• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

I'm laughed at the ridiculous shades he was wearing. Reninding you that he's no longer hiding that he's shady as shit.

That or it's cause
he's the one who beat up rumour!Hitler in this timeline.
:p

Does Atlus ever offer discounts on DLC?

Because I really want some of those but fuck, I just can't justify cashing out that much money on a piece of equipment and a music track.

I've got half a mind to wait for the anticipated announcement in August to make sure there's no remake on the horizon before spending any more.

Lynx_7

Does Atlus ever offer discounts on DLC?

Because I really want some of those but fuck, I just can't justify cashing out that much money on a piece of equipment and a music track.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
What song does the crane game in Akihabara play? Is it the Junes song or something else? I really recognise it but can't quite put my finger on it.

Dantis

C-LkYEnWsAAjy6Z.jpg

I'm done. And it's time to eat crow.

When I played through in Japanese, I really didn't like the ending. The game takes a turn in its second half that I didn't appreciate, and (shockingly) due to my lack of context, didn't understand. It turns out that the direction it takes is so that it can wrap everything together thematically, and then say "This is what the game's been about. Everything else is scenery. This is what you should take away from this experience.".

The ending delivers the most direct message that Hashino has ever delivered in one of his games, to the point that it feels like the game is speaking directly to the audience at points.

Persona 5 is really big, and really weird. It's sometimes mature and often immature. It looks amazing for a game which is technically five years behind the curve and a very unnatural sounding script. It's also a tremendous experience, and I think it's been worth the wait.

By the time the credits rolled, contrary to my months of protest, I really did feel something.

tumblr_inline_mpot3mdVwF1qz4rgp.png

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it more now that you got what was happening and what everyone was saying. I still haven't got the game in English, and I'm still undecided if I should get P5, Nier:A or the KH collection.

What is it? I can't recall right now.

It's something involving an endgame twist.
(SAID ENDGAME TWIST AHOY)
In the velvet room, after everyone's assembled, Igor gets a cut in and says: "*chuckle* I am truly looking forward to this!"

Now that I think about it, they can work together as parts 1 and 2.

It's something involving an endgame twist.
(SAID ENDGAME TWIST AHOY)
In the velvet room, after everyone's assembled, Igor gets a cut in and says: "*chuckle* I am truly looking forward to this!"
I mean, the image itself, wouldn't really be a spoiler though, would it? But still,
better safe than sorry.

DNAbro

When I played through in Japanese, I really didn't like the ending. The game takes a turn in its second half that I didn't appreciate, and (shockingly) due to my lack of context, didn't understand. It turns out that the direction it takes is so that it can wrap everything together thematically, and then say "This is what the game's been about. Everything else is scenery. This is what you should take away from this experience.".

The ending delivers the most direct message that Hashino has ever delivered in one of his games, to the point that it feels like the game is speaking directly to the audience at points.

Persona 5 is really big, and really weird. It's sometimes mature and often immature. It looks amazing for a game which is technically five years behind the curve and a very unnatural sounding script. It's also a tremendous experience, and I think it's been worth the wait.

By the time the credits rolled, contrary to my months of protest, I really did feel something.

told you

Mediking

Max Mittleman.

He certainly does a good job as a character I'm not all that fond of tbh.

As for Matt Mercer, he's Matt Mercer. Nothing more need be said.

He's great, but let's not get crazy.

Nobody should win anything with this shonky script. Especially not in a year with a new Uncharted and potentially new God of War (if that first trailer was anything to go by). Heck, Assassin's Creed comes out too, and that'll probably have better VO than Persona.

The script maybe a shonky... but I still say Max Mittleman deserves some kind of recognition or praise for his voice work with Ryuji. Ryuji really feels like his own person. Same goes for Morgana and even Ann/Makoto at times.

I think playing with Japanese voices made the wonky script a bit less apparent. The JP cast did a phenomenal job, with Miyano Mamoru's Ryuji being the stand out performance for me probably. I'm sure the dub is good, but damn it feels good to finally play the game like this haha.

From my basic understanding of Japanese, there were some super literal translations there, though. Wondering why they went with that. Kinda went about reinterpreting some of the more literal lines with context as I played, personally.

Also Dantis, I don't see how those games are comparable VO/Translation wise at all, seeing as their western titles in their native language. This is issue isn't exclusive to just Persona. It's a problem with like 90% of Japanese games.

goodmourning

Neo Member
I just got a game over on the first dungeon. I had no idea this calling card shit was a thing. I got rolled back a week and lost a lot of progress and I'm salty about it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
By the way, the items you get at the end of a Social Link are for fusing the highest level persona of the corresponding arcana.
Ah, right. Thanks!
Glad to see you're enjoying it.
And it's always nice to see another Yukiko fan. :p

As for romance acknowledgment, I'd gladly give it up if it meant Rise would dial it back a bit. It seemed like the game is convinced she's 'the one'™ back on the PS2.

At least Golden managed to dilute that a bit.
Yeah, Yukiko's great.
I thought she was a bit dull at the start of the game but both her Social Link and character development throughout the events so far have been pretty cool.
Very charming character.

Rise is a bit annoying. Although I haven't finished her S-Link yet, so that opinion may change.
Unfortunately, i'm not playing Golden. :p

Now for something rather different: does anybody have any tips & tricks for catching the Guardian?
I received the Quest from the fox and the Angler's set from the old man.
Should I continue fishing on rainy nights? Is catching the darn thing just a matter of luck?

Ah, right. Thanks!

Yeah, Yukiko's great.
I thought she was a bit dull at the start of the game but both her Social Link and character development throughout the events so far have been pretty cool.
Very charming character.

Rise is a bit annoying. Although I haven't finished her S-Link yet, so that opinion may change.
Unfortunately, i'm not playing Golden. :p

Now for something rather different: does anybody have any tips & tricks for catching the Guardian?
I received the Quest from the fox and the Angler's set from the old man.
Should I continue fishing on rainy nights? Is catching the darn thing just a matter of luck?

iirc, you'd be best off saving time ordering the huge fish combo from Tanaka, then showing that to the old man to get the good rod when the quest rolls around.

And as for actually catching it, only bother on rainy nights, wait for the biggest and slowest ripples, and save beforehand so you don't waste a day.

Setsu00

I just got a game over on the first dungeon. I had no idea this calling card shit was a thing. I got rolled back a week and lost a lot of progress and I'm salty about it.

Have you by chance skipped most dialogue? Otherwise I have no idea how you could miss a.) the giantic countdown on the screen and b.) the constant reminders to get the dungeon done and send a calling card.

FluxWaveZ

Have you by chance skipped most dialogue? Otherwise I have no idea how you could miss a.) the giantic countdown on the screen and b.) the constant reminders to get the dungeon done and send a calling card.

The game doesn't make it clear that you'll need an additional day to send the calling card and truly finish a dungeon; it took me by surprise as well.

Still, there is an alarming number of players who kept the dungeons until the very last minute, and have been caught off-guard by this mechanic as a result. It's very odd to me that so many people would keep something so crucial until the last second, but so many people have posted about it that I guess it's a common mindset.

You actually don't learn that you need to send a calling card until after you reach the end of the palace--there's nothing during the first countdown that warns you about needing a couple extra days after reaching the end of the dungeon until you've already done so. I cut it pretty close in the end because I had assumed it was like P4 where the boss would simply be at the end of the dungeon and there's nothing to make you think otherwise until then. I think this is a definite fault of the game.

In addition to what Green Mamba said, there's so much shit on the screen all the time that I didn't even notice the countdown until the second palace.

The game doesn't make it clear that you'll need an additional day to send the calling card and truly finish a dungeon; it took me by surprise as well.

Still, there is an alarming number of players who kept the dungeons until the very last minute, and have been caught off-guard by this mechanic as a result. It's very odd to me that so many people would keep something so crucial until the last second, but so many people have posted about it that I guess it's a common mindset.

I found the first palace's treasure with 5 days remaining, spent a day making lock picks and a day opening chests I missed with them because I didn't know whether or not you would be able to go open locked chests or if you go straight to the boss.

If I hadn't tried to go in earlier, I wouldn't have gotten the bit of exposition regarding the calling card.

goodmourning

Neo Member

Nothing in the dialogue has said anything about a calling card. Like others have said they don't even bring up the calling card until you reach the treasure. I waited until the last day to get the treasure because I assumed it'd be a boss fight and I'd be done.

Well seeing the bad end was a definite surprise though.

Mediking

Newcomers prolly wanna experience other stuff besides battling and they get addicted to it.

Seasoned veterans attack the dungeons early and enjoy the days in peace.

goodmourning

Neo Member
Newcomers prolly wanna experience other stuff besides battling and they get addicted to it.

Seasoned veterans attack the dungeons early and enjoy the days in peace.

