• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Fjordson

What a great day. And I can enjoy the draft and summer league this year. After the 3-1 debacle I had shut out any sort of basketball coverage for months.

Leggo

15538283_1121098091272406_1364448652524781568_n.jpg

Please no... Let the Sixers take someone else on instead of this tool..

So is GM LeBron finally going to form a super team this off season?

"Q: You've been a part of two superteams, the one you have here, the one you had in Miami, looking at what the Golden State Warriors have done, are you still a fan of the concept? Do you think it's a good thing for the NBA to build these teams how they brought in Kevin? You get what I'm asking?

LEBRON JAMES: No, not really. I don't believe I've played for a superteam. I don't believe in that. I don't believe we're a superteam here. So, no, I don't really, I don't -- you guys want one more question before I leave and not see you guys for a long time?"

Seriously, as much as I like Lebron as a player, he is such a fucking douchebag at times. He never played for a superteam? He joined forces with 2 in their prime HoFers and then when they got old and broke he left to play with 2 younger versions of them. I just wish he wasn't such a salty insecure asshole.

Not to mention throwing his guys under a bus to make himself look slightly better as if he even needed to do that. Sorry to play sports psychiatrist, but I really feel he says this stupid shit because he knows he will never be MJ and he just can't let go.

Servbot24

Banned
Cavs, you need to make changes if you want to beat GSW. We'd be willing to help you out and give you PG13 for LeBron. Play your cards right and we might even give you Teague for Irving.

FZZ

Banned
Please no... Let the Sixers take someone else on instead of this tool..

How the fuck is he a tool

Some of you guys and your irrational hate for players is fucking weird

It's like me calling Fultz a degenerate for no reason

Seriously, as much as I like Lebron as a player, he is such a fucking douchebag at times. He never played for a superteam? He joined forces with 2 in their prime HoFers and then when they got old and broke he left to play with 2 younger versions of them. I just wish he wasn't such a salty insecure asshole.

Not to mention throwing his guys under a bus to make himself look slightly better as if he even needed to do that. Sorry to play sports psychiatrist, but I really feel he says this stupid shit because he knows he will never be MJ and he just can't let go.

You truly are Bam Bam reincarnate

Bread

Banned

lol dude you have to understand that people are not going to like Ball for many reasons

Cornbread78

Team Banana Boat already missed its window.

Nope, it could still happen next year with no issues if Griffen leaves and CP3 stays.

6eR10wk.png

CP3 (FA)
Wade (FA)
Rose (FA)
Bron (player option for 2018)
Anthony (Team Option for 2018)

All with the Clips next season...

yeah, Banana Boat retirement party in LA for the 2018/19 season.

Calm down dude. You act like you're related to the guy or something LOL!! And yes when you show up to a team workout for a team that will potentially draft you. Showing up out of shape for the workout makes you a tool... Especially when it's the team you and your family are dying to play for.

Why don't you address the point he made instead of doing whatever this is? That's something I've noticed about some folks around here. You constantly talk about how I "ruin" these threads but have I ever deviated from talking about the actual game itself? Have I ever went after people personally?

All I've ever done is express my deep deep dislike of Lebron James AS A PLAYER. Lionel is right, he is completely insecure and passive aggressive. The first thing he does is talk about how he did everything he could while passive aggressively throwing his team under the bus and then he acts like the Heat was not a super team. It's ridiculous to anyone who is not one of his sycophants to hear.

Servbot24

Banned
Nope, it could still happen next year with no issues if Griffen leaves and CP3 stays.

6eR10wk.png

CP3 (FA)
Wade (FA)
Rose (FA)
Bron (player option for 2018)
Anthony (Team Option for 2018)

All with the Clips next season...

yeah, Banana Boat retirement party in LA for the 2018/19 season.
I don't think that team is even that good tbh... though LeBron and CP3 would be amazing

FZZ

Banned
lol dude you have to understand that people are not going to like Ball for many reasons

I am okay with people not wanting a player for actual reasons, not seeing a piece fit within a franchise, seeing actual potential issues with their play. But blatant hating is tiring to see, same shit happens with LeBron for literally no reason and seeing a person dedicate their time to just hate on one player for no actual reason other than things concocted in their head is brazy.

I'm more for homerism than I am hating for no reason (obviously by my Lonzo homerism).

It's why I respect posters like Fjordson, dude loves his team but doesn't go out of his way to shit on players while supporting them.

With all that said Fuck Paul Pierce tho

Calm down dude. You act like you're related to the guy or something LOL!! And yes when you show up to a team workout for a team that will potentially draft you. Showing up out of shape for the workout makes you a tool... Especially when it's the team you and your family are dying to play for.

