• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

I'm adding Sylvie to my 2nd team for now. The lvl 2 qcf(X2)+P damage is too good to pass up atm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've played KOF for so long, but now I finally realized that it's impossible to do an empty jump low normal doing a safe-jump set-up. Normal Grab beats them every time.

Wait the game allows a reversal normal grab from a hard knockdown? Thought you'd get the normal in that particular situation.
Though in the case of a safe jump setup if you do an empty jump instead you're already not hitting them with a meaty, then you have 1 frame of recovery, then your low normal starts. I can see a close normal being fast enough to beat that regardless, you'll want your low to actually be a meaty itself to win in that scenario.

BadWolf

Had to adjust, the way you dominated most of the screen so well. Nice to face someone who makes you do that.

I'm back in the US Midwest now, so that might be why the connection feels better, but I'd hope it wouldn't make much difference.

Ah you're back, nice. But yeah agreed, played against a bunch of JP players and the netcode really holds up.

Ralf Jones I wish you were better :( maybe a crLK stHP link or command throw.

Up close? He can already combo cr. B into down-forward+A.

KOFXIV Fightclub Cup Top 8: https://t.co/7zUd3zawkG

Grand Finals: https://youtu.be/cwKStvpiNls

The pools and top 8 are really worth watching as well, amazing matches all around. NCR felt like child's play compared to this.

Xiaohai's Iori is basically the comeback king.

ET rocking Billy and Clark all the way, and how.

Here's some footage of KoujiKOG putting some work with Dino

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137621167

His matches begin at the 41 minute mark. Guy knows the character pretty well and I like the way he uses Assault Raptor to keep the pressure but honestly? All the time I was thinking about all the stuff he could do with Dino as middle or Anchor. Why people keep using him as point?

SNK got Tonko (MOTW artist) to create a new piece of art for Tizoc's birthday:

https://www.facebook.com/SNK.KOFWORLD/videos/457693657906293/

What about KOD SNK? Is his birthday too!
tUknyD2.jpg

stn

I Love Heart!!! Great character. Is she the most Street Fighter-ish on the roster? So easy to play, keeping her on my team as point. I might just have to make a combo video, too.

This was expected after some of the bugs people found (Ramon, Love Heart etc.).

Wonder if they will also sneak in some nerfs/buffs...

Yeah, Clark's flashing elbow super cancel into Climax checking for the wrong number of bars during max mode too. Wonder if Sylvie's 420 blaze it is staying or not, not that she wouldn't still be massively improved from pre-2.00 without it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They confirm any more future character dlcs support or is this it?
Looking at a sale and considering

As far as additional support, no, they don't seem to confirm DLC until it's near to release, and ready to be promoted.

From the kind of support they've shown so far, they will offer more. Whether that's just as far as costumes, patches, or refining graphics that are already in the game, we don't know. But they seem to be putting a bunch of energy into treating this as their only current new console release, and with the competition constantly adding new seasons and content, they might use this one release to float them for a while.

And of course get it, it's a hell of a lot of game for any price, sales make it even more easy!

Numb

As far as additional support, no, they don't seem to confirm DLC until it's near to release, and ready to be promoted.

From the kind of support they've shown so far, they will offer more. Whether that's just as far as costumes, patches, or refining graphics that are already in the game, we don't know. But they seem to be putting a bunch of energy into treating this as their only current new console release, and with the competition constantly adding new seasons and content, they might use this one release to float them for a while.

And of course get it, it's a hell of a lot of game for any price, sales make it even more easy!

I see
It's kinda ridiculous we've been conditioned with this drip feeding support over time with fighting games recently that it's weird not having since you'll have a hope of having people you like added
Especially with the rich history of SNK i already like every added character alot...Whip less than alot ;_;

Did the online get a patch? Owned the game before and it was rough. In EU

Hyun Sai

This was expected after some of the bugs people found (Ramon, Love Heart etc.).

