• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

Edzi

Edzi, I'm curious, why do you keep posting in a community thread for the super best friends when it seems like you legitimately don't like them?

Are you genuinely curious, or is this a not so subtle way of telling me to leave if I'm not going to be super positive about them?

I think most of my posts have been pretty clear about my gradually waning interest in the guys, and I've only recently come to the point where I'm not really watching/listening to any of their content (though I suppose if you're new to the thread, you're only familiar with the later posts I've made which have been almost entirely negative). I still poke in here out of habit and post when I feel like I have something to say, even if that something might not be exactly what you wanna hear. Even then, I try to actually articulate my points without resorting to any blind/drive-by negativity posts.

I was (am?) a big fan of the guys, but I think their quality has been going seriously downhill over the last 2ish years, and I've been pretty vocal about it since I figured this was a discussion thread for them and their content where that kind of stuff could be discussed.

Labolas

Neither do I, I just thought it was funny you referred to them as experts.

Anyway, this is the same tired excuse people use to excuse boring low effort content. Literally nobody expects expert level play from the guys, especially not with something like FNF. What *is* fair to expect though is a tiny bit of effort to maybe make the videos something other than blindly mashing around for 30 minutes. They brought a competitive spirit to brawls at least, but then decided to drop that in favor of the infinitely more braindead FNF.

I've said this exact same thing so often in this thread that it's probably time to stop. This kind of content legit seems to be what their audience​ wants now, so there's no point in bringing this stuff up anymore.

Lol, tbh compared to the Best Friends, they are, but I should worded that better. Oh I know they aren't that great as tourney players. They haven't placed in tourneys in awhile. Gooey went 0-7 in an E-League. But I would never say he's not a player to advice from in SF.

Real talk though I wished they brought back Brawl. That was pretty hyped.

Edzi, you don't have to be head over heels about them, but it seems like you've only posted "oh man I can't believe anyone is still watching them" lately. Especially since you've admitted to not watching their content lately.

There isn't much discussion to be had when you beat the same drum each time.

Edzi

Edzi, you don't have to be head over heels about them, but it seems like you've only posted "oh man I can't believe anyone is still watching them" lately. Especially since you've admitted to not watching their content lately.

There isn't much discussion to be had when you beat the same drum each time.

I've literally never said that, and I only stopped watching/listening to their content *very* recently lol.

But yeah, you guys are technically right. Their core audience seems to have changed drastically as of late, and I should probably just unsub from the thread at this point since my comments seem to be bothering most of you.

Exodust

Banned
Are you genuinely curious, or is this a not so subtle way of telling me to leave if I'm not going to be super positive about them?

I think most of my posts have been pretty clear about my gradually waning interest in the guys, and I've only recently come to the point where I'm not really watching/listening to any of their content (though I suppose if you're new to the thread, you're only familiar with the later posts I've made which have been almost entirely negative). I still poke in here out of habit and post when I feel like I have something to say, even if that something might not be exactly what you wanna hear. Even then, I try to actually articulate my points without resorting to any blind/drive-by negativity posts.

I was (am?) a big fan of the guys, but I think their quality has been going seriously downhill over the last 2ish years, and I've been pretty vocal about it since I figured this was a discussion thread for them and their content where that kind of stuff could be discussed.

That was not a snipe, dude. Throwing passive aggressive jabs at me for asking a question comes off as to how incredibly whiny you can be in this thread. That's a shot at you, but I'll leave the shots at that.

As to your other point, why not just move on? I'm not looking for overtly positive posts on everything they do, an assumption you seem to make about everybody who dares post here saying they may have liked a new video of theirs. Plenty of posters here seem to voice their disappointment when felt, and not slobber on their dicks when they say they enjoyed something they did. You, on the other hand, always make remarks about not liking them, get questioned as to why watch or even talk about them, and only respond with "sorry I'm not circle jerking like the rest of you".

Man, it's been tiring. Just forget about them or the fans if it bothers you. There's better things to do.