Being out of shape still doesn't equate to being a tool

And the workouts are scheduled by his agent, not him

Lonzo would be a great fit on Philly

Why don't you address the point he made instead of doing whatever this is? That's something I've noticed about some folks around here. You constantly talk about how I "ruin" these threads but have I ever deviated from talking about the actual game itself? Have I ever went after people personally?

All I've ever done is express my deep deep dislike of Lebron James AS A PLAYER. Lionel is right, he is completely insecure and passive aggressive. The first thing he does is talk about how he did everything he could while passive aggressively throwing his team under the bus and then he acts like the Heat was not a super team. It's ridiculous to anyone who is not one of his sycophants to hear.

You're reading so much into a dude's comments and you dedicate every post to hating on him it's tiring. Outside of LeBron I actually agree with you on like every topic (politics, social issues, etc) on GAF lmao. I just think you bought into the LeBron media dynamic where dude has a microscope on every thing he does, and as such it reverberates throughout all of sports media. And what the media thrives off of is LeBron haters and LeBron lovers. We are all part of the grand scheme it seems.

but posts like this

"And then Lebron says, I'm gonna have a winning record in the finals too!"

basketball_michael_jordan_nba_kobe_bryant_93712_3840x2400-1366x768.jpg

Come on breh, it's unneeded.

I am okay with people not wanting a player for actual reasons, not seeing a piece fit within a franchise, seeing actual potential issues with their play. But blatant hating is tiring to see, same shit happens with LeBron for literally no reason and seeing a person dedicate their time to just hate on one player for no actual reason other than things concocted in their head is brazy.

I'm more for homerism than I am hating for no reason (obviously by my Lonzo homerism).

It's why I respect posters like Fjordson, dude loves his team but doesn't go out of his way to shit on players while supporting them.

Being out of shape still doesn't equate to being a tool

And the workouts are scheduled by his agent, not him

Lonzo would fit horribly in Philly. The last thing they need is another ball handler with an ugly shot and a mouthy father who'll cause distractions to the way a team is run through the media when things don't go his childs way.

You're reading so much into a dude's comments and you dedicate every post to hating on him it's tiring. Outside of LeBron I actually agree with you on like every topic (politics, social issues, etc) on GAF lmao. I just think you bought into the LeBron media dynamic where dude has a microscope on every thing he does, and as such it reverberates throughout all of sports media. And what the media thrives off of is LeBron haters and LeBron lovers. We are all part of the grand scheme it seems.

but posts like this

Come on breh, it's unneeded.

There fixed... Hopefully Philly isn't dumb enough to take this kid and maybe use him as bait to convince a team like Sactown to trade up and land an additional 1st rounder in the top 10.

Of course being out of shape for a draft workout equates to being a tool.. That's like showing up to a job interview in dirty track pants. and not knowing what position you've applied for.

beat

Sorry, I didn't mean they missed their window to form Team Banana Boat. I meant due to player aging that the window for Team Banana Boat to be a legit contender has passed.

Cornbread78

I don't think that team is even that good tbh... though LeBron and CP3 would be amazing

Jordan has a player option for 2018 as well, do there could be plenty of space..

Sorry, I didn't mean they missed their window to form Team Banana Boat. I meant due to player aging that the window for Team Banana Boat to be a legit contender has passed.

True, but they would just be a bunch of bros hanging out; gentlemen's club environment

FZZ

Banned
There fixed... Hopefully Philly isn't dumb enough to take this kid and maybe use him as bait to convince a team like Sactown to trade up and land an additional 1st rounder in the top 10.

Of course being out of shape for a draft workout equates to being a tool.. That's like showing up to a job interview in dirty track pants. and not knowing what position you've applied for.

Aight there's a lot in your post that is just flat out wrong so lets get into it. Lonzo is a low usage player who plays off ball very well, in Philly he would not be the primary ball handler (Simmons would) and he doesn't need to be. He would run your transition offense and most likely would lead to the smartest pass and the most open player. A team full of great passers with high IQ is a bad thing?

In addition Philly needs a shooter, idc if his form is wonky. It goes in, at a 41% clip from three. His TS% is 67.9, unheard of for freshmen PGs.

His father caused zero issues with UCLA and has already said he would not interfere with any team. Him going to the media and saying dumb shit would not do anything to a professional sports organization, and if it does than that indicates a bigger issue with the culture of the FO and team.

And also high chance the report of him being out of shape was bullshit as well

(Guy who personally responds to every post about Lonzo Ball now calling others weird for having irrational feelings about him)

I literally said I'm more for being a homer than a hater

Pushing people down is better than putting people up?