Wonder if they will also sneak in some nerfs/buffs...

Honestly I don't like the fact that Clark overhead maintains its property after a chain. He doesn't need that anymore.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I see
It's kinda ridiculous we've been conditioned with this drip feeding support over time with fighting games recently that it's weird not having since you'll have a hope of having people you like added
Especially with the rich history of SNK i already like every added character alot...Whip less than alot ;_;

Did the online get a patch? Owned the game before and it was rough. In EU

I understand why companies do it... but yeah, it often times doesn't feel all that great. SNK has been pretty up front on this game, and offered so much to start, it's a stark contrast to what we usually get now.

(And I love Whip, soo... ahem!)

The online has been patched and improved a few times. At the beginning there was the "Only works well with party mode!" play, and then they fixed that, but lobbies and features went nuts... at this time, there seems to be constant free play rooms up, and while connections can fluctuate, it generally feels pretty good. We have people from multiple countries fighting each other, so maybe it'll be best to ask how they feel about the current situation.

For me, there's some stuff I fail at online more than I wish too, but it's nicer for me than UMVC 3, where I never found ANY games that let me do certain things. Here, the best games let me play like I like, the not-so-great make me rely on things I don't pay as much attention to offline. All definitely playable, and way above the worse I've seen online.

Numb

I understand why companies do it... but yeah, it often times doesn't feel all that great. SNK has been pretty up front on this game, and offered so much to start, it's a stark contrast to what we usually get now.

(And I love Whip, soo... ahem!)

The online has been patched and improved a few times. At the beginning there was the "Only works well with party mode!" play, and then they fixed that, but lobbies and features went nuts... at this time, there seems to be constant free play rooms up, and while connections can fluctuate, it generally feels pretty good. We have people from multiple countries fighting each other, so maybe it'll be best to ask how they feel about the current situation.

For me, there's some stuff I fail at online more than I wish too, but it's nicer for me than UMVC 3, where I never found ANY games that let me do certain things. Here, the best games let me play like I like, the not-so-great make me rely on things I don't pay as much attention to offline. All definitely playable, and way above the worse I've seen online.

Not many games even in the past dropped as many characters at first let alone this climate
Even when Tekken of all fighters is brought into this dlc sheningans you can't help it I guess. Your game feeling like less to the public for no reason smh

I'm glad they went for the online
Was having bad connections with close people forget about overseas
And MvC3? Online complete trash and never went back. Especially being on ps3

All right im getting it
I like snk enough to rebuy it ( and be shit at it like usual don't judge -_-)

Next to Rock, Vannessa and Yamazaki..
Shines way less
Will wait for Hinako and Xiangfei forever

Honestly I don't like the fact that Clark overhead maintains its property after a chain. He doesn't need that anymore.

lol it begins

if they change that for consistency's sake then they'd better make it combo from close C, right now it can only frame trap when cancelled from st.CD

BadWolf

lol it begins

if they change that for consistency's sake then they'd better make it combo from close C, right now it can only frame trap when cancelled from st.CD

Why? Kim's overhead doesn't combo from lights or heavies and also loses its overhead property when used in a string. Heck, at least Clark has a 2 hit close C he can confirm off of, Kim can't confirm off heavy normals at all.

Why? Kim's overhead doesn't combo from lights or heavies and also loses its overhead property when used in a string. Heck, at least Clark has a 2 hit close C he can confirm off of, Kim can't confirm off heavy normals at all.

Well that's wack, dunno what you expect me to say. Regular Kyo's f+B in XIII was also shit but he had df+D so it didn't matter. I said if they did that for that reason they'd better do it that way basically for it not to completely suck.

I honestly thought that was a bug they left out. It can't combo from close C then ? What would you prefer lol ?

He doesn't have a different, faster but more unsafe version of f+B when chained into basically. They're the same move and you can mash to beat it when cancelled into from anything that's not st.CD.