Edzi

That was not a snipe, dude. Throwing passive aggressive jabs at me for asking a question comes off as to how incredibly whiny you can be in this thread. That's a shot at you, but I'll leave the shots at that.

As to your other point, why not just move on? I'm not looking for overtly positive posts on everything they do, an assumption you seem to make about everybody who dares post here saying they may have liked a new video of theirs. Plenty of posters here seem to voice their disappointment when felt, and not slobber on their dicks when they say they enjoyed something they did. You, on the other hand, always make remarks about not liking them, get questioned as to why watch or even talk about them, and only respond with "sorry I'm not circle jerking like the rest of you".

Man, it's been tiring. Just forget about them or the fans if it bothers you. There's better things to do.

Uh huh.

joe2187

Banned
Liams Streaming LPs are really really good. His solo LPs have been great and relaxing to watch.

The most minimalist and subtle of streaming overlay I've ever seen and it's the best. He understands my disgust with terrible cluttered streaming overlays.

Jintor

I just liked him in that guide role. Granted I've only really watched him longform on Nier, but he's really good at resisting the urge to spoil shit ahead of time (even vaguely), he's a great guide, and he bounced well off Pat.

I've been watching his solo streams but he falls a little too much into "Oh my god guys, oh my god, can you believe this" to maintain my interest, with the exception of the finale of N:Automata

Roussow

Any of ya'll watched Plague's "documentary" LP of Dark Souls? I was going to give it a go after Pat & Woolie's LP wraps up, especially if it's really good at explaining story content, I've always been a little rusty with my periphery Dark Souls 1 lore.

Edzi

Any of ya'll watched Plague's "documentary" LP of Dark Souls? I was going to give it a go after Pat & Woolie's LP wraps up, especially if it's really good at explaining story content, I've always been a little rusty with my periphery Dark Souls 1 lore.

It's incredibly good. I'd also recommend ENB's (EpicNameBro) Dark Souls 1 playthrough/lorethrough.

Also this.

Fat4all

Banned
It's a little more boring than someone like Epic Name Bro, but it's still an interesting watch.

I'd say watch like 2-3 episodes and you'll know if its the kinda playthrough for you.

Roussow

I've watched ENB's Bloodborne playthrough, thoroughly enjoyed that. I've never thought of going back to the original Dark Souls run. I might give Plague's a go, and if it's too dry i'll just skim through.

Edzi

Don't know much about Epic Name Bro, but I tried to watch some of his Nier: Automata LP and it was awful.

Yeah, he's pretty bad now, but the Dark Souls 1 LP was incredible because of how much he knows about that series. Same with Plague, since he comes to it with his own incredibly interesting point of view.

What *is* fair to expect though is a tiny bit of effort to maybe make the videos something other than blindly mashing around for 30 minutes. They brought a competitive spirit to brawls at least, but then decided to drop that in favor of the infinitely more braindead FNF.

They are under no obligation to provide what you decide is effort. They still get tens of thousands of views each video so clearly there are enough people thinking they're putting in enough effort to watch.

pbayne

Watching a compilation of the brawls. I wish they never stopped doing them. Lol its weird to go back and see how much more effort were put in to them compared to the usual lps.

daevious

They are under no obligation to provide what you decide is effort. They still get tens of thousands of views each video so clearly there are enough people thinking they're putting in enough effort to watch.

They don't need to put in that level of effort but to dismiss someone's annoyance at content they've enjoyed in the past dropping off in quality is a crappy thing to do. Edzi could have worded their complaints a lot better, but I don't think their wrong when it comes to the decline in quality for the Best Friends. Mind you, I don't think the drops bad enough to drop them yet, it'd take a successive string of Ultra Despair Girl-tier LPs to get me to leave.

And while I'm here, claiming video counts as a measure of quality is a baseless argument because quality is not indicative of audience size. Fucking PewDiePie gets millions of views off his videos, but if you tried claiming his content was quality you'd get lynched for it.

ShadyK54

Where exactly does this debate about "effort" stem from? What exactly is the complaint about?