Aight there's a lot in your post that is just flat out wrong so lets get into it. Lonzo is a low usage player who plays off ball very well, in Philly he would not be the primary ball handler (Simmons would) and he doesn't need to be. He would run your transition offense and most likely would lead to the smartest pass and the most open player. A team full of great passers with high IQ is a bad thing?

In addition Philly needs a shooter, idc if his form is wonky. It goes in, at a 41% clip from three. His TS% is 67.9, unheard of for freshmen PGs.

His father caused zero issues with UCLA and has already said he would not interfere with any team. Him going to the media and saying dumb shit would not do anything to a professional sports organization, and if it does than that indicates a bigger issue with the culture of the FO and team.

And also high chance the report of him being out of shape was bullshit as well

I literally said I'm more for being a homer than a hater

Pushing people down is better than putting people up?

shooting 41% from the arc in college doesn't translate the same to the NBA. The line is much further back plus he'll struggle to get his shot off with the athleticism of most NBA guards. He isn't running squat in the NBA with guards that are stronger and faster than him. The Sixers want Simmons to be their primary ballhandler and are probably better off drafting De'Aaron Fox who despite having a weak jumper can get himself open and wreak havoc with his speed. The only thing Lonzo has going for him is his length. He's not that athletic which will come to bite him in the ass in the NBA. Heck I'd rather have Malik Monk than Lonzo on the roster. To add to the mix what happens when his rookie contract is up? He's gonna lead the Sixers on going into free agency and just walk on over to LA. No point taking a chance on this kid.

FZZ

Banned
Lonzo is known to shoot from well beyond the college 3 point arc. He has Curry range, his shot release is 0.47 seconds, only 0.02 slower than Klay Thompson who's release is 0.45. His IQ is also so high he wouldn't go for a bad or contested shot unless he could drain it.

And again he has above average athleticism.

your arguments are all conjecture man

A lot of people on the sixers subreddit want him lol

Like I said though, still hoping Lakers take him but all these rumors make it seem like we are gonna get JJ who I'm fine with but lack zero confidence in him developing a shot at all

I think you're overestimating people "hating" Lebron. I don't hate him, I think he's probably a cool dude and he's a tremendous basketball player. I'm sure the same is true for a lot of the others "Lebron haters". However, a lot of the things he says are somewhat unsportsmanlike and that's just not cool. Even JR played a somewhat competent game, why throw your teammates under the bus? And yet it's not like I go crazy like HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE HE SAID THAT OMG I'M DYING like an anime girl, but I'm more like why man you're a literal basketball god, why projecting that insecurity?

And if you still think I am driven to hate him or shit, you seem to defend him equally intensely. We're the same here my man, just on "different sides". It's just sports talk.
Yeah I agree

I think you're overestimating people "hating" Lebron. I don't hate him, I think he's probably a cool dude and he's a tremendous basketball player. I'm sure the same is true for a lot of the others "Lebron haters". However, a lot of the things he says are somewhat unsportsmanlike and that's just not cool. Even JR played a somewhat competent game, why throw your teammates under the bus? And yet it's not like I go crazy like HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE HE SAID THAT OMG I'M DYING like an anime girl, but I'm more like why man you're a literal basketball god, why projecting that insecurity?

And if you still think I am driven to hate him or shit, you seem to defend him equally intensely. We're the same here my man, just on "different sides". It's just sports talk.

Tom Penny

"We are definitely not in punt mode," Ainge said. "But trading away picks and promising young players for a veteran who might be 5 percent better is not in our plans, either."

Dummy. Trade everything for Jimmy Butler or PG13 without any commitment from him.

Jarate

Banned
As a Sixers fan, give me Lonzo Ball please.

Ball
Robert Covington
Ben Simmons
Dario Saric
Joel Embiid

*IF* that lineup stay healthy I can see them getting something like the 6th seen this year in the east. Ball, Covington, embiid and Saric can all hit 3's, 3 great defenders in Covington, Embiid and Simmons, and 3 really good passers as well.

I'm so hype guy, we're going to take out the Cavs this year fam

gutshot

Ball
Robert Covington
Ben Simmons
Dario Saric
Joel Embiid

*IF* that lineup stay healthy I can see them getting something like the 6th seen this year in the east. Ball, Covington, embiid and Saric can all hit 3's, 3 great defenders in Covington, Embiid and Simmons, and 3 really good passers as well.

Yeah, that lineup would be sweet.

I also wouldn't be totally opposed to trading with Sac and getting 5 & 10 and then taking Monk and BPA. I would be less willing to do that if Ball falls, but still would seriously think about it because Monk is such a good fit on this team.

