• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games redeemed by their endng

TissueBox

Have you ever played a game which was more or less so-so throughout and then you got the ending and got blown away or it wrapped things up enough in such a manner that it redeemed the experience for you?

I'm braindead atm but I'm sure there's been a couple in the recesses of my mind. MGS2 kind of counts for me, but technically it was a very proficient game, just story-wise it all came together once the dust settled.

Jawmuncher

The Last of Us was that for me. I thought the game was decent, but the ending itself was definitely the greatest part of it all.

Spec Ops thread?

I beat that game and got all 4 endings and never understood the praise for it.
The bit before the endings is really good, but the endings themselves aren't.

I don't know if it was *redeemed* per se, but FFXV ended on a much stronger note than the several hours that preceded it, in a way that correctly played to the game's narrative strengths and managed to bring it back to a point of having an emotional impact. Without that ending I'd have been actively angry at the game; as-is, I'm (in retrospect) just sort of mildly disappointed.

I don't know if it was *redeemed* per se, but FFXV ended on a much stronger note than the several hours that preceded it, in a way that correctly played to the game's narrative strengths and managed to bring it back to a point of having an emotional impact.

Man, I thought FFXV's ending was a total wet fart because the character work was so weak, especially Luna

Final Fantasy XV.

The game was undeserving of the ending. I love the ending, I just wish the rest of the story/pace was as good.

Man, I thought FFXV's ending was a total wet fart because the character work was so weak, especially Luna

It's understandable, I just think the ending has good ideas and intention. The rest of the game pulls it down, unfortunately.

I don't know if it was *redeemed* per se, but FFXV ended on a much stronger note than the several hours that preceded it, in a way that correctly played to the game's narrative strengths and managed to bring it back to a point of having an emotional impact.

Couldn't have said it better myself. While the rest of the game is an ambitious but messy and uneven effort, the ending is jaw-dropping, excellent stuff. A gut-punch in every sense of the word. I was straight shook afterward.

TissueBox

Spec Ops is a good one, though it didn't do much for me, for a lot of people it wasn't until that mindscrew turning point that an average AA shooter became something much more profound.

Conduit 2.

Are you a bad enough dude to help the presidents save the world?

Haha that may just fit the bill, actually..

jennetics

It felt amazing when the end credits for Killzone Shadow Fall started rolling. Huge feeling of relief, though, not exactly feelings of redemption. I think I felt stronger because of it? I don't really remember much other than "oh thank God I'm done".

It's not a bad game by any means, but the final mission of The Saboteur was the best part of the game handsdown because it eschewed all the ending cliches of pretty much every action game ever made when it comes to stuff like a final boss fight and one last gauntlet full of enemies for something far more effective. It really surprised me, especially because its actually rather haunting.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Game overstayed its welcome and I was glad to be done, but the ending sure was memorable.

Drakengard's ending E is what elevated the game from "trashier-than-average musou" to "artistically disturbing ludonarrative black comedy" for me. Absolutely love it now.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Game overstayed its welcome and I was glad to be done, but the ending sure was memorable.

Came to post this, it was a solid game but that ending really left the door open for a killer sequel.
....well we know how that went down but hey the ending was still a wonderful one two punch of swerves.

Griss

Last Guardian.

Yeah. I mean, I'm not sure if the ending fully redeemed the tedious parts, or if on the other hand the game was ever really bad enough to be 'redeeming', but it was by far the best part of the game and it did make the journey seem worthwhile.

That ending really was awesome, with two really great "wait, WHAT" moments. You kinda see the first one coming, but the second one was totally unexpected.

Too bad LoS 2 turned out to be hot garbage.

People saying TLG: y'all need Jesus. That game's entire back half was wall-to-wall amazing setpieces.

True Fire

Final Fantasy XV is Exhibit A. It had the story of an edgy first attempt at a YA novel by a teenage boy, but the ending was incredibly poignant out of nowhere.

bluexy

I don't necessarily understand it very well, but I absolutely hated the entirety of Final Fantasy XIII and then fell in love with the ending. I don't even remember it now. I don't know why I loved it. But I did.

Jawmuncher

Yeah. I mean, I'm not sure if the ending fully redeemed the tedious parts, or if on the other hand the game was ever really bad enough to be 'redeeming', but it was by far the best part of the game and it did make the journey seem worthwhile.