I know I'm going to spend a lot of time in combat and there's so much stuff to see in the game. I wanted to see it all. I got greedy :(

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm gonna have to grind out some cash and levels soon since I'm only level 45 and it's already mid october lol. I suspect this game thinks you'll beat it at ~60 or so?

I have this thing where I refuse to enter a final boss in a persona game without lucifer :p

I know that you get the ability to summon higher level personas for a cost at rank 10 with the strength confidant but I am assuming that's gonna get really expensive.

I beat the game at 71 on normal and didn't even think the final boss was that much of a challenge. 80 must be a cakewalk.

I was on hard, but yeah, one of the easiest full bosses in the game.
I did die once, but that was due to using a charged AOE physical attack and not realising that one of his arms reflected phys. So I did a better job at killing myself that he did.

In typical Atlus fashion, I had the most trouble with the first couple of bosses.

Lynx_7

Do you still hold the opinion that the entire second half is significantly weaker, or did you change your mind about that?

Olengie

So, Ive been telling myself I would marathon Persona 5 during the weekend. So the weekend came and I only played for a few hours. LOL. Didn't finish as much as I expected. Just found Palace 4's Treasure. Got lazy to take the Heart, so I stopped playing. And now it's Monday. :( LOL

Atlus Discusses Desire to Grow Within the Industry, Persona 6 Needing to Surpass Persona 5, Studio Overview

So looks like they intend to make Persona 6 with the current P studio staff + freshly hired people and won't wait for Hashino and co to finish making Project Re Zero.

Down for Persona 6. But then I wnt the spin off games too. D;

I can feel Persona 3 Dancing coming.

Atlus Discusses Desire to Grow Within the Industry, Persona 6 Needing to Surpass Persona 5, Studio Overview

So looks like they intend to make Persona 6 with the current P studio staff + freshly hired people and won't wait for Hashino and co to finish making Project Re Zero.

If they want to have Persona reach a wider audience, IMO they should consider not making every game about high school life and instead focus on adults and adult issues, as they did with Catherine. Well I can't speak for the Japanese audience, but I think this would increase interest in the west.

Although it's just one group of employees, it's nice to see so many women working there. I'm kind of surprised.

Ulong

I can not find these damned trance twins in yukiko's castle for the life of me. I don't know why I'm even doing the side quests, but I have some grim need to be completionist.

Edit: The trick to finding them was to complain about it on the internet and they would instantly appear. I guess the phantom thieve's changed their hearts for me.

If nothing else, I think a Persona 6 made without any input from Hashino would certainly be interesting. I think Atlus has enough talented staff to make a good mainline Persona without him, but I think a great one would be a bit of a stretch.

I'm all in for some P5 spinoffs though. Especially really weird ones like DAN was for P4.

I really identify with the guy crouching under the fern while simultaneously trying to look casual and in frame. I'm sure I've tried that exact move a couple times.

Ulong

Man I'd forgotten how vague all the skills were in persona 4. Like, Gale Slash is learned after Rampage for chie, so it you would think it must be better. But gale force is only "light damage to all foes" while rampage is "light damage to all foes 1-3x"
Meanwhile Chie also learns 3 different single target "light damage" physical attacks.

Dantis

I am not convinced that Wada is capable of making a great game. In all his titles, the gameplay has been really solid, and then everything has been, well, not.

Do you still hold the opinion that the entire second half is significantly weaker, or did you change your mind about that?
Unsure. Before the final dungeon I feel like the narrative stuff in the second half varies between pretty bad and amusing but dumb.

One of the twists (YOU KNOW THE ONE) is one of my least favourite scenes in the whole franchise, alongside the game treating the player like an idiot and also waaaay too many words words words.

I am not convinced that Wada is capable of making a great game. In all his titles, the gameplay has been really solid, and then everything has been, well, not.

Unsure. Before the final dungeon I feel like the narrative stuff in the second half varies between pretty bad and amusing but dumb.

One of the twists (YOU KNOW THE ONE) is one of my least favourite scenes in the whole franchise, alongside the game treating the player like an idiot and also waaaay too many words words words.

The twist itself, or how it's framed?
(Unless of course I don't know the one...)

Dantis

The twist itself, or how it's framed?
(Unless of course I don't know the one...)

I don't think it matters. I'm kind of done bagging on it. I don't think it's a better game than Persona 4, but I think it's a really good one with a really strong message. I also think that P-Studio have once again crafted some of the best characters in any RPG.

Top Bottom