• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Duke Nukem game by Interceptor Entertainment to be revealed in 25 days

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What "Duke is now" is a joke, and not a funny one. 3DRealms already tried making a new Duke game that gave far too much reverence to the tropes 3D established, and it was called Duke Nukem Forever. It released, and people hated it. The "babes" showed us Duke was a sexist asshole while the pigcops showed us that the developers had no imagination left. It failed in every conceivable way.

The good news is that you don't need those things to make a good Duke game. Duke can still be Duke without strippers and pigcops. I daresay he can be a better Duke without them.

Reverence to DN3D is the least of Duke Nukem Forever's problems.

Duke has always been a joke. Slapping the name Duke Nukem on another character is simply lazy, and I think that's true of most reboots.

Davey Cakes

Just make "New Duke Nukem" akin to the first two PC games.

That's all I'd want out of this series. Anything else, don't care. And somehow get Bobby Prince to do the soundtrack.

Interceptor Entertainment? The guys who did the new Rise of the Triad, right? Huh. It's a damn shame a good developer isn't tackling the next Duke Nukem game.

Raziel

I'm also personally tired of Pigcops, Turd Jokes, and a Goofy Duke Nukem.
I would love to see a Duke Nukem game, taken in a completely new direction. A way more serious and "Badass" Duke, with an epic plot. Something that really brings back Duke as an Action Hero.

That reminds me of how tired I am of strippers, babes etc. in Duke Nukem games, which only degrades Duke's intelligence even more (there is nothing wrong with Duke Liking strippers and babes, but it shouldn't be the main plot of a game). Give us a Duke game without strippers, a great sinister villain than can break Duke (Think Bane from DK:Rising), a slightly older, and way more badass/gritty Duke, and a galactic plotline that can be taken seriously, and I'm Sold!

iFHNImPr4NMRp.jpg

This guy doesn't "get it."

Raziel

Sorry, but if you think babes, strippers, pigcops and a campy Duke are the keys to a good Duke game, it's you who doesn't "get it".

I think I get it more than the guys making some out of left field thing no one was asking for (Top down action RPG), thanks.

PaulloDEC

I think I get it more than the guys making some out of left field thing no one was asking for (Top down action RPG), thanks.

I'm not sure I really want to comment much on that until we get an indisputable official announcement. The whole thing is so weird that it's either totally true or completely made-up, and I'm not sure which of those two I'm leaning towards just yet.

I understand why he made the particular statement. DNF was a joke, not only did the gameplay suck but the jokes were quite boring and lame.

However, the series doesn't need a reskin. Stay in the same universe with improvements within.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was not interested because i was expecting a lame fps, but top down?I'm in! Especially if it's also for Vita.

s_mirage

I'm not sure what to make of this. I could see Duke in some kind of Mass Effect style RPG, splicing shooter gameplay, as well as creative level design and interaction with a decent plot, but top down? Hmm, I'm not sure.....

My man.

Remember the intro with Stabbing Westward? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5nJWdHBVhQ

So awesome! Thanks for that nostalgia attack! :D

EDIT: I owned Stabbing Westward's Darkest Days Album. I think they weren't as successful after that albums release. Oh well, memories!

(EDIT: Pretty bad memory lol. TR never signed them. Stupid internet-less days! They were confused for nine inch nails a lot of times though, and I guess were good friends with Trent during the Marilyn Manson days).

Precisely. My favorite Duke Nukem is the third person Duke released on PlayStation. That was a lot of fun to play!

I always liked Zero Hour on the N64, myself.

Sounds fun, Duke needed a change in genre and I think this will be what revives it.

Duke started out as 2D platformers, so it's not like the character is limited to just one genre, anyway. Manhattan Project was a pretty good side scroller staring Duke.

PaulloDEC

This is sarcasm right?

Not even a little. If you took out the babes/strippers and replaced the pigcops with any other monster, Duke Nukem 3D would still be the same fantastic game it always was.

Likewise, making Duke more serious (note the word "more", and how it means something different to the word "entirely") wouldn't damage the game in the slightest for my money. I'm not at all suggesting he should stop being the smirking wise-cracking 80's hero he is, but the super-sleazy variant we saw in Duke Nukem Forever was absolutely not a good model for the character.

bon

Serious and gritty top down RPG...

This is pretty much the opposite of what I wanted from a new Duke Nukem.

ultrazilla

From what I understand, these guys are sitting on a remake of Duke 3D mixed
with some of the stuff that never made it into DNF. Word has it the game is phenomenal
but Gearbox put the brakes on it not wanting to cannabalize DNF sales. There are a few
screenshots floating around.

PaulloDEC

Oh well, guess it's a good thing you're not designing any new Duke games.