Do people think there really isn't any effort put into their LP's (like they're not being entertaining enough or the game they're LPing isn't what people wanted)? Or is it just people thinking being bad at video games = no effort?

I ask because I've seen it brought up here time and time again, and I'm still unsure as to what the problem is.

They don't need to put in that level of effort but to dismiss someone's annoyance at content they've enjoyed in the past dropping off in quality is a crappy thing to do.

Where did I dismiss the complaint? He can complain all he wants. That doesn't change that he's not entitled to them performing to what he decides is 'a tiny bit of effort'. It's not "fair" for him to expect that.

And while I'm here, claiming video counts as a measure of quality is a baseless argument because quality is not indicative of audience size.

Good thing nobody made the claim that view count equates to quality.

Liams Streaming LPs are really really good. His solo LPs have been great and relaxing to watch.

The most minimalist and subtle of streaming overlay I've ever seen and it's the best. He understands my disgust with terrible cluttered streaming overlays.

I've realized I've only been watching his streams and nothing else from SBF lately. Can't even say I've been listening into the podcasts anymore.

All this Liam slander

Liam was part of some of the best content when he was on the channel. Castlevania, Nier, Anime one-offs, more that I can't remember.

Sometimes I don't know what people want from SBF. I tune in to watch/listen funny guys talk shit, play games and sometimes provide some nice insight on things. I understand people not enjoying them, but I feel like some of the complaints are more for what people want them to be rather than what they are.

ENB's transition to streamer has been pretty rubbish. Just watch his From The Dark series and the Bloodborne LP and you'll see his best stuff.

Liam was part of some of the best content when he was on the channel. Castlevania, Nier, Anime one-offs, more that I can't remember.

Sometimes I don't know what people want from SBF. I tune in to watch/listen funny guys talk shit, play games and sometimes provide some nice insight on things. I understand people not enjoying them, but I feel like some of the complaints are more for what people want them to be rather than what they are.

I watch them because they have the vibe of friends relaxed hanging out on a couch playing games and cracking jokes. Which is a vibe I rarely got with Liam on the controls because he's obviously practiced to the point of trying to pseudo-speedrun things. Which is mostly boring because I don't watch them for high-skill gameplay, that's for sure.

Numb

ENB's transition to streamer has been pretty rubbish. Just watch his From The Dark series and the Bloodborne LP and you'll see his best stuff.

i like sbfp but the only streamers are Aris and Max(exluding all the tourny and speedruns)
Altho i like Lia and Pat i still don't bother much with the solo schtick. When it was all of them those few times i did enjoy tho

Xux

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters is such a beautiful game. One of the rare PSX aesthetics that really hold up.

Having just beaten Nier: Automata and having accepted it as game of the year, I'd love to watch Liam and Pat's streams of it but that's like 24 hours of video, lol.

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters is such a beautiful game. One of the rare PSX aesthetics that really hold up.

Having just beaten Nier: Automata and having accepted it as game of the year, I'd love to watch Liam and Pat's streams of it but that's like 24 hours of video, lol.

Pat's streams got really, really weird sometimes.

Fat4all

Banned
I've not yet latched on to Pat or Liams streams in any sort of consistent way.

I don't frequent too many streams, and the ones I do frequent take up a good amount of my time already.

joe2187

Banned
I've not yet latched on to Pat or Liams streams in any sort of consistent way.

I don't frequent too many streams, and the ones I do frequent take up a good amount of my time already.

Liam edits his streams very cleanly on youtube.

The chillest, most relaxing of streams and engages frequently with the chat without being overly intrusive.

I still watch all the SBFP content, the only thing I havent watched is the WoolieVersus.

Sorry wools...you're Borutogans and Tablelords arent for me.

ShadyK54

The chillest, most relaxing of streams and engages frequently with the chat without being overly intrusive.

I still watch all the SBFP content, the only thing I havent watched is the WoolieVersus.