Can't believe this is something that's being even discussed tbh. People will argue every fucking thing. KOF discussion getting stupid everywhere first the discords now this. Even Juicebox's stream chat getting full of fuckery.

Is anybody playing this?

I hopped on for the first time yesterday and got the same three people for two hours straight.

Consider yourself lucky then. Better than one-and-done brain-damaged fucks.

BadWolf

Is anybody playing this?

I hopped on for the first time yesterday and got the same three people for two hours straight.

People are using region filters.

When I play on my Canadian account I get nothing, when playing on the US one there are lots of people playing all the time.

Well that's wack, dunno what you expect me to say. Regular Kyo's f+B in XIII was also shit but he had df+D so it didn't matter. I said if they did that for that reason they'd better do it that way basically for it not to completely suck.

Kim still paying for his XIII sins :p

Not sure why Clark's fwd+B will completely suck if it would need to be used raw to be an overhead when that applies to pretty much everyone in the game (Kim, Bandeiras, Iori, Kyo etc.). Having a quick maxable overhead is a big advantage in this game.

And it's easy to see why people are worried about Clark in 2.0.

When I play on my Canadian account I get nothing, when playing on the US one there are lots of people playing all the time.

Kim still paying for his XIII sins :p

Not sure why Clark's fwd+B will completely suck if it would need to be used raw to be an overhead when that applies to pretty much everyone in the game (Kim, Bandeiras, Iori, Kyo etc.). Having a quick maxable overhead is a big advantage in this game.

And it's easy to see why people are worried about Clark in 2.0.

Of course it wouldn't change raw f+B being good. The change would involve making a different, non overhead "when chained into" version of f+B like many characters have, which I'm saying would be ass if it wasn't also made faster and special cancellable.

BadWolf

Of course it wouldn't change raw f+B being good. The change would involve making a different, non overhead "when chained into" version of f+B like many characters have, which I'm saying would be ass if it wasn't also made faster and special cancellable.

And that's fine, he got plenty of buffs to make up for that.

BadWolf

But asking for the change is some dumb shit in the first place for the reasons I have already mentioned.

Hyun Sai probably on that bullshit just hoping to be able to be like "Ah Ah!" if it ever came to pass

Those reasons aren't good enough when the move would just fall in line with other similar moves in the game.

It's fine to be happy that your character got buffed (as fuck) but what Hyun Sai is suggesting isn't unreasonable when you consider all the tools that are now at Clark's disposal.

Those reasons aren't good enough when the move would just fall in line with other similar moves in the game.

It's fine to be happy that your character got buffed (as fuck) but what Hyun Sai is suggesting isn't unreasonable when you consider all the tools that are now at Clark's disposal.

It would also fall in line if it was changed as I suggested. I will always disagree that a character shouldn't have something just because they "don't need it". If I wanted to play a game where characters have strictly the tools they need to function I wouldn't be playing KOF. Clark doesn't need that shit, it's still fine for him to have it.

And all Hyun Sai wants is salt. You won't convince me otherwise so don't bother.

Consider yourself lucky then. Better than one-and-done brain-damaged fucks.
I didn't get to play them a second or third time. Unfortunately I spent the two hours being booted by those same three people over and over again as soon as they saw my name.

I'm in the US so it shouldn't have been an issue. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I enjoyed what I played. Nice little side game when I need a break from SFV.

So i enjoy playing with both a pad and a stick, but more often than not i'm on a pad (DS4) since the stick is noisy while our baby is sleeping. I finished up the character trials recently and was refreshing my memory with some others, but experiencing frustration at pressing analog triggers a fraction before I wanted to. So I briefly changed the config to use the face buttons for 2x P/K and noticed i wasn't having any trouble.

So i decided i'd pick up a Hori Fighting Commander pad, since it's got 6 face buttons and digital only triggers. It arrived last night so i put it through it's paces, and i'm thoroughly impressed! I'd read online mostly positive reviews, but a few people saying they had trouble with diagonals. No such issue on mine, in fact just watching the direction inputs on screen, it's much more precise than the DS4. The DS4 tends to show extraneous diagonal inputs, sometimes even multiples of the same input in-between a motion. The Fighting Commander is pretty much always showing just the exact inputs i want to press and nothing more.

As i hoped, having the 2x P/K buttons on the face of the controller has made long combos considerably easier to execute. The controller has a switch to swap the identity of the L/R buttons too, which is a blessing for KOF14 since i'm so used to pressing R1 for MAX mode, and the R1 button is now on the face and set to 2xP. With the switch, I can set MAX mode to L1 which is registering in the R1 position. The buttons are larger than the DS4 so they're easier to hit but close enough that you can move from one button to another on the other side quickly. The controller itself is light, but feels good in the hands; the handles are long enough to give good balance without forcing you into a grip.

Just wanted to post those impressions cause i'm just a casual player and normally struggle with consistent execution of long combos, but in just the short time with it so far, can see a marked improvement in that area, so maybe it'd help other players.

Hyun Sai

I even forgot that, thanks for the precision !

Epic meldown

Such display of rage and putting words and intent in my mouth other this is troubling. Sorry guy, you obviously don't need my help to be salty. In fact you need help, simple.

BadWolf

II'm in the US so it shouldn't have been an issue. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I enjoyed what I played. Nice little side game when I need a break from SFV.

Make sure you are searching same region instead of all, also play free match instead of ranked.

I played yesterday using my US account (free match, same region, any connection) after my post to you and there were a whole bunch of people playing across many rooms. Had zero problems finding people to play against for the 2 or so hours I played.

Btw try not to limit yourself to just 3 and 4 bar connections. I get good matches against 1 and 2 bars regularly in XIV.

Just wanted to post those impressions cause i'm just a casual player and normally struggle with consistent execution of long combos, but in just the short time with it so far, can see a marked improvement in that area, so maybe it'd help other players.

Thanks man, been hearing a lot of good about that controller. And yeah, binding shortcut buttons really helps, even players like Reynald do it iirc.

Mostly bug fixes but some nerfs and buffs here and there as well.

Sylvie's SDM damage got nerfed (which it was obvious it would) and Rock's command grab will no longer work against airborne opponents.

Not sure what that Kurkri change is, his EX sand clones still don't nullify projectiles (he just goes through them). I had my fingers crossed they would give back the invincibility to his light flip kick but no cigar :(

BadWolf

BadWolf

LDA Kula finally spotted in Japanese stream. Getting destroyed by Koukou: https://m.twitch.tv/buttonmashersjp?sr=a&desktop-redirect=true

Oh, so he's finally traveling? Feels like Dark Geese has been talking forever about sending him here and there. Wonder if he'll be at Evo.

Checked out the archive and for the most part he got owned. He did well enough against the first player but M' and Koukou got him pretty bad.

His biggest asset by far was Mature, did a lot of work for him. His Angel was good too but I have no idea why he kept waking up with her ranbu super when it has no invincibility.

Kula is fine when he's attacking but the instant he has to defend he gets creamed, feels like the guy can't block for shit.

Looks like M' has added Beni to his team after the Chinese tournament this weekend. It also felt like he spent a lot of time studying Xiaohai's Iori from this weekend as well.

Beni, Kula etc. definitely didn't get nerfed as much as they deserved in 2.0. I'm guessing it's a matter of time before Xiaohai is using Beni as well.

GGs again Badwolf. Thanks for showing me the way I should be playing Nelson; excellent mix-ups. Hopefully I'll have much better strategies next time.

BadWolf

GGs again Badwolf. Thanks for showing me the way I should be playing Nelson; excellent mix-ups. Hopefully I'll have much better strategies next time.

Ggs man, and yeah they did a fantastic job with Nelson, from his design and animation to the gameplay. So fun and slick.

Top Bottom