Duke Nukem
Strippers: 0
Babes: 0
Pigcops: 0
Great game? Yes.

Duke Nukem II
Great game? Yes.

Duke Nukem Forever
Strippers: Loads.
Babes: Tons.
Pigcops: Hundreds.
Great game? Not even close.

You see what I'm getting at, right? You might've enjoyed the Pigcops and the strippers, and while neither is fundamentally bad, they also aren't what made Duke Nukem 3D a great game. In the case of DNF, you could make a very valid argument that they actually made the game worse.

TnK

I thought we would get something like RotT. I loved that game, and if the new Duke is something similar then it would have been awesome. Dunno if a top down RPG game is going to be good or not.

I can't get the image of Michael Scott (The Office) screaming No a few times, out of my head when I think about a Duke Nukem sequel.

Duke Nukem
Great game? Yes.

Duke Nukem II
Great game? Yes.

Duke Nukem Forever

You see what I'm getting at, right? You might've enjoyed the Pigcops and the strippers, and while neither is fundamentally bad, they also aren't what made Duke Nukem 3D a great game. In the case of DNF, you could make a very valid argument that they actually made the game worse.

There was nothing wrong with this stuff in Duke 3D, as it added a bit of juvenile fun. But underneath it was was a really solid game with some great level design and versatile weapons. Yeah, the space episode was probably the weakest, but I liked L.A. Meltdown, Shrapnel City and the atomic edition episode The Birth, a lot.

I had so much fun playing 4 player death match over the phone lines (pre-internet), back in the day, the unique weapons just made it such a blast. Flying around with the jet pack and dropping pipe bombs on people heads, ricocheting ice blasts around corners, shrinking yourself to hide, carefully placing trip mines, and using the holoduke rapidly to "ghost" yourself in close fire fights. Co-op was great too.

PaulloDEC

There was nothing wrong with this stuff in Duke 3D, as it added a bit of juvenile fun. But underneath it was was a really solid game with some great level design and versatile weapons.

Exactly. Some people dug the sleaze, and I get that, but it simply isn't the be-all and end-all that some people think it is.

I had so much fun playing 4 player death match over the phone lines (pre-internet), back in the day, the unique weapons just made it such a blast. Flying around with the jet pack and dropping pipe bombs on people heads, ricocheting ice blasts around corners, shrinking yourself to hide, carefully placing trip mines, and using the holoduke rapidly to "ghost" yourself in close fire fights. Co-op was great too.

This is the important stuff. Nobody gives a crap about the strippers when there's enemies in the room and they've got fun weapons to shoot them with.

tsumineko

Duke Nukem
Great game? Yes.

Duke Nukem II
Great game? Yes.

Duke Nukem Forever

As I said, it's a good thing you're not the one designing Duke games. Everything coming together made Duke 3D a great game, something original in a sea of Doom clones. My opinion isn't fact, and neither is yours.

PaulloDEC

As I said, it's a good thing you're not the one designing Duke games. Everything coming together made Duke 3D a great game, something original in a sea of Doom clones. My opinion isn't fact, and neither is yours.

I'm not denying that Duke 3D was a perfect storm. I'm refuting the suggestion that a developer wanting to make a Duke Nukem game with a serious plot and without strippers and pigcops means they don't understand Duke. By that logic, the people who created Duke don't understand Duke.

If you really believe that a Duke Nukem game can't be good if it isn't an action-movie pastiche packing strippers and old enemies by the truckload, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

G-Fex

Sorry, but if you think babes, strippers, pigcops and a campy Duke are the keys to a good Duke game, it's you who doesn't "get it".

Yeah but these things are what make Duke Nukem...Duke fucking Nukem.

Rip it out and you've got blander shit this side of New Tomb Raider.

I'm not saying the humor has to be obscenely dated like Forever but it can be done right.

gabbo

I'm always down for more Duke, so I'll wait and see where this ends up.
Would prefer WFH and Interceptor both made new Duke games, or collabed on one, but for now a top down rpg of sorts will do, until Duke5.

Yes, more Duke Nukem, the better! This time I hope they got it right!

Duke Nukem needs to be infamous and outrageous, like 3D was. Forever wasn't at all, not to mention the level design was lame and boring, something 3D was the best at it.

kasane

Yes, more Duke Nukem, the better! This time I hope they got it right!

Duke Nukem needs to be infamous and outrageous, like 3D was. Forever wasn't at all, not to mention the level design was lame and boring, something 3D was the best at it.

Yes it is infamous.... for being bad

Foaloal

I didn't hate Duke Nukem Forever.

It was by no means great, and a lot of the "humor" was either juvenile or offensive, but I still had an ok time with the game, and I liked a lot of the somewhat hidden interactive things.

