• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me or does Labor have no idea what it's doing with the NEG ? Their public position appears to be opposition but they are back grounding media that they might support it BUT also that it's insufficient and won't meet the Paris Targets and they'd likely adjust it when they were in government.

That cannot possibly lead to the certainty to convince people to invest in energy.

It's also setting themselves up to look as courageous and principled as they do on Civil Liberties (ie not at all).

What is this (okay these 3 separate) position supposed to achieve ?

Is it me or does Labor have no idea what it's doing with the NEG ? Their public position appears to be opposition but they are back grounding media that they might support it BUT also that it's insufficient and won't meet the Paris Targets and they'd likely adjust it when they were in government.

That cannot possibly lead to the certainty to convince people to invest in energy.

It's also setting themselves up to look as courageous and principled as they do on Civil Liberties (ie not at all).

Probably just trying to shut the government up and get it off the table. It's clear that one of the two integral parts of the "Kill Bill" strategy is energy along with union bashing and this mostly neuters the attacks coming from the first. It also takes the wind out of the sails of the crossbench, NXT, ONP etc...

Jintor

i guess you could say they're getting negged

Probably just trying to shut the government up and get it off the table. It's clear that one of the two integral parts of the "Kill Bill" strategy is energy along with union bashing and this mostly neuters the attacks coming from the first. It also takes the wind out of the sails of the crossbench, NXT, ONP etc...

But they are taking a publicly opposed stance right now. So it's going to look like they lost , if that's their calculation.

And since they've got it on pretty much public background they intend to change it later anyway , it's not going to provide certainty ( so if investment doesn't tick up then Turnbull will actually be semi-justified in blaming Shorten).

But they are taking a publicly opposed stance right now. So it's going to look like they lost , if that's their calculation.

And since they've got it on pretty much public background they intend to change it later anyway , it's not going to provide certainty ( so if investment doesn't tick up then Turnbull will actually be semi-justified in blaming Shorten).

I suspect the plan is to wave this through and ride into government when the electricity prices don't go down by 2019 and propose a change in time for the election. It's all about trying to catch out the government for the 6 pm news at the moment especially when it looks like they have included a carbon price proxy and trading scheme and are either denying it or they just don't understand their own plan. Both sides are looking to 2019 atm, no one cares about ideological consistency.

Also, Tony Windsor and Rob Oakshott have nothing on Winston Peters across the ditch!

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-shot-down-by-the-senate-20171019-gz47yf.html

Another happy bit of news, the next round of Uni 'reforms' getting knocked back. Probably just temporary what with who knows what the senate will look like soon.

I don't think the Senate changes cause any ideological differences* except maybe to NXT and that won't happen until gears up for SA state elections and stops paying attention.

I suppose you could theoretically get a less nuttier PHON member but that seems unlikely.

* Nash might get replaced by a Lib which might be a tiny improvement but not on this matter.

* Nash might get replaced by a Lib which might be a tiny improvement but not on this matter.

This is a good point, the next two in line are libs. Hollie Hughes has a fractious relationship with the right wing libs, especially CFW and after that is General Jim Molan. Would probably result in the Nats losing a cabinet member as well, that wouldn't go down well.

Though both Sinodinas and "Wacka" Williams have serious health issues so a pickable replacement may be up for grabs soon.

God damn it, the Marriage Survey thread turned into name calling and drive by shit posting as soon as a No person appeared . I'm on mobile and can't find a mod to contact , would someone mind pointing it out to a community mod and explaining the context please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom