barry
Imperial Dreams
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
Burning Sands
Deidra and Laney Rob a Train
Okja
To the Bone
First They Killed My Father
Gerald's Game
Our Souls at Night
The Meyerowitz Stories

Comedy:
Pee-wee's Big Holiday
Brahman Naman
Win It All
Small Crimes
The Incredible Jessica James
The Babysitter

Docs:
The Square
The Battered Bastards of Baseball
Virunga
Hot Girls Wanted
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire
Audrie and Daisy
Amanda Knox
13th
Into the Inferno
The Ivory Game
Casting JonBenet
Get Me Roger Stone
Joshua: Teenager vs Superpower
Chasing Coral
Icarus
Strong Island (possibly the best Netflix Original film to date)
The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson
Kingdom of Us

The biggest issue is they can't even market all this stuff. It seems to be multiple original series or movie releases a week, many of which come out with no marketing or mention whatsoever. I have no idea what like 70% of this stuff even is, only some of it gets any internet hype at all. They are showing so much at us, but does anyone even know that lot of this even exists?

gatti-man

They have something like 100 million subscribers.

They are massively in debt their subscriber base doesn't cover it.

This, I think, is the end of Netflix. They are facing competition at all sides from people who make better content more consistently. Disney is releasing their own service soon, Amazon is investing heavily, HBOs service already offers better content but less variety, Hulu has the tv crowd and there is also a value perception with Netflix. They are piling on the debt at their current pricing structure. They really need to be charging around $20 a month but will people think the service is worth that when Disney and others pull out? I don't think so.

Hydrus

They need a fantasy series.

This. A 10 episode season of Game of thrones cost $100 million. They paid Dave Chappelle $60 million for 3 comedy specials. WTF! They need to start investing in some huge series. Oh, and make it a weekly show instead of giving you everything at once. I think the whole binge watch thing is bad business.

Top Bottom