I think that without all the pitfalls and roadblocks DNF faced that a good game can still be made with the franchise.

PaulloDEC

Yeah but these things are what make Duke Nukem...Duke fucking Nukem.

Rip it out and you've got blander shit this side of New Tomb Raider.

I'm not saying the humor has to be obscenely dated like Forever but it can be done right.

Maybe I'm all alone in this, but Duke Nukem for me isn't about ticking off a checklist of features from 1996.

Duke Nukem for me is about fast-paced action, creative and exciting weapons, detailed interactive environments and a smirking, wise-cracking hero with a blonde flat-top. Anyone who can get those things right can make a great Duke game, IMO.

viveks86

Wasn't totally crazy about the Rise of the Triad remake, but this is happy news. Go full stupid, embrace the Duke, keep it fast and dumb, and I'll be there.

^This!

nitially hinted and later confirmed because Gearbox saw how much better it looked and player than Duke Nukem Forever that they couldn't possibly allow for it to be released.

WTF?!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm all alone in this, but Duke Nukem for me isn't about ticking off a checklist of features from 1996.

Duke Nukem for me is about fast-paced action, creative and exciting weapons, detailed interactive environments and a smirking, wise-cracking hero with a blonde flat-top. Anyone who can get those things right can make a great Duke game, IMO.

No I agree with you as I've loved Duke games since the beginning and whilst he's always loved the babes he never really came across as very sleazy. DNF took Duke in a far sleazier direction than we were used to seeing compared to the other games. I felt the DLC handled this better, where they had humour centred around Duke and his interaction with his clones.

You can make a serious game and still have a wise cracking Duke you just don't need titty slapping :p

I won't mind seeing where a new game could take this series. I was actually a fan of the old DOS sidescrollers, so this series can definitely work as more than a FPS with jokes that felt like they were rejected from the Saints Row series.

Even more proof the bombcast is overrated schlock.

becuz den dey wudnt be so witteh and funneh lel girstman an bombcasts lelz!
Damn, haven't seen an overreaction this bad in a while! I'd say this is more evidence you care a little too much about this series to accept any views other than your own and not even be able to handle a simple joke made at the expense at the terrible humor of DNF.

Top-down ARPG? For real? Well, that's certainly something different.

How sure are we about the "translation"? The writing's pretty goofy - mentioning "Playstation" without specifying a platform? Referring to "an unreal engine"? Seems a little weird. Fishy, even.

Hooray, more people who think Duke Nukem begins and ends with the dumbest excesses of Duke Nukem 3D.

They can't use numbers due to the encoding/code they used, you wouldn't be able to decipher them.

"Unreal Engine 3", "PlayStation 4" etc. So they omit them.

The only instance of a number in some form in that text is "TD Realms" -> ThreeD Realms -> 3D Realms.

Kuroyume

Banned
Top-down ARPG? For real? Well, that's certainly something different.

How sure are we about the "translation"? The writing's pretty goofy - mentioning "Playstation" without specifying a platform? Referring to "an unreal engine"? Seems a little weird. Fishy, even.

Hooray, more people who think Duke Nukem begins and ends with the dumbest excesses of Duke Nukem 3D.

Hooray, someone who doesn't realize the last 80 DN games were based off Duke 3D version of the chracter. And that version is the most popular version. And that the 2d games culd have been generic anything. And were released like 20 years ago and have little relevance. HOORAY

sega4ever

wow what an idiot, i played duke 1 and 2 and your so fucking wrong. this is what the duke games originally looked like.

dukenukem1.jpg

then the developers decided to change the genre, add it strippers, ect then we got duke nukem 3d.

the franchise might as well be dead, now this other developer wants to change genre, add it elements not seen in the series before and its only now your butt hurt?

i don't know if its going to be as great as duke nukem 3d but its at least better than duke nukem forever

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That stuff was outrageous at the time but ultimately was not what made Duke 3D so good.

For one thing, FPS games in the 90s were really limited by technology and Ken Silverman's Build engine was about as high-end as sector based engines ever became. Things we take for granted these days were revolutionary in Duke 3D. Sloped surfaces, rooms above rooms, and impressive sprite handling capabilities all came together to produce level design and visuals unlike anything else at the time.

All those weird little interactive bits and the more controversial stuff was definitely a big news item and received plenty of attention but I'm convinced that none of it would have mattered if the level design and game engine had been shit.

PaulloDEC

Hooray, someone who doesn't realize the last 80 DN games were based off Duke 3D version of the chracter. And that version is the most popular version. And that the 2d games culd have been generic anything. And were released like 20 years ago and have little relevance. HOORAY

I'm well aware of all of that. Feel free to read any of my last half-dozen posts if you're interested in my response.

Top Bottom