Yeah TLG is a good example as well. I played the game and got rather annoyed with it. But the ending itself did make up for more than a few things.

bluexy

Final Fantasy XV is Exhibit A. It had the story of an edgy first attempt at a YA novel by a teenage boy, but the ending was incredibly poignant out of nowhere.

Old Noctis sitting at the fire telling his friends how much he cares about them was that game. It was all for that moment.

TissueBox

Completely forgot about TLG. If it wasn't for the way the story finished, the game would've been a far less fonder memory lol.

Gameplay was endurable sure. But leave it to the Ico team to make you affected by the spirit of it all in the end.

FFXV redeemed a LOT in the post ch. 13 chapters. Story was pretty damn meh and disjointed but somehow started making sense and wrapping up. The scene with Noctics with his buds at the end? Wow. Ardyn turned out being a fantastic villain.

Polar opposite of the colossal let down that was LoS2's ending. After years of hinting that it would end the LoS saga turns out nothing happened.
Dracula is still Dracula. Satan is still dead.
Whatever.

The Samaritan Paradox seemed a so-so point-and-click adventure, with the book segments being a highlight, but then the ending wrapped up both book and real world stories with the same plot point reveal. It was pretty good.

Z..

Have you ever played a game which was more or less so-so throughout and then you got the ending and got blown away or it wrapped things up enough in such a manner that it redeemed the experience for you?

I'm braindead atm but I'm sure there's been a couple in the recesses of my mind. MGS2 kind of counts for me, but technically it was a very proficient game, just story-wise it all came together once the dust settled.

MGS2 truly shines because of it's narrative, the story is basically an afterthought, man...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Grin's Bionic Commando.
Game is so lala but the ending is just insanely stupid in a ...good way? I guess? At least it's memorable

Mandelbo

I felt Dragon's Dogma's story was fairly boring and by the books for most of the game (the game itself is fantastic all the way through, though!) But then you beat the Dragon... and everything goes batshit insane. That whole stretch from the Dragon to the true ending is utterly fantastic,
falling infinitely through the Everfall and literally fighting God especially!

Maximus P

Halo:Reach.

I was getting bored towards the end but man,
when the game goes into Horde mode at the end and you helmet cracks, I was
pumped.

shira

I look at steam stats and people don't even finish games anymore.

If a game is not completely engaging for the player, it's unlikely they will want to or have the time/skill to finish it.

Spec Ops? The ending is for the most part punctuation to what you experience before. It doesn't redeem the game at all.

Even thought it's a very good game already, I would say that Red Dead Redemption's endings make the entire experience much more than it would have been otherwise.

Espada

I felt Dragon's Dogma's story was fairly boring and by the books for most of the game (the game itself is fantastic all the way through, though!) But then you beat the Dragon... and everything goes batshit insane. That whole stretch from the Dragon to the true ending is utterly fantastic,
falling infinitely through the Everfall and literally fighting God especially!

Yup, Dragon's Dogma would be my pick for this thread. It's not a bad game at all, as the gameplay is excellent but the story is barely worth paying attention to until the part you mention. Then it becomes an incredibly entertaining ride, and the ramifications for the world are wild.

To an extent, Persona 4. The dungeon design and laborious nature of its tasks can definitely bog down the experience, but the payoff is immense as your adventures in Inaba come to a close.

antitrop

Spec Ops: The Line is fairly mundane for about half of it, but the last hour or so really pulls everything together.

Ultimadrago

Cold Steel 1 perhaps did that for me? I don't find it to be a bad game, but I was rather unimpressed until shit goes down in the final acts. It's a cliffhanger. In a way it messily tosses events in the pot hoping it'll make the best of it and it actually did improve my thoughts of the story looking back. I wouldn't say "redeemed" (as it didn't make me forget the game's prior flaws), but it certainly has me curious about how Cold Steel 2 will start off.

(This is another reminder for myself to play CS2 this year.)

You're wrong Jeff. Story had problems but the core cast was pretty great.

The core cast never really develop beyond their superficial qualities, though.

Prompto is fun and hyper!
Gladio is SERIOUS
Noctis is smart and uppity

They're suuuuuuuper thin which makes the big moments hit way less than they could, potentially.

TissueBox

MGS2 truly shines because of it's narrative, the story is basically an afterthought, man...

I see your point, although I'd contest how they meet halfway, or the terms' specifics. ;p I guess I just name dropped it because it wasn't 'til after beating it and thinking about it that I fully appreciated the enigma the game was... which ironically probably overshadows the ending, once you do think about it, but only because of the ending's implications, which means... *brain-freeze*

Top Bottom