Jarate

Banned
Jimmy Butler is 5% better then Marcus Smart confirmed

But does that ignore when Marcus Smart gets into the playoffs and becomes 1000X better?

Tom Penny

Jimmy Butler is 5% better then Marcus Smart confirmed

But does that ignore when Marcus Smart gets into the playoffs and becomes 1000X better?

Well he wouldn't be replacing Smart for one..Butler got out played by Bradley a few times in the playoffs. Why would you trade say Bradley and the number 1 pick for him? If Embiid is healthy 76ers will make the playoffs. You basically just have to be .500 in the East.

Ball
Robert Covington
Ben Simmons
Dario Saric
Joel Embiid

I'm sure they'll try it, but on paper I hate looking at line ups with Ben at SF and Dario at PF.

Much prefer line up prototypes that are like

X
TLC
Roco
Simmons
Embiid

I'm not really all that big on Ball (for the Sixers, he looks pretty sick in the right spot) and while the idea of having more elite passing is great and it would look good, I really think they've gotta nail someone with a more selfish ability to score this or next off season to go with Simmons/Embiid, since I'm not sure Simmons has a high scoring ceiling and I think you really need 2 guys who can be 26+ ppg guys who can go off for more when needed when it comes down to ultimately winning titles.

I think you end up getting diminishing returns having Simmons/Ball on the same team even if the highlights would be incredible.

So is GM LeBron finally going to form a super team this off season?

"Q: You've been a part of two superteams, the one you have here, the one you had in Miami, looking at what the Golden State Warriors have done, are you still a fan of the concept? Do you think it's a good thing for the NBA to build these teams how they brought in Kevin? You get what I'm asking?

LEBRON JAMES: No, not really. I don't believe I've played for a superteam. I don't believe in that. I don't believe we're a superteam here. So, no, I don't really, I don't -- you guys want one more question before I leave and not see you guys for a long time?"

9wrDO_s-200x150.gif

This is why I don't like Lebron. He is one of the most gifted basketball players in the world, but he's such a fucking tool. Just call a spade a spade, no one is bashing you anymore for what you did. You linked up with DWade and Bosh (both of whom were perennial all-stars and top players at the time) to form a superteam to compete against Boston's superteam. And then when the Heat were exposing themselves as getting older and not being as strong as they once were, you bailed to go to Cleveland and create a superteam using the same formula you had, Kyrie as your backcourt guy and then wanted Kevin Love to join the Cavs. You might not be at the same level as Golden State, but clearly you tried to form a superteam.

That question Lebron got asked was stupid and it got treated with the disdain it deserved, it was the last question asked in his presser for the year after he just lost in the finals, you'd think given that opportunity you'd ask something a little better than that.

the Josh Jackson promise thing makes no sense. Teams drafting 2nd overall don't have to promise players anything, especially since the odds of the Celts taking Jackson are next to none. Jackson/Ball/Fox are all inthat same tier so I wouldn't be surprised if JJ is on their radar, but the idea that it's a promise smells like an intentional leak. Misinformation is all over the place this time of year.

That question Lebron got asked was stupid and it got treated with the disdain it deserved, it was the last question asked in his presser for the year after he just lost in the finals, you'd think given that opportunity you'd ask something a little better than that.

The same guy that said before:

"Well, I think it's just part of my calling to just go against teams in the midst of a dynasty. This has been the best team in our league the last three years. They won a championship, and last year it was the greatest regular-season team we had played, probably one of the best postseason teams that everybody's ever seen as well, but we were just able to overcome that. And they're playing like one of the best teams once again. So like I said, there have been times throughout my career where I just played teams that were just in the midst of something that can last for a long time. And obviously this team is built to be able to do that with the talent that they have."

and now all of the sudden that question is stupid? It reeks more of salt and inability to call a spade a spade. Never mind that NBA greats have had no problems talking about if superteams are good for the league.

The same guy that said before:

"Well, I think it's just part of my calling to just go against teams in the midst of a dynasty. This has been the best team in our league the last three years. They won a championship, and last year it was the greatest regular-season team we had played, probably one of the best postseason teams that everybody's ever seen as well, but we were just able to overcome that. And they're playing like one of the best teams once again. So like I said, there have been times throughout my career where I just played teams that were just in the midst of something that can last for a long time. And obviously this team is built to be able to do that with the talent that they have."

and now all of the sudden that question is stupid? It reeks more of salt and inability to call a spade a spade. Never mind that NBA greats have had no problems talking about if superteams are good for the league.

If you say so, I watched the presser live and it just came out as a "why would you ask that in that moment" kind of question as the last thing you're going to want him to talk about for the season.

Top Bottom