All you need is that #GreenScreen

I binged all of Pat's stream of Nier Automata this week at work. I'd say if you were interested in it then stick to the parts with his friend Fuggins. I enjoyed Pat's reaction to the ending.

I unexpectedly really enjoy Tablelords. I'd rather it be like a full stream though rather than broken into parts.

In this way he has the best stream of the guys, but for whatever reason I can't even watch his uploads for very long. And I rarely watch streams normally (working over night probably doesn't help... And p5. P5 is sucking up my time like no other game has in a long time. not much time for watching YouTube or even my animes).

Numb

So i've been going through the wiki for a minute now
The quotes section is as good as podcast titles
Gave a laugh alot what a great idea

Just some of my favs

“This might be the fastest start to stupid shit ever.”
— Pat

“I really want to make sure that my Social Link for D-Mob is as high as it can be.”
— Matt

“The girl's just trying to kiss him and he's like, "What attack is this?"”
— Matt

“You just want birds on your ass all day?”
— Woolie

“You know what my dad taught me? How to back down.”
— Woolie

“Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me, 'cause I'm better at Dark Souls than you are, and I'm telling you, you can do this.”
— Pat

“Giving you double thumbs ups with my middle fingers.”
— Pat

“Too bad your chainsaw doesn't have a scope, you fucking turd!”
— Matt

“If I went to church and the dude was pile driving like, a dummy of Satan....”
— Pat

“I like a girl with a wide hit box.”
— Pat

“They bat their eyelashes, and when you look down, your dick is gone.”
— Matt
“The hotter the female spy, the less trustworthy they are.”
— Pat

“Nitroglycerin? The stuff that froze the T-1000!?”
— Matt

“They're just punching my feels organ, whichever one that is. It's probably my kidneys.”
— Pat

“It's glad that there's a hole.”
— Pat

“Oujia Rods. They point to dead people.”
— Liam

“Woolie's like, 'If it ain't BBW Midna, it ain't for me'!”
— Liam

“If I saw Matt wearing apple bottom jeans with the fur, I'd swipe right.”
— Woolie

“Get your historical accuracy out of my face if it's not entertaining. ”
— Matt

“I wanna see if he eats all those chakra balls before the puss gets wet.”
— Pat

“It's like, 'Hey dad, you're a recovering drug addict, watch me smoke this crack.'”
— Liam

“I can't believe how much diabetes I have.”
— Pat

“I hate glaucoma. It's my least favourite status effect.”
— Pat

“Harriet Tubman is not in the bible.”
— Pat

“This copy of Predator: Concrete Jungle has bounced around between more men than Taylor Swift.”
— Matt

“Even Russians have to go poop.”
— Pat

“I wish Sagat had an alternate costume with a second eye patch.”
— Liam

“Are there any benefits to you being naked here?”
— Pat

“Guts is basically a Disney princess.”
— Liam

“You should be more sensitive to people with bad walking animation.”
— Matt

“My butt is my ass.”
— Pat

“I can love a coward if he's got that wiener.”
— Pat

“We're not just clowns; we don't just play so you can watch us die.”
— Matt

“He looks even more racist than normal.”
— Matt

“Back up. Did you just say that a Souls character's dialogue was vague and unclear? That's crazy. That's never happened.”
— Matt

“The first thing I do is instinctively look in my pants.”
— Woolie

“...Ambulances, not to be trusted!”
— Pat

“Ellie is just shoving her face into my murder!”
— Pat

“If I saw a ghost in a forest, I'd fucking.. I'd kill myself.”
— Matt

“So you can fight her in your ghost form?”
— Pat

“You know what really boils my piss?”
— Matt

“All the greatest heroes have died for nothing.”
— Pat

“See that thigh gap Cammy's rocking? Thuggery.”
— Woolie

“Boobs and skulls, my two favorite things.”
— Matt

“Shawn Michaels once posed for Playgirl. That's all the info I'm dropping today.”
— Matt

“The final piece of the puzzle was Freddie Mercury.”
— Woolie

Did i say some?
Meant a couple

Top Bottom